Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T...ish Taylor on Tubular Bells
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 24, 2011 01:09

Came across this clip with Mick Taylor playing...along with other notables such as Steve Hillage. I still listen to Tubular Bells to this day, but had never realised that Taylor ever played on the various live playings of this. Looks as though it was filmed around the early 70's and Taylor plays his bit, as you would expect beautifully. For those who don't really like the whole Tubular Bells thing, Taylor comes in at 3.20 - apologies if this has been posted before.

Re: O/T...ish Taylor on Tubular Bells
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 24, 2011 01:13

This is great. I saw it on TV in those days, but never seen it again. Thanks for posting

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: December 24, 2011 07:38

Even if it was posted before, many of us did not know of this. I always liked that tune. Thanks. Theme to the Exorcist if I am correct and had that album cover too that defies explanation a bit. Great, Halloween Music right before Christmas! smiling smiley Just kidding.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 24, 2011 07:49

I'd read that Taylor played on it live in Richard Branson's autobiography, but never heard Taylor's playing it until now. Thanks for posting.

Branson wrote that Michael Oldfield agreed to play it live—with Taylor—in front of an audience, and then after everything was set, backed out. Oldfield decided Tubular Bells was a piece of studio art not meant to be played live. Branson begged and begged Oldfield to play the gig, but Oldfield wouldn't budge. Finally Branson said, "I'll give you my Bentley!" And then Oldfield agreed to the concert, that went over well. (Although after the show Oldfield said, "I feel like I've been raped" and didn't play live again for a long time.)

Date: December 24, 2011 12:40

Title5Take1
I'd read that Taylor played on it live in Richard Branson's autobiography, but never heard Taylor's playing it until now. Thanks for posting.

Branson wrote that Michael Oldfield agreed to play it live—with Taylor—in front of an audience, and then after everything was set, backed out. Oldfield decided Tubular Bells was a piece of studio art not meant to be played live. Branson begged and begged Oldfield to play the gig, but Oldfield wouldn't budge. Finally Branson said, "I'll give you my Bentley!" And then Oldfield agreed to the concert, that went over well. (Although after the show Oldfield said, "I feel like I've been raped" and didn't play live again for a long time.)

I hadn't realised Oldfield had been so reluctant to play it live, I'd alkways assumed that it was more the logistics of it that had put him off. Now, I wonder if it will be one of those things that gets brought out on an anniversary with a whole list of top musicians playing at somewhere like the Albert Hall. It's a great piece of work and since part of it was taken for the Exorcist tune it adds a whole sinister dimension to it.

Anyway glad some of you enjoyed it.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 24, 2011 13:02

The video is available on a 3 disc issue of Tubular Bells that came out a few years ago. It includes a stunning sounding 5.1 surround mix.

Date: December 24, 2011 13:52

Silver Dagger
The video is available on a 3 disc issue of Tubular Bells that came out a few years ago. It includes a stunning sounding 5.1 surround mix.

If only I had surroud sound !

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: December 24, 2011 15:14

I 've never seen that before. Thanks for posting it .

sc uk

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1547
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home