Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
50% OT: Ian MacLagan's "Troublemaker"
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: June 12, 2012 14:34

I found this one yesterday in a record shop, wanted it for years but now I'm rather short of cash so I am wonder if it's worth buying it? It's only 10 Euro but I could use that for food instead if you lot dismiss it.

Any input? Did you think it's any good? I mean, Ringo on Drums, Keef and Ronnie and Ronnie's Mystifies Me as finishing track bodes well.

Re: 50% OT: Ian MacLagan's "Troublemaker"
Date: June 12, 2012 14:41

You won't regret buying it. Great album!

Which edition is it, the old one, or the one with the bonus tracks and the different "face-cover"?

The fantastic reggae-track, Truly, is worth the purchase alone. Keith's playing on that is ace.

Here is the title track:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-12 14:43 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: June 12, 2012 15:11

Very good one. Look at personnel.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 12, 2012 15:39

Features all six members of the New Barbarians and was released right around the same time as their 1979 tour. Overall, the sound of this record actually comes much closer to what that band sounded like onstage than Ronnie's own Gimme Some Neck, which was released around the same time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-12 15:44 by tatters.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 12, 2012 15:50

Come on, it's not a great album! But I nevertheless loved some of the tracks, - the title track among them. Dutch rocker H. Brood used to play very hot live versions of that one . .

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 12, 2012 16:34

eat something first; you look famished

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 12, 2012 17:46

Get Mac's second album, Bump In The Night.

It's a great, great record that came out around the time of Emotional Rescue, when Mac was playing a lot of guitar (!) at his shows.

I believe (and I told Mac personally ) that he kicked the Stones' ass that year....

Get it.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: June 12, 2012 17:57

Ronnie plays horns ? never heard before ...
anyone knows a little more ?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 12, 2012 18:02

It's great, mainly because it has Truly! If you get the later-day version w/ bonus tracks, you get the extended Truly, although I think the album version was already long enough.

I never listened close enough ... does anyone know if the Mystifies Me is the exact version from Ronnie's solo album, or they they record this over for Mac's album? Either way, I love this tune as well -- Little Troublemaker & La De Da are also very nice rockers!

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 12, 2012 18:15

Pretty decent album, Truly is a mini-masterpiece!
Makes me wish the Barbarians had made a proper album.

Date: June 12, 2012 18:25

LeonidP
It's great, mainly because it has Truly! If you get the later-day version w/ bonus tracks, you get the extended Truly, although I think the album version was already long enough.

I never listened close enough ... does anyone know if the Mystifies Me is the exact version from Ronnie's solo album, or they they record this over for Mac's album? Either way, I love this tune as well -- Little Troublemaker & La De Da are also very nice rockers!

it was a newly-recorded mystifies...mac still plays this at his weekly local gig

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: June 12, 2012 20:11

Truely is awesome

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 12, 2012 20:46

now this is one of the reasons why i come to this site.i completely forgot about this record.

does that song little troublemaker go something like "little troublemaker,always on the run"?

Date: June 12, 2012 20:48

lem motlow
now this is one of the reasons why i come to this site.i completely forgot about this record.

does that song little troublemaker go something like "little troublemaker,always on the run"?

Right. That was written by guitarist Johnny Lee Schell, who later played with Bonnie Raitt and John Forgerty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-12 20:51 by loog droog.

Date: June 12, 2012 20:56

has john forgerty been arrested on impersonation charges yet?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 12, 2012 22:19

StonesTod
LeonidP

it was a newly-recorded mystifies...mac still plays this at his weekly local gig

thanks, was never sure of that -- good to know i have 2 versions!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 12, 2012 22:39

You can buy it cheaper (on CD) through Mac's website.

It's a better prioduced version of Gimme Some Neck. I like it a lot.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: witterings ()
Date: June 12, 2012 23:43

Here you will get both "troublemaker/bump In The Night CD remastered" on 1 CD for a nice price!

ebay

It`s nice to be here, .....

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: June 12, 2012 23:48

Have loved this album for decades.

