Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Who's Next
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 28, 2012 14:42

I have been a fan of The Who since the days when I would spin my dads Brunswick 45’s – to this day, I think Pictures Of Lilly is the greatest sounding single I own – but truthfully, for the most part, I find their studio albums to be inconsistent. Who’s Next is the exception. From the opening bars of Baba O’Riley to the thumping Won’t Get Fooled Again. There is something so incredibly powerful in the sound of the recordings and majestic in Pete Townshend’s song-writing. Who’s Next is an album that I fall in love with every time I stick it on. I’m listening to it now on my headphones. Whether it’s on in the car, the hi-fi on your iPod, the record never fails to have that incredible impact. IMO, Who’s Next is the very greatest of rock records. Possibly, the greatest ever released.

Re: OT: Who's Next
Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: October 28, 2012 15:44

Great album for sure, I also love it, but greatest? Ever hear of an album called Let It Bleed, or even Sticky Fingers, not to mention Exile on Main St!

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 28, 2012 15:45

I think it's the greatest rock and roll album of all time and the only Who album (apart from the original single LP version of Live At Leeds) that is completely satisfying from start to finish.

Date: October 28, 2012 16:35

saturn57
Great album for sure, I also love it, but greatest? Ever hear of an album called Let It Bleed, or even Sticky Fingers, not to mention Exile on Main St!

Yes, the titles you mention sound a little familiar to me, ha-ha!

Exile has a couple of clunkers and I have never like You Gotta Move, though. The only one of those albums that's superb from start-to-finish is, IMO, Let It Bleed. The Stones have more eternally satisfying studio albums than the Who, but I don't they have an LP as strong as Who's Next.

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: October 28, 2012 16:36

"Who's next" is one of the top 10 album's ever

Per-Arne

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 28, 2012 16:38

Big Al
I have been a fan of The Who since the days when I would spin my dads Brunswick 45’s – to this day, I think Pictures Of Lilly is the greatest sounding single I own – but truthfully, for the most part, I find their studio albums to be inconsistent. Who’s Next is the exception. From the opening bars of Baba O’Riley to the thumping Won’t Get Fooled Again. There is something so incredibly powerful in the sound of the recordings and majestic in Pete Townshend’s song-writing. Who’s Next is an album that I fall in love with every time I stick it on. I’m listening to it now on my headphones. Whether it’s on in the car, the hi-fi on your iPod, the record never fails to have that incredible impact. IMO, Who’s Next is the very greatest of rock records. Possibly, the greatest ever released.

Hey Big Al - The Who is playing Sunrise (S. Florida) here in early November. "Whos' Next is my fav" (next to Leeds)- but isn't this tour Qudrphenia oriented?

Date: October 28, 2012 16:51

saturn57

Sticky Fingers may actually be my all time personal favorite, but aside from Bitch, side two doesn't rock much.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 28, 2012 17:06

Many people overlook The Who Sell Out but for sheer invention and range of styles this album is my favourite. It also has their best single on it, I Can See For Miles.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 28, 2012 17:17

Love Whos Next. One of rocks best albums for sure. But the Big Four albums by The Stones are superior in my opinion.

Going Mobile and Getting In Tune are great tunes, but the weakest of the bunch. The rest of the songs are masterpieces.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 28, 2012 17:35

Pictures of Lilly is great as well are Magic-Bus, Substitute, My Generation and many others.

THE WHO SELL OUT IS THE FINEST RECORD THE WHO EVER CUT!
I can see for miles is the Who at their most thunderous. Psychedelia; Armenia City
in the Sky, Rael was another mini opera. More great songs are ; I can't reach you,
TATOO, Sunrise, Someone's coming, Hall of the Mountain King and Mary Ann with the shaky hands.

The Who Sell Out was as well a tribute to pirate radio stations.

I was a fan of pirate radio stations cause all the rest was terrible!

Cheers

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: October 28, 2012 17:52

Saved from becoming bloated by Pete's inability to bring to fruition his "Lifehouse" concept; instead it's an incredibly tight rock album. In my opinion, clearly their best, and definitely one of the greatest ever. Is it THE greatest? Well, once you get to this level, it's entirely subjective - better than Exile? Let it Bleed? Revolver? Highway 61? Layla? Fillmore East? Are You Experienced? Who knows - I'll just say it's essential, and leave it at that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-28 17:53 by drbryant.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: October 28, 2012 18:03

I included this one in another thread when I mentioned the "Starter Kit" of classic rock albums from turning 12 in 1979.

Drbryant reminds me that "Are You Experienced" might have rounded that out to a top 5.

A more satisfying, tight, album than the more ambitious Tommy and Quadrophenia.

T@3

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 28, 2012 18:36

Love Ain't for Keeping is my favorite Who tune. Great album!

