Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: "Let's Spend the Night Together" groupie documentary
Posted by: stateofshock ()
Date: November 28, 2010 22:22

based on the book, which recalls many of Mick's sexual trysts, is now coming to television:

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Re: OT: "Let's Spend the Night Together" groupie documentary
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 29, 2010 22:32

looks pretty cool

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 29, 2010 23:07

thanks for posting this,stateofshock .

<< I was a music addict /it was always about the music for me /It touches a part of me <<....
you bet grinning smiley

I don't mean to be nasty or offensive,but if Plant,Hendrix or Jagger could see you "girls" nowadays,they would eventually turn tail .Plus the following "interview" show that these women have -imo already had - no brain,plus they tell lies .Not Jagger,not Bolan,not Hendrix,not Plant were "good enough" according to them.
Me think that actually,neither Jagger,Bolan,Hendrix or Plant wanted to b*** them because there were so many of them.

This is from the now-defunct site www.groupiecentral.com. I thought it was pretty interesting... an interview with Sable Starr...

Star/June 1973

Sunset Strip Groupies: Who, What, When & How (Wow!)

by Carole Pickel

As Star Cover Girl Shray Mecham and I walked up to the shiny red front door of Rodney Bingenheimer's English Disco Club on the Sunset Strip, we could hear the exciting sounds and pulsating beat of Rod Stewart's "Maggie May" echoing throughout the club out onto the Strip. We made our way past the long solid oak bar and spotted two incredibly dressed groupie chicks waving at us from a small table near the dance floor. I had told Rodney (Hollywood's Number One male groupie) that I wanted to interview the most popular groupies on the Sunset Strip for Star, so he said that we should come down to the club Friday night (tonight) and meet Sable and Queenie--the two hippest groupie chicks on the Strip.

Rodney's club has become a hangout for all the Sunset Strip rock groups (like Sparks, Silverhead, Roxy Music, Slade, etc.) and the biggest names in rock music pop into Rodney's for good times and fast action too. Names such as David Bowie, Ringo Starr, Rod Stewart, Mick Jagger. I edged my way along the jiving dance floor, past the pin ball machines (and the pin ball sharkies) toward the two girls. Rodney was with them and stood up (all four feet, two inches of him!) and introduced me to them. And, I must say I was a bit flabbergasted when I got a load of what they were wearing. Sable had on a black widow wide-brimmed hat over her kinky-blonde natural. And a colorful Japanese-looking kimono with wide open slit sleeves exposing a tiny sequined vest and black bikini panties with a scarlet red pair of garters holding up her black stockings. Too much for words! As for Queenie--she wore silver lame hot pants revealing incredibly long legs on six-inch silver wedge platforms. Sable, Queenie and I got into a long and detailed rap about the groupie scene. They had incredible tales to tell and were charming to talk to.

STAR: How would you define a groupie?
SABLE: Everyone has her own definition of what a groupie is. But it's someone that meets the groups, goes to concerts with them and takes them around town, and just has a good time being their friend.

STAR: How did you get into the Sunset Strip groupie scene?
QUEENIE: I had this girl friend and she started going to the Whisky here on the Strip, and she told me how groovy it was and stuff and then I just started hanging out. And eventually I met more people and got my own thing going.

STAR: Sable, could you give me some tips on how to become a groupie?
SABLE : Sure. If you're the aggressive type, the flashy type, you make it. You have to be very flashy, sometimes even sleazy-looking. In a way, sort of cheap-looking. You just have to be noticed, you know, because you just can't stand in the crowd hoping that one of the guys in the band will notice you. If you want to be a groupie you should hang around their limousines or you hang around backstage or at the hotel. I usually know where a band's staying...I know where their hotel is because I've got connections, got big ears too! Most groups stay at the Continental Hyatt house here on the Strip, but the super heavy groups stay at the Beverly Hills Hotel. And so, you're always there.

STAR: How do you get connections?
SABLE: Well you just hang around the third billing bands. Just get to know the connections, like the people who work for a record company or a concert hall or agents for the bands. And you just can't walk away from them because you never know what they could do for you. Even if the guy is 120 years old you have to be kissie with him 'cause he might make good connections for you.

STAR: Is there any rivalry and jealousy between the groupies?
SABLE: Well there are only about 20 really good ones. And I'd have to say I'm about the best.
QUEENIE: Ha, that's a good one!
SABLE:I'm not the jealous type at all--Queenie is though--you know, because I'm always on top of everyone--because most groupies, I have to say, are just ugly.
QUEENIE: Sure Sable, you tell them--you're full of yourself.
(Queenie's holding a half-glass of juice in one hand--just about to splash it on Sable.)

STAR:Alright girls, calm down. Queenie, how about the groupie clique called Miss Pamela and the GTO's?
QUEENIE:Well, they aren't around anymore. We don't have to worry about them. They're too old. God, they're real old. Like in their late 20s and early 30s.

