Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith & Neville: Interview + Keith plays.
Date: September 13, 2012 14:42

Keith is on round the 1:20 mark here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-13 14:59 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: Keith & Neville: Interview + Keith plays.
Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: September 13, 2012 14:57

Fantastic! Thanks for posting. smileys with beer

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: September 13, 2012 15:23

Thanks so much for posting! I love Aaron and Keith! YAY! hot smiley

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 13, 2012 15:24

Very nice - thank you.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: September 13, 2012 16:10

Great, thank you!

Posted by: OlRiddim ()
Date: September 13, 2012 16:25

Wicked. Does my heart good to see Keith doing something simply for the love of it.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 13, 2012 16:31

Great. Thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: September 13, 2012 17:21

many thanks

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 13, 2012 17:28

Since everybody here is so sure that Keith can't play, after seeing this video, should I conclude:

a) It is true, Keith can't play, the video is all staged, his inclusion in the project is only a smart/cinical move by Don Was an Blue Note to promote the album.

b) It is true, Keith can't play, but everybody realized that he can't play only once he was on the spot. Not to offend him (or fearing the blade) they let him believe he played great and overdubbed all his parts.

c) It is true, Keith can't play, but Aaron Neville and band are so musically incompetent that they didn't notice. Don Was later overdubbed all Keith's parts and didn't tell anyone.

d) The whole "Keith can's play" story is just huge BS.

C

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 13, 2012 18:05

well love to see a keef like this )

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 13, 2012 18:30

Lovely to see! And to hear. Do we know a release date?

Ruby Baby? Earth Angel? - I am so looking forward to this album.

And if Keith's future is in projects like this, I for one won't be sorry.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 13, 2012 18:32

Liddas, I think the comments have been around whether or not Keith can still play a 2 hour show or is in shape for a tour or even whether he won't be having an off day if all they play are four shows in November.

There were bad shows after the incident with his head and then Keith didn't play live for ages. When he did start playing again (the Johnny Depp appearance, the Apollo Theater gig, and the one-off Chuck Berry tribute) the results were pretty rough. I think everyone would love to see him bounce back and maybe has and maybe he will, but the proof isn't there yet.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 13, 2012 18:35

That's an amazing group of musicians though. Gary Leisz?...sign me up! Amazing guitar player. Would love to hear how he geled with Keith.

It looks to me that the only way to get Keith excited about playing any music outside the Stones is to play his favorite tunes that he grew up with. Wish there were more opportunities to do so...

Date: September 13, 2012 18:41

My personal theory (and this is pure speculation: I have NO inside info about what the problem might be) is that Keith has days when he is as good as ever, and days when things don't work so well - and it isn't predictable. So studio sessions are not a big problem, but any live appearance is a gamble.

I hope I am proved completely and utterly wrong. Meanwhile, it looks as if we've got a good one coming here, unless you hate doo-wop.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: September 13, 2012 18:47

Thanks for posting this gem...When Keith's on he's the best..Love it!

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: September 13, 2012 18:54

Green Lady
My personal theory (and this is pure speculation: I have NO inside info about what the problem might be) is that Keith has days when he is as good as ever, and days when things don't work so well - and it isn't predictable. So studio sessions are not a big problem, but any live appearance is a gamble.

My opinion as well. Also, you can pause or stop a recording session whenever you want. When you go on stage, you have to play for 2h. Studio sessions in Paris were quite short. Keith arrived around 2/3pm and left around 7 or 8. But I was surprised and relieved to see Keith in great shape and relaxed. Other friends had the exact same feeling.

Date: September 13, 2012 19:17

Aha! 22 January 2013. The world had better not end in 2012, or I shall be very very annoyed!

[www.vintagevinylnews.com]

Preview: My True Story - Aaron Neville

Artist: Aaron Neville
Title: My True Story
Release Date: January 22, 2013
Label: Blue Note
Format(s): CD, DD

Aaron Neville has announced that his salute to classic Doo Wop music, My True Story, will be released on January 22. The album is his debut for Blue Note Records.

The record, produced by Keith Richards and Blue Note Records President Don Was, finds Neville revitalizing some of his favorite songs from the doo-wop era and beyond.

“Aaron Neville is one of the most expressive and soulful artists of all time, it's such a thrill to hear him sing,” Was says. “His vocals have a way of reaching into your heart and stirring something really deep inside. It's a huge honor to welcome him to Blue Note Records and to be involved, along with the legendary Keith Richards, in the production of this album.”

