Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Track Talk (Some Girls Deluxe): Tallahassee Lassie
Posted by: René ()
Date: February 27, 2012 10:54

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Tallahassee Lassie
(Frank C. Slay Jr. / Bob Crewe / Frederick A. Picariello)

RCA Studios, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, US,
August 23 - September 8, 1978, Le Fork Studios & La Fourchette, Pocé sur Cisse,
France, August 2011 and Berkeley Street Studios, Los Angeles, California, US,
August 2011

Mick Jagger - vocals, percussion, handclaps
Keith Richards - electric guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Ron Wood - electric guitar
Ian McLagan - piano
Don Was - handclaps
John Fogerty - handclaps

Well, she comes from Tallahassee, she got a hi-class chassis
Yeah, it looks a little sassy, yeah, to me she's really classy
She's my Tallahassee Lassie, down in F.L.A.

Well, she dances to the Bop, she dances to the Stroll
She dances to the Walk, she can rock and roll

She's my Tallahassee Lassie, yeah, Tallahassee Lassie

Well, she dances to the Bop, she dances to the Stroll
She dances to the Walk, oh, she can rock and roll

She's my Tallahassee Lassie, ah yeah, Tallahassee Lassie

Well, she comes from Tallahassee, she got a hi-class chassis
She really looks a little sassy, yeah, to me she's real classy

Well, she's my Tallahassee Lassie, down in F.L.A.

Produced by The Glimmer Twins, Chris Kimsey & Don Was

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Some Girls” 2CD
(Universal Music 278 924-3) UK, November 18, 2011

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-05 10:05 by René.

Re: Track Talk (Some Girls Deluxe): Tallahassee Lassie
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 27, 2012 11:10

isn't it a high-class chassis she's got?
anyway this thing is just freakin hot, every which way at once

i love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 27, 2012 12:39

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: February 27, 2012 13:21

with sssoul
anyway this thing is just freakin hot, every which way at once

Yes indeed, smokin' hot, and nicely spruced up for the SG Deluxe set ...

Green Lady, thanks for posting the Freddy Cannon original. Knowing little about early rock and roll, I had always assumed that this was a Glimmer Twins original. You inspired me to do a little research, and it turns out it's been covered by quite a few artists. Here's an old Fleetwood Mac version that rocks out...

Drew

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 27, 2012 13:59

It's been covered by all the world and his band - but to my mind the Stones' cover comes nearest to the sheer raw energy of the original. Freddy Cannon was 18 when he recorded it, and like the Stones version, it's a demo or outtake. And it's really Freddy Cannon's own - he's "Frederick A. Picariello" and the rest of the composing credits are a bit of a stitch-up...

[www.history-of-rock.com]

Long before graduating from high school Cannon knew he wanted a musical career. So at an underage sixteen he joined the National Guard to stave off military service. Soon after he married and by the time he graduated was a father.

Like his father he was a delivery truck driver by day while the popularity of the Hurricanes spread locally. frequently playing record hops and high school dances it was at one of these that they noticed by Boston deejay Jack McDermott. who signed Cannon to a managerial contract. Impressed by his professionalism what really caught McDermott's attention was a song "Tallahassee Lassie" that he was shouting at the top of his lungs.

In late 1958, McDermott make a tape demo which he took to Bo Crewe and independent producer that wrote songs with Frank Slay, an aspiring bandleader. The two had a small, but respectable list of hit records mostly with Philadelphia based Swan and Parkway/Cameo Records. Upon receiving the tapes Crewe and Slay offered to produce a demo in return for two-thirds of the composing credits.

On November, 1958 Crewe and Slay booked a session for Cannon and the band at Boston's Ace Studio. Even with Slay on the piano the session didn't go well. Determining that Freddy's guitar playing wasn't good enough Kenny Paulson, who had formerly been with Dale Hawkins, was brought in to play lead. After fifty takes and unhappy with the results the producers and musicians called it quits. The sound on the demo was decided to be too crude for commercial release.

