Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
The Rolling Stones’ Chuck Leavell: ‘Great to be back together’ and rocking rehearsals
Date: November 1, 2012 12:34

A recent interview with Chuck Leavell on http://localspins.com. Here the Stones related parts:

The Rolling Stones’ longtime keyboard player comments on the legendary band and the excitement of upcoming concerts in an exclusive Spins on Music interview.

"Lots of smiles, and everyone is in fantastic shape and looking forward to getting this in front of the fans."

He’s the fifth – and often overlooked – member of The Rolling Stones.

But as “the world’s greatest rock ‘n’ roll band” rehearses in Paris for its first major concerts in more than five years, keyboard legend Chuck Leavell is in the thick of the reunion hubbub, helping draw up set lists for the band’s four much-ballyhooed shows in London and New Jersey.

The Rolling Stones made a big media splash this week when they performed a “surprise” concert at a tiny 700-capacity nightclub in northern Paris, wowing fans in the intimate setting with their 75-minute “warm-up” show, according to Reuters and other news agencies. Although tied up in rehearsals, Leavell emailed me to say that the “gig went great, as all the media is reporting.” (Another one of those media reports here.)

For an astonishing three decades, Leavell has been the Stones’ keyboard player, bolstering the iconic music of Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood.

[...]

I recently interviewed Leavell while he was in Paris rehearsing for those upcoming shows with the Rolling Stones, following up on an earlier Q & A that I conducted with him prior to the canceled Mayer tour. Here are excerpts from those interviews:

Q: The Stones play four arena shows – Nov. 25 and 29 at London’s O2 Arena and Dec. 13 and 15 at Newark’s Prudential Center – as part of their long-anticipated 50th anniversary celebration. How excited are you to be part of this legendary live band again and what sort of preparations are involved?
A: It has been over five years now since we have played a show, so it is just great to be back together again running through all these wonderful tunes. We are in Paris rehearsing and it is going really well. Lots of smiles, and everyone is in fantastic shape and looking forward to getting this in front of the fans. We’ve had about two weeks’ rehearsal so far and have another couple of weeks before we get to production rehearsals.

Q: What are you hearing about the prospects for a full-fledged tour by the Stones?
A: No word on that at all for the moment. The focus is totally on these upcoming shows and no discussions of any further activity will take place until these are done. So we all have to wait and see.

Q: The impressive new Stones’ single, “Doom and Gloom,” will be included in a compilation with another new song. Were you part of the recording sessions?
A: Yes, I play on both the new tunes. My organ part is a bit buried in the mix on “Doom and Gloom,” which is a drag for me, but if you listen closely, you’ll hear it. I’m more prominent on the other tune we recorded, “One More Shot.” It has not been released yet, but will be on the compilation. Both were recorded in Paris the third week in August.

Q: You’ve been playing with the band for so many years. How do you describe your role and what makes being on stage with them such a treat?
A: Yeah, 30 years now. Hard to believe. My role has morphed through all those years and is now sort of unofficial or defacto musical director. I’ve kept meticulous notes through the years of all the rehearsals we’ve done, made charts of most all the songs, made note of all the tempos, have pretty much written the set lists for the last 18 years. I’ve been working on the draft set lists for the upcoming shows in the last few days, and we’ll start honing in on the presentation soon. For now, we’ve just been going through the “big list” and have touched on something like 60 to 70 songs. Of course, we’ll cull that down soon and get to a more reasonable number. But it is a really fun process to go through and we’ve all enjoyed it.

Re: The Rolling Stones’ Chuck Leavell: ‘Great to be back together’ and rocking rehearsals
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: November 1, 2012 12:40

"He’s the fifth – and often overlooked – member of The Rolling Stones."

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll stop right there,

I've already said too much.

Re: The Rolling Stones’ Chuck Leavell: ‘Great to be back together’ and rocking rehearsals
Date: November 1, 2012 12:44

GravityBoy

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll stop right there,

I've already said too much.

