Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT, Eilen Jewell an artist to consider and keep her in mind...
Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: November 18, 2010 19:02

Eilen Jewell and her band were in the side of the Ocean last month in a couple countries, introducing their last album Butcher Holler, incredible album and artist, her concert was great and this´s how I capture the show in this review in Madrid,
[creativacanaria.com]

Carlitos
Tenerife

[creativacanaria.com]

Re: OT, Eilen Jewell an artist to consider and keep her in mind...
Date: December 6, 2010 20:03

If you want to watch the same concert I saw over here, just go to the next link review as well over there

[www.ustream.tv]

[creativacanaria.com]

We went to Madrid on Sunday October 17 to see the legendary Sala El Sol Eilen Jewell, "the woman in black", the singer with more present and future of American roots music.

As dust storms Steinbeck, singer-songwriter from Idaho, shook and how the roots of classic country, twinned with the folk, blues essence and raw rockabilly, sounds reminiscent of the 50 'and 60' and jazz 30 '. Eilen Jewell, little known in Spain, kept the flame of the richest musical worlds today, the "American Music," marked by the rhythm of Johnny Cash, Lucinda Williams a, a Steve Earle or a Drive by Truckers at all state grace.

Based on these legacies and thereby traditional and simple, yet faith to create music, Eilen debuted in 2005 with 'Nowhere in Time', passed bar exam a year later with "Boundary County" and in 2007 confirmed his talent with ' Letter from Sinners and Strangers', the aroma country, blues, rockabilly and lashes-folkie Dylan mark the three albums, the influences are present and filtered (Loretta Lynn, Billie Holiday, Bessie Smith, Hank Williams, Lucinda Williams, Carl Perkins, etc.). In 2009 after leading another band called Sacred Shakers winks to the gospel with an incredible album in that year he published his best album so far Sea of Tears, a collection of songs wrenching and tearful.

In Madrid, Eilen Jewell presented his latest work, Butcher Holler, a tribute to his heroine, the female country music singer largest in history (along with Johnny Cash sold more records than the Beatles for instance), and singer more censorship was to bring to the fore issues such as divorce, abuse, anti-war, contraception and other taboo subjects, no more than a notch on the gun that Eilen Jewell has decided to die with their boots on stage.

About a quarter to eleven at night the lights go down and we travel to the typical American motel joint where you can appreciate the smell of old wood, whiskey, dust, rail cars and desert, hence to the end sounded 21 songs and two encores, twenty stories from different genres created from the American, the Delta, New Orleans, Chicago and the Appalachian Mountains. Jason Beek (drums, Eileen's husband), Johnny Sciascia (bass) and Jerry Miller (guitar), sandy portentous music band in which the sheriff with his Gretsch Miller, his black hat and dark glasses made during the early stages devilish riffs twang, chicken picking sound to what a luxury, what a start!. Eilen turned into the bastard child of Billie Holiday and Roy Orbison sounds 'Lucky One', and future new song on her upcoming album, the ethereal sound of the black girl, sweeter and more delicate than ever, and his musicians poetic sadness spreads defeat and pain. His guitar is signed by Loretta Lynn herself, did not bring the signed also by Lucinda Williams (in 2008 was the opening act of Louisiana and the Hacienda Brothers long before). With a phenomenal Castilian is interacting with the audience making jokes, talking about his previous concert Tomelloso, her husband, etc. 'Rain roll in, final hour, "" Deep as your pocket' (his favorite of Loretta Lynn), 'Too hot to sleep', 'High shelf booze', 'Fine and Mellow "(a tribute to Billie Holiday), and' Dusty boxcar blvd '(another tribute to Eric Andersen) are happening.

The landscapes of the songs from his heart, alcoholism, battered women who want to kill their husbands, of deception, those who are there are pleasant to listen to the catharsis of such painful topics. It is noted that certain triumphalism in the sad songs, a triumphalism that even surpasses the joy. The concert so far was a marvel, his music is fresh, clean and family still in that smoky bar road and I was realizing that was before one of the best concerts of my life, velvety voice, superb guitar and band , that 'star in the making "sounded just as Lucinda Williams and William Welch.

