Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

How many times do you think the Stones have played...
Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: February 25, 2012 05:45

Satisfaction or any of the other "war horses?" I was just finishing Gimme Shelter (jonsing 'cause I can't see Keith at the Apollo)...when they played Satisfaction, I was thinking, man this song was 4 years old in 1969...

How many times do you think they've played it? What's the song they play most LIVE?

For musicians - do you get bored doing that? Or if it's paying the mortgage, you don't care?

Thanks! smoking smiley

Re: How many times do you think the Stones have played...
Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: February 25, 2012 05:55

There's a website out there that has all kinds of stats. I can't remember offhand. Anyone?

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 25, 2012 05:59

I'd guess "Jumpin' Jack Flash" is the song they've played the most...virtually every show and tour since 1969. "Honky Tonk Women" is probably #2, with "Brown Sugar" and "Tumbling Dice" after that.

"Satisfaction" wasn't played much at all in 72/73, 75/76 and 78...but it would still rank pretty high.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-25 06:03 by Jah Paul.

Date: February 25, 2012 06:00

I'm pretty sure Jumping Jack Flash may hold the title for most times played.

Edit: Jinx!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-25 06:00 by Sipuncula.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 25, 2012 06:02

sorry, duplicate post!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-25 06:04 by Jah Paul.

Date: February 25, 2012 06:03

Buy me a coke.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 25, 2012 12:22

oops! sorry for the duplicate post - movin right along here ... :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-25 13:55 by with sssoul.

Date: February 25, 2012 12:27

the great and powerful Gazza (FYWY) has done the calculations so i reckon the count is somewhere on Rocks Off ...

memphiscats
do you get bored [playing the same numbers for years and years?]

one of the keys to the Stones' success is that they play what they love;
another is that they know how to write music that they don't get sick of playing

Date: February 25, 2012 12:29

with sssoul
the great and powerful Gazza (FYWY) has done the calculations so i reckon the count is somewhere on Rocks Off ...

... right here as well: [www.iorr.org]

Date: February 25, 2012 15:59

[www.setlist.fm]

Try this link

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: February 25, 2012 16:09

Sipuncula
There's a website out there that has all kinds of stats. I can't remember offhand. Anyone?

I believe www.timeisonourside.com has all sorts of stats like that. I'm sure the big hits have been played thousands of times. Keith says the one he never tires of is JJF. He says he goes onstage after all these years looking forward to that one.

Date: February 25, 2012 16:24

with sssoul
with sssoul

... right here as well: [www.iorr.org]

W/ that link, I didn't know they played It Won't Take Long twice! smileys with beer

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: February 25, 2012 16:31

Jah Paul
I'd guess "Jumpin' Jack Flash" is the song they've played the most...virtually every show and tour since 1969.

Funny because that's probably one of the least known Stones songs (outside of IORR & fans of the band).

Date: February 25, 2012 16:34

Youngie
Funny because [Jumpin' Jack Flash is] probably one of the least known Stones songs (outside of IORR & fans of the band).

eye popping smiley on which planet?? eye popping smiley

Date: February 25, 2012 16:38

with sssoul
Youngie
Funny because [Jumpin' Jack Flash is] probably one of the least known Stones songs (outside of IORR & fans of the band).

Planet earth.

When non-fans think of the Stones they think of Satisfaction & Brown Sugar. And Start Me Up. All these commercial(ish) sounding stuff.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 25, 2012 16:40

Youngie
with sssoul
Youngie

Planet earth.

When non-fans think of the Stones they think of Satisfaction & Brown Sugar. And Start Me Up. All these commercial(ish) sounding stuff.

If they've ever, at any time in their lives, owned a radio, they also think of JJF.

Date: February 25, 2012 16:46

tatters
If they've ever, at any time in their lives, owned a radio, they also think of JJF.

Nope.

When I think of The Stones I think of JJF, MR & GS but I'm a fan!

Non fans think of the commercial hits. Was JJF ever on Top Of The Pops for instance? Did the song ever get huge radio play like Satisfaction or Start Me Up? Nah.

