Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT? The new Bob Marley documentary
Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: May 28, 2012 06:11

I bought my first Bob Marley record the day after Black and Blue was released,
because Keith was wearing a Natty Dread shirt on the inside photo. It was an
instant conversion for me, and I thereafter played Bob Marley records as much
as Stones records for quite awhile. My love for Bob actually eclipsed my love
for the Stones for a couple years there, the only time thats ever happened, on
a sustained basis.

So there's nothing objective about my love for this new documentary "Marley",
produced by Steve Bing and the Marley family, and directed at first by Martin
Scorcese, then picked up by Jonathan Demme, before being completed by "Being
Mick" director Kevin McDonald.

I don't know exactly what happened with Scorcese and Demme, but I don't think
it matters that much, because all the points are made with a wealth of unseen
footage, with narration by the people who knew him best, and of course with
all Bob's music, both well-known and rare. The story-telling is very straight-
forward, so exactly how many chills and tears the movie produces in the viewer
will no doubt vary widely.

In my case, lots.

If you're interested, try to catch it soon, before the whole Stones 50th thing
fires up shortly and your attention is drawn elsewhere. Because, for me at
least, the Bob Marley story is the second-most compelling one in pop music
history, and this is its best telling so far.

[www.imdb.com]

(June 21 is apparently the official release date, but all I can say is that
its around now if you look hard enough)

Re: OT? The new Bob Marley documentary
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: May 28, 2012 06:19

i saw it - it's amazing

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 28, 2012 06:31

"Marley"

Q&A with Filmmaker Kevin Macdonald:

Question: What is it that gets someone adored at the level of a Bob Marley?
Answer: I think it's about being a musician who connects to people through his music, but also it's about what he seems to represent and what he's saying in his songs. There are a few things that make Marley unique and mean that his legacy has been very different, and I think more significant, than any other popular musician.
Part of that is because he comes from the developing world. He's the only Third World superstar. And therefore, he speaks to people in the Caribbean, in Africa, in Indonesia, in India, wherever, in a way that's much more close to home. They recognize him as one of their own, standing up for the oppressed, standing up for the people who haven't had it so lucky, who aren't from the First World.
And also it's because it's easy to latch onto his music because it's so melodically strong, but then beneath that there are these religious, mystical messages -- sort of simple, philosophical statements, which people find a lot of truth in, a lot of solace in. He is the only figure, I think, from popular music who has reached this kind of semireligious kind of status, this prophetic status, philosopher status, maybe. And yet he also has this political side to him in the developing world and, of course, in the First World he represents rebelliousness, being anti-establishment. That's why students have him on their wall with Che Guevara or on their T-shirt.
Paradoxically, he's the spokesman for potheads, for smoking culture, as well. And there's the impact of him as a fashion icon, the fact that dreads are everywhere around you these days anywhere in the world, is kind of to do with Bob. Dreads were a tiny little niche thing, and now they're a fashion statement.
Q: There have been other reggae stars -- Peter Tosh, Bunny Wailer. Why is Marley so much bigger?
A: They're not as musically accessible, necessarily. Peter Tosh ... had a lot of things to say, but his music is not particularly accessible and is not melodically that strong or original.... Also, he was a more strident character, with more strident beliefs, which turned people off. Bob's message is more a message of positivity and of love, and that's very attractive in a world that can be full of the opposite.
I think also he's just the best. It's as simple as that.
Q: His popularity shows no signs of waning.
A: The amazing thing is that Marley is so present around us, his image. And it's not just like the Beatles and (Rolling) Stones are present in our culture and in Europe but not really present in the rest of the world. Bob is present everywhere. That's kind of extraordinary. That's part of the reason I made the movie, is he's so present in our lives, and he's had this huge legacy.
I was also very curious in the way documentarians are, the way journalists are: Who is the man behind this? What's he actually like? There's so much mythology. It's like asking the question, "Who is the real Jesus?" Who is the actual person? What did he do in day-to-day life? What did he eat? All those things you're interested in knowing about someone you admire.
Q: What are your feelings about him?
A: I don't believe in Bob as a prophet. I'm a very skeptical, pragmatic Scotsman. But that adds to my fascination with him and makes me want to explore him as a person more.
Q: Speaking of the Beatles and the Stones, it was important for them to make it in the U.S. And it seems it was important for Marley, as well.
A: It's important for obvious reasons to any musical act because it's the biggest market in the world, and the biggest number of listeners, and the biggest amount of money at stake. All of those things make it the most attractive prize. But for Bob it was something different.
One of the things I found interesting about him was he really wasn't, I don't think, driven by the usual, "Let's be bigger than the Rolling Stones, let's be the biggest act in the world, let's make a lot of money, let's be huge celebrities." He was very interested in getting his message out. He was a very religious guy. In a way, the celebrity, the fame, was all a sort of byproduct of that.
Q: You point out that he has a largely White following in the U.S.
A: For him to reach Black America was hugely important. It was one of the things he was mystified by -- why could he not reach Black America? Why was his audience in America only a college audience, really, a White audience? It got quite big toward the end of his life, but he never managed to speak to the people he felt his message was designed for, and that was a huge irony for him.
Q: What music did you listen to when putting the film together?
A: Strangely, and to my own amazement, I listened to Marley non-stop. I'd say I actually listen to the music more now, and have more joy for the music now, than I did then, when I started the movie, which is an odd thing in a way. I particularly liked all the early stuff....
Actually, I hope the relatively modest aim of this film, apart from just being interesting to people, is to send people back to the music and make them listen to it in a fresh way. That's the aim of any documentary about an artist, isn't it?

