Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
1972 Live Album
Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: October 17, 2010 23:10

Wonder why the stones haven't taken the opportunity to release 'the unreleased live album'? Are there any legal restrictions (klein) to stop it? Now would be the perfect time with L&G and Exile.

Re: 1972 Live Album
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 17, 2010 23:44

They probably feel that's enough with the Exile period. I suspect we won't see any 'old' product until after the anticipated tour and possible new album.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 17, 2010 23:53

24FPS
They probably feel that's enough with the Exile period. I suspect we won't see any 'old' product until after the anticipated tour and possible new album.

I think it's the other way around as far as musical quality is concerned,

Posted by: marko ()
Date: October 17, 2010 23:56

I think,they should release for a new tour some girls special and the new cd with it.Enough of 72 for the moment.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 17, 2010 23:58

I think it's the other way around as far as musical quality is concerned. - Amsterdammed.

Well, we don't know yet about the quality of an album that has yet to be recorded. It's probable that we won't see reviews like 'Better than Exile', but I won't count the old boys out. They may want to go out on a good note, like Abbey Road, but I doubt it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 18, 2010 02:29

I think this, and other 'archive' live albums will come out eventually - although I wouldnt hold my breath waiting for it

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: October 18, 2010 02:50

Gazza
I think this, and other 'archive' live albums will come out eventually - although I wouldnt hold my breath waiting for it

I keep wishing they would release a 'live at the BBC' multi disc set - just about every other major English band from the 60s & 70s has. (I know that stuff's been bootlegged a lot though, maybe that's why they haven't yet).

The Stones have been very slow to open up their vaults, but at least they started to let some stuff out. I guess the first thing was Rock 'n' Roll Circus, this year we've had Exile outtakes and Ladies and Gentlemen...

Maybe they will do some huge marketing blitz and release a lot more vintage stuff for their 50th anniversary....I sure hope so, at least.

The 72 live unreleased album is killer...one of my very favorite bootlegs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-18 02:52 by Keefan.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: October 18, 2010 02:51

Yeah some live shows from 'the vault' would be very, very welcomed by us, but God knows when that will happen.

I am still surprised -- and absolutely delighted --that the new Exile and L&G were released.

If Mick is reading this keep the Mayan 2012 calender in mind and make some money this Holiday Season and give us some historic live shows, tours.

Posted by: melvin ()
Date: October 18, 2010 02:51

Great question. Why not put out a live cd from the 72-73 tour to compliment the DVD.
Also, I would love to see a cd/dvd set for the 1999 No security tour.

Date: October 18, 2010 02:53

The final NS shows in San Jose were filmed for an official video release but for some reason weren't used.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: October 18, 2010 03:43

An NS tour release would be great! I love the video of the Stones which was shown just before they came on stage. It showed them walking down dark industrial, factory like hallways, getting on industrial elevators, all the while scowling and moving like they were outlaws in a western heading to an impending gunfight. It was brilliant!

I also love that they played Some Girls live and played it well. Those lyrics are so fantastic live. Moonlight Mile was quite s a surprise as well.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 18, 2010 03:50

There is this one indeed AND what would have been the 1974 half live 1973 tour half studio recording covers that instead became IORR as well.

That's all I've ever been aware of as far as potentially unreleased albums other than the so called Memory Hotel that would have been Voodoo and Bridges leftovers.

Date: October 18, 2010 04:01

deadegad
An NS tour release would be great! I love the video of the Stones which was shown just before they came on stage. It showed them walking down dark industrial, factory like hallways, getting on industrial elevators, all the while scowling and moving like they were outlaws in a western heading to an impending gunfight. It was brilliant!

I also love that they played Some Girls live and played it well. Those lyrics are so fantastic live. Moonlight Mile was quite s a surprise as well.

Well, the vaults are opening for sure - the last year or so has shown evidence of that - both in terms of audio and video releases.

However, 1999 is well down the pecking order in terms of being an era that's iconic and marketable.

Date: October 18, 2010 04:12

Keefan
Gazza

I keep wishing they would release a 'live at the BBC' multi disc set - just about every other major English band from the 60s & 70s has. (I know that stuff's been bootlegged a lot though, maybe that's why they haven't yet).

Didnt stop the Beatles. There are about 10 discs of Beatles BBC sessions in circulation (there was even a 10-part radio series on BBC about 20 years ago) and they still put out a 2-CD selection of sessions. There's also a lot more Bowie sessions on bootlegs than what was released on 'Bowie at the Beeb'.

The circulating Stones' BBC sessions dont represent all the sessions from 1963-65 that were recorded. There are still a few songs and sessions that haven't leaked. Whether they're still in the BBC vaults (especially when you consider the BBC's policy down the years regarding erasing old tapes) is another matter. I can only hope they've been more careful with their radio archives that featured the Stones than they were with their TV footage.

There was a rumour about a BBC release about 10-12 years ago but nothing came of it. Can't imagine the BBC standing in the way of such a release, and relations with ABKCO are certainly a lot easier now than they were back then (its also now less complicated with ABKCO now being distributed by Universal - although I believe this doesn't apply in the US).

