Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O.T.-Tom Petty and The HB's
Posted by: jeff14 ()
Date: August 29, 2010 14:06

I just recently saw Tom Petty and while the set list was lacking the show itself was solid. Mike Campbell has been put to the front on this tour and his guitar playing was right there. There was a great little MOJO block in the middle and nice covers of Carol and Oh Well. Tom unfortunatly has to play the fav's, American Girl, Breakdown,Free Fallin'(which is my bathroom song),Runnin Down a Dream or the crowd will go home grumbling. The show was 2:15 and while only 18 songs, Tom still moves around the stage pretty well after having his knees replaced a few years back. Not horrible, not great, just solid.

Re: O.T.-Tom Petty and The HB's
Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: August 29, 2010 15:32

I saw TP/Heartbreakers last month @ MSG...Mike Cambell was SMOKINNN, how bout the song that sounded like a Zep outake..IMO Campbell was the show and worth going to see
RB

Date: August 29, 2010 18:05

i really don't think tom petty has a bad album but i get sick of the setlist being about the same every tour. you said its 18 songs which my guess is 5 new tunes, 2 cover tunes, 9 hits from the 70's-early 90's, 1 lesser played track and 1 smaller hit which is rotated between the same 3 smaller hits. on top of that 1 cover always seems to be the same now

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: August 29, 2010 19:47

i saw the setlist, and i had the same feeling. setlists are always the same, i found it disappointing. anyway, i won't see him live because he is not coming to europe, for what o know

Date: August 29, 2010 20:15

I love the new album, Mojo - some real rockers on this one, one of the best I have heard from TP IMO.
Does anyone know of any websites to download TP audio or video shows from this tour?

Date: August 29, 2010 21:25

www.dimeadozen.org
both shows from philly, july 31st and august 1st

Date: August 29, 2010 21:29

andrea66
i saw the setlist, and i had the same feeling. setlists are always the same, i found it disappointing. anyway, i won't see him live because he is not coming to europe, for what o know

are you talking about petty's setlists are always the same or bands in general?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 29, 2010 22:33

likearollingstone
I love the new album, Mojo - some real rockers on this one, one of the best I have heard from TP IMO.
Does anyone know of any websites to download TP audio or video shows from this tour?

good album, but the live act doesn't work in an arena setting...still worth catching in smaller venues...

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: August 29, 2010 22:44

has anybody bought the Live Anthology,if so is it worth getting or just an indulgence.

Date: August 29, 2010 23:02

adotulipson
has anybody bought the Live Anthology,if so is it worth getting or just an indulgence.

yes its worth getting because its 4 live discs for only $20 at most stores or best buy has a super deluxe version with tons of extra stuff. a few very small complaints about it though. each disc is not 70-75 minutes long. there probably is enough space left on the 4 discs for another hour of music and they had more stuff so why not fill up the space. also it has very little from 1994-2007 in terms of newer material. its a lot of cover tunes and pre 1994 tunes that they picked from. so yes a lot of tunes recorded from 1994-2007 appear on the set but its older tunes and covers for the most part

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 29, 2010 23:08

Yeah I love Petty. Seen him many times. But like others have said. His setlists are really stale. He has so much material. I guess everybody wants to hear the hits. But he used to play some smaller venues once in a while and play some different stuff.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-29 23:14 by sweetcharmedlife.

Date: August 29, 2010 23:14

keefriffhard4life
adotulipson

yes its worth getting because its 4 live discs for only $20 at most stores or best buy has a super deluxe version with tons of extra stuff. a few very small complaints about it though. each disc is not 70-75 minutes long. there probably is enough space left on the 4 discs for another hour of music and they had more stuff so why not fill up the space. also it has very little from 1994-2007 in terms of newer material. its a lot of cover tunes and pre 1994 tunes that they picked from. so yes a lot of tunes recorded from 1994-2007 appear on the set but its older tunes and covers for the most part

Thanks for the info.
I quite fancy the special edition, it's not a store exclusive here in the UK ,it has 5 cd's 2dvd's plus a vinyl and a blu ray with all 5 dvds on if I recall it's a bit expensive though at 80pounds, it could of course come down in price but I've no idea when, or indeed what a good price would be.