Douchebag
Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: June 13, 2012 05:48

Lined up to meet him at the front counter by the register after a show at The Record Collector in Bordentown NJ after a show. Big fan - saw him many times before. More people decided to line up across from me so that their line suddenly seemed to be the official line even though I was there first. When I asked him to autograph a poster advertising the show he looked at me with disgust - like I was a line jumper - and uttered that he wouldn't sign it "because they misspelled my @#$%&' name" (which they had upon closer inspection). Considering how many times I paid to see him live and the fact that he always portrayed himself to be "one of the boys," with that kind of attitude he lost a fan for life. What a douchebag he acted like when no one was loooking - except me. Yeah, do your Faces reunion desperation without Rod...he probably has considered Ian a douchebag for years...I know I do....go back to Austin, starve, and wish you were still in the middle of things...30 years can make a lot of changes, uh Ian?

Re: Douchebag
Date: June 13, 2012 06:32

Spodlumt
Lined up to meet him at the front counter by the register after a show at The Record Collector in Bordentown NJ after a show. Big fan - saw him many times before. More people decided to line up across from me so that their line suddenly seemed to be the official line even though I was there first. When I asked him to autograph a poster advertising the show he looked at me with disgust - like I was a line jumper - and uttered that he wouldn't sign it "because they misspelled my @#$%&' name" (which they had upon closer inspection). Considering how many times I paid to see him live and the fact that he always portrayed himself to be "one of the boys," with that kind of attitude he lost a fan for life. What a douchebag he acted like when no one was loooking - except me. Yeah, do your Faces reunion desperation without Rod...he probably has considered Ian a douchebag for years...I know I do....go back to Austin, starve, and wish you were still in the middle of things...30 years can make a lot of changes, uh Ian?

Well.....in all my experiences encountering Mac, he has never been anything but a perfectly charming gentleman who goes out of his way to be considerate to any fan who comes his way.

As far as your story, based on your concluding comments I'd have to say that in addition to being a brilliant musician and a witty, wonderful entertainer, it looks like Mac is also a pretty good judge of character.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 13, 2012 08:30

loog you are some funny stuff! Great post!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 13, 2012 12:54

tatters
Features all six members of the New Barbarians and was released right around the same time as their 1979 tour. Overall, the sound of this record actually comes much closer to what that band sounded like onstage than Ronnie's own Gimme Some Neck, which was released around the same time.

Never really thought of it like that...but yeah great album to pop on for a bit of fun. Nice straight forward "in yer face" performances & production

Date: June 13, 2012 13:00

The New Barbarians are playing together on Truly only, though.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: June 13, 2012 13:25

Thanks for all the input lads! It was the original vinyl version without bonus tracks I'd "bumped" winking smiley into. I'll get the CD though cos the record deck's broken. Well I do understand what Spod is on about, I saw Mick Taylor do this to a fan back in '99 after a show. ONE guy wanted his signature and he refused, laughable. Maybe he was disgusted that just one person approached him? Never saw this from Charlie, Keef or Ronnie.

And I also understand what "BUMP IN THE NIght" means now after have read LIFE

smileys with beer

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: June 13, 2012 13:42

djgab

I am sure he played a bit of sax on one song with the New Barabarians at Knebworth. May be the video can confirm this, I have never seen it.

Date: June 13, 2012 14:54

Valeswood
djgab

I am sure he played a bit of sax on one song with the New Barabarians at Knebworth. May be the video can confirm this, I have never seen it.

he also plays sax in the video for the original video of the wyman's willy and the poor boys album way back when.

Date: June 13, 2012 14:59

Ronnie also plays sax on Stones numbers... (we don't have to mention the two tracks he played drums on as well?) smiling smiley

Re: Douchebag
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 13, 2012 16:23

Spodlumt

A bit of an ass when I met him too.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: June 13, 2012 17:35

Spodlumt

Well.....in all my experiences encountering Mac, he has never been anything but a perfectly charming gentleman who goes out of his way to be considerate to any fan who comes his way.

As far as your story, based on your concluding comments I'd have to say that in addition to being a brilliant musician and a witty, wonderful entertainer, it looks like Mac is also a pretty good judge of character.

Yeah, he had no problem quickly judging my character by acting like a douche. Talk about multi-tasking...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1848
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home