Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Best version of Some Girls?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 27, 2010 20:32

I want to upgrade my CBS era Some Girls CD. I found the Virgin Sticky Fingers to be excellent. And most people have like the Virgin remasters, but some have said they prefer certain UM remasters. Has anyone compared the Virgin Some Girls and the UM Some Girls?

Re: Best version of Some Girls?
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: October 27, 2010 20:53

I like to new remasters by UM much better..The UM version sound has much more life to it and brings be back to
what it sounded like when it was 1st released on lp..

I like all the new Um versions better...

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: October 27, 2010 21:02

Vinyl:

Early UK pressing or mid-80s CBS US pressing. If anything, the latter has a slight edge over the UK one.

CDS:

Universal Remaster - This is superb. Nice big warm sound. Easily the best CD version of Some Girls.

Virgin Remaster(UK) - A huge improvement on the CBS CD, but it still sounded muffled.

CBS - Too bright and way too tinny.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 27, 2010 22:03

ah, i thought you meant the song ... Some Girls was still never performed life, I don't believe. This track is definitely in my top 20 of Stones tracks.

but back to your question, sorry I have no idea which album version is best.

Posted by: R ()
Date: October 27, 2010 22:06

LeonidP
ah, i thought you meant the song ... Some Girls was still never performed life, I don't believe. This track is definitely in my top 20 of Stones tracks.

It was performed nightly on the "No Security" tour in 1999.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 27, 2010 22:07

LeonidP

1999!
Shine A Light movie!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 27, 2010 22:08

R
LeonidP

nice, i had forgotten!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 27, 2010 22:11

LeonidP
R
LeonidP

nice, i had forgotten!

Keith doesn´t remember either.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 27, 2010 23:12

Nikolai
Vinyl:

Early UK pressing or mid-80s CBS US pressing. If anything, the latter has a slight edge over the UK one.

Hi Nikolai, have you taken the French (or was it Dutch?) orange vinyl in consideration for your rating ?
Just curious....I have all versions, but haven't really compared side by side. But I've read that the orange vinyl would be the best sounding one.

Date: October 27, 2010 23:43

Erik_Snow
Nikolai
Vinyl:

Hi Nikolai, have you taken the French (or was it Dutch?) orange vinyl in consideration for your rating ?
Just curious....I have all versions, but haven't really compared side by side. But I've read that the orange vinyl would be the best sounding one.

I've got it. It's the Dutch pressing. The French pressing was red. I haven't played either in years, but coloured vinyl was renowned for having inferior audio quality to good ole boring black. Case in point, the Miss You 12". It came in fetching Pepto-Bismol pink vinyl and in - harder to find - black. The black still sounds great today, the pink not as good.

If you want the very best Some Girls vinyl, I recommend an early UK pressing (anything with matrix numbers running A1-A5/B1-B5). These are fairly easy to come by second hand, but make sure it's graded Ex+/NM. Failing that, the US CBS reissue vinyl from the mid-80s is superb sounding too. In fact, that goes for every 80s pressed album on CBS, from Sticky Fingers to Dirty Work.

I also have a Japanese first vinyl pressing of Some Girls. For once, it doesn't beat the UK one or later CBS reissue in terms of sound quality.

There's also the Mobile Fidelity Half-Speed master version. I was expecting to be blown away by this, but found that it sounded exactly the same as the US CBS version - i.e: pretty damn good, but not better.

To be avoided: the limited vinyl reissue from 2005/6. That was pressed from digital as opposed to analogue masters, and sounds no different to the bog standard Virgin CD.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-27 23:55 by Nikolai.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 28, 2010 00:39

Thanks for the insight, Nikolai
Yes, it's true about coloured vinyl, in general, being not as good as black - they get worn easily. Then again....if one doesn't play it too often, it won't be worn. Yes me too have the Japanese one as well. Didn't know about CBS release being that good......maybe I'll hook up on a copy when I stumble across it, thanks for the advice.

There was a really interesting article somewhere on this site: [www.musicangle.com] , concerning the best sounding RS records (thanks, mr CC for the heads up), and they concluded with the orange vinyl being the best source for Some Girls.....doesn't mean that they are correct though.

But....there appear to be something wrong with that site for the moment, because when pressing the "Round and Round The Sound of the Rolling Stones" links....I get the same Rick Rubin interview every time.

BTW, I agree with Universal Music being the best source for Some Girls on CD. I've played Virgin and UMG side by side, and the difference is quite big.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 28, 2010 01:08

Problem with UM remaster is they put everything up at the same level (ie maximum level). At first it can give the impression the sound is better as you hear some details that were burried in previous remasters but after a while it can make the listening experience boring and tiring.

To me the best sounding version on CD is the Toshiba-EMI version. It's actually the 90's Virgin remaster with a slightly better sound. The CBS version is not that bad. Just it lacks some bass.

Toshiba-EMI was made available in 2005 : http://www.discogs.com/Rolling-Stones-Some-Girls/release/1988845

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-28 01:15 by kowalski.

