Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How Do You Listen To Music?
Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: October 24, 2010 15:38

I´m turning progressively to playing my music via my pc.
Through my stereo. I´m just wondering how does the quality
compare to a conventional pre-recorded CD.
I prefer to save space using my external HD´s.

Re: How Do You Listen To Music?
Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: October 24, 2010 15:58

real music lovers burn cds and buy vinyl!

NOTHING ever sounded better than vinyl!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: October 24, 2010 16:37

I mostly listen to music through earphones connected to the PC when working at it. No jokes please.

Posted by: zumabitch ()
Date: October 24, 2010 16:59

I mostly listen to music through my hears .. no joke ...-> ..some short and tight melodic structures that Bill Wyman pumps in the air in 1981 US tour give me a sort of "tactile" sensation...

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: October 24, 2010 17:04

jagger50
I´m turning progressively to playing my music via my pc.
Through my stereo. I´m just wondering how does the quality
compare to a conventional pre-recorded CD.
If your stereo has digital in and the soundcard has digital out, it should be as good. Otherwise it depends on the quality of the DAC and the opamp of your soundcard. They could be better than the ones in your stereo or much worse.

I currently listen through the computer speakers mostly, but I'm in the process of buying a computer system for listening in the living room. The problem with that is fan noise; so it should be fanless and it probably will be a tablet PC.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 24, 2010 17:32

kleermaker
I mostly listen to music through earphones connected to the PC when working at it. No jokes please.

Same for me and I don't want to bother my family with the music I like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-24 18:04 by NICOS.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 24, 2010 17:41

I mainly listen to music through my i-Pod - either on the train to work or like now, whilst surfing the net. I have a hi-fi which probably only gets used every-other-day.

Date: October 24, 2010 18:01

Of course I only play vinyl through my record player. Rega Planar 3.
All music going through ProAc Signature 8´s. Pumped by Creek Audio
amp. I was wondering about sound card quality.
Are they the same as all PC´s? PC - Line Out - Amp - Line In

Foobar 2000 used for playing Flac.

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: October 24, 2010 18:15

jagger50
I was wondering about sound card quality.
Are they the same as all PC´s? PC - Line Out - Amp - Line In

There's much debate about that. Some quality difference can be measured with the RMAA software test, but it is probably a matter of taste as well. B.t.w., any PC with audio out has some sort of sound card, but it can be builtin so you don't notice.

I will probably use a USB solution, like the E-MU 404, which has had decent reviews and user comments.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 24, 2010 18:25

I have an iPod, but haven't made any changes to the tracks that are loaded on it in five years. It serves as a hotel room jukebox for my wife and me.

Otherwise, I listen to music the old-fashioned way: vinyl and CDs. Nothing beats a good piece of vinyl, and there was never a more perfect listening unit than the LP side.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: October 24, 2010 20:03

Alone or at a show....at home.....people always talk through the best bitt...esspecialy girls...what a shame...so in those situations...i play hard blues.....you is able yo hear the fuc lyrics

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: October 25, 2010 05:29

I feel like a dinosaur. Surround Sound, Receiver, CD Player & sub-woofer. I listen on the computer & ipod, but serious listening is on my stereo equipment. If cds go away, we will all be stuck listening to mp3sssssssssss

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: October 25, 2010 12:37

Vinyl and burned cds. Sometimes tapes because I can't put my vinyl on cd

Date: October 25, 2010 16:18

With my ears mostly!

Date: October 25, 2010 16:57

mikeeder
Vinyl and burned cds. Sometimes tapes because I can't put my vinyl on cd

You can burn vinyl to cd. You just need your pc and stereo system.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: October 25, 2010 17:13

I listen music only from stereos.To me it must sound natural,like band is in the same room as i am.I´m not satisfied if i don´t get that sound,was it official release or a bootleg.And i´m VERY demanding when it comes to music equipments.

this is what i have

Bang&olufsen TV sound system.this is a heart of the system.it contains,tv,active speaker,and dolby digital sound system,i only use digital for movies alone.

Beolab 2:active sub woofer,850 watts,only for movies,sometimes on cd´s.not bootlegs.

front speakers:Beolab 1 active speakers these have 3 ampfliers build inside,one for bass,one for diskant,one for treble.500 wats,cooling system top of the speakers,just in case i listen too loud constantly,a long time,never did this,my ears would probaply bleed.

rear speakers:Beolab 6000 active speakers,only for movies.

Cd&Dvd player:Beocenter 2,this plays cd´s and dvd´s.

for my remastering sectiontongue sticking out smileyhilipps dvd burner,plays cd´s naturally,nakamichi tapedeck,harman&kardon 20 channel equalizer,sony standalone burner

heres a link on rock off of my living room

[rocksoff.org]

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: October 25, 2010 17:27

Mostly in the car when I'm stuck in traffic
or when jogging.

