Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
In defence of ticket prices
Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: October 17, 2012 23:54

I don't really know why I'm posting this because I do believe the ticket prices for these gigs is too high, but...

I was thinking how much it costs for a night out.

If I go out for a big night out, perhaps a meal, a nice bottle of wine, followed by a few drinks, entry to a club and taxis home etc. - well I don't know how much that would come to but:

If I went to one of the best restaurants in London, surely that would be at least £50 per person on food for a 3 course meal, and I don't know how much the wine would be on top. Let's call it £80.

Taxis - £10 each way

A few beers - maybe another £20

Night club - in London that must be £10 or so plus probably another £20 on booze

Well that lot comes to about £150.

Not that I can afford nights out like that but it has been known that I accidentally spend a bloody fortune when I go out for a few beers.

So £106 to see the greatest rock n roll band in the world is probably not too bad in comparison.

£150 seems OK too, maybe even up to £250.

So if you've got the money, paying £400 for a special once in a lifetime gig is maybe not that bad?

Of course, it probably prices most people out in these hard economic times. Certainly it makes it harder for people to attend multiple gigs. But maybe the downside of the Stones doing smaller arena gigs when they can easily sell out a stadium is that people can only afford to see them once per tour, instead of maybe 4 or 5 times.

If I can get tickets at less than about £250 I'll attend a show. I don't think I'll be able to afford more. (I probably can't really afford that.)

Re: In defence of ticket prices
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 17, 2012 23:56

okay, that's your defense of them.

now cut and paste this post and start a new thread, titled: "a case against the high ticket prices"

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 17, 2012 23:57

sjs12
So if you've got the money, paying £400 for a special once in a lifetime gig is maybe not that bad?

But are Rolling Stones able to deliver a once in a lifetime gig at this point ?

Date: October 17, 2012 23:59

Erik_Snow
sjs12

That's what I'm wondering.

You'd be kicking yourself though if Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor came on for a few songs.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 18, 2012 00:00

sjs12
I don't really know why I'm posting this

Dig deep within your subconscious mind, there must be a reason somewhere...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 18, 2012 00:00

How can you defend those prices? Better to compare them to other live acts performing kick ass music for much less. I mean the most expensive Bridge School Benefit concert tickets are only $150 USD. And this is going for a good cause! Not just the betterment of the Stones estates.

But in fairness, get what the market will bear and go down as the capitalists that you have become. Just don't claim to be doing it for the fans or the salt of the earth, that is where the hypocrisy lies. peace

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 18, 2012 00:02

sjs12
I don't really know why I'm posting this because I do believe the ticket prices for these gigs is too high, but...

If I go out for a big night out, perhaps a meal, a nice bottle of wine, followed by a few drinks, entry to a club and taxis home etc. - well I don't know how much that would come to but:

If I went to one of the best restaurants in London, surely that would be at least £50 per person on food for a 3 course meal, and I don't know how much the wine would be on top. Let's call it £80.

Taxis - £10 each way

Night club - in London that must be £10 or so plus probably another £20 on booze

Well that lot comes to about £150.

Not that I can afford nights out like that but it has been known that I accidentally spend a bloody fortune when I go out for a few beers.

So £106 to see the greatest rock n roll band in the world is probably not too bad in comparison.

£150 seems OK too, maybe even up to £250.

Of course, it probably prices most people out in these hard economic times. Certainly it makes it harder for people to attend multiple gigs. But maybe the downside of the Stones doing smaller arena gigs when they can easily sell out a stadium is that people can only afford to see them once per tour, instead of maybe 4 or 5 times.

If I can get tickets at less than about £250 I'll attend a show. I don't think I'll be able to afford more. (I probably can't really afford that.)
Add those expenses to the ticket price and you will spend 300 £ - coming from outside London you can easliy add > 200£ - all in all > 500 £. Normal people can't afford that.

Posted by: beepee ()
Date: October 18, 2012 00:10

sjs12

Taxis - £10 each way

That's still there when you and see the Stones, for some it's even a plane and a hotel.yawning smiley

Date: October 18, 2012 00:17

beepee
sjs12

Taxis - £10 each way

That's still there when you and see the Stones, for some it's even a plane and a hotel.yawning smiley

Yes true. But I'm happy with a bag of chips. :-)

I've never seen the Stones play in the states. I saw them in Paris when I was there anyway for work. I've never been able to afford the luxury of travelling around the world to see them like so many people seem to have done or are planning to do now.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 18, 2012 00:20

StonesTod

now cut and paste this post and start a new thread, titled: "a case against the high ticket prices"

Do I at any point get to cross examine the witness?

