Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
This Isn't Ending Well.
Posted by: paulm ()
Date: October 21, 2012 04:30

The Beatles went out in the ultimate mythology. Many wished they hung together, like the Stones managed to do. But one thing you can say: Beatles went out on top.

The Stones had a longer run, and a GREAT post-Beatles run (IMO the Stones' BEST run 1969-1973), but the problem with that longevity is that they are overstaying their welcome, turning into a box-settin', jacked ticket pricin', phone-it-in image act.

I am happy for the personal lives of the Stones: Keith's Patti and Charlie enduring through cancer just like my parents have; they are survivors. Their "appearance" alone is almost worth the price of admission. But artistically, culturally (and politically), it is a BIG letdown. I would rather they cancel these shows than continue down this road. Sure, they will line the coffers for their subsequent generations, and in that respect I guess I would be doing the SAME thing honestly.

But don't expect a discriminating fan to BUY IN.

Re: This Isn't Ending Well.
Posted by: caesar ()
Date: October 21, 2012 04:59

It won't end well, but it will end this year, I think.

By the way: I appreciate the way BV is giving room to all oppinions in this forum. This may be the most important place for Rolling Stones-Fans all over the world and it seems to be a very moving moment, whether you go to the shows or not.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 21, 2012 05:05

What's the title of your next thread?

Date: October 21, 2012 05:07

Ceasar, you really think the Stones will hang it up after December 15th? I doubt it, even though a lot of times I think they should've already hung it up.

Date: October 21, 2012 05:28

Doom And Gloom is a thousand times better than Streets Of Love.

Posted by: caesar ()
Date: October 21, 2012 05:37

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Ceasar, you really think the Stones will hang it up after December 15th? I doubt it, even though a lot of times I think they should've already hung it up.
We'll wait and see.

Date: October 21, 2012 05:43

Justin

We'll Wait And See?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 21, 2012 05:45

This Isn't Ending Well. .....crash-test dummies say that all the time

ROCKMAN

Date: October 21, 2012 05:47

Rockman
This Isn't Ending Well. .....crash-test dummies say that all the time

Mmmm-mmmm.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 21, 2012 05:51

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Doom And Gloom is a thousand times better than Streets Of Love.

thumbs up

It really bears repeat listens quite well. Video is great too.

Date: October 21, 2012 05:51

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Justin

We'll Wait And See?

Rihanna is better than the Stones

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: October 21, 2012 05:56

So...if someone "buys in" they aren't a "discriminating fan"?

What a puerile form of self aggrandizement!

So, now the "true" fans have given up on the band?

Try making sense at some point, please.

And, good Lord! There are people still comparing the Stones with the Beatles?

That is just....a comical waste of energy.

Date: October 21, 2012 06:01

vermontoffender
So...if someone "buys in" they aren't a "discriminating fan"?

What a puerile form of self aggrandizement!

So, now the "true" fans have given up on the band?

Try making sense at some point, please.

And, good Lord! There are people still comparing the Stones with the Beatles?

That is just....a comical waste of energy.

Who's comparing? Don't you know The Beatles are better than The Rolling Stones? SHEESH! EVERYONE knows that!

Date: October 21, 2012 06:04

Whoa, careful vermontoffender! jamesfdouglas and the rest of his hot-headed foot soldiers will start ranting and hollering (and snickering) at all of us for bringing up logical and balanced rationale!

Posted by: northernale1 ()
Date: October 21, 2012 06:20

another stupid thread on IORR,, posted by the "perfect" people of the world..

who probably sit in there arm chair and do nothing but complain about others that do more then them,,

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 21, 2012 06:28

Far-right is just as bad as far-left.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 21, 2012 06:39

This is ending wonderfully. The vaults are wide open. I can spend $44.95 the evening of December 15th and not have to travel to New Jersey. The official boots alone have been fantastic. The Houston '78 show on DVD. Man, it's been nothing but heaven for 'true' Rolling Stones fan. Bill freakin' Wyman on stage with the boys. Thank god the Stones didn't abandon us in 1970 like the Finicky Four did.

Posted by: northernale1 ()
Date: October 21, 2012 06:42

boo hoo,, mofo

i hope you go enjoy boy george for the rest of your lives,,

he must be the perfect musician,,,

if he isnt im not sure who would please you all

far left,, far right,,, and right out centre field is even worse,,

to bad some people can not enjoy whats given to them in there lifetime,,

only once the music is silent do they notice how quiet it gets

Date: October 21, 2012 06:45

thankfully, that "there lifetime" is full of twists, turns and new horizons.

