Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Are they past it?
Posted by: belld ()
Date: November 21, 2010 23:53

I mean Stones fans.

Re: Are they past it?
Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: November 21, 2010 23:55

Noup, lets have another tour in 2011

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: November 22, 2010 00:00

Probably

Date: November 22, 2010 00:05

Thanks Jan. I need some reassurance. Feeling insecure in a UK world of dreadful music dominated by the likes of Ex Factor dross. Although from the UK the guys are appreciated more in so many other countries. They should be a national treasure but sadly not so.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: November 22, 2010 01:06

Belld, are you asking if stones fans are past it, or are the stones themselves past it?

The stones are not 'past it'.

More to come I feel...

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 22, 2010 01:08

Are they passed giving shows of the menacing quality of 69-82? Yes, but that doesn't mean they can't entertain their legion of fans.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: November 22, 2010 01:40

Yes the ones on this site who do not seem to want a tour. Fans???

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 22, 2010 02:47

Huh? Where are you getting that, ms?
Of course we do, most of us.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 22, 2010 03:56

You'll have to ask "them", whoever 'they' are.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 22, 2010 09:42

belld
Thanks Jan. I need some reassurance. Feeling insecure in a UK world of dreadful music dominated by the likes of Ex Factor dross. Although from the UK the guys are appreciated more in so many other countries. They should be a national treasure but sadly not so.

<<< They should be a national treasure but sadly not so >>>

They're victims of that well known British disease of loving losers and despising winners. It's just a regrettable fact of life, as a nation we appear to be better at celebrating failure than success, or we certainly seem to derive more satisfaction out of so doing. You're right, they should be a national treasure !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 22, 2010 11:14

I get where you are coming from, but please God forbid they should ever become a national treasure - to qualify for that "honour" means you have to have lost any edge that you ever had. And if by some very unlikely chance you haven't already lost it by the time you become a national treasure, you can bet that you very soon will.

Date: November 22, 2010 13:53

Beast perhaps not the most appropriate words. They are revered in many other countries but all we get is usual shit bout "the combined age...wrinkly...etc. Take Argentina for example where they are appreciated even by tens of thousands of younger people. There the Stones get an audience the music deserves, truly amazing to see how they feed off each other.
I`m afraid I despair in our world of the Sun newspaper and Ex-Factor.HELP I need a tour!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 22, 2010 13:59

Beast
...God forbid they should ever become a national treasure - to qualify for that "honour" means you have to have lost any edge that you ever had. And if by some very unlikely chance you haven't already lost it by the time you become a national treasure, you can bet that you very soon will.

wasn't this (basically) the argument when Mick was knighted?

IORR............but I like it!

Date: November 22, 2010 14:52

belld
Beast perhaps not the most appropriate words. They are revered in many other countries but all we get is usual shit bout "the combined age...wrinkly...etc. Take Argentina for example where they are appreciated even by tens of thousands of younger people. There the Stones get an audience the music deserves, truly amazing to see how they feed off each other.
I`m afraid I despair in our world of the Sun newspaper and Ex-Factor.HELP I need a tour!

Well that's just it in a nutshell DB. You've got it. Other countries seem to be able to take 'em (warts n' age n' all), love 'em, appreciate 'em - all so much more than the UK. Argentinian teenagers are obviously much more switched on than their UK counterparts, or maybe (gulp) .... X-Factor hasn't reached Buenos Aires YET !!!!! ?????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-22 20:07 by paulywaul.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 22, 2010 16:08

paulywaul
belld

They're victims of that well known British disease of loving losers and despising winners. It's just a regrettable fact of life, as a nation we appear to be better at celebrating failure than success, or we certainly seem to derive more satisfaction out of so doing. You're right, they should be a national treasure !