No time to listen to music at the office or at home.

Posted by: R ()
Date: October 25, 2010 17:30

guitarbastard
real music lovers burn cds and buy vinyl!

NOTHING ever sounded better than vinyl!

Here! Here!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 25, 2010 18:55

cd's on the stero thru the big speakers (15in woofers)and mid range horns and tweeter's and it really sounds good.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: October 25, 2010 19:15

For me, it's important not to have the hum of the computer disturb the music, so I use a home stereo. Mp3s are too compressed to sound good anyway.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 25, 2010 19:46

Always interesting to compare what people say in threads like this one, with what people say in threads where the audio quality of music is discussed (vinyl vs. CD, CD vs. mp3, loudness war etc.).

It seems that only a small minority listens to music in conditions that allow to judge its quality.

I also find it surprising that many of us spend huge amounts of money in buying music (or time in downloading it), and does not have decent equipment to enjoy it. I am not talking about audiophile stuf that IS over-expensive, but there are great solutions that are more affordable.

C

Date: October 25, 2010 20:06

jagger50

Foobar 2000 used for playing Flac.

I use mostly VLC mediaplayer. Also for watching video (boots) on the PC.

The sound through my new PC with earphones is (almost) as good as the sound through my amp with earphones.

My stereo 'system' is just a good amp (bought a couple of years ago) and two still great Philips speakers, both 35 years old. Of course also a CD-player and a vinyl-player (the latter also 35 years old, a Thorens).

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 25, 2010 20:17

Kleermaker I also have still my old Thorens turntable

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 25, 2010 20:19

marko
I listen music only from stereos.To me it must sound natural,like band is in the same room as i am.I´m not satisfied if i don´t get that sound,was it official release or a bootleg.And i´m VERY demanding when it comes to music equipments.

this is what i have

Bang&olufsen TV sound system.this is a heart of the system.it contains,tv,active speaker,and dolby digital sound system,i only use digital for movies alone.

Beolab 2:active sub woofer,850 watts,only for movies,sometimes on cd´s.not bootlegs.

front speakers:Beolab 1 active speakers these have 3 ampfliers build inside,one for bass,one for diskant,one for treble.500 wats,cooling system top of the speakers,just in case i listen too loud constantly,a long time,never did this,my ears would probaply bleed.

for my remastering sectiontongue sticking out smileyhilipps dvd burner,plays cd´s naturally,nakamichi tapedeck,harman&kardon 20 channel equalizer,sony standalone burner

[rocksoff.org]

Cool, man! You don't mind if I pay you visit some time to listen some Stones, äijä?

- Doxa

Posted by: marko ()
Date: October 25, 2010 20:28

why the hel not,,,i live close to manse!smileys with beer

Date: October 25, 2010 20:28

NICOS
Kleermaker I also have still my old Thorens turntable

[www.iorr.org]

thumbs up Exactly the same as mine, also TD 165, from 1975.

Date: October 25, 2010 20:35

Doxa
marko

this is what i have

[rocksoff.org]

Cool, man! You don't mind if I pay you visit some time to listen some Stones, äijä?

- Doxa

Great pics of your living room, Marko. Have a nice Stones time with Doxa smileys with beer.

Btw: I miss a pic of Taylor. Take one with you Doxa when you'll visit Markowinking smiley.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: October 25, 2010 22:56

I use a Phillips cassette player from the late 1960s. It works especially well for songs like JJF and SFM.

Posted by: copsnrobbers ()
Date: October 25, 2010 23:09

I'm living the lyrics

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: November 18, 2010 15:34

It's funny, back when I started listening to music I had a cheap mono turntable with built in speaker, then I had a stereo, then a music centre, then separates. I always wanted better quality hi-fi and tried to move up every time. I never really got there but I did have half decent amp, CD and speakers and then I started going backwards. What changed? Well I think it was combination of home entertainment (from cd to DVD, amp to receiver and floorstanders to Kef eggs) and digital music (I love the idea that I can carry 100s of CDs in my pocket).

Have I lost out? In terms of quality definitely yes but I'm in my 50s, the hearings not what it was (and i think I may have tinnitus) and I listen to most of my music while travelling either on trains or in the car, In both cases I use my Ipod. I could make some steps like recording in Apple lossless and using expensive Bose headphones and I'm sure I'd notice a difference, but how much?

I'm certainly not disagreeing with you audiophiles, quality must be encouraged, but for my lifestyle investing in that quality can't be justified.

It might also be worth noting that listening to my Ipod with 320kbps MP3s and not bad head phones I get way better quality than I used to get back in the 70s and 80s. I still test players and headphones by playing Brown Sugar because I don't think it was until I bought SF on CD that I noticed the acoustic guitars!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1647
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home