I knew, people would react like this grinning smiley. Always thought Mick Jagger does the set lists, Chuck Leavell says, he does them???

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-01 12:49 by StrawberriesBlueberries.

Date: November 1, 2012 12:49

Date: November 1, 2012 13:04

Yes, I play on both the new tunes. My organ part is a bit buried in the mix on “Doom and Gloom,” which is a drag for me, but if you listen closely, you’ll hear it.

Not a drag for us Chuck.. don't worry about that.

I’m more prominent on the other tune we recorded, “One More Shot.”

Damn, damn, damn.

I don't like this guy (did you guess?)

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 1, 2012 13:08

Thanks for posting, I never was a big fan of Chuck but seeing him interact up close with the band and especially Mick the other day at the Trabendo made me warm up to the guy, if he wasn't there the band probably wouldn't be touring...

We’ve had about two weeks’ rehearsal so far and have another couple of weeks before we get to production rehearsals.

ok so does that mean they're about to move to London in a big shed where the stage has been set up? It seems they started rehearsing around the 8th so...

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 1, 2012 13:12

Fifth member of the Stones? Do me a favour...

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: November 1, 2012 13:12

StrawberriesBlueberries
A recent interview with Chuck Leavell on http://localspins.com. Here the Stones related parts:

The Rolling Stones’ longtime keyboard player comments on the legendary band and the excitement of upcoming concerts in an exclusive Spins on Music interview.

"Lots of smiles, and everyone is in fantastic shape and looking forward to getting this in front of the fans."

But as “the world’s greatest rock ‘n’ roll band” rehearses in Paris for its first major concerts in more than five years, keyboard legend Chuck Leavell is in the thick of the reunion hubbub, helping draw up set lists for the band’s four much-ballyhooed shows in London and New Jersey.

The Rolling Stones made a big media splash this week when they performed a “surprise” concert at a tiny 700-capacity nightclub in northern Paris, wowing fans in the intimate setting with their 75-minute “warm-up” show, according to Reuters and other news agencies. Although tied up in rehearsals, Leavell emailed me to say that the “gig went great, as all the media is reporting.” (Another one of those media reports here.)

For an astonishing three decades, Leavell has been the Stones’ keyboard player, bolstering the iconic music of Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood.

[...]

I recently interviewed Leavell while he was in Paris rehearsing for those upcoming shows with the Rolling Stones, following up on an earlier Q & A that I conducted with him prior to the canceled Mayer tour. Here are excerpts from those interviews:

Q: The Stones play four arena shows – Nov. 25 and 29 at London’s O2 Arena and Dec. 13 and 15 at Newark’s Prudential Center – as part of their long-anticipated 50th anniversary celebration. How excited are you to be part of this legendary live band again and what sort of preparations are involved?
A: It has been over five years now since we have played a show, so it is just great to be back together again running through all these wonderful tunes. We are in Paris rehearsing and it is going really well. Lots of smiles, and everyone is in fantastic shape and looking forward to getting this in front of the fans. We’ve had about two weeks’ rehearsal so far and have another couple of weeks before we get to production rehearsals.

Q: What are you hearing about the prospects for a full-fledged tour by the Stones?
A: No word on that at all for the moment. The focus is totally on these upcoming shows and no discussions of any further activity will take place until these are done. So we all have to wait and see.

Q: The impressive new Stones’ single, “Doom and Gloom,” will be included in a compilation with another new song. Were you part of the recording sessions?
A: Yes, I play on both the new tunes. My organ part is a bit buried in the mix on “Doom and Gloom,” which is a drag for me, but if you listen closely, you’ll hear it. I’m more prominent on the other tune we recorded, “One More Shot.” It has not been released yet, but will be on the compilation. Both were recorded in Paris the third week in August.