Date: October 21, 2012 06:50

paulm
thankfully, that "there lifetime" is full of twists, turns and new horizons.

A lifetime where? There or over there? Which there? Or is it 'well, that there lifetime sure is long'.

Date: October 21, 2012 07:06

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Or is it 'well, that there lifetime sure is long'.
that's the one.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: October 21, 2012 08:40

*there is a tour next year*

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: October 21, 2012 09:21

Write your own ending then...

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: October 21, 2012 11:19

I see the end in 2003 after a world tour even if I secretly hope the end will be postponed.
Maybe we should not stick too much on that question of longevity which is just a record but rather on what the Stones brought to rock'n'roll. It's a huge contribution !!
I'm sure they will remain forever THE absolute reference like Mozart is for classical music.
even if I am a bit deceived because they won't play in Paris the secret gig for the real fans but for private people who maybe don't really care, I will never burn my youth' idols.
If the Stones play in Paris next year I will go and see them especially if it takes place in a small venue.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 21, 2012 11:45

I wonder if they have arrived at a stage of life when chasing women or the booze will have lost some of its relative charms to them. Then, possibly and most hopefully, being musically creative together and individually, might continue to contain an act of passion for them. When available, we all want and seek passion. If they would notice a revived interest from the world in new recorded songs of theirs, «Doom And Gloom» as an indication, they might be inspired to go on making, recording and releasing songs. They might have become better in cooperation in a newfound or rather refound understanding from the past, and the making of music might greatly profit from it. In that case, they might continue to exist as a band as well as individually be parts of projects outside the band (like Superheavy).

The future of the band then would most certainly, sooner or later, involve the end of large scale touring. However, they might invite individuals to take part as audience to closed concerts from time to time and record, film and release the outcome as live music. Thereby, be able to go on to be inspired by the playing live that is so vital to them.

If this might happen, there will not be a declared end, and not in 2013. Instead the end will be later on when it is all over. Naturally all over, that is.

Wish thinking? Yes, of course.
But impossible?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-21 11:49 by Witness.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 21, 2012 12:20

paulm
The Beatles went out in the ultimate mythology. Many wished they hung together, like the Stones managed to do. But one thing you can say: Beatles went out on top.

The Stones had a longer run, and a GREAT post-Beatles run (IMO the Stones' BEST run 1969-1973), but the problem with that longevity is that they are overstaying their welcome, turning into a box-settin', jacked ticket pricin', phone-it-in image act.

I am happy for the personal lives of the Stones: Keith's Patti and Charlie enduring through cancer just like my parents have; they are survivors. Their "appearance" alone is almost worth the price of admission. But artistically, culturally (and politically), it is a BIG letdown. I would rather they cancel these shows than continue down this road. Sure, they will line the coffers for their subsequent generations, and in that respect I guess I would be doing the SAME thing honestly.

But don't expect a discriminating fan to BUY IN.

I would say the days when 'going out in top' are long, decades ago, goneby, and the Stones decided to follow the path of 'let's just continue as far as we can, no matter how 'bad' it looks like or whetever it costs legacywise, since running to bank laughing is always fun' So cancelling or not these new particular shows does not actually mean anything in a long run. Or if they cancel them, that would look bad. Stick in your chosen strategy till the end now.

Anyway, for a long time I have tried to figure out how all these crazy Vegas years and tours, without much to artistically write home about, will look like in teh future, and how they are judged, when all is gone. Two major retrospective relaeses by them, LIFE and CROSSFIRE HURRICANE, seemed to skip almost or totally them, which speaks volumes. The 'story' as the music that attracts people, and of which they are proud of, is written long time ago.

To quote the favourite quote of mine here: "TWo decades of creating the legacy, three decades celebrating the legacy"... That's the 50 years of The Rolling Stones in a nutshell. It could be as well 20 plus 40/50/60 years...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-21 12:25 by Doxa.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 21, 2012 12:23

"TWo decades of creating the legacy, three decades celebrating the legacy"... That's the 50 years of The Rolling Stones as it is.

thumbs up Yup! That's how it is...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 21, 2012 12:28

Come On
"TWo decades of creating the legacy, three decades celebrating the legacy"... That's the 50 years of The Rolling Stones as it is.

That's a line of stonesnow - credits to him!

- Doxa

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 21, 2012 12:36

Doxa
Come On

That's a line of stonesnow - credits to him!

- Doxa

Great line!

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: October 21, 2012 12:42

Stonescrow, thewatchman, MightyStonesRollin...whatever happened to them or him?

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1453
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home