Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Warhorses and setlists
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 16, 2010 03:15

Jah Paul
As for the Stones, it's a bit too late for them to change the formula...they've put themselves in the position they're in, setlist-wise, and the audience expects to hear the same old stuff. The last twenty years could have been different, but they made their choice.

Nicely put.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 16, 2010 03:30

Justin
Gazza
Justin
SoulPlunderer
Guess what regular fans (not hardcores like us) want to hear when they buy a ticket to the Stones. Oh yeah, Brown Sugar, Satisfaction, Jumping Jack Flash etc. The songs they know and love from the radio and the Stones compilations.
It's supply and demand people, fans want to see the hits and who are the Stones to deny them that? Especially at the prices of the tickets!!!

People talk about challenging the audience and Mick underestimating them but really this is just hardcore fans wishing to hear more obscure songs live. But in all honesty, are fans going to react to say, Time Waits For No One in the way that they do to Start Me Up? No they aren't.

I get that people want to hear their favourites that casual fans don't know very much but hey only represent a small minority of the audience. Question their artistic integrity, but the fans now are different than they were in the past and they go to a concert for a good time, a night out and to see a show. Add intothe fact that people expect each tour to be the last, then if it's the last time they ever see the Stones, they'll wanna hear Brown Sugar.

They can still play Brown Sugar, JJF, Satisfaction, STU and HTW. Casual fans can at least hear these 5 tunes and walk away happy. That leaves at least 10-12 other vacant spots for other songs. But what do they do? Fill it up with second tier warhorses: IORR, YGMR, YCAGWYW, Sympathy and on and on and on. Every damn album contains at least 1 warhorse on it. So chances of fans having the albums, and listening to them the whole way through are very high. So why not include "Time Waits For No One"" Surely, they would connect the dots and go "Oh that's that song with "It's Only Rock and Roll" that's a cool song!

Close to 50 years later and we still assume that fans only know the 40 Licks stuff?? And if they don't...God forbid...could it be possible that they might enjoy what they hear? I"ve been to countless concerts where I heard an unknown song and said "What is that song?? Where can I find it??" And bam made me love the artist more. Hell, to some fans a song like "You Got Me Rockin" could be an unknown song...so why not switch that song for another lesser known song?

Unique band. 250 million records sold in 50 years, and the 6 million people who see them every tour only know and can only enjoy songs that were on a 2002 compilation. Otherwise they'll walk out.

If there was ever an example to follow, it was the "No Security" tour. A tour strictly based on deeper cuts, displaying how a show can survive without "Satisfaction" in the set. Still though, the 2nd half of the show was warhorse heavy.

Sadly, they can't do this kind of show in a football stadium. Additionally, NS worked so well because it was a "tag-on" tour after an incredibly huge and mostly greatest hits tour anyway.

It was also the first tour with the exorbitant prices - yet the omission of Satisfaction (and Miss You) didnt put people off from attending, enjoying and coming back next time.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: November 16, 2010 04:23

It also wouldn't be as bad if they sprinkled the warhorse songs throughout the set instead of clumping all of them together at the end.

If the war horses were kept to about 6 as mentioned above and sprinkled throughout the show, I think everyone could be happy.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 16, 2010 04:39

Yes, you are right, K-82! After 2/3 of the concert the show is practically over, unless you wanna hear a parade of these never ending, stillborn warhorses. You would leave the stadium if it weren't for the fact that you paid 100 dollars for the ticket (and you love to see the fire-works too...).

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 16, 2010 05:05

It's not even like they have to start doing never before heard rarities. But sprinkle in stuff like Let it Bleed,Street Fighting Man,Sweet Virginia, Loving Cup,Gimmie Shelter. Songs that have been played before,just not regularly. You can probably come with another 5-10 like that. Throw them into a rotation,sprinkle the warhorses throughout the set and voila. You have a semi interesting setlist on a nightly basis. One that if G forbid played well. May encourage people to attend multiple shows.cool smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 17, 2010 00:51

To me the answer's simple - 20 songs --- 5 brand new, 5 played before but not always, 5 never played live before, 5 warhorses -- the actual songs in each catorgory can be changed around. They played over 60 different songs on the licks tour, so rehearse 10 brand new, 20 played before but not always, 20 never played live before and 10 warhorses....= great setlists ..should please everyone if they're thoughtfully placed....EddieByword

Date: November 17, 2010 01:11

Another problem is that they seem to have lost the ability to improvise or make different arrangements on the songs. I mean JJ Flash or Start me up, sounds about the same from 89' til now. Even the "rarities" sounds boring when they play them now. Is it laziness, rust or lacking in abilities?

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 17, 2010 01:22

Stoneage
Even the "rarities" sounds boring when they play them now. Is it laziness, rust or lacking in abilities?

Mostly laziness and lack of conviction. It's hard to create magical moments when the band is playing a stadium. They were always a "bar/club band" as Keith put it.

Plus, Keith clocks out during a song he doesn't know very well. Ronnie is over there trying to do his job and also covering Keith's ass. "She's So Cold" on the ABB tour was practically all Ronnie while Keith was laying down usual Chuck Berry riffs (a cop out, to me). These songs always seem to suffer from too many holes sound. And that's mainly because aside from the warhorses---Keith doesn't play rhythm anymore.

Date: November 18, 2010 01:12

To keep this "neoclassical" thread alive: How about if we scrambled together for some x-mas-presents for Mick and Keith; advanced singinglessons for Mick where he can learn that the best technical way of singing is not through your nose! Very advanced guitar-classes for Keith where he can learn that it is okay to skip a note here and there but not all of them!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1697
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home