Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
o
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 6, 2010 00:56

Pictured above is the top of The Rolling Stones' Youtube channel. Notice anything wrong?
It isn't punctuated properly. It should read "TheRollingStones' Channel."

EDIT:
Thank God... this person realized the problem a few posts down.

ThankGod
dear oh dear people..........this has nothing to do with the stones

youtube puts 's after EVERY channel..........

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-08 15:18 by schillid.

Re: Plural Possessive
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 6, 2010 01:00

RS.com hard at work again!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 6, 2010 01:01

Spelling counts. I am amazed at the poor spelling grammar on this board, and that's from the native English speakers! "Your" when people mean "you're", "there" when "their" is meant. Putting up bad spelling in a public forum is like going out in public with your hair uncombed and your shirt on inside out. It's just bad manners.

There, thank you for letting me get that off my chest!

Date: June 6, 2010 01:06

71Tele
Spelling counts. I am amazed at the poor spelling grammar on this board, and that's from the native English speakers! "Your" when people mean "you're", "there" when "their" is meant. Putting up bad spelling in a public forum is like going out in public with your hair uncombed and your shirt on inside out. It's just bad manners.

Well, on a forum like this one... there's lots of people for whom English isn't their native language. So it's to be expected that there might be spelling and punctuation mistakes on this forum. Or even quick emails and text messages from English-native folks... it's easy to ignore misspellings and shortcut-typos (like "2nite" for "tonight", etc.)

But it shouldn't happen on such a publicly visible website.

Date: June 6, 2010 01:08

schillid
71Tele

Well, on a forum like this one... there's lots of people for whom English isn't their native language. So it's to be expected that there might be spelling and punctuation mistakes on this forum. Or even quick emails and text messages from English-native folks... it's easy to ignore misspellings and shortcut-typos (like "2nite" for "tonight", etc.)

Yes, that's why I said "the native English speakers". The people for whom English is not the first language often have better grammar and spelling than some of us Yanks and Brits. (I won't pick on the Australians!) And typos and abbreviations are different (I am guilty of plenty of typos). I was talking about basic sixth-grade stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-06 01:10 by 71Tele.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 6, 2010 01:13

schillid

Pictured above is the top of The Rolling Stones' Youtube channel. Notice anything wrong?

Tele, the owner of this channel is 20 years old, so you can expect some spelling mistakes.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 6, 2010 01:13

schillid
71Tele

You should never start a sentence with 'But'. It's poor grammar.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: June 6, 2010 01:19

Actually, in English it is perfectly acceptable to say "Stones's" but it's also correct and more common to say "Stones'"

(c) TrainSpotter Language Services

Date: June 6, 2010 01:23

Ever hear anyone say "I be"?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 6, 2010 01:23

----

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-06 01:24 by ryanpow.

Posted by: msw2525 ()
Date: June 6, 2010 01:26

ma and pa never were much for that fancy book learnin

Date: June 6, 2010 01:28

Did you know that, technically, a preposition is a kind of word that you should never end a sentence with.

Date: June 6, 2010 01:29

Schillid ?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 6, 2010 01:32

Gazza

And you never start a sentence with 'and' either!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-06 01:51 by Deltics.

Posted by: ThankGod ()
Date: June 6, 2010 01:35

Date: June 6, 2010 01:43

kleermaker
schillid

Tele, the owner of this channel is 20 years old, so you can expect some spelling mistakes.

I wasn't commenting on the channel. But are you trying to say that one shouldn't be expected to be able to spell at 20?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 6, 2010 01:51

Gazza
schillid
71Tele

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Maybe he is a "butthead"....

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: June 6, 2010 02:06

Ok then, I've re-named a song - 'Give me Shelter' Doesn't quite work does it?

Do we relly give @#$%& about poor grammar on here - it is a Stones forum after all !

Date: June 6, 2010 02:23

crumbling_mice
Ok then, I've re-named a song - 'Give me Shelter' Doesn't quite work does it?

Do we relly give @#$%& about poor grammar on here - it is a Stones forum after all !

