Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

New Stones DVD
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: September 19, 2012 19:29

Just received this release - The Rolling Stones "Under Review 1975-1983:
The Ronnie Wood Years Part 1"
on DVD, November 20

An in-depth documentary covering the career and music of the
Rolling Stones between 1975 and 1983.

By the end of 1974 all was not well in the camp of the group tagged 'the greatest rock n' roll band in the world'. Their last two records had received little in the way of critical acclaim, the co-songwriters and main players had drifted far apart and in one notable quarter heroin addiction was rife. So when the man who had, for the previous five years, often been seen as the ensemble's anchor announced his resignation, many fans wondered if the game was all but up for The Rolling Stones.

But those of little faith had no further need to fret once Ronald David Wood, formerly of the much loved but shambolic Faces, plugged his Fender Strat into the Stones' PA, having been offered, to rapturous acceptance, the coveted position formerly occupied by Mick Taylor, and before him, the late Brian Jones.

Ronnie's arrival seemed to breathe new life into the band and their next pair of albums - the funky Black & Blue and new-wave-meets-disco Some Girls - were generally considered their best since Exile on Main Street. And as the 70s wore on and the 1980s dawned, while the records they released and the shows they played certainly had their detractors, glorious moments were always close at hand.

This documentary film covers the Stones' career and music between 1975 and 1983 and includes archive and exclusive interviews, contributions from the finest experts and writers, and rare and classic footage, all soundtracked by the music that, despite it all , remained 'only rock 'n' roll ..............'

Purchase Item: [www.seeofsound.com]

Re: New Stones DVD
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 19, 2012 19:32

sounds interesting. but it also sounds like one of those dodgy unauthorised docs that don{t feature any actual Stones music... just some generic guitar rock and audience noise. have you seen it HB?

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: September 19, 2012 19:34

nope - sending me a copy today - here is a clip - what's weird is they have hired a BIG shot publicist - rare for the fringe videos

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 19, 2012 19:38

thanks HB

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: September 19, 2012 19:50

THe red flag is the simulated "Stonesy" music in the background rather than official Stones stuff. That screams unauthorized documentary, which doesn't mean it won't be interesting!

Ross

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 19, 2012 20:14

Hmmm...all the "Under review" DVDs I've seen, not about Rolling Stones, but other artists, have been lousy. So I have no expectaions on this one. If somebody buys it; please post your review

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 19, 2012 20:15

The soundtrack of that clip is hideous, but since I became a fan during this (third golden) era, I am kind of
looking forward to this documentary.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: September 19, 2012 21:11

I actually just watched the Tom Waits Under Review on Netflix and it contained quite a bit of his actual music (live clips and videos), so who knows?

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: September 19, 2012 22:20

It looks like something half the people on this board could have written with interviews saying things that half the people on this board could say. But Ross is right. If you are interested in the subject matter during that period you can find yourself watching and enjoying it.

Posted by: Miranda ()
Date: September 19, 2012 22:43

I once bought the 'Keith Richards Under Review"DVD, nothing new. Also the 'Neil Young Under Review 1963- 1975 DVD" also a big dissapointment. Nothing new, not worth the money. There's also the neil Young Under Review DVD 1976- until now"but I'll pass..

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 20, 2012 00:49

Myself, I enjoy the Under Review series and own them all, even though they are unauthorized and feature commentary interviews rather than band member interviews. They should do an Under Review for the Bill Wyman years next, but I think I would pass on one for the Darryl Jones years.

Posted by: Kevinrm15 ()
Date: September 20, 2012 01:24

I got "Queen Under Review 1973-1980" DVD. It was a huge disappointment. Nothing new, just a bunch of fans saying saying how and why Queen are great. Sold the garbage back.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: September 20, 2012 01:44

Oh, so Black and Blue is generally considered their best since Exile? haha.... that's amusing.

Quite glad that in reality B&B's merits *have* been reconsidered after many years, but it's never going to hold's its own against much of what came before it, nor even after it in many instances.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 20, 2012 03:38

peoplewitheyes
sounds interesting. but it also sounds like one of those dodgy unauthorised docs that don{t feature any actual Stones music... just some generic guitar rock and audience noise. have you seen it HB?

Yeah, they should really consider a title change...that one does sound dodgy.

oops, should have looked at the clip first, and read the other comments.

It is in fact dodgy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-20 03:41 by treaclefingers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1913
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home