Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: in praise of Buddy Guy
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: February 27, 2012 13:51

Everywhere this man goes, he wipes the floor with everyone else. It's good to see Buddy getting the recognition he deserves. Still, I expect your average Joe has never heard of him.

75 years old and still teaching the rest of us how it's done. God bless Buddy... any other fans out there?

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-27 14:01 by drewmaster.

Re: OT: in praise of Buddy Guy
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 27, 2012 13:56

Buddy is a true blue American music hero. The man is brilliant and you are so right, he continues to just blaze on the guitar and vocals. The man's got soul. We are lucky to have him still playing. Thanks to Buddy!

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: February 27, 2012 14:06

Agree

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: February 27, 2012 15:18

Hammersmith with Mick and Ronnie 1992...cool.

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: February 27, 2012 15:21

Of course! I was listening to 'Good morning little school girl' the other day out of Muddy's 'Folk singer' album of 1964. Buddy Guy on acoustic.I also saw him live together with Junior Wells back in 1982 or 1983 in Athens, Greece. Great musician, great guitar player. I don't believe that 'the average Joe' in USA never heard of him. I just don't believe it. In Greece for sure, but in the USA??

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 27, 2012 16:44

Buddy are like many jazz musicians and some red wine. He peaks at old age, 75.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 27, 2012 16:44

the average joe is certainly aware of buddy guy. perhaps the below average joe isn't. and the well below average joe doesn't even know who the average joe is...

Date: February 27, 2012 17:35

Big Time Praise.

Truly a weapon of mass instruction.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 27, 2012 17:47

Hey Buddy Guy is a hero and idol in this guys neighborhood. Of course we all know him and his music well. One of the few artists from that era who has maintained a steady ouitput of great recorded material. A consumate showman and a blast to watch perform.

Here is a Buddy Guy story of mine:

I had an ex-girlfriend visiting from LA and we went to the City (San Francisco) to wander about , shop and eat. We went by Golden Gate Park and there was a big concert going on. All the fences were up and we were wandering by on the outside of the fence when I heard a Hey You!

It was Sherry a sweet gal who was the booker for the Great American Music Hall on the inside of the fence. We had just played a show there a couple weeks before and she recognized me. I asked "What's going on?". She said "it's a big event with lots of bands and Buddy Guy is about to go on. You guys want to come in?" She was the promoter for the event! Hell yeah! of course we do.

She took us in the turnstiles, slapped a couple of passes on us and led us up to the front of the stage. Buddy Guy was already into his set. We are BIG smiling at our fortune, still a bit shocked when Buddy comes down off the stage with his looong guitar cord , walks right up to my ex-girlfriend and holds out the friggin guitar for her to take a couple of strums. Insane! She giggles and runs her hand across the strings a few times, much to Buddy's delight. Whoo Hoo!

Of course I wanted to massage the frets myself but I was really tickled he had picked her out of the crowd for that little trick! We watched the rest of the show with delight.

I mean one minute we are walking thru golden gate park on the homeless people side of the fence and the next minute (almost literally) we are standing nose to nose with Buddy Guy playing his guitar during his song! Talk about good timing. That was a nice day and a good memory. I love Buddy Guy! Thanks Sherry you made our day! peace

Date: February 27, 2012 17:58

i had a similar up-close-and-personal encounter with buddy at the warfield circa 1994...

Date: February 27, 2012 18:36

Hi Tod! He did the same trick with the long guitar cord? You played his tele? peace

Date: February 27, 2012 18:46

Naturalust
Hi Tod! He did the same trick with the long guitar cord? You played his tele? peace

i passed on playing...but yeah to the rest.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: February 27, 2012 19:06

watch buddy do his promo for the pbs broascast tonite!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 27, 2012 23:11

Buddy is amazing: I love Sweet Tea, which is basically Buddy does Fat Possum. It is one of the greatest albums you'd ever hear. For those out there on IORR, BUY IT !!!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 27, 2012 23:12

I got to meet him in 1999. He still had the cover-alls and jerry-curl do. MAN he's a big guy! (I'm only 5'8").

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: February 28, 2012 00:02

StonesTod
the average joe is certainly aware of buddy guy. perhaps the below average joe isn't. and the well below average joe doesn't even know who the average joe is...

Putting it this way, I will agree.

Date: February 28, 2012 02:17

jamesfdouglas
I got to meet him in 1999. He still had the cover-alls and jerry-curl do. MAN he's a big guy! (I'm only 5'8").

he's a little guy; but i'm 6-4

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: February 28, 2012 03:25

StonesTod
jamesfdouglas

Well Tod, at least I measure up to you in the height department (but not the wit department).

Drew (6'5")

Date: February 28, 2012 03:39

drewmaster
StonesTod
jamesfdouglas

Well Tod, at least I measure up to you in the height department (but not the wit department).

Drew (6'5")

but at 74 i haven't gone thru my final growth spurt...

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: February 28, 2012 04:26

We caight him at his club this past Jan. and the man still smokes the joint. Such a class act as well, always spends time with his fans after his show.I wouldn't mess with him, though. About ten years ago we were at one of his Legends shows where a group of very sloppy drunk patrons were told to leave after breaking glasses and falling into other patrons. At the end of the show, we were leaving as Buddy was getting ready to depart when a woman, still drunk, lurched up to Buddy and slurred, "Buddy, I gotta tell you something..." He recognized her and cut her off, saying "You ain't tellin' me a MFin' thing." We cheered him as he hopped into his SUV, leaving the flabbergasted drunk at the curb where she belonged.

Date: February 28, 2012 18:09

lmfao roryg, nice story. peace

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: February 28, 2012 18:18

A Man and the Blues ...
I'm pretty sure it's Otis Spann on piano

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 28, 2012 18:58

yeah you bet: thanks and praises to Buddy Guy!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1746
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home