Interview

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 28, 2012 12:24

A very engaging film that is a reminder of how powerful that music was/is - and how very young Bob Marley was when he died.

Bunny Wailer wasn't happy with it, though:

[urbanislandz.com]

Reggae icon Bunny Wailer, the only surviving member of the reggae group The Wailers, is not too fond of the new Bob Marley documentary by film maker Kevin McDonald.

Bunny Wailer feels that a key aspect of the late reggae legend life was omitted from the film, his Rastafarian faith.

According to Wailer, Bob’s music was heavily influenced by the 1966 visit to Jamaica by Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie.

Bob Marley, who rose to super stardom in the 1970s, would spread the word of Rastafari through his music, a key aspect of his life that Bunny Wailer feels the film should have given more focus.

“Rastafari was what Robert Marley sang about all his life. Rasta music is the legacy he has left us. When I looked, I did not see an emphasis on Rasta — our faith, His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie and the influence these had on the man Robert Marley,” Wailer said.

Bunny Wailer is also angry about the use of the Rastafarian colour, red, green and gold, as a carpet at the Jamaican premiere of the film.

“As a Rasta, I felt disrespected,” Bunny Wailer said. “I was not comfortable with the fact that they had Rasta colours on the ground… it turned me off and I decided not to attend the event.”

“It is all very troublesome and upsetting that all of this took place. How are they going to fix this?” Bunny Wailer questioned.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: May 28, 2012 16:00

Not seen yet but I will and will buy the soundtrack. Mac Donald is right : Marley delivers a message of love and is simply the best !!
Legend is now available in Master studio files smiling bouncing smiley

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: May 29, 2012 05:43

superrevvy
My love for Bob actually eclipsed my love for the Stones for a couple years there, the only time thats ever happened, on a sustained basis.

It is perhaps worth noting for the record that it was not Marley's death that
caused me to return to the Stones fold. I had moved back well before then
because I felt Marley had become more than a trifle too messianic.

From the film director's comments, it seems he still admires this messianic
aspect of Marley's career. I don't. And even less now than 30 years ago.

If Bob hadn't so fully believed that he was Jah's chosen one, he would have
gotten regular checkups on his toe and might easily still be here with us
today. Nobody is Jah's chosen one. Everybody is on trial every day of their lives.

So even if the director intended this film as a total lionization, I think
unintentionally enough of the truth was included that you can and should
also take it as a cautionary tale. About being too full of yourself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-29 08:56 by superrevvy.

