Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
moonlight mile live
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 25, 2012 08:26

Been searching for a '99 recording of this for ages and finally found it

Would love to see this back in the set list - one of their best songs ever

What do you think of this version?

Re: moonlight mile live
Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: October 25, 2012 08:38

Like it - can never surpass the studio version though - that was magical - very dreamy, lights out kinda song

Thank you for posting this SITM

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 25, 2012 08:39

you're welcome!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 25, 2012 09:58

I love that Oakland '99 recording. Solid playing and a great setlist.

"Moonlight Mile" was, unfortunately, played very half-assedly. Even though Keith was never on the original, you'd think he'd rise to occasion here considering it's a very Keith sounding riff. But he doesn't. I believe Ronnie and Mick take care of the guitar work. The song is way to intimate to played in such a large arena. Mick just can't allow himself to be on stage and sing a song quietly to fit the song's mood...he has to exaggerate everything so that everyone in the arena can hear every syllable he utters. Too bad because it gives the song a black eye.

Date: October 25, 2012 10:00

It's sensationally good! Who would have believed that they could pull this off at the time?

Mick's singing is a little flat, though.

Date: October 25, 2012 10:09

Yeah, "A" for effort from me regardless of its faults.

Posted by: Raluca ()
Date: October 25, 2012 16:31

Mick was overwhelmed on this one.
Greetings Raluca

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: October 25, 2012 16:51

Send It To me
you're welcome!

Thanks for posting, but sorry to say the vocals just don't cut it. One of my all time favorites. I did like the music, but Micks vocals on the studio version are just so good, so hard to reproduce in concert.

I believe Keith said he played on the very ending - something about they were playing that ending for a few years in the studio.

Date: October 25, 2012 16:54

2000 LYFH
Send It To me
you're welcome!

Thanks for posting, but sorry to say the vocals just don't cut it. One of my all time favorites. I did like the music, but Micks vocals on the studio version are just so good, so hard to reproduce in concert.

I believe Keith said he played on the very ending - something about they were playing that ending for a few years in the studio.

He made one of the riffs, but he never got to actually play on the track.

My favourite Stones track, without my favourite guitar player...

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: October 25, 2012 17:14

Let's hope they don't try to do "Sway" again...they looked and sounded totally lost on that one...

Date: October 25, 2012 17:18

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: October 25, 2012 17:22

When I saw them play this in Columbus '99, it was a beautiful moment. One of the highlights of the No Security tour. Sure, Mick's singing is a tad flat, but it's not the easiest vocal to do in the first place. MM also isn't a song that generally lends itself to being a live number IMO, so the fact that they could pull it off as well as they did is impressive.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 25, 2012 17:37

Chuck really nailed this one...who needs Nicky

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 25, 2012 17:39

Justin

"Moonlight Mile" was, unfortunately, played very half-assedly. Even though Keith was never on the original, you'd think he'd rise to occasion here considering it's a very Keith sounding riff. But he doesn't. I believe Ronnie and Mick take care of the guitar work. The song is way to intimate to played in such a large arena. Mick just can't allow himself to be on stage and sing a song quietly to fit the song's mood...he has to exaggerate everything so that everyone in the arena can hear every syllable he utters. Too bad because it gives the song a black eye.

it wasn't meant for the stage, clearly. i remember being excited but ultimately deflated after seeing it in oakland and in san jose. some girls (the song), on the other hand....the 21-year wait for that was worth it....they totally knocked that one out of the arena....and i still think the debut version is the best they've ever done...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 25, 2012 18:37

Not sure about the tune but I sure like the alt Sticky Fingers record cover on the Youtube clip. peace

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: October 25, 2012 18:55

Munichhilton
Chuck really nailed this one...who needs Nicky

You got it!!

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Date: October 25, 2012 18:59

StonesTod
Justin

it wasn't meant for the stage, clearly. i remember being excited but ultimately deflated after seeing it in oakland and in san jose. some girls (the song), on the other hand....the 21-year wait for that was worth it....they totally knocked that one out of the arena....and i still think the debut version is the best they've ever done...