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: October 28, 2012 18:43

TeaAtThree

T@3

I need to give Quadrophenia another go, admittedly, but I've never 'got' Tommy. Obviously, I like Pinball Wizard and I'm Free is a great song, but the rest?

Date: October 28, 2012 19:19

Quadrophenia is great" I did see The Who live performing "Quadrophenia" and Tommy is great as well and for sure The Who's Next is great and LIVE AT LEEDS and The Who Sell Out is my nr 1 as I explained in another post.

great post

Cheers

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 28, 2012 19:41

Would have to agree that it's ONE of the greatest albums ever, yes. And one of my favorite sounding albums...wonderfully mixed. Every song is a winner and no filler...good stuff.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: October 28, 2012 19:54

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: October 28, 2012 19:56

Who's Next album cover is one the best as well.

Date: October 28, 2012 20:40

the who sell out is there best album

Date: October 28, 2012 22:13

Big Al
TeaAtThree

T@3

I need to give Quadrophenia another go, admittedly, but I've never 'got' Tommy. Obviously, I like Pinball Wizard and I'm Free is a great song, but the rest?

I've been listening to Quadrophenia in my car a lot lately, trying to get myself in the mood to possibly go and see them next month. To me, it sounds like a prog album, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but I don't think it's a genre for which the Who were particularly well suited, and I think Pete made a mistake in insisting that they play all the instruments themselves. They should have used a real orchestra, instead of doing it all with synthesizers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-28 22:16 by tatters.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 28, 2012 22:28

runaway
Pictures of Lilly is great as well are Magic-Bus, Substitute, My Generation and many others.

I can see for miles is the Who at their most thunderous. Psychedelia; Armenia City
in the Sky, Rael was another mini opera. More great songs are ; I can't reach you,
TATOO, Sunrise, Someone's coming, Hall of the Mountain King and Mary Ann with the shaky hands.

Cheers

I have the deluxe version. Disc 2 is in mono, which makes a lot of things about the songs stand out that sets it apart from the the stereo version.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: October 28, 2012 22:54

drbryant
Saved from becoming bloated by Pete's inability to bring to fruition his "Lifehouse" concept; instead it's an incredibly tight rock album. In my opinion, clearly their best, and definitely one of the greatest ever. Is it THE greatest? Well, once you get to this level, it's entirely subjective - better than Exile? Let it Bleed? Revolver? Highway 61? Layla? Fillmore East? Are You Experienced? Who knows - I'll just say it's essential, and leave it at that.

Yeah, all part of the greatest 8 years in rock, 1965-1972.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: October 28, 2012 23:09

runaway

Cheers

Love "Who Sell Out", and then "Tommy" and then "Live At Leads" and then "Who's Next" and then "Quadrophenia". But yeah, Who Sell Out started it, great album...

Date: October 28, 2012 23:18

2000 LYFH
runaway

Cheers

Love "Who Sell Out", and then "Tommy" and then "Live At Leads" and then "Who's Next" and then "Quadrophenia". But yeah, Who Sell Out started it, great album...

Thanks 2000 LYFH. The Who Sell Out is avaible on double vinyl for the real fans.
Cheers.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 28, 2012 23:23

Big Al

Credit also goes to Glyn Johns who not only produced the album, but was also responsible for the sequencing of the songs, which Pete says is one of Glyn's great strengths. Had it been left to Pete, it might not have been the same album, and in this case especially the way the songs are sequenced does have an effect on the overall impression the album leaves on the listener.

It's an especially potent collection because of the fact that the songs were culled from what was originally intended to be a larger double album (Lifehouse). Amazing how a failed project can still result in such a strong landmark album.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 29, 2012 00:09

BigAl - Who's Next is a great album from start to finish but so is Exile On Main Street. EOMS is a superior album. There are no clunkers on it. That said Who's Next is my favorite non-Stones album along with Abbey Road, Led Zeppelin I and Born To Run.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: October 29, 2012 00:21

Greatest ever? A matter of taste, really. I mean, have you ever listened to any of the great Beatles albums, let alone ones by the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Simon and Garfunkel, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, etc.)?

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 29, 2012 09:28

I agree that Sell Out is their best record. As for Who's Next, Pete's demos are better.
I always prefer Pete's demos (I just do, even though I love The Who to death): the material for Who's Next, Quad, Who Are You, Face Dances, Theresa (Athena) etc...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 29, 2012 09:55

Its great, love it! My only quibbles are that it always seemed too short, and some important music was missing, like The Naked Eye, Pure and Easy, and Too Much of Anything. I think Quadrophenia was their perfect statement. Amazing. And is by all accounts Pete's favorite as well.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 29, 2012 11:48

Big Al
TeaAtThree

T@3

Many people considered Tommy a conceit mainly because of the film. You need to separate the images from the film and just concentrate on the music which is superb. Perhaps the best drumming Moon ever did was on Tommy. It is also a superbly recorded album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-29 16:21 by Silver Dagger.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1466
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home