Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT-The Kinks
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 17, 2010 17:02

Meanwhile, Ray Davies is having fun on stage with Mumford and Sons...

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: October 17, 2010 18:20

slew
I first saw the Kinks in Lowell MA back in the late 70's early 80's still one of the best shows I've ever seen. Great live band and they were much like the Stones in the late 70's a lot of people wrote them off and they had a string of fine albums. Low Budget, Give the People What They Want, State of Confusion and Word of Mouth. I think I might like those better than the early stuff.

Great band and never mentioned in the panteon of great bands. Overlooked for some reason.

Slew, I also saw them in Lowell in the late 70s. It was a great show. Ray dressed up as Santa Claus for Father Christmas. Such an overlooked band. So good. Ray is a great writer and Dave defines garage/punk guitar. Love State of Confusion. Definitely as good as their earlier stuff. Schoolboy's In Disgrace is my favorite.

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: October 22, 2010 04:45

Something Else and Kinda Kinks. The first five tracks on Kinda Kinks are all good, which is very rare on any album. The CD reissues have some interesting bonus tracks.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 22, 2010 05:35

1. Better Things - Ray Davies & Bruce Springsteen
2. Celluloid Heroes - Ray Davies, Jon Bon Jovi & Richie Sambora
3. Days/This Time Tomorrow - Ray Davies & Mumford & Sons
4. Long Way From Home - Ray Davies, Lucinda Williams & The 88
5. You Really Got Me - Ray Davies & Metallica
6. Lola Ray - Davies & Paloma Faith
7. Waterloo Sunset - Ray Davies & Jackson Browne
8. 'Til The End of The Day - Ray Davies, Alex Chilton & The 88
9. Dead End Street - Ray Davies & Amy Macdonald
10. See My Friends Ray Davies & Spoon
11. This Is Where I Belong - Ray Davies & Black Francis
12. David Watts - Ray Davies & The 88
13. Tired Of Waiting - Ray Davies & Gary Lightbody (Snow Patrol)
14. All Day And All Of The Night/Destroyer - Ray Davies & Billy Corgan

I'm really looking forward to listening to Waterloo Sunset - Ray Davies & Jackson Browne.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-22 07:49 by Toru A.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: October 22, 2010 06:42

Does anyone know about Dave's condition since his stroke? I hope he's okay. I am probably in the top twenty Kink's fans in the world. Not the guy in "Rock n Roll Fantasy" but I love their work. Wish they'd get back together if Dave is in good condition. I read an interview in Rolling Stone that sounded like Ray wanted his band back. That might've even been the title.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: October 22, 2010 06:58

Wow, count another big Kinks fan here. Did anyone mention yet that their drummer Mick Avory was very briefly a Stone?

I've always seen a comparison to the Beach Boys -- brothers in the band, fragile genius older one, big hits in the early days with the best work in their middle period ignored -- later resurgence built off touring and re-appreciation of their hits...and so forth. Anyway, I love all their Reprise LPs from "Something Else" through "Lola Vs."which are nicely summarized on the incomparable "Kronikles", which is where I'd start anyone looking to see their greatness. But as said, there is amazing stuff right into the late 80s when Ray and Dave imploded or exploded. Glad to see a few others appreciate the overlooked "Schoolboys in Disgrace" -- definitely their lost masterwork in my opinion. Lots of wonderful tracks on their RCA albums and some on the Arista ones. The Reprise and RCA albums were reissued a few years back with some great bonus cuts -- can't go wrong there.

Two of the greatest shows I ever saw were the Kinks promoting "Soap Opera" in '74 (not a great LP but a great show) including a set of "hits" and such, and Ray doing his "Storyteller" at a smaller NYC club several years ago.

Thank you for the days.....

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: October 22, 2010 17:15

Wry Cooter
Wow, count another big Kinks fan here. Did anyone mention yet that their drummer Mick Avory was very briefly a Stone?

First I've heard of that. Could you elaborate?

Wry Cooter
Two of the greatest shows I ever saw were the Kinks promoting "Soap Opera" in '74 (not a great LP but a great show) including a set of "hits" and such, and Ray doing his "Storyteller" at a smaller NYC club several years ago.

I saw Ray do a one man acoustic show 2 years ago, and it was incredible. For an encore, he had the opening band come out and back him up while he did electric versions of Victoria, You Really Got Me, etc. One of the best shows I've ever been to, for sure! I really regret not seeing the Kinks back in the day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-22 17:15 by Keefan.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: October 22, 2010 17:39

CrazyDadda
I'm just getting into The Kinks and would like to know what's a good starting point in terms of albums, live, etc. Thanks. I am listening to the first album now.

Low Budget. That's because:

Art takes time
time is money
money is scarce
and that ain't funny

Or maybe because I was 17 when it came out.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: October 22, 2010 18:31

Keefan
Wry Cooter

First I've heard of that. Could you elaborate?

[ the Kinks back in the day.

When Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Brian Jones first got together in a London club in 1962 to form the seeds of the Rolling Stones, Mick Avory was their drummer.

Jagger and company's first gig as the Rolling Stones, at the Marquee Club, marked the beginning of Avory's tenure with the soon-to-be-giant band. It was not a long one, however, as the Stones didn't feel Avory was up to the task. Around the same time, art school student Ray Davies joined his brother Dave's band, the Ravens. Switching his career interest to music, Ray took over the band, which he renamed the Kinks. The Davies brothers completed their lineup with bassist Pete Quaife - and Mick Avory on drums.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: October 22, 2010 18:41

The Kinks came up with this gem later in their career

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: October 22, 2010 19:51

That is a good one -- I'd forgotten about it. Even in the late days there was always a gem or two on any of their LPs.

