Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Too Many Audio Files, Im Sick Of It.
Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: January 28, 2012 23:56

Downloaded some Paul Collier music, it in ACC, So I have to convert it to play on my ipod. Flossy, Lossless, Flac, ACC, Mov, Mp3, when will it end.

Re: Too Many Audio Files, Im Sick Of It.
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 28, 2012 23:57

Just do like me and buy CDs. smiling smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 29, 2012 00:28

For those who are interested , here is the deal with digital audio and how it related to our ears:

Two important variables

1. Sample Frequency (CD's are 44.1kHz, 192Khz is generally the max)

This determines the amount of (range of) frequencies that can be reproduced. Our ear hears most frequencies between say 20 Hz and 20 kHz. CD's sampled at 44.1Khz CAN NOT reproduce this, our ear hears more so something is lost!

Use 96Khz or more if you want to hear everything in the original analog music that our ears are capable of hearing.

2. Sample bit size (Cd's are 16-bit , 24-bit is min for high fidelity)

This determines the dynamic range that can be reproduced. The difference between the LOUDEST and the softest sounds. Once again our ears are capable of hearing a greater difference than can be reproduced by 16 bit samples.

Use 24-bit if you want to hear everything in the original recording or analog music.

IT is amazing that we allowed CD's to prolifereate for so long , KNOWING that digitizing music at 16 bit, 44.1Khz was NOT reproducing all the musical information that our ears could hear.

-----------------------------
16bit , 44.1Khz means that 44,100 times per second , 16 ones and zeros are created to represent that second of music.
------------------------------
At 24bit, 96Khz , 24 1's and 0's are created 96,000 times per second. That alot of data and often results in music files over 100MB in size. That is the problem and the reason lower quality codecs like .mp3 were so popular, to reduce the song file size. In the case of mp3's it was to be small enough to tack onto an mpeg video as the audio portion of the video.
-------------------------------

peace

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: January 29, 2012 00:55

Naturalust
Our ear hears most frequencies between say 20 Hz and 20 kHz. CD's sampled at 44.1Khz CAN NOT reproduce this, our ear hears more so something is lost!

Wrong. See: [en.wikipedia.org]

If you hear 20 kHz a sampling rate of 40 kHz is enough to reproduce the original signal.
And, it's kHz, not Khz!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-29 00:59 by midnrambler.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 29, 2012 00:59

How does excess cerumen affect our ability to hear kHz ?

Date: January 29, 2012 01:00

midnrambler
Naturalust
Our ear hears most frequencies between say 20 Hz and 20 kHz. CD's sampled at 44.1Khz CAN NOT reproduce this, our ear hears more so something is lost!

If you hear 20 kHz a sampling rate of 40 kHz is enough to reproduce the original signal.

OK rambler, you do the math for us then... use 10 HZ to 22Khz as the human range this time. I was just simplifying for the benefit of the majority of readers here. peace

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 29, 2012 01:05

Edith Grove
How does excess cerumen affect our ability to hear kHz ?

Wasn't this discussed already? Do you have wax in your ears??

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: January 29, 2012 01:07

Naturalust
midnrambler
Naturalust

OK rambler, you do the math for us then... use 10 HZ to 22Khz as the human range this time. I was just simplifying for the benefit of the majority of readers here. peace

Old fans like me do not hear more than 10 kHz! grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley

Date: January 29, 2012 01:19

midnrambler
Naturalust
midnrambler
Naturalust

OK rambler, you do the math for us then... use 10 HZ to 22Khz as the human range this time. I was just simplifying for the benefit of the majority of readers here, should have been more accurate, thx. peace

Old fans like me do not hear more than 10 kHz! grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley

I counter that you'd probably hear 10Hz just fine or at least FEEL it if it were loud enough. It's the high end where most people fall off around 15kHz as I understand it.

My hearing has been tested and I have a loss in the left ear only (my guitar amplifier side) at around 1Khz. Too much "Can't you hear me Knockin?" at 10 will answer the question for you it seems. lol peace

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 29, 2012 01:50

Edith Grove
Just do like me and buy CDs. smiling smiley

that's soooo 20th century....

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 29, 2012 02:10

I'm thinking that with the amount of stupidly loud shows and clubs I've been to over the last 30 years....could I even tell?

Naturalust, you have the math right, but I dont think my ears are right anymore...

by the way...check out the new Blitzen Trapper CD "American Goldwing".
Absolutely 16 bit fantastic and they are coming to Austin in March!

Date: January 29, 2012 02:34

Thanks for the recommendation brother! I will check it out in all it's 16 bit glory. peace

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1879
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home