Date: October 28, 2010 01:16

kowalski
Problem with UM remaster is they put everything up at the same level (ie maximum level). At first it can give the impression the sound is better as you hear some details that were burried in previous remasters but after a while it can make the listening experience boring and tiring.

To me the best sounding version on CD is the Toshiba-EMI version. It's actually the 90's Virgin remaster with a slightly better sound. The CBS version is not that bad. Just it lacks some bass.

Ah, yes, good point. I have a few Toshiba-EMI Stones CDs, when they were briefly reissued as mini lp sleeves around 2005/6. Black & Blue and Some Girls are better than the Virgin counterparts - not by much, but the difference is noticeable. That said, the UM versions are, to my crumbling ears, the best CD versions to date. They're not loud, just clearer, warmer and a bit more detailed. But that's just me.

Date: October 28, 2010 01:25

Erik_Snow
Yes, it's true about coloured vinyl, in general, being not as good as black - they get worn easily. Then again....if one doesn't play it too often, it won't be worn. Yes me too have the Japanese one as well. Didn't know about CBS release being that good......maybe I'll hook up on a copy when I stumble across it, thanks for the advice.

There was a really interesting article somewhere on this site: [www.musicangle.com] , concerning the best sounding RS records (thanks, mr CC for the heads up), and they concluded with the orange vinyl being the best source for Some Girls.....doesn't mean that they are correct though.

But....there appear to be something wrong with that site for the moment, because when pressing the "Round and Round The Sound of the Rolling Stones" links....I get the same Rick Rubin interview every time.

BTW, I agree with Universal Music being the best source for Some Girls on CD. I've played Virgin and UMG side by side, and the difference is quite big.

That's just it, Eric, I played the Dutch (orange - appropriately) version once or twice and didn't really notice anything special about it, sound wise. I got the West German and US versions around the same time, and neither sounded as good as the UK one. The early UK pressings of Some Girls are on slightly heavier vinyl too, which is fairly common for early pressings of 70s albums of the big acts of the day (Pink Floyd and The Who spring to mind). The heavier the vinyl, the better the sound. I read that CBS used WB's pressing plants in the US in the 80s. WB were the best US company for vinyl then.

Date: October 28, 2010 01:27

Toshiba-EMI CD's are the same as Virgin CD's. They're both use the same remastered sources. Just on the Toshiba CD's you can hear more details. It's particularly clear on acoustic guitars sound.
Goats Head Soup is an album that really benefits from the Toshiba "treatment".

Date: October 28, 2010 13:19

kowalski
Toshiba-EMI CD's are the same as Virgin CD's. They're both use the same remastered sources. Just on the Toshiba CD's you can hear more details. It's particularly clear on acoustic guitars sound.

You're dead right about the Toshiba/EMI GHS. AWESOME sound on that. Easily the best CD version of the album. I hated the UM remaster, which was distorted and way too loud.

The Toshiba/EMIs of Sticky Fingers and Black & Blue are superb too. Of the latter, I love the UM remaster, but the Toshiba is almost as good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-28 14:01 by Nikolai.

Posted by: novica ()
Date: October 28, 2010 14:33

TooTough

Keith doesn´t remember either.

LOL!smileys with beer

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 28, 2010 15:00

From the LP with Raquel Welch on...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 24, 2010 00:47

Nikolai
Erik_Snow
Nikolai
Vinyl:

I've got it. It's the Dutch pressing. The French pressing was red. I haven't played either in years, but coloured vinyl was renowned for having inferior audio quality to good ole boring black. Case in point, the Miss You 12". It came in fetching Pepto-Bismol pink vinyl and in - harder to find - black. The black still sounds great today, the pink not as good.

If you want the very best Some Girls vinyl, I recommend an early UK pressing (anything with matrix numbers running A1-A5/B1-B5). These are fairly easy to come by second hand, but make sure it's graded Ex+/NM. Failing that, the US CBS reissue vinyl from the mid-80s is superb sounding too. In fact, that goes for every 80s pressed album on CBS, from Sticky Fingers to Dirty Work.

I also have a Japanese first vinyl pressing of Some Girls. For once, it doesn't beat the UK one or later CBS reissue in terms of sound quality.

There's also the Mobile Fidelity Half-Speed master version. I was expecting to be blown away by this, but found that it sounded exactly the same as the US CBS version - i.e: pretty damn good, but not better.

To be avoided: the limited vinyl reissue from 2005/6. That was pressed from digital as opposed to analogue masters, and sounds no different to the bog standard Virgin CD.

Very true for the SOME GIRLS japanese pressing. I found one and received it today. I was a bit disappointed with the sound. Inferior to Ludwig remaster on cd !
Now I have to find a CBS version.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 24, 2010 01:24

I saw the Stones perform Some Girls on the "No Security" tour. I had a seat to the side of the stage, and could see Some Girls was THE ONLY song Mick used a teleprompter for. The news had hit shortly before that he'd impregnated Luciana Gimenez. So I knew the Stones had only just recently added that song to the show--post rehearsal--as an acknowledgment of life imitating art. "Some girls give me children that I never asked them for."

