Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jagger Output
Posted by: Jimmer ()
Date: September 5, 2012 00:00

I know there has been a ton of negative feedback about the Stones lack of creative output in the studio the last 25+ years. And as far as the Stones as a group go, I totally agree. It is clear Mick and keith do not like each other, do not get along anymore,and do not stimulate each other creatively from a recording end like they used to way back in the 60s and early 70s.But Mick himself, unlike Keith, has remained relatively productive during this time period even if not commercially a huge success.

Mick Solo Projects:

She's The Boss 1985
Primitive Cool 1987
Wandering Spirit 1993
Goddess in the Doorway 2001
Alfie Soundtrack with Dave Stewart 2004
Superheavy 2011

Stones:

Dirty Work 1986
Steel Wheels 1989
Voodoo Lounge 1994
Bridges to Babylon 1997
A Bigger Bang 2005

Mick also pretty much handled the Stones duties from a studio update end for the re-releases and bonus tracks for Exile and Some Girls. Since 1985 Mick has been involved with 6 solo related project full recordings and 5 Stones full length productions. It's clear HE feels more creative outside of the Stones bubble, even if we don't necessarily like his solo output as much. There have been a number of miscellaneous recordings issued during that time too (4 on Forty Licks, a few on Mick's "best of" solo collection, 2 to come with Grrrr!, etc.). Not prolific output but much more than you might guess based on the feedback we so often read here.

I think Mick will remain creative for as long as he lives. He'll never be what he used to be for most of us, but he will be active and energetic as always! I don't know if the same will apply to the Stones as a whole ... but I hope so!

Re: Jagger Output
Posted by: Jimmer ()
Date: September 5, 2012 00:20

I forgot to add Mick being the most involved Stone top to bottom in all the tours they have done since Steel Wheels, which encompasses significant portions of almost/ up to 12 years on the road since then:

1989-1990
1994-1995
1997-1999
2002-2003
2005-2007

I would love more new music from The Stones! But if it has to be just from Mick (solo wise), I'll take whatever I can get!

Jimmer

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 5, 2012 00:27

In the fifteen years since his three excellent tracks on lead vocals on Bridges to Babylon, Keith does not seem to have contributed very much creatively.

Not that he hasn't written enough for three lifetimes already, but you wanted what happened to the guy.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: September 5, 2012 01:49

Jimmer
I know there has been a ton of negative feedback about the Stones lack of creative output in the studio the last 25+ years. And as far as the Stones as a group go, I totally agree. It is clear Mick and keith do not like each other, do not get along anymore,and do not stimulate each other creatively from a recording end like they used to way back in the 60s and early 70s.But Mick himself, unlike Keith, has remained relatively productive during this time period even if not commercially a huge success.

Mick Solo Projects:

She's The Boss 1985
Primitive Cool 1987
Mick Jagger & The Red Devils - Blues With A Feeling probly the best album he's done outside the Stones, shame it's never come outconfused smiley
Wandering Spirit 1993
Superheavy 2011

Stones:

Dirty Work 1986
Steel Wheels 1989
Voodoo Lounge 1994
Bridges to Babylon 1997
A Bigger Bang 2005

Mick also pretty much handled the Stones duties from a studio update end for the re-releases and bonus tracks for Exile and Some Girls. Since 1985 Mick has been involved with 6 solo related project full recordings and 5 Stones full length productions. It's clear HE feels more creative outside of the Stones bubble, even if we don't necessarily like his solo output as much. There have been a number of miscellaneous recordings issued during that time too (4 on Forty Licks, a few on Mick's "best of" solo collection, 2 to come with Grrrr!, etc.). Not prolific output but much more than you might guess based on the feedback we so often read here.