Date: February 25, 2012 16:58

Youngie
Did the song ever get huge radio play like Satisfaction or Start Me Up?

of course it did!
plus being prominently featured in several films, including one that was named after it,
plus being on miles of compilations and concert releases, plus being covered by a bunch of people
seriously, a person would have to be pretty thoroughly isolated from post-1968 anglophone culture not to have heard JJF

Date: February 25, 2012 17:03

with sssoul
Youngie
Did the song ever get huge radio play like Satisfaction or Start Me Up?

of course it did!
plus being prominently featured in several films, including one that was named after it,
plus being on miles of compilations and concert releases, plus being covered by a bunch of people
seriously, a person would have to be pretty thoroughly isolated from post-1968 anglophone culture not to have heard JJF

LOL. When did I say no one heard JJF ever? My point is that JJF is not near being the song people think of when you mention The Stones.

And I doubt JJF was ever given huge radio airplay because of its song content (occult?). So there tongue sticking out smiley

Date: February 25, 2012 17:03

Youngie
tatters

Nope.

When I think of The Stones I think of JJF, MR & GS but I'm a fan!

Non fans think of the commercial hits. Was JJF ever on Top Of The Pops for instance? Did the song ever get huge radio play like Satisfaction or Start Me Up? Nah.

It was a #1 hit in the UK and #3 in the states. It's played every day on the classic rock station I listen to.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-25 17:08 by tatters.

Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: February 25, 2012 17:06

10,848 times

Date: February 25, 2012 17:12

tatters
It was a #1 hit in the UK and #3 in the states. It's played every day on the classic rock station I listen to.

OK it was a hit for a while. Played every day? LOL. Just no.

What classic rock station was that? A Stones rock station? LOL.

So we'll say it was a #1 and played on the radio a bit. Big deal. It still is far off what non fans think when you mention The Stones.

Don't Start Me Up because if you do I'll never stop spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: February 25, 2012 17:13

Youngie
tatters

OK it was a hit for a while. Played every day? LOL. Just no.

What classic rock station was that? A Stones rock station? LOL.

So we'll say it was a #1 and played on the radio a bit. Big deal. It still is far off what non fans think when you mention The Stones.

Don't Start Me Up because if you do I'll never stop spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

You're just too silly to talk to anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-25 17:14 by tatters.

Date: February 25, 2012 17:14

Hey tatters don't take it so seriously. I do have a point though.

Date: February 25, 2012 17:18

Youngie
LOL. When did I say no one heard JJF ever? My point is that JJF is not near being the song people think of when you mention The Stones.
And I doubt JJF was ever given huge radio airplay because of its song content (occult?)

... okay i get that you weren't around when the song came out, so hark to the earwitnesses: it got huge radio play.
and of course people think of it when one mentions the Stones - it's one of their most classic "signature" pieces.
if people you know don't think of JJF when you ask them to name Stones numbers you really should get out more tongue sticking out smiley

meanwhile, where does "occult" enter into it?? i can't think of anything "occult" about the "song content"
are you thinking of the B-side? or maybe you mean that spooky-looking video?
but that didn't affect radio play - they didn't air videos on the radio in those days spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Youngie
So there

LoFL: right

Date: February 25, 2012 17:22

with sssoul
... okay i get that you weren't around when the song came out, so hark to the earwitnesses: it got huge radio play.
and of course people think of it when one mentions the Stones - it's one of their most classic "signature" pieces.

Yeah it's a classic "signature" piece but that means nothing to non fans in China for example. They don't think of JJF when you mention The Stones. They think of the commercial hits like Start Me Up or Satisfaction.

I can see you've lost the battle. tongue sticking out smiley

with sssoul
meanwhile, where does "occult" enter into it?? i can't think of anything "occult" about the "song content"

Don't make me get the songs lyrics...

Date: February 25, 2012 17:26

ahh ffs ... Youngie the spokesperson for the population of China
tatters got it right a few posts ago

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: February 25, 2012 17:30

Youngie
with sssoul

Yeah it's a classic "signature" piece but that means nothing to non fans in China for example. They don't think of JJF when you mention The Stones. They think of the commercial hits like Start Me Up or Satisfaction.

I can see you've lost the battle. tongue sticking out smiley

with sssoul

Don't make me get the songs lyrics...
C'mon - wanna here about the lyrics too...guess I'll have to start a new thread on silly Stones stuff that keeps me sane 'til the tour tix go on sale. smoking smiley

Date: February 25, 2012 17:34

with sssoul
ahh ffs ... Youngie the spokesperson for the population of China
tatters got it right a few posts ago

Nah not just for China but for the world cool smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1823
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home