Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Four Bonus Tracks on 40 Licks
Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: September 12, 2012 22:02

Here we go... is it just me who rates all of the then-new tracks on 40 Licks?

While I don't think they are up there with the very best of the band, they are still better than most of the stuff on ABB in my opinion and yet that album gets so much praise.

I can honestly say all four tracks are a pleasure to listen to.

It would be a dull world if we all liked the same things but when most people seem to agree that the "Big Five" albums represent the Stones at their peak, it baffles me that the above songs don't get the credit that I believe they deserve.

I know plenty aren't but is anyone with me?

Harlem "It's So Very Lonely" Shuffler.

Re: The Four Bonus Tracks on 40 Licks
Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 12, 2012 22:30

Harlem Shuffler

While I don't think they are up there with the very best of the band, they are still better than most of the stuff on ABB in my opinion and yet that album gets so much praise.

It would be a dull world if we all liked the same things but when most people seem to agree that the "Big Five" albums represent the Stones at their peak, it baffles me that the above songs don't get the credit that I believe they deserve.

In this case, 3 out of 4 ain't bad--Losing My Touch just kind of hangs there muddled, like a stale beerfart in an after-hours bar.

Keys To Your Love has a memorable soulful hook and Mick's vocal on said hook recalls the falsetto of Worried About You and overall the tracks sound refreshingly basic after the trendy, polished overproduction of Bridges. They could have gone whole hog and made a full album around these tracks and it would have been one of their better latter-day albums--that is, no frills, just the Stones sounding like the Stones, and it would have been an album you would still want to give a spin today, but alas...

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: September 13, 2012 02:42

I have always liked 3 of the 4, with Keith's song being the odd one out for me. It's ok too but not my favorite. Love the other 3 songs though.

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: September 13, 2012 03:01

I dislike Stealing My Heart a lot - the other three (especially Keys to Your Love) are fine but a little undeveloped and not up to the standards of most of ABB.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 13, 2012 03:16

Harlem Shuffler

While I don't think they are up there with the very best of the band, they are still better than most of the stuff on ABB in my opinion ...

Sorry, my opinion differs greatly ... I think they are pathetic tracks, for the most part, and anything on ABB trumps these 4 ... except Don't Stop, that was at least decent but still far worse than most ABB tracks.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 13, 2012 05:31

I like Don't Stop, Keys To Your Love is okay as is Stealing My Heart. Losing My Touch I have to be in the right mood but I enjoy it when I am in the mood for it. None of them are great but all listenable. A Bigger Bang had stronger tracks for the most part except for Neo-Con and Streets of Love two pathetic tracks!

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 13, 2012 06:28

they're very good tracks. pity that they're out of print.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 13, 2012 09:36

Loosing My Touch aside, they're decent tracks, IMO. They're quite different in sound and production to what we later heard on A Bigger Bang.

Date: September 13, 2012 09:59

I can't stand the Stones doing second rate Spin Doctors-stuff (Stealing My Heart), but the rest of the tracks are ok, imo. Keys To Your Love is the best of the tracks.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 13, 2012 13:14

Don't Stop is commercial pap. A Jagger solo number with the rest of The Stones guesting on it. The only thing worse on ABB is Streets of Love.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: September 13, 2012 13:18

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-09 21:11 by vudicus.

Date: September 13, 2012 13:20

whitem8
Don't Stop is commercial pap. A Jagger solo number with the rest of The Stones guesting on it. The only thing worse on ABB is Streets of Love.

True, but then again there's more Ronnie on this song than on most of ABB.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: September 13, 2012 15:08

Harlem Shuffler

Personally, I think the bonus tracks are decent songs but I think everything on ABB sounds much more Stonesy.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 13, 2012 15:31

Dont Stop is decent. Losing My Touch is weak. The other two are oK, but forgettable. They were written and recorded as filler material for a compilation and thats exactly what they sound like.

None of them would have been good enough to have made the cut on a 12-song version of 'A Bigger Bang'.