I think Mick will remain creative for as long as he lives. He'll never be what he used to be for most of us, but he will be active and energetic as always! I don't know if the same will apply to the Stones as a whole ... but I hope so!

had to add the bit in blue, well worth checking out

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: September 5, 2012 01:58

Jimmer

Mick Solo Projects:

She's The Boss 1985
Primitive Cool 1987
Wandering Spirit 1993
Superheavy 2011

Stones:

Dirty Work 1986
Steel Wheels 1989
Voodoo Lounge 1994
Bridges to Babylon 1997
A Bigger Bang 2005

Mick is underestimated as a band member if you read lots of posts here. I'm glad you think different. In my opinion he is much more creative than Keith (and better as a musician; sorry Keith fans!) and I think Keith is troubled by forms of jealousy that give him a distorted vision on lots of things concerning Mick's role(s).
And all the things people criticise the Stones for and accuse Mick for being the creator of those so called worthless things; it's a 4 person tango and they all agree and approve what happens. If you give Keith initiative nothing happens because he doesn't have the abilities to organize things or to lead. And he is frustrated about the fact that Mick is better in all those things. But he sells it good. People like hero's who say "Haha I don't prepare for a tour: I just turn up...and do I work-out? No I play guitar with the Rolling Stones haha" But he should not bash Jagger like lots of people here do. If it wasn't for Mick nothing would have happened at all since the end of the seventies.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: September 5, 2012 02:04

Yeah, well my laundry machine also does a lot of work and it sounds about as good as Primitive Cool.

Date: September 5, 2012 02:09

Captainchaos
Jimmer

Mick Solo Projects:

She's The Boss 1985
Primitive Cool 1987
Mick Jagger & The Red Devils - Blues With A Feeling probly the best album he's done outside the Stones, shame it's never come outconfused smiley
Wandering Spirit 1993
Superheavy 2011

Stones:

Dirty Work 1986
Steel Wheels 1989
Voodoo Lounge 1994
Bridges to Babylon 1997
A Bigger Bang 2005

"probly the best album he's done outside the Stones, shame it's never come out"
How come I have it then?
It's certainly not bad but I rate Wandering Spirit higher. That was probably the best Stones Album the last 20 years smiling smiley

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: September 5, 2012 02:55

Jagger IS a Rolling Stone......

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: September 5, 2012 03:28

Dreamer
Captainchaos
Jimmer

Mick Solo Projects:

She's The Boss 1985
Primitive Cool 1987
Wandering Spirit 1993
Superheavy 2011

Stones:

Dirty Work 1986
Steel Wheels 1989
Voodoo Lounge 1994
Bridges to Babylon 1997
A Bigger Bang 2005

"probly the best album he's done outside the Stones, shame it's never come out"
How come I have it then?
It's certainly not bad but I rate Wandering Spirit higher. That was probably the best Stones Album the last 20 years smiling smiley

na, Blues with a feeling to me is better all round!
you may indeed have a copy, i still think its only come out on bootleg but hey some info regards this one would defo be appreciated smiling smiley

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: September 5, 2012 23:48

Dreamer
Jimmer

Mick Solo Projects:

She's The Boss 1985
Primitive Cool 1987
Wandering Spirit 1993
Superheavy 2011

Stones:

Dirty Work 1986
Steel Wheels 1989
Voodoo Lounge 1994
Bridges to Babylon 1997
A Bigger Bang 2005

Mick is underestimated as a band member if you read lots of posts here. I'm glad you think different. In my opinion he is much more creative than Keith (and better as a musician; sorry Keith fans!) and I think Keith is troubled by forms of jealousy that give him a distorted vision on lots of things concerning Mick's role(s).
And all the things people criticise the Stones for and accuse Mick for being the creator of those so called worthless things; it's a 4 person tango and they all agree and approve what happens. If you give Keith initiative nothing happens because he doesn't have the abilities to organize things or to lead. And he is frustrated about the fact that Mick is better in all those things. But he sells it good. People like hero's who say "Haha I don't prepare for a tour: I just turn up...and do I work-out? No I play guitar with the Rolling Stones haha" But he should not bash Jagger like lots of people here do. If it wasn't for Mick nothing would have happened at all since the end of the seventies.

Agree with both of you. many good points.
I think it is time to reconsider Mick's contribution to the Stones
By the way,Dreamer, you said in another thread that you were with the band on a tour and know them personally.
There are are a few people close to the band and they are all ardent Richards' fans who have little sympathy for Jagger. I thought a lot about it - what is the reason for such a consensus?