Actually, I have been amazed how little the British seem to appreciate the wonderful rock history with which the nation very much culturally ruled the world from The Beatles and The Stones via Cream, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin to, say, The Sex Pistols and The Clash. It sounds like only the Beatles is the only thing that matters or is recognized as a national treasure. I have heard that there is that strange British mentality that once an artist goes international - read: makes US markets big time - is somehow treated as a traitor or a lost case. The British rock/pop journalism at least have been quite famous for that. Seemingly only the the Beatles has gone beyond that. But there is so much more than the FabFour. The way The Stones is treated in media is perhaps the most twisted case - at least to an outsider like me. They have a huge celebrity appeal - maybe bigger than in anywhere else in the world (something to do with them being fellow British blokes after all?) - but bloody hell any possible "mistake" or whatever negative can be found is used very harshly. The most critical reviews from the old 70's days seemed to be British ones. All the worst rumours seem still to derive from UK. Even though Mick is knighted and all, the band tends to be a bit controversial somehow. Probably some kind of love/hate thing?

But just my observations - there are people who surely know better than me. So please correct me!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-22 16:09 by Doxa.

Date: November 22, 2010 16:36

Got to fully agree Doxa. Our "national treasures" as dictated by the tabloid press would currently amount to Susan Boyle and Robbie Williams. Its been like this for years, I saw the Stones,Who, Free, Faces etc many times in the seventies and they were all up there getting the deserved plaudits but the legacy has been lost/missed/ignored since the mid eighties I guess. The biggest curse here is the concept of "boys bands, it is astonishing the attention, adoration and rewards they receive for little or in most cases no talent. HELP, I need a tour.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: November 22, 2010 17:06

I think the Stones have actually deserved being included on UNESCOs list of cultural heritage!
Now the French meal is included, and I'd say the Stones have had a lot more impact globally and culturally than some fancy high priced small plates of whatever...

34th session of the Committee
Brasília, Brazil
25 July - 03 August 2010
Description
Documents
Decisions
Committee Members
Australia, Bahrain, Barbados, Brazil, Cambodia, China, Egypt, Estonia, Ethiopia, France, Iraq, Jordan, Brazil)
Rapporteur: Dr Britta Rudolff (Bahrain)
Vice-Chairpersons: Egypt , Russian Federation , South Africa , Sweden , Thailand

The essential functions of the Committee are to:
(i) identify, on the basis of nominations submitted by States Parties, cultural and natural properties of outstanding universal value which are to be protected under the Convention and to list those properties on the World Heritage List;

Date: November 22, 2010 17:11

Doxa
paulywaul
belld

Actually, I have been amazed how little the British seem to appreciate the wonderful rock history with which the nation very much culturally ruled the world from The Beatles and The Stones via Cream, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin to, say, The Sex Pistols and The Clash. It sounds like only the Beatles is the only thing that matters or is recognized as a national treasure. I have heard that there is that strange British mentality that once an artist goes international - read: makes US markets big time - is somehow treated as a traitor or a lost case. The British rock/pop journalism at least have been quite famous for that. Seemingly only the the Beatles has gone beyond that. But there is so much more than the FabFour. The way The Stones is treated in media is perhaps the most twisted case - at least to an outsider like me. They have a huge celebrity appeal - maybe bigger than in anywhere else in the world (something to do with them being fellow British blokes after all?) - but bloody hell any possible "mistake" or whatever negative can be found is used very harshly. The most critical reviews from the old 70's days seemed to be British ones. All the worst rumours seem still to derive from UK. Even though Mick is knighted and all, the band tends to be a bit controversial somehow. Probably some kind of love/hate thing?

But just my observations - there are people who surely know better than me. So please correct me!

- Doxa

You're not wrong at all, you sum it up pretty much as it is. Like I said, this "lack of appreciation" I believe stems from one of many of the quirks of this peculiar muddled up nation that we are here, much to my utter disdain on innumerable occasions I hasten to add.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-22 17:11 by paulywaul.