Date: July 22, 2012 19:53

I think the speech could have changed with life experience. But in the movie I mostly saw Bob loving Selassie and Jah. Was he really persuaded he was the chosen one ?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 23, 2012 07:13

superrevvy
superrevvy
My love for Bob actually eclipsed my love for the Stones for a couple years there, the only time thats ever happened, on a sustained basis.

It is perhaps worth noting for the record that it was not Marley's death that
caused me to return to the Stones fold. I had moved back well before then
because I felt Marley had become more than a trifle too messianic.

From the film director's comments, it seems he still admires this messianic
aspect of Marley's career. I don't. And even less now than 30 years ago.

If Bob hadn't so fully believed that he was Jah's chosen one, he would have
gotten regular checkups on his toe and might easily still be here with us
today. Nobody is Jah's chosen one. Everybody is on trial every day of their lives.

So even if the director intended this film as a total lionization, I think
unintentionally enough of the truth was included that you can and should
also take it as a cautionary tale. About being too full of yourself.

I believe that was the sense also with Steve Jobs, who refused the traditional cancer treatment until it was too late.

We always end up being our own worst enemy.

Date: July 23, 2012 13:20

a huge ego can kill yourself then. I am currently making several check ups (true) spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: July 23, 2012 13:35

toomuchforme
I think the speech could have changed with life experience. But in the movie I mostly saw Bob loving Selassie and Jah. Was he really persuaded he was the chosen one ?

I think that you are right. In every interview and book that I've read it's been about Selassie and Jah (even after Selassie died). He did get some treatment but left it too late. I don't if it's true that his rasta beliefs meant he couldn't have his foot amputated but I've read that in several places.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: July 23, 2012 13:42

Are TWO threads really needed for this movie?

And I still think Jimmie Walker would have been dynamite as Bob Marley.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 23, 2012 17:03

Love Bob Marley. But unfortunately he said it all for me about Reggae music. I can hear Stir it Up, No woman No Cry or Lively up Yourself in just about every Reggae song I have every heard since.

I had a roommate who played Bob constantly and I was mostly pissed off about it, then one day, after a spliff, I suddenly got it. Still get it. RIP peace

Date: July 23, 2012 17:21

MILKYWAY
Are TWO threads really needed for this movie?

And I still think Jimmie Walker would have been dynamite as Bob Marley.

you're incorrigible.

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: July 23, 2012 17:26

Always liked Bob Marley and his music. Can't understand anyone not liking that reggae beat. Each to their own I suppose.

John Nicholls

Date: July 23, 2012 18:46

I do not give a shit about people who are so critics. He changed carribean music quite boring to reggae and conquered the same audience as major bands in a couple of years. In each LP several hits...
Now do it...I wait.
And play concerts for a year with a terminal cancer. I wait.

Date: July 23, 2012 18:56

toomuchforme
I do not give a shit about people who are so critics. He changed carribean music quite boring to reggae and conquered the same audience as major bands in a couple of years. In each LP several hits...
Now do it...I wait.
And play concerts for a year with a terminal cancer. I wait.

Sorry to be the first to ask, but, WTF?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 23, 2012 23:18

Naturalust
I can hear Stir it Up, No woman No Cry or Lively up Yourself in just about every Reggae song I have every heard since

Really ? Then you either didn´t hear much reggae or just the copycats...
There is such a variety,so many styles and riddims within this music.
And you could say this as well about blues,rock,whatever kind of music.
Ok,maybe not freejazz...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 24, 2012 00:55

had a roommate who played Bob constantly and I was mostly pissed off about it, then one day, after a spliff, I suddenly got it.

........ The dirty bastard!!! ... did ya have him charged Naturalust??

ROCKMAN

Date: July 24, 2012 01:09

Naturalust
Love Bob Marley. But unfortunately he said it all for me about Reggae music. I can hear Stir it Up, No woman No Cry or Lively up Yourself in just about every Reggae song I have every heard since.

I had a roommate who played Bob constantly and I was mostly pissed off about it, then one day, after a spliff, I suddenly got it. Still get it. RIP peace

Marley was great but Toots and Jimmy Cliff were great too and still make good records today. Sadly the Marley boom didn't really become a reggae boom.

