Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - New Who '75 Live DVD
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: October 7, 2012 00:40

Live in Texas, 75 - anyone else seen it? I just received a copy and I think it's great.

Re: OT - New Who '75 Live DVD
Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: October 7, 2012 00:56

"New" LOL

Date: October 7, 2012 01:01

okay, okay-not NEW I know- but the package is nice - the booklet is cool - i hadn't seen this in ages and the remastering is decent - i sat and watched the whole thing end to end and it's really a decent performance

Date: October 7, 2012 01:08

Any bonus features?

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: October 7, 2012 01:12

Youngie
Any bonus features?

Ron Wood I presume.

Date: October 7, 2012 01:45

VT22
Youngie
Any bonus features?

Ron Wood I presume.

Wha?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 7, 2012 02:27

Did this just recently get released or something? I can't seem to find anything about it. What was the setlist and how's the quality?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 7, 2012 02:46

Yup was just officially released.
[www.amazon.com]

I have had the boot DVD for some time now, and it is a great show. I haven't seen the newly released DVD yet. It is waiting for me at home in the US. But from all accounts it sounds like they did an amazing job.
Great setlist, stuff from Tommy, Who By Numbers, and classic 60's Who.

Posted by: Kevinrm15 ()
Date: October 7, 2012 03:44

I wish they would've released Pontiac 75 instead of Houston. We've only seen Pinball Wizard onward from that show and in not so great quality.

Date: October 7, 2012 03:47

Wow thats awesome. I just recently got into Who By Numbers this summer after only knowing Squeeze Box and thats a truly underrated record. Really not a bad song on there and several really great ones. Awesome to see However Much I Booze on this. Disappointing that the only other two Numbers songs are Dreaming By The Waist which they already released on the Who By Numbers remaster, but still better than nothing. Looks like a really great well rounded setlist from what was pretty much the final peak they had.

Here's the setlist I found which I assume is what the DVD is. Hope it includes the whole show:

[www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 7, 2012 04:08

They never did include very many By Numbers songs in their setlist, not even when it was their current album. Not sure why. I think it's great. I used to listen to that one and Who's Next, one right after the other (skipping over the heavy-handed Quadrophenia), and thought they made a perfect pair.

Date: October 7, 2012 04:13

tatters
They never did include very many By Numbers songs in their setlist, not even when it was their current album. Not sure why. I think it's great. I used to listen to that one and Who's Next, one right after the other (skipping over the heavy-handed Quadrophenia), and thought they made a perfect pair.
Guess thats true. Either way, they should have and should play more. That album just seems so refreshing. Its not a rock opera like Tommy and Quadrophenia, and not as epic as Who's Next. Its just a fun rocking collection of songs that make for a really great compact album. Probably the last good album they made, though to be fair I've never heard all of Who Are You.

Date: October 7, 2012 04:30

Also, looking at the album again, those are actually probably the 3 songs I would have chose if I were the Who also and probably the ones I'd want to hear most as a fan. I was personally never a big fan of Slip Kid, thats probably my least favorite on the album but still great. Imagine A Man, They Are All In Love and In A Hand Or A Face I wouldn't need to hear live. Love Blue, Red And Grey but don't picture that going over well at a Who show. More a solo show song. Success Story and How Many Friends would be my other favorites I'd love to hear live, but I wouldn't really expect them either so I guess the ones on the DVD make the most sense.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 7, 2012 07:30

I'm pretty sure that the only songs from By Numbers that the Who ever played live were: Slip Kid (a few times in '76 and '07), However Much I Booze, Squeeze Box and Dreaming from the Waist. Except for maybe In a Hand or Face (Moon's Wasp Man turned into an actual song), the rest would not have worked onstage.

Date: October 7, 2012 08:50

ab
I'm pretty sure that the only songs from By Numbers that the Who ever played live were: Slip Kid (a few times in '76 and '07), However Much I Booze, Squeeze Box and Dreaming from the Waist. Except for maybe In a Hand or Face (Moon's Wasp Man turned into an actual song), the rest would not have worked onstage.
Looks like those are the only ones that they have played. I don't believe the rest wouldn't have worked on stage. Blue Red And Grey would definitely be a highlight of a solo show, if any of these guys ever did solo acoustic shows. Don't see why that couldn't be played. They Are All In Love and Imagine A Man are ones I wouldn't expect them to play live, but they certainly could. These songs didn't have various other studio work that makes them impossible to recreate. They just aren't as hard rock maybe to fit in the set. But In A Hand Or Face and How Many Friends, especially with the blistering guitars on the latter, would be excellent additions to a setlist IMO. And I don't see why Success Story sounds much different than other stuff they play live. Sounds like Summertime Blues to me.

Date: October 7, 2012 09:00

didn't daltrey do "blue,red and grey" solo recently?

Date: October 7, 2012 09:04

Just looked it up and apparently he did. He did on his solo tour, Townshend has maybe played it 3 times, and Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder solo has done it a few as well. Glad some at least know how good it is! Lol

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: October 7, 2012 09:20

RollingFreak
Also, looking at the album again, those are actually probably the 3 songs I would have chose if I were the Who also and probably the ones I'd want to hear most as a fan. I was personally never a big fan of Slip Kid, thats probably my least favorite on the album but still great. Imagine A Man, They Are All In Love and In A Hand Or A Face I wouldn't need to hear live. Love Blue, Red And Grey but don't picture that going over well at a Who show. More a solo show song. Success Story and How Many Friends would be my other favorites I'd love to hear live, but I wouldn't really expect them either so I guess the ones on the DVD make the most sense.

I think They're All In Love, with a few Who improvisations added live, would've sounded great on-stage after they added "Rabbit" on keys. It's one of Daltrey's finest in-studio vocals and he could've taken it even greater heights live..

Date: October 7, 2012 09:27

big4
RollingFreak

I think They're All In Love, with a few Who improvisations added live, would've sounded great on-stage after they added "Rabbit" on keys. It's one of Daltrey's finest in-studio vocals and he could've taken it even greater heights live..
Love it every time I hear "Where do you fit in 'pffftt' magazine". @#$%& genius and makes me laugh every time. I know Pete wrote it, and its such a true and personal song, but Roger was always able to add his little flairs to the songs.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 7, 2012 09:41

I totally agree Rollingfreak! It is such an inspired stanza and he sings it with such ironic macho gusto. Love it! Who By Numbers is an amazing album, and is one of their most underrated masterpieces. Imagine a Man is another great song that would work live. In fact I believe Daltry did sing it live on his tour, Daltry Sings Townshend. He also did a version of The Sea Refuses No River (a beautiful Townshend solo song).

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: October 7, 2012 14:01

Damn it, release it on Blu-ray too!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 7, 2012 15:23

ab

John used to do Success Story on his solo tours and it was great.

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: October 7, 2012 15:39

This was the first date of the US tour. The 20th. I saw them on 24th in Atlanta. One of the most powerful concerts I have every attended. The air was electrified. It was as if the audience was one mass living organism. I have never before or since felt that kind of energy at a concert. It was almost frightening. No, I was not stoned. Yet, seeing the Who that night was my third show since '70. i have seen 4 others since and 1 to go. But..that night was a charged show. They were at the peak and it come thru. Glad to have this DVD to bring back memories.

Date: October 7, 2012 17:04

amazing how low tech the whole thing is- on the heels of that monster stones tour - the who seemed to treat this arena almost like a club tour - i like that - nice and simple

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: October 11, 2012 01:09

This DVD just arrived yesterday for me and I really like it - it's definitely a stup from the bootlegs and a few of the songs that had audio problems in the boot are now fixed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1538
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home