Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones related Queuing - Maximum time and most entertaining.
Posted by: belld ()
Date: October 27, 2010 22:26

With keiths London appearance in mind, your past experiences please. eg for tickets before all this credit card, agencies and corporate crap.

Re: Stones related Queuing - Maximum time and most entertaining.
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 27, 2010 22:40

New Orleans Superdome, 1994

Arrived about midnight the night before, played cards, drank, listened to Stones music, drank, talked with other fans, drank, bought tickets a couple of minutes after sale time, then went out drinking. drinking smiley

Date: October 27, 2010 23:04

Three times "dranking" followed by " drinking". gambling and Stones music. Sounds like a great night. Outdoors? The weather? Next day?

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: October 27, 2010 23:55

When it comes to buying a Stones ticket its about the only time I don't mind standing in a queue..come think of it.Im usually one of the first waiting outside our ticket office about 7 in the morning a few hours before the ticket office opens.Sometimes in the dark..cold and rain.Its always good vibes among'st the people ya' waiting with..quite often ya' see some of them at the concert.

Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: October 28, 2010 00:58

Nothing beats the nights in the streets outside the club shows in 2003.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 28, 2010 02:01

belld
Three times "dranking" followed by " drinking". gambling and Stones music. Sounds like a great night. Outdoors? The weather? Next day?

Don't remember, dude.

Date: October 28, 2010 13:10

Dude says life is so boring without queues.
European Tour 1973 - Glasgow Apollo.Tickets on sale Monday.
Friday night we left the pub at closing time 22.00 and staggered up to that grand old venue. A few others already had established Base Camp.Thereafter the numbers steadliy increased and included post Hippies and Rockers amongst the Glasgow young team. A group of around 15 had come from their commune on the Shetland Isles and others from Scandinavia. Remember the gig was 6 months later and transport was less available and expensive.
Saturday - Several had brought instruments and the party gathered pace. Sharing booze and smokes before all the health and safety paranoid shit of today. I was to say the least astounded around mid afternoon when my old mum and her sister arrived on the scene. They were going to keep our place in the queue to allow us a break. An hour later we returned to discover they had been interviewed by a Scottish daily newspaper. They did look a trifle out of place but did enjoy a couple of drinks. Let me digress slightly. My old mum smoked her first joint at 78 years at Hogmanay ( Scottish New Year Party) supplied by another who posts on the threads. Own up old boy.
THe street party continued into Sunday, but my memories now get a little hazy due to sleep deprivation and chemical interference. Late Sunday evening word spread that the Police were concerned that numbers by the following morning will exceed available tickets. They contacted the Apollo management and this culminated in the box office opening around 4.00am. Limited to 2 per person we got ours for both shows. In the early hours of Monday morning I wandered stoned pissed and happy the 6 miles home clutching the prized possessions tightly.The memories lingered with recollections of the music, the partying and the smells, oh the smell. Oh and the 2 shows were not bad either. We met up with so many friends made six months earlier.
I did repeat this experience again on several occasions not least for Who tickets. This involved scooters, Glasgow gangs and the threat of water canons, but thats another story.
So come on Mick and Michael wake us from our lethargy and make 50% of future tickets only available from the box office. Great fun to be had and in the main tickets to only genuine fans.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-28 16:51 by belld.

Date: October 28, 2010 14:40

rrronnie
Nothing beats the nights in the streets outside the club shows in 2003.

...dito!

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 28, 2010 16:55

belld
Friday night we left the pub at closing time 22.00 and staggered up to that grand old venue. A few others already had established Base Camp.Thereafter the numbers steadliy increased and included post Hippies and Rockers amongst the Glasgow young team. A group of around 15 had come from their commune on the Shetland Isles and others from Scandinavia. Remember the gig was 6 months later and transport was less available and expensive.
Saturday - Several had brought instruments and the party gathered pace. Sharing booze and smokes before all the health and safety paranoid shit of today. I was to say the least astounded around mid afternoon when my old mum and her sister arrived on the scene. They were going to keep our place in the queue to allow us a break. An hour later we returned to discover they had been interviewed by a Scottish daily newspaper. They did look a trifle out of place but did enjoy a couple of drinks. Let me digress slightly. My old mum smoked her first joint at 78 years at Hogmanay ( Scottish New Year Party) supplied by another who posts on the threads. Own up old boy.
THe street party continued into Sunday, but my memories now get a little hazy due to sleep deprivation and chemical interference. Late Sunday evening word spread that the Police were concerned that numbers by the following morning will exceed available tickets. They contacted the Apollo management and this culminated in the box office opening around 4.00am. Limited to 2 per person we got ours for both shows. In the early hours of Monday morning I wandered stoned pissed and happy the 6 miles home clutching the prized possessions tightly.The memories lingered with recollections of the music, the partying and the smells, oh the smell. Oh and the 2 shows were not bad either. We met up with so many friends made six months earlier.
I did repeat this experience again on several occasions not least for Who tickets. This involved scooters, Glasgow gangs and the threat of water canons, but thats another story.
So come on Mick and Michael wake us from our lethargy and make 50% of future tickets only available from the box office. Great fun to be had and in the main tickets to only genuine fans.

thanks for sharing your recollections - brilliant stuff.