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: November 24, 2010 01:50

TooTough
LeonidP

1999!
Shine A Light movie!

Yes, best damn version of Some Girls ever! So much for everything past is better than things present!

Date: November 24, 2010 12:17

what about a B 3 U matrix for some girls Nikolai ?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 24, 2010 17:20

Title5Take1
I saw the Stones perform Some Girls on the "No Security" tour. I had a seat to the side of the stage, and could see Some Girls was THE ONLY song Mick used a teleprompter for. The news had hit shortly before that he'd impregnated Luciana Gimenez. So I knew the Stones had only just recently added that song to the show--post rehearsal--as an acknowledgment of life imitating art. "Some girls give me children that I never asked them for."

But when you impregnate someone you are responsible for the woman getting pregnant. Therefor it's not really asking, is it, a problem Jagger seems to have had a lot over the years.

Date: December 4, 2010 00:30

Nikolai
kowalski

You're dead right about the Toshiba/EMI GHS. AWESOME sound on that. Easily the best CD version of the album. I hated the UM remaster, which was distorted and way too loud.

The Toshiba/EMIs of Sticky Fingers and Black & Blue are superb too. Of the latter, I love the UM remaster, but the Toshiba is almost as good.

I have the GOATS HEAD SOUP Toshiba Japan Mini lp. Yes it sounds nicely but the UMG is not that bad too. It has some dynamics and sounds clear.
If the UMG are too compressed on some of the remasters (Exile) some are excellent : tatoo you, B&Blue, IORR, DW

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: December 4, 2010 01:41

R
LeonidP

And it was great live then.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 7, 2010 20:37

Nikolai

That's just it, Eric, I played the Dutch (orange - appropriately) version once or twice and didn't really notice anything special about it, sound wise. I got the West German and US versions around the same time, and neither sounded as good as the UK one. The early UK pressings of Some Girls are on slightly heavier vinyl too, which is fairly common for early pressings of 70s albums of the big acts of the day (Pink Floyd and The Who spring to mind). The heavier the vinyl, the better the sound. I read that CBS used WB's pressing plants in the US in the 80s. WB were the best US company for vinyl then.

OK, I've gotten the UMG Some Girls, and while I can't compare it to the Virgin, I'm not 100% in support of it. Doesn't it sound a bit too crispy/overloaded in the high end, especially the cymbals (and there are a lot of cymbals on this album)? I have the orange Dutch vinyl and still found it more pleasurable than the UMG CD, with the usual tradeoff of a bit of clarity, but definitely warmer in the low end. I don't know that this Dutch LP is any better than a Japan (or a US, even, which I have a copy of but haven't done a comparison), but it's no slouch and was still priced reasonably when I picked it up - about 10 yrs ago!

thanks for the tip on the Toshiba GHS - very nice!

and the UMG Black & Blue - wow! of course, it's a superbly recorded album.

I did compare the Virgin and UMG Undercover, and I couldn't really hear much difference apart from volume. And in this case, both CDs compared favorably to the LP. Nice work all around (er, except for much of the songwriting...).

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 13, 2010 20:35

Now I'm depressed. I've now put all three versions of Miss You against each other, the CBS, the Virgin, and UM. They are all unsatisfying. The CBS was obviously the worst. The Virgin is warmer and has a little more presence. The UM was louder but tinny and cold. None of the three seemed to handle the bass right or capture all the little guitar filigrees. What a shame they didn't release the post 60s work on SACD. Those ABCKO remasters from 2002 are still awesome. I won't be going out of my way to acquire any UM remasters, and I'm not as enamored with the Virgin remasters, although the Virgin 'Goat's Head Soup' is a major improvement over the CBS version.

Posted by: foreverguns ()
Date: July 28, 2013 19:58

Erik_Snow

please don't get get confused....If you look on every toshiba-emi cd yu'll see also the virgin logo...so it's the same remaster made by bob ludwig.the toshiba-emi first pressings was made for japan market.

Date: July 28, 2013 22:14

foreverguns
Erik_Snow

please don't get get confused....If you look on every toshiba-emi cd yu'll see also the virgin logo...so it's the same remaster made by bob ludwig.the toshiba-emi first pressings was made for japan market.

Funny to see a 3 years old thread brought back ...

The Toshiba CD's use the Bob Ludwig remasters but the EQ is different. As it's often the case with Japan releases.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 28, 2013 22:42

R
LeonidP

During the No Security show I saw in Anaheim, I was seated up and diagonally behind Mick, and the only song he used a teleprompter for was SOME GIRLS. They had obviously just put that song on the roster at the last minute to match the recent life-immitates-art aspect of Luciana Gimenez having shortly before announced she was pregnant with Lucas. New enough news Mick hadn't had time to memorize the lyrics. My favorite part of the show.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1483
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home