Date: November 22, 2010 17:54

paulywaul
Doxa
paulywaul
belld

- Doxa

You're not wrong at all, you sum it up pretty much as it is. Like I said, this "lack of appreciation" I believe stems from one of many of the quirks of this peculiar muddled up nation that we are here, much to my utter disdain on innumerable occasions I hasten to add.

But there is one feature in the British people I have always appreciated, and you Paulywaul are a great example of that: the ability to self-criticism and even to sarcasm or irony involved in national features. Monty Python could have only been British. The Stones guys, especially Jagger, have a great deal of that in them. Always makes me smile that little remark by smiling Jagger saying in regards going drag in shooting "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby?" that "it won't take much to ask an English guy to dress on women's clothes. It is on our blood."grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: November 22, 2010 18:03

Addicted
I think the Stones have actually deserved being included on UNESCOs list of cultural heritage!
Now the French meal is included, and I'd say the Stones have had a lot more impact globally and culturally than some fancy high priced small plates of whatever...

34th session of the Committee
Brasília, Brazil
25 July - 03 August 2010
Description
Documents
Decisions
Committee Members
Australia, Bahrain, Barbados, Brazil, Cambodia, China, Egypt, Estonia, Ethiopia, France, Iraq, Jordan, Brazil)
Rapporteur: Dr Britta Rudolff (Bahrain)
Vice-Chairpersons: Egypt , Russian Federation , South Africa , Sweden , Thailand

The essential functions of the Committee are to:
(i) identify, on the basis of nominations submitted by States Parties, cultural and natural properties of outstanding universal value which are to be protected under the Convention and to list those properties on the World Heritage List;

Well, as far as I'm concerned this decision should have taken place in 1982 (or 1990) and The Stones legacy should have been protected, and to have remained as it was then, from any kind of milkings out or destroyings ever since, including the doings of misters Jagger, Richards, Watts, Wyman, and Wood themselves...>grinning smiley<

Now, this was a joke, couldn't resist, no need to react... smileys with beer

- Doxa

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 23, 2010 07:54

belld
Got to fully agree Doxa. Our "national treasures" as dictated by the tabloid press would currently amount to Susan Boyle and Robbie Williams.
Susan Boyle does (very brief) Mick Jagger impression:

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 23, 2010 08:42

They should do it like Presley did..one last show and on Hawaii..TV all over the world...I may watch if it isn't Costello with guests on the other chanel...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: November 23, 2010 13:33

I'm too old for this shit....;-)))

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 23, 2010 14:41

Personally, I wouldn’t change the British mentality for anything in the world. It’s what gives us our identity and own sense of uniqueness.

One quick point: when non-Brit’s refer to the ‘British’, are you thinking of Scotland and Wales as well, or, as I suspect, just the English?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 23, 2010 14:48

Thee whole thing inc the Jersey Island ....even the cows....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 23, 2010 15:14

Roadster32
I'm too old for this shit....;-)))

But but but .... you're only 21 ??

Date: November 23, 2010 16:06

Rockman
Thee whole thing inc the Jersey Island ....even the cows....

Hee, Hee.. OK!

No, I've always being curious as to how non-Brit's categorise us. I rarely, for instance, hear Americans refereing to us as English, Scotish, Welsh, etc: it's always British - there is a difference between us all, you know!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 23, 2010 16:15

Big Al
Personally, I wouldn’t change the British mentality for anything in the world. It’s what gives us our identity and own sense of uniqueness.

One quick point: when non-Brit’s refer to the ‘British’, are you thinking of Scotland and Wales as well, or, as I suspect, just the English?

Just the English.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: November 23, 2010 16:31

skipstone
Big Al

Just the English.

skipstone..ENGLAND RULE..OK..smoking smiley

Date: November 23, 2010 17:31

skipstone
Just the English.

Yeah, well that's what I figured. It's only England that really matters, anyway!!

EN-GER-LAND!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1144
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home