Date: October 28, 2010 16:55

belld
belld..yea'.. Good one mate >grinning smiley<

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: October 28, 2010 17:13

1969, LA Forum. We spent all night in line. Arrived at about 7 or 8 PM, to find a small group already in line. I was 7th in line. Actually, there were a few lines, as the tickets for the show were going to be sold from several ticket windows. It was a bit chilly, but we drank wine, shared food, got to know some of the others alongside us, and enjoyed the party atmosphere. As the night went on, the line continued to grow. Every now and then, somebody would go buy some pizzas and they would be passed around. We had discussions about which song would be their opening number. By daylight, the line wrapped all the way around the forum and into the parking lot. At some point I went to a phone booth and called in sick to my place of employment! When I finally got to the window, I purchased 16 tickets. I don't remember how much the tickets were, but they were around $6 or $7 dollars apiece. I went home and slept most of the day but was elated to have had the experience and great seats for me and 15 friends!

Date: October 28, 2010 18:06

colonial
belld
belld..yea'.. Good one mate >grinning smiley<
Thanks guys. Forgot to mention the good natured humorous banter with passing less enlighted Glasgow citizens. "Whit, yous ur waitin fur Rubber Lips, yous must be aff yer heids" Beatles fans we safely concluded.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 28, 2010 19:44

"I did repeat this experience again on several occasions not least for Who tickets. This involved scooters, Glasgow gangs and the threat of water canons, but thats another story."

Pleae tell us. Sounds entertaining and beats the modern "adventure" of getting tix thru a Net vendor angry smiley

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: October 28, 2010 20:13

Spent wo nights in a row at the big A in 1978.

Posted by: downagain ()
Date: October 28, 2010 21:27

The "secret" show @ The Phoenix in Toronto - opener for the Bigger Bang tour.

I got a tip from a radio friend for the date of the show. Turns out it was not a well kept secret as there was a good line already formed by the time me and my gal friend arrived. We did a headcount and figured we still had a shot at getting in so we set up camp on Church St. with a bunch of other Stoners.
In a classic case of "it seemed like a good idea at the time" one of us went to get some vodka. The night was fun. The vibe was good. We had fun time describing where we were in the line to the pizza guy. We drank all the vodka. In case you've never done it, going from completely hammered to stone cold sober without sleep being involved in the process really sucks.
Anywho, feeling pretty crappy as the sun came up they didn't end up selling tickets until two hours after after they said they were going to. I think they started selling around 10am. As we were getting close to the front of the line a guy came out of the venue holding a bunch of the letters used to slide into the sign out front which, at the time, read "Rolling Stones tonight! $20" (or something to that effect). Taking a closer look at the stack of letters in his hand I realized that those letters were going to put the unwelcome message of "SOLD OUT" up onto that sign. Immediate action was necessary so we took the inside track on the line which was probably 4 or 5 people wide. Our tactic paid off as we got the 3rd and 4th last tickets available. The box office guy advised us to get the hell out of there as they were just about to announce that the rest of the tired patrons were going home unhappy.
So we booted it out of there to my pal's friend's place for a horrible sleep in an apartment that was all windows (it was an incredibly sunny day). I continued to feel like a bag of shit right up until the opening chords of Jumping Jack Flash. The rest of the night was pure bliss.
So, I know some of this gig is on the Bigger Bang dvd set but is there a copy of the whole show anywhere?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-28 21:31 by downagain.

Posted by: riffhard72 ()
Date: October 28, 2010 22:29

About 4 or 5 hours or so in the queue waiting for a ticket for the Brixton show in '95. Boring as all hell. Didn't speak to anyone.

Date: October 29, 2010 01:57

belld
Dude says life is so boring without queues

belld..That ancient British tradition of Queueing they've certainly prefected it over the ages.Living there I soon had to learn the art of having to stand in an orderly fashion at the local Fish n' Chip shop or Corner Dairy.Downhere Downunder its usually every man..women and child for them self..yea'smoking smiley

Date: October 31, 2010 13:01

Colonial Stones Queue = Cool Cats. Chip Shop Queue = Fat Cats. Kangaroo Supper anyone?

Date: February 10, 2012 01:04

belld
So come on Mick and Keith wake us from our lethargy and make 50% of future tickets only available from the box office. Great fun to be had and in the main tickets to only genuine fans.[/quote
What chance THE TOUR genuine fans will be recognised? Innocent abroad asked.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-10 01:05 by belld.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1735
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home