The open heart issues happen "Heartache Boulevard"., 'Fist City', this song made tears fall on our beers. "Where They Never Say Your Name 'and' Sea of tears', it was like escuhar the moonlight and dance together and well caught, of guitarrazos twang, country life-Stetson hat and party at the dress barn Sunday and free for all punch courtesy of the parish. The young blonde 31 year old treasured songs and attitude that you gained from the first time by her great authenticity, strolling leisurely along paths concerned but lost, those who always were and always will be the most authentic and interesting. 'Tagging Along With Jesus "(another nod gospel),' Gotta get right," "Fading memory ',' Do not come home a drinkin 'and rich mans world', quicksand songs that take over the present broken dreams and mirrors of his pilgrim-Holiday Dylan muse.

Electric and British side we discovered a great song by Van Morrison when he was in Them, 'I'm gonna dress in black and Shaking all over', the hypnotic original piece of Johnny Kid & the Pirates to Eilen becomes the soundtrack of most sickening nightmare of David Lynch

The train was approaching the station, "if you catch me stealing, putty in your hands and arms codeine" to The Shirelles embedded in our hearts, sings about pain and hate we have drugged! It has been reincarnated as Loretta Lynn finally, for nearly two hours has passed Eilen delicacy, which is where the heart of the music, the dark and sad songs have attracted the most authentic country, the black girl as Cash A woman who can make a season, superb albums, 'Sea of Tears' last year of the three best songs I know old, with exquisite taste, unchecked progression. A few years ago was a promise, now we can speak of a reality, we do not want to be like his hero Jessie Mae Hemphill forgotten forever. In his left arm tattooed triangle has one dollar bill, the eye of providence in a way represents the country omniscience, "a life told in songs."

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 6, 2010 22:18

I like her a lot, the band is very solid and understated and suits her music well. didn't know she and her drummer are married!

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 6, 2010 22:52

Hey,D did I send you one of her dvds? I have a couple of them. She's opened for Dave Alvin a few times. Jerry Miller is a helluva guitarist and was in the band Moby Grape in the 60s. He wrote 805 that Christy duets with Dave on one of her solo cds.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 6, 2010 22:58

yep! thanks scottkeef!
cool smiley
she's got a unique style, kind of effort-less like..but yeah Jerry Miller is a great player.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 6, 2010 23:21

Good call, Carlitos. Never heard her before, but I liked a lot.

Date: December 7, 2010 00:26

She has opened shows for Lucinda Williams and Hacienda Brothers for example...

Date: December 7, 2010 00:30

As I said watch the show in Madrid over here she won´t dissapoint you at all!!
[www.ustream.tv]

Date: December 7, 2010 00:54

keep an eye to these tremendous artists as well, I really love them!!!
But Zoe is really great!!
Zoe Muth, her debut almum´s outstanding!!

Shannon McNally is great as well

Diana Jones

And finally Kasey Chambers

Date: February 16, 2011 14:46

For those Scandinavian over here Eilen Jewell is touring in Norway and Sweden!!!
Scandinavian Tour Begins!

Wed, Feb. 16 2011
Madam Felle
Bergen, Norway

Thu, Feb. 17 2011
Palace Grill
Oslo, Norway
click for more info

Fri, Feb. 18 2011
Dössberget
Falun (Bjursas), Sweden

Sat, Feb. 19 2011
Katalin
Uppsala, Sweden
click for more info

Sun, Feb. 20 2011
Akkurat
Stockholm, Sweden
click for more info

Mon, Feb. 21 2011
Kulturhuset
Jonkoping, Sweden

Tue, Feb. 22 2011
Viktoriateatern
Malmo, Sweden
click for more info

Wed, Feb. 23 2011
Pustervikbaren.
Goteborg, Sweden

Thu, Feb. 24 2011
Stjarnan
Torsby, Sweden
click for more info

Fri, Feb. 25 2011
Prisma Classic
Orebro, Sweden

Sat, Feb. 26 2011
Private Party
Orebro, Sweden

Sun, Feb. 27 2011
Teatern
Norrtalje, Sweden

[www.eilenjewell.com]

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: February 16, 2011 18:08

Love her too, saw her in Barcelona back in September great band smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2102
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home