This was confirmed when every New York label they approached turn them down. A few months later Slay played it for a New Jersey deejay that thought it was great. They the offered it to Philadelphia based Swan Records that was partially owned by Dick Clark. Clark liked the song, but suggested the vocal bridge, the part that begins with the pounding bass drum that begins "She dances to the bop" be repeated. Clark's instinct's were right in seeing this as the songs true hook. Unwilling to try and re-record the song, they simply spliced a copy of the bridge on the end, and that's the way the record was released.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 27, 2012 14:18

A rollicking good time! A great edition to their great rockers. And yet another reason why I love the Some Girls bonus disc. One of their best album since Some Girls.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 27, 2012 14:28

Green Lady

Can't stand the way he keeps going "Whoooo" all the time. I used to hear this (and other Freddy songs) on the oldies station, and I always thought it was the "whacky" DJ who was making the Whoooo sounds, and I just wished he would stop it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-27 14:35 by tatters.

Date: February 27, 2012 15:34

Kick ass rock'n'roll! It blows my mind they haven't released a few albums of all the covers they've done. Of course, post 1960s albums that is. Why didn't they put this out as a B-side in 1978?

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 27, 2012 16:41

Its a good old rocker....But you can see why it wasn't part of Some Girls..
Not as good as any of the songs on that album.

It could have been added to Emotional Rescue album which needed another rocker..

Could have replaced Indian Girl!!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 27, 2012 17:45

Eh, not so much. On the other hand, 'Indian Girl' only grows in stature.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 27, 2012 17:49

hot stuff

But it was never even intended from SG, or probably not for ANY album, as this was just a "warm up recording" in Los Angeles August 1978. That was a session which wasn't really a session, but a "studio rehearsal", where they tried to come up with new ideas. All instruments was being played live at the same time.

Oh, and I'm a big fan of Tallahassee Lassie, even the previously circulating bootleg version, in which one couldn't hear the vocals.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 27, 2012 18:16

Erick---I know it wasn't going to be part of SG...

But i have alway liked to have seen at least 1 more rocker added to ER..
And TL---could have fit the bill...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 27, 2012 19:44

Erik_Snow
hot stuff

But it was never even intended from SG, or probably not for ANY album, as this was just a "warm up recording" in Los Angeles August 1978. That was a session which wasn't really a session, but a "studio rehearsal", where they tried to come up with new ideas. All instruments was being played live at the same time.

Oh, and I'm a big fan of Tallahassee Lassie, even the previously circulating bootleg version, in which one couldn't hear the vocals.

According to Wyman the RCA sessions where held because Keith didn't want to end the tour. Keith said he wanted to record the Stones right after the tour when they where hot, but Wyman insists that was bollocks as there wasn't any new material accept for Summer Romance.

Mathijs

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 27, 2012 20:39

Mathijs
Erik_Snow
hot stuff

According to Wyman the RCA sessions where held because Keith didn't want to end the tour. Keith said he wanted to record the Stones right after the tour when they where hot, but Wyman insists that was bollocks as there wasn't any new material accept for Summer Romance.

Mathijs

Wyman made sense there

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: February 27, 2012 21:44

I love this track and am glad it was included on the bonus disc.

My daughter, upon hearing this one, ran to her room, dusted off her guitar, and came dancing and strumming back in!

See, who says the boys can't still be relevant?
Well, better late than never huh!?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 28, 2012 04:53

Love this track but I have (imo) discovered an even more blistering version (Ian Dury has the voice for this even though he does keep forgetting the lyrics, Eddy Grant - brilliant)

Ian Dury B/W Bill Wyman's All Stars (Ron Wood - Chris Rea - Eddy Grant - Terence Trent D'arby - Elvis Costello and more) at the Albert hall in 1987, A.I.M.S. Gala benefit show

Tallahassee Lassie starts @ 36 mns/1hr 11mns........great show available commercially, ends with 'It's all over now' and HTW.

[www.dailymotion.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-29 02:57 by EddieByword.

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: February 28, 2012 15:28

i like it very much too! very enjoyable, rocking stones track! great to have it on the SG-Bonus-disc!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2560
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home