Date: August 30, 2010 00:14

keefriffhard4life
andrea66

I was talking about this tom petty's tour. very few setlist changes. mojo is a great album but he is doing always the same 4-5 songs. many albums are totally forgotten,but of course, the hearbreakers are one of the greatest bands ever

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: August 30, 2010 00:37

Mike Campbell is a gifted guitarist/songwriter and has helped define TP's sound. Very underrated and almost never mentioned when guitar players are discussed.

Date: August 30, 2010 01:02

andrea66
keefriffhard4life
andrea66

I was talking about this tom petty's tour. very few setlist changes. mojo is a great album but he is doing always the same 4-5 songs. many albums are totally forgotten,but of course, the hearbreakers are one of the greatest bands ever

yeah anything from 1996-2009 is ignored. only mojo and stuff up until wildflowers gets played

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: August 30, 2010 02:35

keefriffhard4life
andrea66
keefriffhard4life
andrea66

yeah anything from 1996-2009 is ignored. only mojo and stuff up until wildflowers gets played

Not unlike the Stones. Pretty much anything after Voodoo Lounge - and only one song from that still gets played - is forgotten about in favor of the old hits.

I saw Petty 2 weeks ago in Nashville. Good show, fine new album, but I agree the setlist was a little boring. But they're all great songs, so it's hard to argue with it.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 30, 2010 03:36

The Deluxe Anthology set is stunning, a work of art. And the music is fantastic. Yeah, his set lists seem pretty static, which is ashame. However, when he does his long residencies, like at the Fillmore, he pulls out a lot of nuggets.
MOJO is fantastic! One of his best!

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: August 30, 2010 03:53

Another thing bout the Heartbreakers is the incredible String candy on stage, show opens with TP playing a white vox teardrop ala BJ while Campbell is swinging on a red doubleneck, how iconic..every song has a different guitar, strats,tele's gretchs, 335's firebirds, LP's including yes a real 59LP..incredible array and they didnt pull out alot of stuff Ive seen them play previously.
RB

Date: August 30, 2010 04:16

I've seen Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers twice : June 11th,2008 in Hartford and last week - August 21st,2010 in Massachusetts.

Observations :

1) They played well. Refugee was better in 2010 than it was in 2008. The opposite was true for Runnin' Down a Dream.

2) The shows could have been a few songs longer,especially the 2010 show considering the higher cost of admission.

3) Three cover songs in an 18 song set is too many covers at this point in their career. Two would have been plenty,one would have been even more reasonable.

4) Horrible lack of variation in the set list between the two shows from 2 different tours. The only noticable differences = The first show included "You Wreck Me" ; "Even The Losers" ; "Saving Grace"; and "A Face in the Crowd". The second show included "Listen to Her Heart";three covers and four new tracks from the Mojo album.

This really gets me - the last six songs of the two respective concerts were as follows :

2008 = "Learning to Fly" / "Don't Come Around Here No More" / "Refugee" / "Runnin' Down a Dream" / (cover) / "American Girl"

2010 = "Learning to Fly" / "Don't Come Around Here No More" / "Refugee" / "Runnin' Down a Dream" / (cover) / "American Girl"

The same exact songs (except the cover song was different) - even in the same exact order. Where are hits like " The Waiting " ; " Here Comes My Girl " ; and " You Got Lucky " ( just to name a few ) ????

Date: August 30, 2010 04:42

i agree 3 covers is way too many for being around almost 40 years

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: August 30, 2010 07:08

mojo for me is the best new album of the yr so far

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 30, 2010 07:49

Bring back the Waiting and especially Girl on LSD!!!

"

?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-30 08:00 by BluzDude.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 30, 2010 19:59

BluzDude
Bring back the Waiting and especially Girl on LSD!!!

"

?
Yeah,but what's that got to do with the setlist?winking smiley

Date: January 28, 2012 20:02

adotulipson
keefriffhard4life
adotulipson

Thanks for the info.
I quite fancy the special edition, it's not a store exclusive here in the UK ,it has 5 cd's 2dvd's plus a vinyl and a blu ray with all 5 dvds on if I recall it's a bit expensive though at 80pounds, it could of course come down in price but I've no idea when, or indeed what a good price would be.

[www.amazon.com]

Just ordered this as it has come down in price to a more acceptable price

Date: January 28, 2012 20:53

adotulipson
adotulipson
keefriffhard4life
adotulipson

Thanks for the info.

[www.amazon.com]

Just ordered this as it has come down in price to a more acceptable price

cool

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1639
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home