Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Jimmy Page says 'no' to Led Zeppelin reunion
Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: October 10, 2012 15:02

Re: OT: Jimmy Page says 'no' to Led Zeppelin reunion
Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: October 10, 2012 15:08

What's there to say 'no' to? Plant has been saying 'no' for ages!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 10, 2012 16:32

Jimmy didn't like Robert's punctuation. Left the door open a bit. Jimmy decided to make it definitive...

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: October 10, 2012 16:40

This is wise. They all are artists in their own right and ought to be creatively putting forth their work, rather than making big bucks doing what is virtually a tribute act. I will watch the film, but as a true fan of John Bonham, I know I will miss him dearly as I watch the performance. The bootlegged footage I have seen is decent, but the drums are just not there. Jason knows that and respects his dad for the legend he is. I look forward to Plant's solo records and collaborations. Maybe Plant, Page and JPJ might record together sometime for fun, that would be nice. But Led Zeppelin is long gone and we all need to acknowledge this as fact.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 10, 2012 18:26

You have to respect that they quit when they did. In retrospect did the Who really need to continue after Moon's death? For that matter as a recording unit did the Stones need to continue after Wyman retired? I understand that the Who and LZ had deaths, not one man's desire to open a hamburger joint and go metal detecting on the beach. But still, the same chemistry was destroyed.

I remember the Cream reunion as being hard to watch on DVD. They seemed so slowed down and deliberate. The Led Zeppelin sound was dependent on high energy and explosive musical vitruosity that wouldn't sound right after what came before.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: October 10, 2012 18:34

After all folks, rock'n'roll is a young man's game.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 10, 2012 18:37

At this point in life, I respect it. After the reunion 5 years ago, I really really wanted them to tour again. When it didn't happen then, it seemed like it never was going to. But now since then, Robert Plant has made some great points. I HATED him when they said they weren't gonna tour 5 years ago because it was his fault. Thats not a question. The others would have done it. But Plant has explained, he's just moved on from that point. He's making new music and he's really happy with it. Led Zeppelin is so far in the past for him and its not that he tries to be a dick, he's just not into it anymore and it would be wrong, and he can't bring himself to do it if he isn't into it. And then you add on the obvious different element of not having John there and there are as many reasons not to tour as there are to do it again.

After reading all I have about Plant, you kinda have to be thankful we had the reunion show and this DVD. And at least he's not being a dick and refusing to take part in the stuff related to the DVD. He knows what it means to the fans and he's giving them this last hurrah for it. It seems John and Jimmy don't really have the heart to say it isn't happening, and its not really Robert's fault those two haven't done anything much since Zeppelin. Not trying to bring the others down, as I love everyone in Led Zeppelin, but just because Jimmy and John are free and are open to it doesn't mean its a good idea. Same as just because Robert isn't into it that doesn't me he's right. Its a tough situation, but after many years since that 1 show in 07, I do think the time has passed and I have come to accept no reunion. It would be amazing, but Plant has been pretty reasonable and after being incredibly angry with him for ruining the dream I had of finally seeing Zeppelin, I have come to understand and agree with his feelings. But that's just me.

Also, in response to the Cream comment, I think you are absolutely right. I saw one of those reunion shows at MSG and my dad, cousin, and myself thought it was the most boring thing we had ever seen. It had so much potential and it just really didn't seem to have the power they used to. I'm happy at least the one new Zeppelin show we have seems to have similar energy to their peak, or as much as they could give at this point. Not to say Cream was all about money or anything, it was just different than it was in the 60s and that album and DVD is still hard for me to get all the way through. I literally get bored after 30 minutes, and thats not how their studio or old live stuff makes me feel. That had a nice try, but if thats what Zeppelin would be like, I'd agree I'd just prefer to leave in the past.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: October 10, 2012 20:02

I disagree about Cream, because it often takes a number of performances for a show to gel.
Clapton later complained that the other two didn't prepare for them. One would think that
for a reunion that Bruce in particular was pining for for years would have taken the proceedings
more seriously, so I find Clapton's accusation curious. Some songs show rust aplenty, but one
song truly recaptured Cream's genius: "We're Going Wrong". WOW, that one blew me away.

But, much of the youthful energy was gone, replaced by focused musicianship. Clapton also
quipped that the Marshalls weren't working this time around, and it's most likely because they
couldn't handle the volume anymore. Ya can't concentrate when you're in pain, after all.

Handicaps: Baker, arthritis. Bruce, liver failure. Clapton, distraction due to negative vibes.

Date: October 11, 2012 00:17

Have you guys read about Plant dishing it out to reporters at the movie press conference? he was a cranky rocker

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 11, 2012 00:51

I already saw as good of a reunion as I could possibly hope for on a couple shows of the Page/Plant tour. As much as I love John Paul Jones and Bonzo, Page/Plant just friggin' rocked when I saw them on the West Coast USA. The drummer on that tour (RIP) was just fantastic to watch and sitting 20 feet from Jimmy Page, watching his use of the tools at hand was a definate highlight of my rock show experience.

Besides everyone knows Led Zeppelin proper died with their drummer. They can't change their minds now and still save any face, imho. Maybe they could write some new material with the 3 surviving members and call the band something else....peace

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1532
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home