Q: You’ve been playing with the band for so many years. How do you describe your role and what makes being on stage with them such a treat?
A: Yeah, 30 years now. Hard to believe. My role has morphed through all those years and is now sort of unofficial or defacto musical director. I’ve kept meticulous notes through the years of all the rehearsals we’ve done, made charts of most all the songs, made note of all the tempos, have pretty much written the set lists for the last 18 years. I’ve been working on the draft set lists for the upcoming shows in the last few days, and we’ll start honing in on the presentation soon. For now, we’ve just been going through the “big list” and have touched on something like 60 to 70 songs. Of course, we’ll cull that down soon and get to a more reasonable number. But it is a really fun process to go through and we’ve all enjoyed it.

Something like a secretary with a beard!

Date: November 1, 2012 13:18

gotdablouse
Thanks for posting, I never was a big fan of Chuck but seeing him interact up close with the band and especially Mick the other day at the Trabendo made me warm up to the guy, if he wasn't there the band probably wouldn't be touring...

We’ve had about two weeks’ rehearsal so far and have another couple of weeks before we get to production rehearsals.

ok so does that mean they're about to move to London in a big shed where the stage has been set up? It seems they started rehearsing around the 8th so...

I think I read one or two days ago, that somebody, who attended the club/theatre shows and gave his review, mentioned, the band would leave Paris for London today or in a few days. I can't remember or find, where I read it. So no guarantee!

Addition: The Complete Works claims, that rehearsals started on about October 1 already.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-01 13:25 by StrawberriesBlueberries.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 1, 2012 13:21

He's the often overlooked grave digger of the Rolling Stones ...

Date: November 1, 2012 13:25

He's the musical bus driver.

There are other bus drivers.

I was thinking of starting a thread... "Chuck Leavell - Great musical contributions to Stones Recordings".

But I couldn't think what to write after that.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 1, 2012 13:27

chuck's #1 in my book...the others are just lucky to be in his band. no lie.

Date: November 1, 2012 13:41

About musical direction:

"Keith is the musical director, as far as I'm concerned. He's the band master. But they do look to me to set tempos, to give cues when certain parts of songs come in, and also to help suggest arrangements...

I'm big on the theory of the big picture. Throwing solos at me doesn't really make sense for the Rolling Stones. What does make sense is to blend in and do what Stu used to call "diamond tiaras". He said, You know, I like to hear those diamond tiaras. And that's those sparkly bits on the high end (remember that, Chuck!) of the piano that pop up occasionally in those boogie-woogie songs. And that's part of what this gig is all about".

- Chuck Leavell, 1994

Date: November 1, 2012 13:42

You guys can deride him all you like I'm convinced they wouldn't be playing anymore if they didn't have him to fall back on.

@StrawberriesBlueberries - October 1st sounds a bit early, and Chuck was interviewed after the Trabendo so October 8th sounds more likely (two weeks in rehearsals), but who knows. I've posted that quote in the rehearsals thread too.

Date: November 1, 2012 13:49

StonesTod
chuck's #1 in my book...the others are just lucky to be in his band. no lie.

Agree, Chuck's Punch and Judy Show, called The Rolling Stones ...

Date: November 1, 2012 13:51

I wish Chuck had been there back in '68.

It could have been so much better.

Date: November 1, 2012 13:51

gotdablouse
You guys can deride him all you like I'm convinced they wouldn't be playing anymore if they didn't have him to fall back on.

@StrawberriesBlueberries - October 1st sounds a bit early, and Chuck was interviewed after the Trabendo so October 8th sounds more likely (two weeks in rehearsals), but who knows. I've posted that quote in the rehearsals thread too.

Well...

Date: November 1, 2012 13:59

gotdablouse

I don't think the interview was done after the Trabendo, if you read the article carefully.

The autor says: "The Rolling Stones made a big media splash this week when they performed a 'surprise' concert at a tiny 700-capacity nightclub in northern Paris" [...] "Although tied up in rehearsals, Leavell emailed me to say that the 'gig went great, as all the media is reporting.'" [...] "I recently interviewed Leavell while he was in Paris rehearsing for those upcoming shows with the Rolling Stones, following up on an earlier Q & A that I conducted with him prior to the canceled Mayer tour. Here are excerpts from those interviews".

