Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
12-10 ONLY Rhino sells "Let It Bleed Book at 20% off
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 10, 2010 16:53

Move fast...

[www.rhino.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-11 17:34 by loog droog.

Re: TODAY ONLY Rhino sells "Let It Bleed Book at 20% off
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 10, 2010 16:56

If only I had a spare $750.

Date: December 10, 2010 17:25

I know.

Too much for me, even at this rate.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 10, 2010 20:16

Now I salivate like a Pavlov dog tongue sticking out smiley

But let's wait a bit longer..........
This is THE book I always wanted to have ,but I will never put 500 € for it.
I wouldn't even pay that much to be able to spend a night with Jagger .....

PS:It's a French joke .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-08 19:48 by SwayStones.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 11, 2010 01:11

This book has been doomed from the start. Overpriced, "limited" to an unreasonable amount of copies. What's next? Oh yeah : a bargain price (150$?) which is what it should have cost in the 1st place.
(Let me add I think ER is a GREAT photographer).

Posted by: erussell ()
Date: December 11, 2010 16:02

I know a lot of folks complain about the price. Makes me sad. So I want to share the fact that the book costs more than the $150 (someone said it should cost) just to make. It is simply quite a beautiful thing. Dominique Tarle (you know him and his extraordinary work) said: "I have never seen anything like it before and I believe it is a work of art . And it is certainly the only book on the Rolling Stones that I'd consider buying." He did by the way. You can see more of what people have said about it here: [bit.ly]

It took me six years - really - to write and put it together. So, not to take away from anyone's opinion or feelings abut price, 750 copies in the deluxe (and 1600 of the Standard - exact same book by the way) in a world of billions seems not so many.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: December 11, 2010 16:35

It's says 760$ but when you check out it's 950$ again??

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 11, 2010 17:27

Feel stupid but I can't find it!

C

Re: 12-10 ONLY Rhino sells "Let It Bleed Book at 20% off
Date: December 11, 2010 17:37

I changed the subject title.

Rhino has been running a "12 Days of Christmas" promo where every day a different item is marked down for one day only.

Sorry for the confusion.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: December 11, 2010 17:50

My two cents: This is a sad story of a great project. It is a beautiful book but is priced at its sold out aftermarket value. I understand the economics of such projects only too well and indeed they are very expensive to put together but a slight adjustment to the relative run volumes and priced at more like $425 and $750 these would have sold out in months and now have been worth more than their current retail prices.

As a collectible product marketeer you have to leave value in it for the collector. Sadly the publisher would have made more money and had much less sales & marketing costs selling out at a slightly more reasonable price than spending decades trying to sell these through at the current prices. Sadly you can't correct this mistake without damaging your relationship with the most die hard collectors that paid the original high price.

Tarle's deluxe book was 'only' $600, sold out in weeks and now sells for circa $3,500.

Matt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-11 18:08 by mattleeuk.

Posted by: mikey ()
Date: December 11, 2010 18:14

Although I VERY rarely post here, I would like to offer up the thought that this book which I've had in my possession for the last three years is quite simply exquisite and for me is the one book on the Stones that I would cling onto in preference to any others.

Spanning the years 1968-1969 it's captures a moment in a way that even "Exile" doesn't of the Stones rising above difficulties that would have finished off most other bands and focuses on what for many devotees was their greatest tour ever as they unleashed their energies on a series of concerts through North America in late '69.

My first introduction to Ethan Russell's work was his photos for the sleeve of "Through the Past Darkly" and the subsequent, "Get Yer Ya-Ya's" out sleeve. I was mightily impressed then and the fact that the guy was prepared to invest the amount of time that is required to make a book such as "Let it Bleed" into the quality production that it is, is something that we should be praising not seeking to question the artist's motives.

I frankly don't care whether or not the book is as good an investment as Genesis's "Exile", I just know I prefer "Let it Bleed". In my opinion Russell is by far the better photographer and has captured what for me was a momentous period for the Rolling Stones in a way that no other book on the Stones can.

It's definitely the book that I would choose for my desert island library.

Date: December 11, 2010 18:46

loog droog

Rhino has been running a "12 Days of Christmas" promo where every day a different item is marked down for one day only.

Sorry for the confusion.

So when is it for sale at 760$? Tomorrow?

Date: December 11, 2010 19:38

Harm
loog droog

Sorry for the confusion.

So when is it for sale at 760$? Tomorrow?

Yesterday.

Date: December 11, 2010 21:51

Next time then maybe

Posted by: stonesseventytwo ()
Date: December 12, 2010 14:55

It is a nice book but I can't see paying $650.00 for a book made in China. It probably cost $ 1.25 to make there. eye popping smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-12 15:35 by stonesseventytwo.