As stated, Avory's participation in the Stones was extremely brief. I'm not sure if he even played a gig with them.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 22, 2010 20:54

Wry Cooter
As stated, Avory's participation in the Stones was extremely brief. I'm not sure if he even played a gig with them.

He played a few to my knowledge, but he wasn't a particulary good drummer in the early days and it wasn't long before the Stones looked elsewhere. Shel Talmy thought likewise and opted to replace him with Bobby Graham (ace session drummer) on some of the earliest recording sessions. Avory improved, of course.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: October 22, 2010 21:23

1. Why oh why is he associating himself with bob jovi! geeeshh! why give that group any credibility?!

2. Beacon Theatre - NYC - Nov 24

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: October 22, 2010 22:06

mickscarey
1. Why oh why is he associating himself with bob jovi! geeeshh! why give that group any credibility?!

2. Beacon Theatre - NYC - Nov 24

Reminds me of the time I helped my brother open up his first club in DC - he'd have these bands booked that were really pretty good, but didn't have much of a following. Then he says one day, 'I booked a heavy metal band from the suburbs for Friday night'. I'm thinkin he's lost his mind because I knew he hated them - this is back in the late '80's when the hair bands were still big - but the crowd was massive. Moral: Bon Jovi draws lots of people, that's why you get odd pairings on some of these bills.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: October 22, 2010 22:17

Waiting on Celluloid Heroes. Immense lyrics.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 23, 2010 03:13

Big Al
Wry Cooter

He played a few to my knowledge, but he wasn't a particulary good drummer in the early days and it wasn't long before the Stones looked elsewhere. Shel Talmy thought likewise and opted to replace him with Bobby Graham (ace session drummer) on some of the earliest recording sessions. Avory improved, of course.

You can read Mick Avory's account of the whole business here:

[www.eddybonte.be]

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 23, 2010 04:25

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-28 07:26 by Toru A.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: October 23, 2010 05:08

Happy Jack
Village Green and Arthur are two musts for Kinks fans, and music fans in general. Two great albums.

Absolutely and without a doubt 2 of the finest albums by the Kinks and by anyone in the 60's. Required listening, no studying, for any person who is serious about music.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: October 23, 2010 05:16

I don't know about their early shows but by the 80's they certainly hit and miss. I saw a fantastic show on the Give the Poeple What they Want tour and a year or 2 later saw a completely awful show promoting the album after that.

One of the greatest highlights of my concert going was to see Ray Davies perform with Yo La Tengo, A great band in their own right. It was in NYC in 2000. Just fantastic!!!! I would kill for a copy of that show it was so good.

Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: October 27, 2010 22:58

Listening to Schoolboys In Disgrace, Hard Way is a rockin' song! I read that Bobcat Goldthwait wants to make into a movie.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 27, 2010 22:59

Anybody here seen the Dave Davies DVD that came out not so long ago?

Date: October 27, 2010 23:00

Date: October 28, 2010 07:59

Bobcat Goldthwait Directing Film Based on Kinks' 'Schoolboys In Disgrace'

Bobcat Goldthwait, the '80s comedian/actor whose stuttering ways were highlighted in two 'Police Academy' sequels and 'One Crazy Summer,' has not only penned a script based on the Kinks' 1976 album 'Schoolboys in Disgrace,' he's also set to direct it. According to the Hollywood Reporter, Goldthwait's script follows closely Ray Davies' original concept album about the origins of a super villain, whose days of mischief-making in school catch up with him. The headmaster embarrasses the "idiot dunce" in front of the entire student body, setting in motion the bully's evolution as "Mr. Flash."

The film is being executive produced by Davies himself and will feature all new, re-recorded version of the album, sung by the yet-to-be determined cast.

"'Schoolboys in Disgrace' is a story that any kid who has felt that they are not being treated fairly can relate to, all set to some of the greatest rock songs you'll ever hear," Goldthwait told the Hollywood Reporter. "It's the genesis story of a super villain set to music. It's the story of the world's most charming criminal and a realistic high school musical for all the kids who hate sugary, sweet, unrealistic high school musicals."

While he's excelled in one-off bits since the 1980s, Goldthwait has been quite active behind the camera as of late. He's done numerous voice acting work for cartoons and he's directed episodes of Comedy Central's 'Important Things With Demetri Martin' and 'Jimmy Kimmel Live.'

The filming of 'Schoolboys in Disgrace' should keep Davies continuously busy for the next year or so. As previously reported, he's recently been recording classic Kinks tunes with the likes of Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, the Killers and Lucinda Williams. If he has any pull -- and we're sure he does -- we'd love to see Springsteen take on the role as 'headmaster."

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: October 28, 2010 11:22

every lp from face to face to low budget & phobia

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 28, 2010 11:31

Rocky Dijon
Start with The Singles Collection...

Agreed, their 60's singles are pure gems.
If someone want to discover the KINKS it's a very good start.

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-28 11:32 by Honestman.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: November 1, 2010 00:15

Just come back from Ray Davies show at the Olympia in Paris. A great night. He plaid all his gems from the 60's and 70's plus some new songs. A smart guy like Charlie.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: November 2, 2010 22:15

saw them as early as in 1965 or 1966, on 14 of september my bthday
not many that can beat that i guess,
"Im on an Island" were published shorty after that.
they were in their red long jackets.
i was sitting in 1st row 15 years old

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 2, 2010 22:36

Always been a Kinks fan and never saw them that early on but have some great memorys.Was on holiday '64 '65 time at a caravan site and myself and a young northern girl were fans.We had a great time on our 2 week annual holiday with our parents.She was 13 and I was 12 and many great memorys.I'm 58 now but the Kinks and the memorys of that time are still there ! smoking smiley

Date: November 7, 2010 12:21

Anyone heard the new Ray Davies duets album....pretty good actually.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1118
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home