Yeah "Some Girls" was good stuff that night...held up pretty well on that tour. I still can remember seeing an ad in the paper for this tour coming around Chicago and they specifically printed all the songs they played for the first time ever in Oakland..."Moonlight Mile" "You Got The Silver" and "Some Girls." I thought it was pretty cool that they made note of it, knowing that the right kind of fan would care about that.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 25, 2012 19:12

Mick sounds terrible on this. He is totally out of key in the beginning, it is embarrassing. Then he weaves in and out of key throughout the rest of the song. The guitars sound great. But man Mick is out of it on this.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 25, 2012 19:40

In 99 they really were into playing, the passion got lost afterwards.

Date: October 25, 2012 19:43

windmelody

i liked the relative lack of stage frills...especially after the cage was removed from the proceedings. hey! you don't think with grrr!! and all that that...the cage...will....perish the thought, tod!!

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: October 25, 2012 20:03

StonesTod
windmelody

i liked the relative lack of stage frills...especially after the cage was removed from the proceedings. hey! you don't think with grrr!! and all that that...the cage...will....perish the thought, tod!!

oh that would be awesome...some guy prancing around in a gorilla suit as they played...like "Herbie" on The Beverly Hillbillies...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 25, 2012 20:27

Agree that MJ isn't exactly on top form on this, plus Moonlight Mile without the "Yeah, Im coming home cause, Im just about a moonlight mile on down the road" part (probably Jagger's best moment on record) just sounds "wrong" like Rocks off on Live Licks.

C

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: October 25, 2012 21:01

All in all not bad job by Mick. His transition to falsetto is pretty well done. And considering this performance is about 28 years following the original, not too bad at all.

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: October 25, 2012 21:26

Thanks for posting. This should of been on the No Secuirty live album replacing one of the usual war-horses.

Date: October 25, 2012 21:44

brownsugar86
Thanks for posting. This should of been on the No Secuirty live album replacing one of the usual war-horses.

the album was the inspiration for the tour, not the chronicle of it....and besides were there any war-horses on NS? anyone know?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 25, 2012 21:51

Justin

What's missing most of all is the dynamics of the song; something that defines the Vegas era for me. There's no tension, no 'wow, it just doesn't sound believable to me. You're right - Jagger's flat vocals are passionless.

2000LYFH said that this song is impossible to reproduce on stage: I don't agree. Mick could, he just isn't. The Stones could put feelling, passion and dynamics into their live shows, but in the Vegas era they just don't.

They could, but you know, that would take effort, and caring what the others are doing; getting everyone to reach an artistic goal. It's hard though to be objective though when their army of yes-men's lips on their asses 24/7.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: October 25, 2012 21:54

Just looked at the track listing for No Securiy and no there wern't any war-horses on it, I just presumed that there must of been grinning smiley
Anyhow, that MM live version should of been released at some point, that was basically what I was trying to say.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-25 21:56 by brownsugar86.

Date: October 25, 2012 23:42

jamesfdouglas
Justin

What's missing most of all is the dynamics of the song; something that defines the Vegas era for me. There's no tension, no 'wow, it just doesn't sound believable to me. You're right - Jagger's flat vocals are passionless.

2000LYFH said that this song is impossible to reproduce on stage: I don't agree. Mick could, he just isn't. The Stones could put feelling, passion and dynamics into their live shows, but in the Vegas era they just don't.

Agreed. They're merely performing the song for the sake of performing it. They are duplicating the music...but what about the emotion and intent of the actual song? Not so much. Much like they did with "Sway"...passable effort but enough to rival the original studio track? Not really.

But I have a feeling such performances are better recieved as a "you had to be there" kind of thing rather than listening to them second hand on these audience recordings. The crowd seemed to have dug the performance of "Moonlight Mile" so I guess that's all that matters. If I was in the audience and they played that tune, it'd be pretty cool for that particular moment.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: October 26, 2012 00:06

DandelionPowderman

Please show a little respect DP. smiling smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 26, 2012 05:15

jazzbass
All in all not bad job by Mick. His transition to falsetto is pretty well done. And considering this performance is about 28 years following the original, not too bad at all.
Really? Ok, I love my Stones live, but Mick is totally singing out of key. Terribly and embarrassingly through most of the song. He gets it right a few times then descends into too low of a register and is horrendously off key. Very much like what happened often with Anybody Seen My Baby, he couldn't hit the correct key on that one a lot as well. But on Moonlight Mile he isn't even anywhere near the correct vocal key. Also that cheesy keyboard making the requisite "Asian" sounds, that were done so beautifully by Mick Taylor, is really lame.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1725
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home