So I think the interview was done before the Trabendo, and after the gig Chuck gave his actual impressions of the event per e-mail, maybe because the journalist wanted to include this also in his coming article and asked him for his opinion. Surely Chuck would have been asked in the interview about the Trabendo gig, if it had taken place already then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-01 16:53 by StrawberriesBlueberries.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 1, 2012 14:02

DandelionPowderman
About musical direction:

"Keith is the musical director, as far as I'm concerned. He's the band master. - Chuck Leavell, 1994

It is interesting to compare that quote from 18 years ago (by the way, VOODOO LOUNGE was the first tour by Chuck's set lists) into the recent one:

"My role has morphed through all those years and is now sort of unofficial or defacto musical director."

Things really have changed and "morphed"... or just more self-confidence? Or did not Keith sing "losing My Touch" for nothing?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-01 14:05 by Doxa.

Date: November 1, 2012 14:05

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
About musical direction:

"Keith is the musical director, as far as I'm concerned. He's the band master. - Chuck Leavell, 1994

It is interesting to compare that quote from 18 years ago (by the way, VOODOO LOUNGE was the first tour by Chuck's set lists) into the recent one:

"My role has morphed through all those years and is now sort of unofficial or defacto musical director."

Things really have changed and "morphed"... or just more self-confidence?

- Doxa

Yeah, and on the clip I posted above, Mick was clearly the MD winking smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 1, 2012 14:11

Let's get some things straight: Chuck is NOT a member of the Stones, and he is NOT a music legend.

Chuck is a mediocre tinkler with bad taste for clothing, and he has a beard.

Mathijs

Date: November 1, 2012 14:13

DandelionPowderman
gotdablouse

Well...

A good example for that the smaller bang is the bigger bang ...

Date: November 1, 2012 14:17

That was just one song...again I'm not a big fan of Chuck or of his "sound" but I'm 100% we have him to thank for the Stones still playing live these days...and yes we first read about his influence in Rolling Stone in August 1994 (the one where they have masks on the cover). I also remember reading that he was "crushed" not to have been invited to participate in the B2B sessions, but of course he got the call for the B2B tour.

@StrawberriesBlueberries - thanks for the detective work, I guess we'll soon know if the rehearsals in Paris are over or not...

Date: November 1, 2012 14:28

Mathijs
Let's get some things straight: Chuck is NOT a member of the Stones, and he is NOT a music legend.

Chuck is a mediocre tinkler with bad taste for clothing, and he has a beard.

Mathijs

Yep.

The "legend" bit made me laugh.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: November 1, 2012 15:31

Just imagine "She's a rainbow" with Bearded Guy, it will be amazing! That horrible sick piano player Nicky Hopkins just ruined it. We want more beards!!

BTW,

Brian Jones must be, as we say in Argentina, spinning in his grave!!

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-01 15:33 by dandelion1967.

Date: November 1, 2012 15:35

dandelion1967
Just imagine "She's a rainbow" with Bearded Guy, it will be amazing! That horrible sick piano player Nicky Hopkins just ruined it. We want more beards!!

BTW,

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: November 1, 2012 15:38

DandelionPowderman
dandelion1967

BTW,

Yep, but with The Great Beard (aka Fifht Member) in 1967 TSMR would have been a far much better album.

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 1, 2012 15:39

I guess it's time I announced I'm the 8th member of the Rolling Stones.
When do I get to start ruining their live sound?
Its not fair.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: November 1, 2012 16:00

Munichhilton
I guess it's time I announced I'm the 8th member of the Rolling Stones.
When do I get to start ruining their live sound?
Its not fair.

If you got a beard your in, don't worry about the soundsmoking smiley

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: November 1, 2012 16:05

Finally, a solid thread I can get behind. For once, Chuck is recognized as the most important Stone for the new millenium. I had no idea he is so important to the band. Wow. thumbs up Don't mind the haters, Chuck; those at the top invoke others' envy. Too bad they can't see the forest through the (Georgia pine) trees.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-01 16:06 by paulm.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1917
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home