Date: July 24, 2012 01:12

Rockman
had a roommate who played Bob constantly and I was mostly pissed off about it, then one day, after a spliff, I suddenly got it.

........ The dirty bastard!!! ... did ya have him charged Naturalust??

No Rockee, but I did bail him out of jail a couple times....peace

Date: July 24, 2012 01:24

shortfatfanny
Naturalust
I can hear Stir it Up, No woman No Cry or Lively up Yourself in just about every Reggae song I have every heard since

Ok,maybe not freejazz...

Well I tried to absorb what was going on, went to the huge Reggae on the River festival in California several times but usually fell asleep after about 2 hours of da riddims. Could have been the herbs and the sun though.

I do love how the melody line is often carried by the bass guitar in the tradition of Family Man Barrett. btw: I'm all ears if you can suggest a reggae tune that will move me like Marley does. peace

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 24, 2012 01:37

ROCKMAN

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 24, 2012 10:42

Naturalust
shortfatfanny
Naturalust

Ok,maybe not freejazz...

Well I tried to absorb what was going on, went to the huge Reggae on the River festival in California several times but usually fell asleep after about 2 hours of da riddims. Could have been the herbs and the sun though.

I do love how the melody line is often carried by the bass guitar in the tradition of Family Man Barrett. btw: I'm all ears if you can suggest a reggae tune that will move me like Marley does. peace

Hehe...that could happen to me all the time after listening two hours to the riddims...

I don´t know what might move you more than Marley,just for a start a classic one by the Congos,produced by Lee Perry in ´76/´77...there´s so many stuff,from Studio 1,the echo chambers of King Tubby...when I got more time on hand I post more in case you´re interested... smoking smiley

couple of years ago we had a fine thread here with tons of stuff,just can´t find...

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 24, 2012 10:58

Can anyone recommend a decent BM concert DVD? I haven't got any.

Date: July 24, 2012 11:57

The DVD Bob Marley and the Wailers - Live! at the Rainbow is brilliant.

Date: July 24, 2012 12:56

Look at Dime ... some vids to pick

CONGOS : I have the cd Terrible sound (not mastering or what)

Rockman : great pic as always.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 24, 2012 13:22

Braincapers
The DVD Bob Marley and the Wailers - Live! at the Rainbow is brilliant.

Cool, thanks Braincapers.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: July 24, 2012 16:20

For many years I only owned the "Island Records" CD's - The stuff from about 1973 to 1980. A couple years ago I read some reviews of the "African Herbsman" CD however and decided to give it a shot. It's a compilation of some of the pre-Island stuff. It's pretty amazing too and anyone here who hasn't heard it should give it a try. His recordings from the mid 60's are cool - you will hear the early versions of some of his big hits and the late 60's stuff has an amzing groove - and there isn't all the "swweet" female background singing - it's got a little rougher edge to it.

- Looking forward to seeing this documentary on DVD!

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: July 24, 2012 16:43

My fave was "The Wailers" when Bunny & Peter Tosh were in the band!! Peter's
background vocals behind Bob were missed by me when Peter & Bunny left.

After Island records told Bob - Oh the band needs to be named: Bob Marley & the Wailers.. your the STAR... and Bob bought into it. Too bad..

At least the Stones did the right thing and signed Peter Tosh..

MLC

Date: July 24, 2012 17:20

some interesting outtakes and unreleased tracks to grab easily on the web. And all the live and rehearsals soundboards.

Burnin Alternate Version
Catch A Fire Alternate Version
REBEL MUSIC VOL. 1 - EARLY SESSIONS

Mother B Tape - Reel 1
1.Im A Jailbreaker
2.Live A Life Of Love
3.Live By The Gun- Die By The Gun
4.We and Dem
5.Let Me In
6.Jump Dem

The Yvette Acoustic Tape 1976
01 - Are You Ready?
02 - When I Get To You
03 - God of All Ages
04 - Rumors
05 - They Set You Up My Son
06 - Jammin
07 - Easy Skankin
08 - Oh What A Day
Recorded in one of Bob's girlfriend's houses this tape includes many songs that Bob never released and some that would become some of his most famous classics.

kaya demos

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1862
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home