No I guess not...I will just have to accept it as part of the decline of civilization. winking smiley

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: June 6, 2010 02:36

71Tele

I agree. I once said something critical on here that a couple of people didn't like, and as retribution they insulted the spelling in my post. They said something about me not even being able to spell. Funnily enough, when I looked over what I had written, I honestly couldn't see any mistakes. Nonetheless, ever since I have been anal about being spelling and grammar. I use Firefox which has an automatic spellchecker, so at least I don't misspell very many words. As far as sentence structure and other mechanics go, I know I'm not perfect, but I ain't taking a remedial class just for this.

I'm also surprised by all the misspellings, bad punctuation, and sloppiness in general there is on the web these days. I think a lot of it is just simple typos, which is understandable in a forum like this, where a lot of times people are in a hurry, but not in some of the more "professional" things I read.

Your right though Tele, some of the native English on here are downright infuriating at times. I'm don't expect perfection by any means, but a lot of times you can't even read between the mistakes to understand what they're (caught it, this time!), getting at.

Date: June 6, 2010 03:46

ThankGod

THAT'S IT !
Of course... that makes much more sense than 3rd graders's mistakes!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 6, 2010 03:52

71Tele

If that's what you like to do cool, but its not like this is a college essay class. I try to get in what I can while eating a burrito at lunch, I only have time for so much proofreading and so many re-visions. appparently 3 for this post.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-06 05:29 by ryanpow.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 6, 2010 04:09

We need a fuc*ing tour....Is that proper english,spelling and grammar?

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-06 04:09 by sweetcharmedlife.

Date: June 6, 2010 05:00

Should it be "I Can't Get ANY Satisfaction" ?

Date: June 6, 2010 05:53

bustedtrousers
71Tele

I agree. I once said something critical on here that a couple of people didn't like, and as retribution they insulted the spelling in my post. They said something about me not even being able to spell. Funnily enough, when I looked over what I had written, I honestly couldn't see any mistakes. Nonetheless, ever since I have been anal about being spelling and grammar. I use Firefox which has an automatic spellchecker, so at least I don't misspell very many words. As far as sentence structure and other mechanics go, I know I'm not perfect, but I ain't taking a remedial class just for this.

I'm also surprised by all the misspellings, bad punctuation, and sloppiness in general there is on the web these days. I think a lot of it is just simple typos, which is understandable in a forum like this, where a lot of times people are in a hurry, but not in some of the more "professional" things I read.

Your right though Tele, some of the native English on here are downright infuriating at times. I'm don't expect perfection by any means, but a lot of times you can't even read between the mistakes to understand what they're (caught it, this time!), getting at.

Thanks! I know I've been getting crap about this ("I Can't get Any Satisfaction", etc.). That's fine. Hey, I'm not talking super-sophisticated technical stuff here, I am talking about the equivalent of putting up a sign in your store that says "Record's For Sale". Not talking about taking the FUN out of things (though admittedly I can sound that way), just about some basic stuff so that we don't sound like dummies. Much of it is laziness, quite frankly. I do think we should be able to converse in something like basic junior high school level English. Hey I didn't even go to college, so I am not trying to impose some stupid holier-than-thou standard, but some of the things I see on the web are horrendous. We all use shorthand on the web and especially in an e-mail, but we don't have to write like ten year-olds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-06 05:56 by 71Tele.

Date: June 6, 2010 05:55

sweetcharmedlife

But do we really need a fuc*ing tour?

Date: June 6, 2010 06:01

71Tele

Yes, we fuc*ing do!

Date: June 6, 2010 06:05

Edith Grove
71Tele

Yes, we fuc*ing do!

O fuc*ing K! smoking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-06 06:06 by 71Tele.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 6, 2010 06:11

71Tele
sweetcharmedlife

No we don't. Let's just continue to slowly, methodicly, pick apart all previous postive aspects of a band we supposedly all loved at one point....That's much better.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: June 6, 2010 08:37

sweetcharmedlife
71Tele
sweetcharmedlife

No we don't. Let's just continue to slowly, methodicly, pick apart all previous postive aspects of a band we supposedly all loved at one point....That's much better.

I still love 'em. Exile reissue is great. Prefer more of that to a tour with current state of the band, that's all.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home