Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT:The Beach Boys Reunion...it's really happening
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 16, 2011 18:43

Well f*ck me....it's actually happening. New album and tour.

[www.thebeachboys.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-16 19:41 by Justin.

Re: OT:The Beach Boys Reunion...it's really happening
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 16, 2011 18:55

Thats kinda cool and all but it's sorta like The Beatles having a tour without John and George.....

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 16, 2011 18:57

scottkeef
Thats kinda cool and all but it's sorta like The Beatles having a tour without John and George.....

uhhh...no, not quite...brian, mike and al are good enough to call it the beach boys...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 16, 2011 18:59

scottkeef

or like Faces with Hucknall

2 1 2 0

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 16, 2011 18:59

I give Dennis and Carl more credit than that....

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 16, 2011 19:00

Carl's was really the voice that I think of when I think "Beach Boys".

Date: December 16, 2011 19:00

71Tele

u think weird

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 16, 2011 19:02

71Tele

Underestimated Chuck Berry guitarist. Dave Edmunds, possibly Albert Lee could fill in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-16 19:03 by Carnaby.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 16, 2011 19:05

StonesTod
71Tele

u think weird

Why? He sang lead on many of the best things they did.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: December 16, 2011 19:05

Dave Marks will do the surf guitar part. They will need a backup band, and it's not clear whether it will be Brian's or Love's. (Brian's is better.) Also unclear who they'll use to fill out the vocals. Al, Brian, and Mike have all used vocalists to take Carl's parts.

Dennis rarely sang. As the years passed on until his untimely death, he was there mostly for his personal charm.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 16, 2011 19:06

Putting David Marks in there is like the Stones bringing Taylor back, from a marketing standpoint.

Date: December 16, 2011 19:10

"Putting David Marks in there is like the Stones bringing Taylor back, from a marketing standpoint."

Kinda more like Dick Taylor.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: December 16, 2011 19:12

Will they bring Blondie back?

Date: December 16, 2011 19:13

"Will they bring Blondie back?"

Good question. Will Blondie be busy with any other gigs this year?

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: December 16, 2011 19:16

71Tele

Me, too.

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: December 16, 2011 19:22

I too think of Carl as the main voice, especially since I prefer Pet Sounds and the albums that followed it, especially Wild Honey, although Brian could also do some of Carl's parts. I certainly hope John Stamos is not going to be involved.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: December 16, 2011 19:22

On the fence on this one. Maybe minus Carl OR Dennis, this could be something to get a little more excited over, but without either of them it just doesn't feel like the Beach Boys to me. I'd honestly rather see Brian Wilson and his touring band again. But some people are going to be really happy about this, so good for them I say.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 16, 2011 19:32

What about Bruce Johnston? He was as much a part of the early band as anyone.

Date: December 16, 2011 19:33

Bruce is in. Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, Dave Marks, and unidentified back-up musicians and vocalists.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 16, 2011 19:36

From the video we see the guitar player and bass player from Brian's band plus the guitar player and drummer from Mike's band. As suspected, it shall be a hybrid of the two bands.

Date: December 16, 2011 19:47

"From the video we see the guitar player and bass player from Brian's band plus the guitar player and drummer from Mike's band. As suspected, it shall be a hybrid of the two bands."

That was so last summer. With Mike, Brian, and Al, they could be suing each other about who is in the band mid-tour.

They make Keith and Mick look like best pals who have had 50 years of Endless Harmony.

Date: December 16, 2011 19:56

71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele

u think weird

Why? He sang lead on many of the best things they did.

and he didn't on many of the other things they did...i vote for mike love as the voice of the band...and he has the advantage of being alive currently

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: December 16, 2011 19:58

theimposter
On the fence on this one. Maybe minus Carl OR Dennis, this could be something to get a little more excited over, but without either of them it just doesn't feel like the Beach Boys to me. I'd honestly rather see Brian Wilson and his touring band again. But some people are going to be really happy about this, so good for them I say.

Yup, kinda like If Robbie Robertson buried the hatch and The Band reformed with Robertson/Helm/Hudson. it would be 3/5 original but wouldn't work without Danko and Manuel.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 16, 2011 20:00

Finally a new gig for Jimmy Page!
Go Jimmy Go!

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 16, 2011 20:03

I can't help but wonder what all these people who have been paying to see the "Beach Boys" in recent years, who aren't necessarily familiar with the names of band members and thought they were indeed seeing the Beach Boys, think about this "reunion".

I've seen a lot of bands with partial lineups of original members before (hello Rolling Stones) but the term reunion implies that the original lineup is getting back together, at least to me. To me it's not really a "reunion" without Dennis and Carl. I'm not suggesting they dig them up or anything, but I think the term reunion is being used as liberally as the name Beach Boys was used for whoever those guys are that have been touring in recent years.

It's cool that the surviving members are getting back together, but it's a partial reunion at best.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: December 16, 2011 20:03

letitloose
theimposter

Yup, kinda like If Robbie Robertson buried the hatch and The Band reformed with Robertson/Helm/Hudson. it would be 3/5 original but wouldn't work without Danko and Manuel.
But it would still be nice to see Robertson and Helm working together again. Call it The Band, call it The Robertson/Helm Project, whatever it is. Just get back together. The fact that most likely it would be called "The Band" is purely for marketing purposes. Same story with the Beach Boys. Brian Wilson and Mike Love working together again = big news.

Date: December 16, 2011 20:09

Musically, most of the Beach Boys songs were about the contract between Mike's voice and either Brian's or Carl's. Carl was the best singer and can't be replaced. But with Brian, Mike, Al, and Bruce, it's close enough to be the Beach Boys. Three originals and a long-time replacement, including the key songwriter.

Kind of like Mick, Keith, Charlie, and Ronnie.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 16, 2011 20:10

NoCode0680
I can't help but wonder what all these people who have been paying to see the "Beach Boys" in recent years, who aren't necessarily familiar with the names of band members and thought they were indeed seeing the Beach Boys, think about this "reunion".

I've seen a lot of bands with partial lineups of original members before (hello Rolling Stones) but the term reunion implies that the original lineup is getting back together, at least to me. To me it's not really a "reunion" without Dennis and Carl. I'm not suggesting they dig them up or anything, but I think the term reunion is being used as liberally as the name Beach Boys was used for whoever those guys are that have been touring in recent years.

It's cool that the surviving members are getting back together, but it's a partial reunion at best.

Good point.
Should we suggest "The Fabulous Surviving Beach Boy Revue" then?

Date: December 16, 2011 20:10

NoCode0680

yeah, but "Beach Boys Partial Reunion Tour" doesn't have the same cachet or catchiness...i'm partial to eliminating the partial bit....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 16, 2011 20:11

StonesTod
NoCode0680

yeah, but "Beach Boys Partial Reunion Tour" doesn't have the same cachet or catchiness...i'm partial to eliminating the partial bit....

I'm definitely partial to that idea.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1750
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home