Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Reelin' & Rockin' Rollin' Stones
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 23, 2012 21:39

Just found this Stones version of 'Reelin' & Rockin' on YouTube. One of those rarities I've never heard. I thought it was early brilliance to slow it down, the opposite of what you'd expect. Anybody know the origin of this recording? Is it BBC?

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-13 22:17 by 24FPS.

Re: Reelin' & Rockin' Rollin' Stones
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 23, 2012 21:50

Its been commonly accepted as being from one of the Chess sessions,at least thats what I've been told.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 23, 2012 22:08

interesting take on the berry classic, but ultimately it's unworthy of release...which the stones themselves also determined....

Date: June 23, 2012 23:07

StonesTod
interesting take on the berry classic, but ultimately it's unworthy of release...which the stones themselves also determined....

Then, it would have been unworthy of release. Now, it would be a treasure, along with Road Runner, Diddley Daddy, etc. They've got 2 or 3 albums worth of early stuff, if you include the Chess Sessions, and the BBC, that would be a fantastic release. And that's just from '63 and '64.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 23, 2012 23:12

then i guess our standards (and theirs) are much lower nowadays...or something.

Date: June 23, 2012 23:13

They were thinking about pop songs for 14-year olds then. Songs like this show how they brought a surprising amount of muscle to the blues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-23 23:15 by 24FPS.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: June 23, 2012 23:15

24FPS
Just found this on YouTube. One of those rarities I've never heard. I thought it was early brilliance to slow it down, the opposite of what you'd expect. Anybody know the origin of this recording? Is it BBC?

[www.youtube.com]

I have it on my Chess Sessions bootleg. Listed as recorded June 11, 1964.

Date: June 24, 2012 03:30

'Down In The Bottom' is close to I Can't Be Satisfied, but still nice to hear some rare Jones bottleneck.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-14 00:49 by 24FPS.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 24, 2012 03:36

Great find. Thanks for sharing.

Date: June 24, 2012 05:20

What's this? An unreleased Bill Wyman composition? You can hear about ten ideas in this one that became other songs.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: June 24, 2012 08:20

24FPS
What's this? An unreleased Bill Wyman composition? You can hear about ten ideas in this one that became other songs.

Yes, an absolutely great [Bill Wyman] song. But because it was not a Jagger/Richards composition, it never got officially released. Go figure! Could've--and should've--been top 10!

Date: June 24, 2012 22:55

This is more for historical purpose than actual enjoyment. A snippet of one of the three songs from the Curly Clayton demos of October '62, with the original Taylor/Chapman rhythm section. What struck me as odd is a recollection ascribed to Bill Wyman about the rudimentary aspects of the Curly Clayton studio and how they recorded there. Which is strange considering Bill didn't even meet the band until December '62. At any rate this is one of the songs, done as a demo, that inspired an EMI excecutive to tell Tony Chapman that, "You'll never get anywhere with that singer." If this recording is any indication, I can't see where you could come up with any other conclusion and still keep your job.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-25 00:20 by 24FPS.

Date: June 25, 2012 08:16

Would love to hear a few more of these with the vocals stripped.

Date: June 25, 2012 09:11

And here's another, Mother's Little Helper:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-25 20:59 by 24FPS.

Date: June 25, 2012 19:08

Turn the lights on George

Date: June 25, 2012 20:19

I could listen to Nicky all day.

Date: June 26, 2012 05:53

A not quite polished '2000 Light Years From Home', but still brilliant.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-14 00:52 by 24FPS.

Date: June 26, 2012 19:07

Mick could slap some lyrics on this and finish it in an afternoon.

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: June 26, 2012 19:53

Thanks, never heard this befour, don't even know if it was on any album drinking smiley

Date: June 26, 2012 21:04

This is interesting (to me) because you can hear there are definitely two pianos, assumed to be Keith Richard and Jack Nitzche.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 2, 2012 08:39

Well, at least there's something if they want to do a souped up Beggars or Let It Bleed. 'Highway Child' doesn't really sound like anything they ever did, although it's a little reminescent of The Rascals' Come On Up and the sort of thing J. Geils would do years later.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-14 00:53 by 24FPS.

Date: July 3, 2012 21:49

In honor of Brian, here's an instrumental version of Yesterday's Papers to hear his nice marimba and harpsichord work.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 7, 2012 19:15

Here's a cut alternately known as Get Yourself Together and I Can See It. The first is with vocal, the second is instrumental. The song is supposed to be from the Between The Buttons sessions. Don't really understand why it didn't make the cut. It's as good or better than many of the songs selected.

[www.youtube.com]

If they can't find a releasable version with vocals, they can always record new ones over this already completed track. (Which would be very weird).

[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 11, 2012 22:16

In a tribute to the greatest cover band, ever, on their 50th,here's the original 'Diddley Daddy' by Bo Diddley.

[www.youtube.com]

And here, from the IBC studio tapes, the nascent Stones polished it up with a pop overgloss, complete with Mick's overdubbed background vocals. And yet, it still drives with all the rock and funk intact. Brilliant.

[www.youtube.com]

Even if you've heard it a million times, stay for the fadeout of Stu's rollicking piano. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-11 22:18 by 24FPS.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: July 11, 2012 22:27

24FPS
They were thinking about pop songs for 14-year olds then. Songs like this show how they brought a surprising amount of muscle to the blues.

I wish 14-year-old (including my daughter) would chose this as today's pop songs.

Date: July 12, 2012 00:14

The acoustic version of All Down The Line, revealing it's Beggar's Banquet era roots for a song thought of as a tough Exile rocker. Sounds like they were already itching to get on the road.

Date: July 12, 2012 19:19

In honor of the 50th, a 'High Heeled Sneakers' performance from the Joe Loss BBC Show, where for some reason they sounded better than other BBC shows. Great rhythm chunks from Brian and throbbing bass from Bill.

'I Just Want To Make Love To You' is all over the place but you can hear Brian's harp drive the energy level higher.

Sting it, Brian. 'Movin' On' would have been murder (in a good way) to hear live back then by the original lineup.

Happy Birthday, Boys! And here's a special toast to Brian, and Stu, and Nicky, and Billy, and the incredible Alexis Korner, who without, etc, etc......drinking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2486
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home