STAR:That's old?
QUEENIE: Sure. A lot of them sit at home and babysit and make clothes and stuff. A lot of them are traveling around with old men getting their money and using their credit cards.
SABLE:Yeah, they're just blocked out, you know. Like they'll be sitting there talking to a band. And as soon as we walk in, they might as well jump out the window.

STARo you ever get into real fights with the other groupies?
QUEENIE: Sure, like once I wanted Mick Ronson, the guitarist in David Bowie's band. He was going with this ugly girl named Leslie and I can't stand her. So I was dancing and making my little eyes, and wiggling my legs and everything. It just made me so mad that she was with him. Anyway she made faces at me so I went up to her and splashed her gin gimlet right in her face! After that, Mick came over to me and left Leslie sitting by herself with her runny makeup and sopping wet hair.

STARo you still live at home? What do your parents think of your groupie antics?
SABLE:I still live at home, but I just say "Hi" and "Goodbye." I just sleep there and that's about it.

STAR:How about you, Queenie?
QUEENIE: Oh, they get mad but they figure, you know, that I know what I can get away with. And I know what I'm doing. Like I never get into any trouble.

STARo you consider being a groupie a career?
SABLE:No, it doesn't pay--it's more like an ego thing. Just to be able to call up girlfriends the next day to say who I was with last night. It's really my pastime because I'm still in school.

STAR:Are these outfits that you're wearing clothes that you usually wear?
SABLE: Oh, you have to wear wild stuff to be noticed.
(Sable flipped up her micro-mini and did a cutsie pose.)

STAR:Is that your most bizarre outfit?
SABLE:No, my silver one is. It's just completely skin-tight and it just goes right over my butt. And it goes way down and is backless, and I wear silver shoes that you just would not believe. They are fantastically huge platforms with a chunk missing in the heels--something like wedgies.

STAR:How about you, Queenie?
QUEENIE:I like my grey-black fishnet stockings, the real short satin hot pants with the Lurex top and my little hat with the cup brim on it.

STAR: How would you describe the groupie look?
QUEENIE:It's in between the New York street and the English feminine look and, you know, like the '40s and '50s have a great deal to do with the way we dress.

STAR:Are the guys in groups attracted to your style?
SABLE:They find me very attractive (Queenie nudged Sable with her elbow.) Like they'll all say, "You're one of the most beautiful girls I've met in America." (Queenie looks really indignant and throws back her head and laughs.)

STARo you and Sable sort of hang around together?
QUEENIE:Yes, we meet the most groups together. We can meet anyone we want to and do anything we want together.

STAR: Sable, do you ever go out on your own to meet the groups?
SABLE:No, never. I go with her because together we're really something else. Like she's really aggressive...
QUEENIE:I am not!
SABLE:Yes you are. Anyway, my looks or the way I dress will catch them, or her pushing will get us there. That's our power. Even without knowing a band she will just jump in a limousine and go and, of course, I'm going to follow!

STAR:How do you let the guys in the groups know you are interested in meeting them?
QUEENIE:First of all, we do our little suavey act. We put our noses up in the air and walk by them, and you know, dance and show off a little.

STAR:What do you talk about with them?
SABLE:I always ask them about their music. Like I tell them how neat they are, and I how I think their music is great. And then they tell me more, in detail, you know, what they plan to do in the future.
QUEENIE:And you know, some really like talking about their wives and kids, believe it or not. They usually want to find out about you--what you're into.

STAR:Who are some of the guys you've met in the superstar groups?
SABLE:Rod Stewart, Alice Cooper, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, Mick Jagger, Elton John, Marc Bolan--just about all the superstars.

STAR:Tell me how you met up with Mick Jagger.
SABLE:Well I heard that the Rolling Stones were staying at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel--I knew a rich guy who was staying there. So I went to the hotel to visit this guy and Mick Jagger was just running around, you know. He looks just like a bellboy, he's nothing great at all! I wasn't fascinated with the Stones at all, whatsoever. Mick is just ugly--dope has just eaten him apart, and from being on the road too much.

STAR: What about his incredible lips?
SABLE:They're all chapped. He's just really deformed-looking. In pictures he looks fantastic. But he's just deformed. Because his body's like, you know, short, and his face is so long. He just got his hair cut and it looked ugly.
QUEENIE:But he's been around for such a long time that he's fading rapidly. You know, he's married and he's just getting old. He's been around too long.

STAR: Was he with Bianca?
SABLE:No, I went to their rehearsal and everything and when we were listening to KDAY the DJ said Bianca had just got into town. So I called up her room, just to see if she was there. And I said something like "Oh, hi, Carol" and she goes "What do you want?" with this Nicaraguan accent. She sounded like a man. The next night I went up to Mick's room and knocked on the door and Bianca said, "Who is it? Quit your banging." I asked her if Mick was there and she told me in a few four-letter words to get lost.

STAR:Is Bianca attractive?
SABLE:Yes, she is, unfortunately. But she is a real shrew. All she wants is Mick's money. She doesn't let Mick party at all. She keeps him in the hotel room. He just really wants to leave her. That's what I've heard from all the bands and stuff.