All of the tracks were hand-picked by Neville himself as they are songs that have remained close to his heart since he was a child. “When I was a kid, doo-wop was like medicine to me,” Neville explains. “I didn’t care what else was goin’ on in the world as long as I could sing along with Pookie Hudson and The Spaniels, The Flamingos, The Clovers, Sonny Til and The Orioles, Clyde McPhatter—I was like a kid in a candy store.”

A stellar group of session players was assembled to lay down these tracks. In addition to Keith Richards on guitar other musicians include: Greg Leisz on guitar (Beck, Sheryl Crow, Bob Dylan, Ryan Adams), Benmont Tench on organ (founding member of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers), George G. Receli on drums (Bob Dylan, James Brown), and Tony Scherr on bass (Bill Frisell, Norah Jones, Rufus Wainwright). Richards sheds some light on the atmosphere in the studio as he explains, "This was a dream session. The band fell right into the groove and Aaron sang like an angel. It was an honor!”

To see an eight-minute piece on the making of the album, head over to YouTube.

Track List:

Money Honey (Jesse A. Stone)
My True Story (Eugene Pitt & Oscar Waltzer)
Ruby Baby (Jerry Leiber & Michael Stoller)
Gypsy Woman (Curtis Mayfield)
Ting a Ling (Nugetre)
Be My Baby (Jeff Barry, Ellie Greenwich & Phillip Spector)
Little Bitty Pretty One (Robert J. Byrd)
Tears On My Pillow (Sylvester Bradford & Al Lewis)
Under The Boardwalk (Arthur Resnick & Kenny Young)
Work With Me Annie (Hank Ballard)
This Magic Moment / True Love (Medley) (Doc Pomus & Mort Shuman)
Goodnight My Love (Pleasant Dreams) (John S. Marascalco & George Motola)

---------------------------------

Looks as though Earth Angel will have to wait for another time - but Keith said they made 23 tracks, so Part 2 is a possibility. Meanwhile, that's a very promising tracklist.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 13, 2012 19:59

I am seriously looking forward to this.

Aaron Neville's last album "I Know I've Been Changed" was an amazing gospel album. It was produced by Joe Henry, and was top quality.

Doo Wop, however, is a great genre in itself, and is the rock n roll language of love: all them beautiful ballads like Earth Angel, In The Still of The Night, Only You, The Great Pretender. Doo Wop provides a wonderful contrast to the razor-toting rock n roll/rockabilly of early Elvis, Jerry Lee, Carl Perkins, etc.

By the way: Keith appears to still be able to play.

Date: September 13, 2012 20:00

PS; That version of Under The Boardwalk sounds far superior than the Stones' version.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 13, 2012 20:05

tomcasagranda
PS; That version of Under The Boardwalk sounds far superior than the Stones' version.

Me too I can't wait to get this. And thank god that Under The Boardwalk is better than the Stones version, because that was their absolute worst effort ever.

C

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 13, 2012 20:18

Under the Boardwalk is bad, but My Girl gets my pick for worst cover they officially released in the sixties.

Date: September 13, 2012 20:28

I always think, though, that Aaron Neville would sound fantastic singing Percy Sledge's My Special Prayer. However, that's more Southern Soul than doo wop.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: September 13, 2012 22:28

Cool news, can't wait to listenin' to the whole stuff thumbs up

HMN

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: September 13, 2012 23:58

Rocky Dijon
Liddas, I think the comments have been around whether or not Keith can still play a 2 hour show or is in shape for a tour or even whether he won't be having an off day if all they play are four shows in November.

There were bad shows after the incident with his head and then Keith didn't play live for ages. When he did start playing again (the Johnny Depp appearance, the Apollo Theater gig, and the one-off Chuck Berry tribute) the results were pretty rough. I think everyone would love to see him bounce back and maybe has and maybe he will, but the proof isn't there yet.
Well put. I think those who have questioned Keith's ability to play, I have been amongst them, all want to see him bounce back and play the way he has in the past. I for one would love to see that happen. As to this record, it sounds great so I'm looking forward to hearing it!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 14, 2012 17:45

great stuff, great music
Keef looks and sounds good.
Now... Keith play Amsterdam ziggodome 2012
jeroen

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: September 14, 2012 18:00

This is amazing! What a teaser!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1596
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home