Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
No Chuck Berry songs on this tour?
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: November 1, 2012 20:13

In 97/98 we got Little Queenie. On No Security they brought back Route 66. In 2002 they had no Chuck Berry songs (Neighbors on the B-stage was close enough). On A Bigger Bang, no Chuck Berry songs.

Now, we've seen that they did Route 66 (wish the audio/video would surface!) but that seems to be the only Berry-ish tune. I know they are playing It's All Over Now and The Last Time, which are going to SLAY, but I really wish they'd play some Berry tunes!

Sweet Little Rock'n Roller?
Carol?
Around and Around?

So many great tunes. I'd pay $800 to just hear them play Chuck Berry songs for two hours!!

Did I miss anything? Did they rehearse some tracks and I just didn't see it, or are they dropping ye olde Chuck tunes from the setlist?

Its just a shame... Ya Ya's has two Chuck Berry songs on it!! And now it has been 14 years without one!

Re: No Chuck Berry songs on this tour?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 1, 2012 20:19

keith and chuck berry hate each other now...look no further.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: November 1, 2012 20:20

They should pay their dime to Chuck Berry. Keith owes him a lot to say the least. As Carol threw me in the Stones thing I would encline to hear this one. For the last time.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 1, 2012 20:26

"IORR" has taken the role as the "Chuck Berry" tune of the tour for years now.

People have been saying that they've dropped the Berry tunes ever since the Johnnie Johnson vs Chuck Berry lawsuit as a way to side with Johnnie. Not sure I buy into that one.

Date: November 1, 2012 20:27

Justin
"IORR" has taken the role as the "Chuck Berry" tune of the tour for years now.

People have been saying that they've dropped the Berry tunes ever since the Johnnie Johnson vs Chuck Berry lawsuit as a way to side with Johnnie. Not sure I buy into that one.

then you believe in coincidences. i don't.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: November 1, 2012 20:35

I don't get it... All Chuck Berry songs are based on Johnie Johnson piano riffs... So playing a Chuck Berry song is playing a Johnie Johnson tune. Seems like they aren't helping Johnson by not playing tunes he wrote.

Date: November 1, 2012 20:37

Route 66 is the closest, so far... Theyre playing his version...

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 1, 2012 20:39

Drop the covers.

Make the setlist all Jagger-Richards & Nanker Phelge.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 1, 2012 20:43

Anyone care to fill me in on what exactly went down between Chuck and Keith for the eventual falling out?

I assume things were patched up in time for Keith's honoring Chuck in Boston earlier this year?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 1, 2012 20:46

I assume things were patched up in time for Keith's honoring Chuck in Boston earlier this year

.......maybe they should have been at the Oscars instead ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 1, 2012 21:15

Shame about that conflict!
Among the Stones' absolutely best stuff is doing Berry songs . .

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 1, 2012 21:20

er...didn't they open with Route 66 at the Trabendo taking everyone by surprise ?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 1, 2012 21:29

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-01 21:30 by ryanpow.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 1, 2012 21:34

gotdablouse
er...didn't they open with Route 66 at the Trabendo taking everyone by surprise ?

Only . .No Berry song . .!

Date: November 1, 2012 21:35

gotdablouse

absolutely. looks like that keith-bobby troup feud has finally been settled.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: November 1, 2012 21:35

Looks like a b$#%tchfight winking smiley

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 1, 2012 21:55

I don't think the 'tour' set has been determined. Chuck may put a Berry number in one of the 2 hour shows...

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 1, 2012 22:00

flacnvinyl
I don't get it... All Chuck Berry songs are based on Johnie Johnson piano riffs... So playing a Chuck Berry song is playing a Johnie Johnson tune. Seems like they aren't helping Johnson by not playing tunes he wrote.

It wouldn't matter anyway for JJ's part as (1) JJ agreed not to take songwriting credit on the music he composed [CB merely draped his verses over the chord progressions JJ came up with] and (2) JJ has been dead since 2005.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-01 22:00 by stonesnow.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 1, 2012 22:31

CousinC
gotdablouse

Only . .No Berry song . .!

Yeah but close enough ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-01 22:32 by gotdablouse.

Date: November 1, 2012 22:38

Munichhilton
I don't think the 'tour' set has been determined. Chuck may put a Berry number in one of the 2 hour shows...

something from the sea level days, prolly?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 1, 2012 22:45

StonesTod
Munichhilton

It would be worth ticket price to watch the Level Stones try and pull off Scarborough Fair in a rock/jazz/blues fusion sort of way.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 1, 2012 22:58

Please don't mistake Bobby Troup for Chuck Berry.
Back when I was a starving college student & musician, I use to deliver pizza to the Troup household. His wife, Julie (London) was a generous tipper. They were real nice folks.

Date: November 1, 2012 22:58

Munichhilton
StonesTod
Munichhilton

It would be worth ticket price to watch the Level Stones try and pull off Scarborough Fair in a rock/jazz/blues fusion sort of way.

light the fusion, baby

Date: November 1, 2012 22:59

BluzDude
Please don't mistake Bobby Troup for Chuck Berry.
Back when I was a starving college student & musician, I use to deliver pizza to the Troup household. His wife, Julie (London) was a generous tipper. They were real nice folks.

julie - from santa rosa - one of my fave singers of alltime....

Posted by: justamomentita ()
Date: November 1, 2012 23:19

stonesnow
flacnvinyl

It wouldn't matter anyway for JJ's part as (1) JJ agreed not to take songwriting credit on the music he composed [CB merely draped his verses over the chord progressions JJ came up with] and (2) JJ has been dead since 2005.

I'm sure the Rolling Stones have paid CB and JJ in full. Lots of acknowledgement
over the years, and I am sure a good boost in CB record sales, and of course Stu
and KR helped JJ's life get turned around and proper recognition.
On the other hand, would have been nice to have CB cover some Stones songs.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 1, 2012 23:41

When I saw the Stones on the No Security Tour in Anaheim, CA, Mick said, "Our next song is ROUTE 66, which we are playing tonight because its composer, Bobby Troup, died two days ago." Mick made no mention of Chuck Berry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-01 23:42 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 1, 2012 23:54

Other than Mick Taylor & Bill Wyman, the ONLY "Special Guest" I'd like to see on stage with the Stones at one of these four shows would be Chuck Berry. Play two of his songs and let the whole world know of the debt they owe the man. I don't expect to be at the shows but if Chuck were announced in advance, I'd consider shelling out the big bucks just to see him up there with the Stones.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: November 1, 2012 23:56

Title5Take1
When I saw the Stones on the No Security Tour in Anaheim, CA, Mick said, "Our next song is ROUTE 66, which we are playing tonight because its composer, Bobby Troup, died two days ago." Mick made no mention of Chuck Berry.

that's cos keith hates chuck and wouldn't let mick mention him....

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 2, 2012 00:05

They play IORR. They could play Star Star. That's enough for me. If they're going to dip into the oldies catalogue, I would love to hear King Bee, Mannish Boy and Stop Breaking Down.

some grandmama start breakin down on me!

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: November 2, 2012 00:06

Could history repeat?...........

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1197
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home