This is a kangaroo court in my opinion!

You want the truth, you can't handle the truth!

The jury is hung I tell ya!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 18, 2012 00:20

sjs12
Erik_Snow
sjs12

That's what I'm wondering.

You'd be kicking yourself though if Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor came on for a few songs.

I don't know....it would be more of a "sight", not necessarily that important. Two new sailors coming onboard can't save a sinking ship.
The band has to be in great form as well, something they weren't for the ABB Tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-18 00:23 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 18, 2012 00:25

treaclefingers
StonesTod

order in the kangacourt! he will cross-examine himself! twice! now silence!

Date: October 18, 2012 00:26

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod

order in the kangacourt! he will cross-examine himself! twice! now silence!

no need for the vulgarity.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 18, 2012 01:11

<<The band has to be in great form as well>>

Too right. Mick's "excuse" for not doing the Olympics was that they weren't ready and it was too risky. So this means that they are now ready and it's not too risky any more? He'd better hope so when they are charging those prices.

Date: October 18, 2012 01:19

Beast
<<The band has to be in great form as well>>

Too right. Mick's "excuse" for not doing the Olympics was that they weren't ready and it was too risky. So this means that they are now ready and it's not too risky any more? He'd better hope so when they are charging those prices.

Well, it's not as though they have a 'satisfaction guaranteed' policy...I think they're pretty safe.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 18, 2012 01:36

Here are five reasons why the tickets must be expensive:

1. Castles are expensive to maintain.
2. Caribbean islands are expensive to buy and maintain.
3. Wifes and girlfriends are expensive to keep.
4. Children who are unable to support themselves are expensive to sustain.
5. For the hell of it!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 18, 2012 01:46

>So £106 to see the greatest rock n roll band in the world is probably not too bad in comparison.

How can a band who no one has heard play for over five years be 'the greatest rock n roll band in the world' ?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 18, 2012 01:50

treaclefingers

How would you know? Even the female members of the jury?

Date: October 18, 2012 01:51

Gazza
>So £106 to see the greatest rock n roll band in the world is probably not too bad in comparison.

How can a band who no one has heard play for over five years be 'the greatest rock n roll band in the world' ?

Well, by this time it's like one of those "Lifetime Achievement Awards" they give out at the Oscars.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: October 18, 2012 01:55

I spent about 227 US Dollars at the Omaha Steak retail shop. I cooked perhaps 5% of what I bought in the course of an hour. By the time that hour was up that would be equiv to a Stones show being in its home stretch. Do the math.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 18, 2012 01:56

Is there going to be the " pit" at all 4 shows that will have tickets priced at $99, General admission??

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: October 18, 2012 01:57

Gazza

Depends on whether you interpret that to mean currently or all time!

Date: October 18, 2012 01:58

mickschix
Is there going to be the " pit" at all 4 shows that will have tickets priced at $99, General admission??

General Admission? The "pit" of Hell.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 18, 2012 02:04

Another comparison, how much does it cost to fill car with gas?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 18, 2012 02:11

No Expectations
Gazza

No matter what it is, its a meaningless title that cant be quantified.

Any band has a number of fans who thinks that they're 'the greatest rock n roll band in the world' - but none of those bands are gouging THEIR fanbase as badly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-18 02:12 by Gazza.

Date: October 18, 2012 02:19

Gazza
No Expectations
Gazza

Any band has a number of fans who thinks that they're 'the greatest rock n roll band in the world' - but none of those bands are gouging THEIR fanbase as badly.

Maybe they're trying to compensate for the price of bananas??

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: October 18, 2012 02:25

Gazza
No Expectations
Gazza

That infers that they actually care who pays the outrageous money. I don't think they care who shows up. This is not about their fan base. This is a blatant money grab pure and simple!

Date: October 18, 2012 02:26

Chris Fountain

You can afford a car?!

Date: October 18, 2012 02:31

stonesnow
Chris Fountain

You can afford a car?!

I drive a 1996 Ford Thunderbird (Good Condition)

Insurance = $800 a year, which includes Collision and Liability at property 50 k and medical 100 k coverage

Folks in South Florida are into lawsuits - take no chances in this concrete jungle.

Date: October 18, 2012 03:14

Chris Fountain
stonesnow
Chris Fountain

You can afford a car?!

I drive a 1996 Ford Thunderbird (Good Condition)

Insurance = $800 a year, which includes Collision and Liability at property 50 k and medical 100 k coverage

Folks in South Florida are into lawsuits - take no chances in this concrete jungle.

You can afford insurance?!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1902
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home