STAR: What's Alice Cooper like to groupies?
SABLE:Oh, Alice is a really neat guy. He would never hurt anybody. Like he just sits and watches TV and drinks his beer like a real homebody.
QUEENIE:I like Alice. But he needs to straighten up a bit, he has got too many props and you can't rely on them.
SABLE:You know, that reminds me of the time this friend Barbara and I were really mad at this girl who was Alice Cooper's agent or PR girl, I guess. We were going to put a cigarette out on this girl's head. And so she kind of ducked and we hit Alice right in the ear with the cigarette--burned his hair and stuff. It was awful, but funny!

STARoes Alice really wear makeup all the time?
SABLE:Yes, but everybody wears makeup now. It's just a gimmick thing. It gives people something to talk about.
QUEENIEavid Bowie wears tons of makeup. He's got a whole suitcase full of makeup. He put some on in front of me and he even painted my toenails blue. That night he performed with one hand with blue nail polish and the other one green. David is the sexiest one around. I mean, he's just so out-of-sight! Like you'll walk into a room and he'll stare right into your eyes. And he'll go, "Hello," and you're at his mercy. I can't help it. That's just the way he is.

STAR: Sable, do you think David Bowie is the sexiest guy around?
SABLE:No, Robert Plant from the Zeppelins. He's a doll. And another fantastic guy is--you'll be hearing more about him soon--Shady Lady, the drummer. His name is Billy.

STAR:When he's not on stage, what kind of clothes does David Bowie wear?
QUEENIE:Weird clothes. Once he wore his blue lame boots, his green and black satin striped pants with his red jacket and green cap. And he had a big hole in the back of the pants!

STAR:What about Marc Bolan?
QUEENIE:Marc Bolan--definitely. The girls just go mad over Marc. I guess because of the way he looks with his hair and he's skinny, and the way he dresses.

STAR:Really?
SABLE:I just hated Marc Bolan. He just thinks he's so in it because he has T. Rex. He's really a little brat.
QUEENIE:He is not--he's beautiful!
SABLE:He's a brat. He just stands in a corner and talks to all these black people. Anyway, one time I went over and I was going to pour a glass of wine on him. So Mary was supposed to push me to make it look like an accident. Only it was too fake, it didn't work on time because she just touched me on my back and the next think I knew I just flipped my wrist and my drink poured all over him. It looked too fake!

STAR: I want to ask you both what the ultimate dream of any groupie would be?
QUEENIE:I think the wish that's always inside, in the back of your mind, is to really have a famous guy fall in love with you and take you all over the world with him. Like to marry him. Some girls are just out to marry a superstar.
SABLE:Just meeting a fantastic guy that's just darling to you. And just to travel with him wherever he goes.

STAR:Tell me about the ring you have in your nose, Queenie. Do the guys like it?
QUEENIE:Most guys go "God, that's really nice." I think it looks macho, you know, tough and chic!

STAR:What do you want to do once you're finished with the groupie scene?
SABLE:I want to be an Andy Warhol star and do bizarre movies. David Bowie wrote a song about Andy and so did Lou Reed. He has girls like Ultra Violet and Bianca Jagger. Since last July I've been writing a diary--in complete detail. It should be something else!

STAR:Thank you, Sable and Queenie!

[forums.thefashionspot.com]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: November 29, 2010 23:17

Thanks, Sway. Great read. I mean hilarious. These two are really stupid. but, say Pmela is not like that. I liked her book

Posted by: Riffbuk ()
Date: November 29, 2010 23:49

Thanks Sway for posting! Great read and very funny!

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 30, 2010 07:03

Sable just died last year

Posted by: stateofshock ()
Date: November 30, 2010 07:13

proudmary
Thanks, Sway. Great read. I mean hilarious. These two are really stupid. but, say Pmela is not like that. I liked her book

I really like her books too, but....I don't know. I get the feeling that she truly believes that she was something more than just a piece of p***Y to these rock stars.

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 30, 2010 09:07

stateofshock
proudmary

I really like her books too, but....I don't know. I get the feeling that she truly believes that she was something more than just a piece of p***Y to these rock stars.

how do you know she wasn't...?

Date: December 1, 2010 12:41

hbwriter
Sable just died last year

So what I wrote isn't nice.I should have said "what these two girls write is stupid "

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: December 1, 2010 12:42

proudmary

Pamela Des Barres ?

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: December 1, 2010 13:11

Thanks. Setting my DVR now.

Not sure what the Mrs. will think about me recording it, tho. eye rolling smiley

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Date: December 1, 2010 13:17

stateofshock
proudmary

It reminds me a book I bought in Los Angeles,Living & Dying With Jim Morrison By Judy Huddleston .

In the following excerpt,she described her first night with Morrison as a very romantic moment ,but further on the book you can read that actually he didn't make love to her but just @#$%& her.

[archives.waiting-forthe-sun.net]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1127
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home