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: December 12, 2010 15:23

Dear Mr. Russell
I apologize in advance for what I say and perhaps not the will and pleasure, and for my bad English of course.
I always appreciate his work, I think one of the best artists who have ever photographed the stones and understand his views and his hard work lasted six years to achieve the book.
But the world isn't made only by people who can pay huge figures to realize a dream, a passion.
I think if the total printing of the book were increased could sell the book to a figure certainly less, while maintaining the same quality.

my two cents

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: December 12, 2010 16:46

6 years to achieve a book. How many hours did he spent on it every day?. 3 minutes. What was his work after the exile period? He is not a star, he was lucky to share some times with keith at nellcote and that's all. A photo is not a painting, he sells pictures a high price and can make all the copies he wants. He could print books on cheaper edition and get same money cause he'll sell so much more copies and will make a lot of happy owners of this book.!

Posted by: erussell ()
Date: December 12, 2010 17:43

At the risk of appearing like a puppy dog who has been praised I have to thank mikey for his kind comments. It is - as anyone might imagine - tremendously satisfying to think one's hard work has been both understood and appreciated to the degree he expresses. So I am unabashedly grateful to him.

LET IT BLEED was produced to be truly the very best I could make it (and Rhino). One can try that hard and not succeed (I have) but in this case I think we got there, at least within a reasonable assessment. Many people (many is a fair word) have placed it at the top - if not the top - of these kind of efforts, Say what you will. Re: Pricing/edition size. These were set with best of ability of the people setting them, one has to say.

I took the book back from another publisher - you figure it out - because they did not want to make the same serious, quality book I did. It could have been cheaper. It wouldn't have been as good, as thorough, as well designed and produced.

I have to thank mikey again. As for Dominique I love his work, esp Nellecote, it is incomparable. We did a joint show in Paris together. It was quite wonderful. I blogged about it here. http://huff.to/g2qB6d Enjoy.

Ethan

Posted by: lox ()
Date: December 12, 2010 17:54

Funny coincidence: Just a couple of days ago I flipped through my copy of E. Russell's "Let it bleed"-book and realized again how truly FANTASTIC it is. It takes you on a time trip back to 1969, especially while listening to "Get Yer Ya-Ya's out!" A simply stunning piece of art, without a question my favourite book on the Rolling Stones, maybe even my favourite book in my library; definitively the most precious...

I have no idea whether from a collector's point of view Rhino's publishing strategy could have been smarter to increase the virtual value of this book like Tarle's "Exile", but I think "Let it Bleed" is in it's own right a wonderful item. It is expensive but the price is justified because of it's value, if you are willing to pay $ 750-950 at all for a book (like some people do for rare LP-editions with the same songs over and over again...)

The bottom-line: This book is great, I enjoy it, I am happy to own it!

Date: December 12, 2010 18:12

Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-12 18:45 by Harm.

Date: January 8, 2011 15:22

It will be my new baby tomorrow......

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 8, 2011 17:51

btw...someone told me the Delaney & Bonnie box set is awesome

Posted by: Mainman ()
Date: January 8, 2011 19:40

Having seen the book first hand in all its glory, it's hard not to covet such a magnificent and beautifully presented piece of work.

In my humble opinion, it is well worth it, IF you have the money!

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 8, 2011 19:51

aprilfool
6 years to achieve a book. How many hours did he spent on it every day?. 3 minutes. .

aprilfool , much to my surprise, you are talking like a good capitalist does,right now winking smiley

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: January 9, 2011 11:09

Does anyone know if there is a possibility to buy the book in Europe, preferably in UK/London ?

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: January 9, 2011 18:10

Rip This
btw...someone told me the Delaney & Bonnie box set is awesome
It's very good , but awesome is a bit strong for 4cds in a cardboard box made to look like a flight case and a small reproduction hand written book,costing £50 plus shipping,half the cost would have been expensive for what is a 41 year old set of gigs, all be it extremely well played gigs.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 9, 2011 18:28

erussell

LET IT BLEED was produced to be truly the very best I could make it...

Ethan

I couldn't afford to buy it, but those who did seem to be very happy with their book.

Do you have any plans to make available more photos from the Through The Past Darkly session where the band posed for shots at Docks, in arches etc?

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 9, 2011 18:57

Mr. Russell, thank you for sharing the background of your book with us.

I wish I could have it. At this point, I think I'd be happier saving up for a larger print of just one of your photos.
Do you sell those directly or only through dealers? (Email me, if you like.)

Date: January 9, 2011 19:57

It's fantastic

Date: January 10, 2011 20:04

Fantastic.......but, does this look new to you? confused smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1640
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home