So you are the first person - I mean on this board and with the some kind of relations to the band (if it true) that has a different point of view

Date: September 6, 2012 00:38

proudmary
Dreamer
Jimmer

Mick Solo Projects:

She's The Boss 1985
Primitive Cool 1987
Wandering Spirit 1993
Superheavy 2011

Stones:

Dirty Work 1986
Steel Wheels 1989
Voodoo Lounge 1994
Bridges to Babylon 1997
A Bigger Bang 2005

Agree with both of you. many good points.
I think it is time to reconsider Mick's contribution to the Stones
By the way,Dreamer, you said in another thread that you were with the band on a tour and know them personally.

So you are the first person - I mean on this board and with the some kind of relations to the band (if it true) that has a different point of view

Thanks proudmary.
I didn't say I know them personally. I was on tour with them. Saw and heard and know enough to say that they are pretty relaxed mostly. Ronnie and Charlie are and Mick most of the time. Keith is not such a communicator but I like him.

"There are are a few people close to the band and they are all ardent Richards' fans who have little sympathy for Jagger. I thought a lot about it - what is the reason for such a consensus?"

Mick is just a self confident guy who likes life a lot. A positive and energetic man. Much more neutral about those Stones and Keith things. Doesn't have an effect on him really. Not that he doesn't care for the Stones or for people.
Keith takes advantage of the fact that people think Mick is the smartest and the money guy and stuff like that and because he is neutral he has neutral fans and in any case he doesn't have so many loyal and personal fans as Keith.
Keith always talks about his concerns for the band and putting the blame on Mick when they are not playing or whatever.

So Keith has more fans and also more outspoken fans that always believe him because they are already anti-Mick. And Keith feeds them with his comments about Mick. One day after the interview you can read here what an @#$%& Mick is.
And Mick never says things like that about Keith. So Mick fans don't say anything about Keith. And the fans here on iorr are practically all Keith fans because the outspoken fans are practically always Keith fans...

That's why.
So it's not reality based.
And it's perception too. I mean check the facts. Who makes things happen? Mick. And then Charlie and Ronnie come in. Keith is already there 'cause he knows his tactics and strategy; he's 'always ready'....always waiting on Mick...you know? After that the band decides yes or no or this or that about whatever.
Mick puts all of that on the table. He is the only one who initiates, prepares and organizes things and coaches people around them.
And Keith is making coalitions because he needs that. Out of habit. Because he loves and hates the guy. And the hate makes him jealous and frustrated. And his fans have the same sort of anger towards Mick because they identify with Keith and take over everything he says; his opinion is their opinion.
He even feeds his entourage with that and it's a pity he doesn't see how he influences people like that.
Keith's people always look carefully in the stage left direction so to speak. I feel better on that Mick side because I don't really care about those games. But after reading a lot here all those years I thought a couple of days ago to start writing some things down about this Mick bashing.
Because people are wrong about how they think he is.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: September 6, 2012 01:15

Hey Dreamer, great post, thanks.

But after reading a lot here all those years I thought a couple of days ago to start writing some things down about this Mick bashing.
So you basically know what to expect from "outspoken Keith fans"

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: September 6, 2012 02:37

SweetThing
Jagger IS a Rolling Stone......

Good to know thumbs up

HMN

Date: September 6, 2012 15:12

proudmary
Hey Dreamer, great post, thanks.

But after reading a lot here all those years I thought a couple of days ago to start writing some things down about this Mick bashing.
So you basically know what to expect from "outspoken Keith fans"

I understand how it works for them and don't mind that much. But the interpretations and accusations go to far sometimes.
By the way I made a mistake; the (sound) mixer '(from the) stage left' is the Keith side.

Date: September 6, 2012 15:32

Why do you have to be a Mick-basher, if you're a Keith-fan?

And who exactly is bashing Mick on this forum - our favourite front man?

From what I hear, those two cats both have their good AND bad sides.

A love/hate relationship often occurs when you're together this long - and I guess it's mutual?

PS: The only Stones member who's not ever gonna get bashed here at IORR is Charlie Watts.

90s: Ronnie got bashed for not playing/being drunk.
00s: Keith's bad playing and Ronnie's drunkenness
10s: Jagger for SuperHeavy, Keith for his book

Bill is always getting a rap for his hobbies winking smiley

+ the one that takes the lead (Mick) will ALWAYS hear it from fans when they're not happy with his decisions. Personally, I thank God Mick did take the lead - or else I think the band would have disbanned years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-06 15:34 by DandelionPowderman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1417
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home