I think it's a near cert to happen eventually. Having released Rock n Roll Circus and the expanded Ya Yas in recent years, I would imagine that if ABKCO wanted to liase with the Stones/UMG to put out another archive release from the 60s, this would be the most obvious choice. It would also certainly make the most sense financially from their perspective. Whether the Stones would see it that way is maybe a stumbling block (in addition to the ongoing issues with ABKCO publishing rights over Jagger-Richards compositions, a lot of the songs are covers, so there's maybe not as many royalties for the Stones as they'd like to get!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-18 04:14 by Gazza.

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: October 18, 2010 04:15

deadegad

I liked that intro too - My version of that would be for that same video to show with the theme to 'The Good The Bad And The Ugly' playing as they sauntered thru that!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 18, 2010 05:27

I would have loved all these reissues in the eighties or the nineties. Now, the thrill is gone. It´s too little too late. Were all getting old, time waits for no one... .

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 18, 2010 13:08

Stoneage
I would have loved all these reissues in the eighties or the nineties. Now, the thrill is gone. It´s too little too late. Were all getting old, time waits for no one... .

Yep, exactly. I am quickly approaching the age of 60 and yes, the thrill is gone somehow. Expanded Ya-Yas, expanded Exile (which does not even have Exile On Main Street Blues on it!) ... all very nice, but much too late.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 18, 2010 13:53

Time waits for no one, but wait till it's right!

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: October 18, 2010 14:00

alimente
Stoneage

Yep, exactly. I am quickly approaching the age of 60 and yes, the thrill is gone somehow. Expanded Ya-Yas, expanded Exile (which does not even have Exile On Main Street Blues on it!) ... all very nice, but much too late.

totally agree also.
Think they would have had more sales in the 90's also.
But once again too little too late....

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 18, 2010 14:06

The thrill is gone somehow........... all very nice, but much too late.

Thanks for clarification.............think I have the same problem

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 18, 2010 14:59

Stoneage

This was exactly what I felt when watching L&G in the cinema. It was nice, but frankly 10 or 15 years too late.

And didn't Jagger state that he would consider releasing more from the vaults if the sales of Exile where good? How good or bad where sales actually?

Mathijs

Date: October 18, 2010 15:07

I think it's safe to say they exceeded expectations.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 18, 2010 15:22

Gazza
I think it's safe to say they exceeded expectations.

Sales you mean? In Holland it didn't sell particularly well I thought.

Mathijs

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: October 18, 2010 15:54

I'm nowhere near 60 and would love to see some these unreleased live albums finally get a release! L&G is No 1 in Amazon UK's blu-ray music chart so that should tell Grandad and his friends that it would probably be viable to release More Old Stuff(c).

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 18, 2010 16:24

I agree that the "open the vaults" thing not only is out of time, but also that what ever comes out, will never meet the expectations of those who want the vaults to be opened.

I just don't believe that there is "THAT" much stuff that has not yet ciculated as a boot (and I don't believe that this uncirculated stuff includes a new JJF).

When I read Was' statements before the release of Exile the first thing i thought was "does he have a clue of what is already circulating?"

Fans already have, or easily can have, everything for free. Why should they be excited for a rehash of the same stuff they aleready have? Better quality? Well, that is a point, but this is something that only a very small fraction of the fans appreciate (and fans are a very small fraction of the market).

Besides, the rest of the world will not change their opinion on the stones based on any new unreleasd material may come out of the vaults. What made Exile sell, was not the expectation for the new tracks but the quite massive publicity that was made to the re-release.

How many new fans did Plundered gain?

How many new fans will the blue ray re release of L&G gain?

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-18 16:25 by liddas.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: October 18, 2010 16:27

well,didn´t they film most of the 1981 shows,where the sbd cd´s came from?
Those mono recordings,and my understanding is that,they were taken from uncirculated concert footages.

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: October 18, 2010 17:02

It just seems strange to me that they REALLY wanted to release a live album from the 72 tour but couldn't because of legal reasons. Now would have been the time to release the album. A live album with the same sound quality of led zep's How The West Was Won would amazing and would piss all over the boots we have.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: October 18, 2010 17:45

Father Ted
I'm nowhere near 60 and would love to see some these unreleased live albums finally get a release! L&G is No 1 in Amazon UK's blu-ray music chart so that should tell Grandad and his friends that it would probably be viable to release More Old Stuff(c).

Since i'm close to my 60's i'll expect the unreleased 72 live album to be released on 8-track, cassette or a nice betamax/vhs release of L&G!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 18, 2010 18:32

alimente
Stoneage

absolutely. they've completely missed the boat on the archives. the audience is literally dying off. dylan fans, as an example, have had fabulous archive material to enjoy for over 20 years....bob instinctively understood the demographics of the interested buying public, i think....mick just doesn't "get it."

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: October 18, 2010 18:37

Gazza
The final NS shows in San Jose were filmed for an official video release but for some reason weren't used.

I was at the last of those shows and said afterward it would never be released. Thus far it hasn't. I do not think it was a good show. A lot of strained effort on stage but the whole performance felt flat to me. At one point Jagger even prompted the audience by reminding them it was being filmed. Cheesy. The audience was responsive, though.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1596
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home