Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Can Jagger or Richards read music ?
Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: September 21, 2011 22:49

Does anyone know for sure, whether either Mick Jagger or Keith Richards can read and write music.............or is it all done by ear ???

Re: Can Jagger or Richards read music ?
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 21, 2011 23:31

No.

Yes.

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: September 22, 2011 00:55

p.70-71 "Life". Keith's thoughts about written music.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 22, 2011 00:59

It seems to be something of a badge of honour amongst rock musicians that they 'cant read music'.

However, I'd find it hard to believe that someone who has been a professional musician for 50 years couldnt do it. Its not exactly difficult and something most children are easily capable of being taught at school.

Posted by: SoulPlunderer ()
Date: September 22, 2011 01:10

Gazza
It seems to be something of a badge of honour amongst rock musicians that they 'cant read music'.

However, I'd find it hard to believe that someone who has been a professional musician for 50 years couldnt do it. Its not exactly difficult and something most children are easily capable of being taught at school.

You'd like to think they'd pick it up after a while. In it's most basic form, it really is just remembering a few letters and their position on the stave.

I think the whole "can't read music" bit that some rock stars do is to try and display that they came from a humble background etc.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 22, 2011 01:23

I don't think so, but it doesn't matter if the can read music .......most important can you make music

Date: September 22, 2011 01:56

SoulPlunderer
Gazza

You'd like to think they'd pick it up after a while. In it's most basic form, it really is just remembering a few letters and their position on the stave.

I think the whole "can't read music" bit that some rock stars do is to try and display that they came from a humble background etc.

I was able to read music after a few lessons when I was 9 or 10. I havent played an instrument for 30-35 years and could still read it. Its hardly rocket science.

Date: September 22, 2011 02:04

Gazza
SoulPlunderer
Gazza

What did you play?

I was able to read music after a few lessons when I was 9 or 10. I havent played an instrument for 30-35 years and could still read it. Its hardly rocket science.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 22, 2011 02:14

I remember a great Jimmy Page interview where he admitted he never could read music. I think Keith is in that boat after never really having any proper lessons. Although I did have proper lessons for 5 years and never worked towards reading music. I always liked the feel and soul of playing by ear. Sounded less canned than my peers who were following every note as commanded...

Date: September 22, 2011 02:22

SoulPlunderer
[What did you play?

Recorder at school and piano privately. Both from the age of 9. I was taught the latter for 4 years.

Date: September 22, 2011 02:26

Gazza
SoulPlunderer
[What did you play?

Recorder at school and piano privately. Both from the age of 9. I was taught the latter for 4 years.

cool smiley
I've always wanted to be able to play piano. I do play oboe though and study music so the whole reading aspect is quite important for me.

Didn't realise I'd made a mess of the quote in my last post...

Date: September 22, 2011 02:30

At your age, you're probably playing the pink oboe far too much...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 22, 2011 03:13

Gazza

...and you would know because?

Date: September 22, 2011 03:51

been there, done that...but only used fingers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-22 03:51 by Gazza.

Posted by: matsumoto33 ()
Date: September 22, 2011 04:00

Gazza

I think for most rock musicians it's easier to create something original and inspired if you aren't aware of what 'should' or 'shouldn't' work musically. In his book Keith mentioned the 'happy accidents' that you get from just playing around and seeing what sounds good (one reason for his getting into more open tunings). At their peak, the Stones were a band that relied largely on feel and instinct- exactly the kind of band that shouldn't be worrying about learning to read or write music. I remember reading somewhere that keith wasn't even sure of the names of many of the chords he was playing in the early days....

It's a lot easier to break the rules if you don't know what they are....

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 22, 2011 04:13

Keith in some guitar magazine interview said (rough paraphrase from memory), "I once taught myself to read a bit of music, but then I quickly and intentionally forgot it because I felt it interfered more than helped."

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 22, 2011 04:31

Gazza
been there, done that...but only used fingers!

Too much info...

Posted by: lonecrapshooter ()
Date: September 22, 2011 05:33

Jerry Lee Lewis and Dave Brubeck told [www.jazzwax.com] about not being able to read music...very interesting articles

Date: September 22, 2011 09:27

Gazza

Oh, well that's lovely... thumbs down

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 22, 2011 11:53

I'm surprised regarding Page's admission that he cannot read music, especially taking into account his career as a session musician when he'd be performing on film scores etc.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 22, 2011 12:51

Big Al
I'm surprised regarding Page's admission that he cannot read music, especially taking into account his career as a session musician when he'd be performing on film scores etc.

Sure Page can read music, it was actually his forte as a session musician that he could play music with a orchestra or a band totally unrehearsed, using sheet music. In the end that was what made him decide to continue with proper bands instead as being a hired hand.

Mathijs

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 22, 2011 14:08

Can you call yourself a professional musician without having taken a single lesson and being unable to read or write notes? Is this the reason they can't come up with new arrangements on the warhorses? They are not able to?

Date: September 22, 2011 14:17

Stoneage
Can you call yourself a professional musician without having taken a single lesson and being unable to read or write notes? Is this the reason they can't come up with new arrangements on the warhorses? They are not able to?

grinning smiley They DID come up with new arrangements on the warhorses. The problem is that they went back to the studio versions from 1989 and on.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: September 22, 2011 14:18

Being a professional musician is more about making your living at it than being able to read or not. Arrangements of the warhorses do change over the years - I assumed it was Chuck who did this. Horn players almost invariably can read.

I was classically taught on French Horn, amongst other things. The ability to read is NOT an advantage in Blues guitar (or blues-based guitar) - it complicates nuances that are better detected by ear.

Date: September 22, 2011 14:33

teleblaster
Being a professional musician is more about making your living at it than being able to read or not. Arrangements of the warhorses do change over the years - I assumed it was Chuck who did this. Horn players almost invariably can read.

I was classically taught on French Horn, amongst other things. The ability to read is NOT an advantage in Blues guitar (or blues-based guitar) - it complicates nuances that are better detected by ear.

thumbs up

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: September 22, 2011 14:35

Date: September 22, 2011 17:00

Mathijs
Big Al

Sure Page can read music, it was actually his forte as a session musician that he could play music with a orchestra or a band totally unrehearsed, using sheet music. In the end that was what made him decide to continue with proper bands instead as being a hired hand.

Mathijs

It is a surprise Big Al, but pretty common knowledge.
I must've read it in Q, but you can google it and find the truth.
He admits to self-teaching himself music, but not during the session years...

As he [Page] was then unable to read music, he was given advice by fellow session guitarist Vic Flick. His work on The Kinks's "You Really Got Me" and "All Day and All of the Night", along with his indelible licks on early Van Morrison track "Baby Please Don't Go", are legendary.

[www.imdb.com]

He has also stated that "In the initial stages they just said, play what you want, cos at that time I couldn't read music or anything."

Du Noyer, Paul. “Who the hell does Jimmy Page think he is?”, Q magazine, August 1988, pp.5–7.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 22, 2011 17:07

Stoneage

It's called getting paid to do it. It has nothing to do with being able to read music. Arrangements do not necessarily have anything to do with reading music.

Date: September 22, 2011 18:19

DragonSky
Stoneage

It's called getting paid to do it. It has nothing to do with being able to read music. Arrangements do not necessarily have anything to do with reading music.

It's true

There has never been a music stand in front of a Stone at any show.
So are we now talking about reading and memorizing music?
Its all done with feel!!!

If they were all on the same 'page' we wouldn't have such variations in performance quality...we would have the symphonic Stones.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: September 22, 2011 18:45

That having the ability to read and write music is looked down upon is retarded.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1475
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home