Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Moving B Stage: Use it or Lose it
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: October 16, 2010 00:14

Since it seems almost a certainty that the Stones will go on tour fairly soon, this is a good time to discuss the extras the Stones like to throw at us. I suspect this will be a controversial issue, as some of us love the extras (lighting, fireworks, and so on) and others prefer the more mimimalistic approach (no frills or few frills).

I love the moving stage. The fans, especially the younger ones, go wild when the stage moves to the center of the stadium or arena. Half the fun of seeing the Stones is seeing the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World, and half is watching the crowd reaction. I would like to see the Stones perform about five songs on the moving stage, instead of the usual three.

I say: Use the moving stage.

Re: The Moving B Stage: Use it or Lose it
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 16, 2010 00:23

The B-stage idea is probably on its last leg.

Had they actually used the B-stage to completely pull the brakes on the show to showcase extremely obscure songs and way out there sets, the B-stage wouldn't have had to rely on gimmicks such as a moving stage or a bridge or whatever. Once in a while they'd pull out a rare song on there ("Crazy Mama") or do something significant during that part of the show (the NS tour B-stage set was always special, I thought Route 66, Get off My cloud and Midnight Rambler was a fantastic combo), but lately it's just been a continuation of the greatest hits from the main stage. A lazy decision. The fact that they HAVE to limit it to 3 songs doesn't help either...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-16 00:36 by Justin.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 16, 2010 00:25

was a cool idea until the tragic "raping of the b-stage" began in '02. criminal offense.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 16, 2010 00:35

LOSE IT. Either stick with the original idea - way out in the audience - or don't do it at all.

And if they do do it, it should be nothing but blues songs - played well to boot.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 16, 2010 00:35

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-16 00:36 by Justin.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: October 16, 2010 00:37

Use it, with the right songs

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: October 16, 2010 00:54

If you're right up front, B stage is a drag. Of course if you are near the mid or back, it's awesome!

If they must do huge arenas and/or stadiums, I say let's keep it.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 16, 2010 00:57

Screw the b-stage.

The sound is horrible and it kills enough time for an extra song on the main stage.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 16, 2010 00:57

Lose it.

Date: October 16, 2010 01:03

It was nice when U2 did it on the ZOO TV tour. Because it was "acoustic" based. The Stones on the Licks tour? I dunno. Good energy. The Voodoo B-stage was annoying but wasn't that just for the Miami show?

Now the Bridges tour - THAT was the BEST EVER. That will never be topped. That was truly a fantastic way to do it - with a real bridge.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: October 16, 2010 01:05

Lose the giant stadiums!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 16, 2010 01:27

Make it a rotating B-stage. I'd love to see Mick and the boy land in the audience after one song.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 16, 2010 01:49

I'm for a B-stage only, with people surroundin' it, like a boxe game,
FANS vs STONES but no winner no loser winking smiley

HMN

Posted by: atip ()
Date: October 16, 2010 01:51

Edith Grove
Screw the b-stage.

The sound is horrible and it kills enough time for an extra song on the main stage.

Not true. As of the last tour, they play on the way out and back. I don't think you'll get an extra song even without it. They're not getting any younger. The B-stage is a good way for those farther back to get closer for a few songs. Keep it!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 16, 2010 02:00

The older they get, the longer the walk to the b stage will be.

Hate to see them go back and forth with the first hint of stooping old man walking on shaky legs.

They should copy U2, and play in the center of stadiums on a slowly rotating stage. Puts more people in the "front row" too.

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: October 16, 2010 02:02

After it's debut on B2B tour the B stage should have been retired. Since it's been part of their show though I think the B-Stage should be utilized strictly for an all accoustic 5 song set or have Keith use the B-Stage exclusively for his set (more than 2 songs please Keith).

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 16, 2010 03:28

dcba
Make it a rotating B-stage. I'd love to see Mick and the boy land in the audience after one song.

You mean like this?:

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 16, 2010 03:43

Edith Grove
dcba

You mean like this?:

I would go see U2 if they used this stage.

Date: October 16, 2010 06:29

I can't find the one from the Bridges tour that showed the bridge opening up and then the band crossing it.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 16, 2010 09:50

What's amazing to me watching L&G after all these years is that these guys were close enough to each other to have to try to stay out of each other's way. The stage was small, and so was the band. The best stage "gimmick" for the next tour would be no gimmick at all, just an old school "normal" stage. Let intimacy and proximity be the gimmick. If we must have stadiums, that's what the giant screens are for.

I am not sure that the fact that Keith could walk the equivalent of a mile while playing the solo to SFTD made his playing any more focused - quite the opposite, I'm afraid. Let them focus on their instruments instead of how many possible places they can roam around. It's not like the musicianship has been getting better recently, is it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-16 09:52 by 71Tele.

Posted by: JJFlash2010 ()
Date: October 16, 2010 09:50

I say use it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 16, 2010 11:27

Dump it .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 16, 2010 13:51

The B-stage should be used for something special, like an acoustic set, an early 60's songs set, a blues set, soul set, whatever. When the B-stage is raped with a continuation of the normal warhorse routine, it's just another gimmick like those inflatable dolls and fireworks. I can live without that.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: October 16, 2010 14:43

lose it and the band introductions too and give us a 21 song set instead.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: October 16, 2010 14:59

loog droog
The older they get, the longer the walk to the b stage will be.

Hate to see them go back and forth with the first hint of stooping old man walking on shaky legs.

- who said anything about walking?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 16, 2010 15:04

Edith Grove
You mean like this?:

Yeah man, that would be cool LOL

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: riffhard72 ()
Date: October 16, 2010 19:52

Lose it for sure. Boring & predictable now.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 16, 2010 20:06

alimente
The B-stage should be used for something special, like an acoustic set, an early 60's songs set, a blues set, soul set, whatever. When the B-stage is raped with a continuation of the normal warhorse routine, it's just another gimmick like those inflatable dolls and fireworks. I can live without that.

thumbs up

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 16, 2010 23:52

T&A
was a cool idea until the tragic "raping of the b-stage" began in '02. criminal offense.

Couldn't have said it better. What purpose does it have with all "hits" played on it. Give us a third stage then for the hidden gems.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 17, 2010 00:31

The B-stage started as a place to play a few songs that hadn't been part of the repertoire in a long time with a scaled down band (no horns, no backup singers). When I saw my first few shows with a B-stage in 1997-98, those minisets were among the best live Stones I'd seen. But once they started with the warhorses on the B-stage (as early as late 1997), those minisets became less special.

Still, keep it. The B-stage brings the back of the house closer to the band for a few songs.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1499
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home