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: September 13, 2012 17:46

i totally agree with Gazza. for me it makes a huge difference if a band publishes an album with lets say new 10 tracks, or we get 4 tracks on a compilation, another 2 as a "bonus" from an album etc....

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 13, 2012 19:36

No JJFs here, but I like em all okay.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: September 13, 2012 19:54

Lame.............all 4 are lame at best. With the exception of Streets of Love,I think every track on ABB, BTB, VL are better than those 4. I mean, c'mon! This is the band that wrote Satisfaction, Gimmie Shelter, Some Girls, Neighbors, Rough Justice, Gun Face , It's Only Rock and Roll, ....

You know...songs that rock..or at very least are close to "rock"

Maybe I'm immature but I want rock and roll music from a rock and roll band.

I mean, there is enough lame crap out there without the Stones putting it out there too.

Didn;t Keith say that you needed rock AND roll? Seems to me they forgot that when the released this stuff. Sorry....outtakes at best.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: September 13, 2012 20:28

well, they´re ok but just b-sides

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 13, 2012 20:39

I kind of like them as a well rounded 4 song EP.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: September 13, 2012 20:51

Don't Stop - mediocre at best.
Stealing My Heart - a level below Don't Stop
Key's to Your Love - the bands worst ballad ever until Streets of Love came out.
Losing My Touch - I always forget this song was even released unless I'm reading a 40 Licks thread - which says enough about it. And about Keith.

None of these songs are very good songs. Predictable, paint-by-numbers stuff. that just takes up room on disc 2 for far superior material that SHOULD have been on it. These four songs are nothing but an annoyance soiling an otherwise decent compliation.

A Bigger Bang = garbage.

Um... can't wait for these two new tracks on GRRR.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: September 13, 2012 22:07

I love Stealing My Heart. It's a track I never get tired of. The other 3 are ok for me.
I also like most of ABB

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: September 14, 2012 00:44

ManuelStones
I love Stealing My Heart. It's a track I never get tired of. The other 3 are ok for me.
I also like most of ABB

Spot on!

Date: September 14, 2012 03:48

Bonus tracks on Forty Licks? There weren't 44 tracks.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 14, 2012 09:32

jamesfdouglas
Key's to Your Love - the bands worst ballad ever until Streets of Love came out.
Losing My Touch - I always forget this song was even released unless I'm reading a 40 Licks thread - which says enough about it. And about Keith.

None of these songs are very good songs. Predictable, paint-by-numbers stuff. that just takes up room on disc 2 for far superior material that SHOULD have been on it. These four songs are nothing but an annoyance soiling an otherwise decent compliation.

A Bigger Bang = garbage.

Losing My Lunch?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 14, 2012 17:05

jamesfdouglas

A Bigger Bang = garbage.

thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 15, 2012 02:34

KRiffhard
jamesfdouglas

A Bigger Bang = garbage.

thumbs up

A qualified thumbs up as I'm going to be cautiously optimistic on the new toons.

Hope we get a listen before November.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: September 15, 2012 19:54

treaclefingers
KRiffhard
jamesfdouglas

A Bigger Bang = garbage.

thumbs up

A qualified thumbs up as I'm going to be cautiously optimistic on the new toons.

Just guessing, but I would think classic rock radio stations will likey play one of them (the Jagger one obviously... IF one of them is a Keith vocal) for a couple of weeks to hype the release. It won't last, of course, but it will give someone out there a chance to slap it up on youtube for the rest of us to tear apart.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 15, 2012 21:52

jamesfdouglas
treaclefingers
KRiffhard
jamesfdouglas

A Bigger Bang = garbage.

thumbs up

Just guessing, but I would think classic rock radio stations will likey play one of them (the Jagger one obviously... IF one of them is a Keith vocal) for a couple of weeks to hype the release. It won't last, of course, but it will give someone out there a chance to slap it up on youtube for the rest of us to tear apart.

All I'm looking for is an early, and equal opportunity to eviscerate it properly on this forum. I feel an entitlement.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: September 24, 2012 21:03

Just wated to say thanks for all the contributions especially those in favour of any of the bonus tracks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2430
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home