Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Wyman
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 2, 2011 11:51

There's a sense of justice after all. There where a few people on this board who wheren't all that happy with Darryl Jones. He didn't fit in, his sound wasn't good etc. Some of these people even received private mails with information that it would be best to die from certain diseases or do certain things with mothers that one would normally not do.

Now it's all over this board -just listen to freaking Bill Wyman on Brussels and Texas! Listen to his phrasing, listen to his sound! Wyman makes the Stones! He is the Stones!

Justice for Wyman. After all.

Mathijs

Re: Wyman
Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: December 2, 2011 11:58

Amen

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: December 2, 2011 12:07

I'll drink to that.Cheers.

Date: December 2, 2011 12:10

Wyman's playing is fantastic, especially in Texas.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 2, 2011 12:45

And let's not forget his dancing!

Yeah, Bill rocks!

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: December 2, 2011 13:01

Bill blows me away on Brussels! Seems the mixer know who handles the four-string too...
(..and while we´re on it, lets not forget we got the "Nellcote" instrumentals with Bill earlier this year, so...a good one for us!)

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 2, 2011 13:12

Totally agree , Bill Wyman is hardly a Stone alone. He really makes their sound round out. His fills are sweet as honey. Quit giving Chuck Leavell such a hard time, It's obviously the lack of Bill that has really changed the Stones into something less than fantastic. peace.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 2, 2011 13:35

There's a sense of justice after all. There where a few people on this board who wheren't all that happy with Darryl Jones. He didn't fit in, his sound wasn't good etc. Some of these people even received private mails with information that it would be best to die from certain diseases or do certain things with mothers that one would normally not do.

Now it's all over this board -just listen to freaking Bill Wyman on Brussels and Texas! Listen to his phrasing, listen to his sound! Wyman makes the Stones! He is the Stones!

Justice for Wyman. After all.

<Mathijs>

The Stones didn't ask D. Jones to copy Wyman although he expected that. Bill got recognition from countless Stones fans for several decades already. And just like Taylor (and Brian) he decided to leave. I loved his playing: Bill added a significant contribution to the RS sound, but I don't think he's a big loss for the Stones. IMO the vibe had gone a long time before his departure. Darryl's contribution made that even more clear: he had to stick to the basics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-02 17:59 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: December 2, 2011 13:39

Bill hasn't got the respect he deserves. Hope he gets it now.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 2, 2011 14:08

Dylan told this already 1993...

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: December 2, 2011 14:19

I couldn't agreed more thumbs up

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-02 14:19 by Honestman.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: December 2, 2011 14:42

I admire a lot Darryl Jones playing.

I like and listen very much to jazz and know that this guy is one of the best bass players in the world.

Listen to his work with Miles Davis, or Sting or Herbie Hanckock...

He is of course different from Wyman.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 2, 2011 15:01

Yep, and what mess wouldn't Wyman had been in Miles working band...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 2, 2011 15:28

one way to consider this: since 1994, has anyone paid attention even once to what the bass player in the stones was playing?

darryl is a very capable guy...but i can't honestly remember a single line he's ever played with the band...maybe that's sorta intentional or something...but it's also helps illustrate the point that the thread-starter makes here....

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 2, 2011 15:33

StonesTod
one way to consider this: since 1994, has anyone paid attention even once to what the bass player in the stones was playing?

darryl is a very capable guy...but i can't honestly remember a single line he's ever played with the band...maybe that's sorta intentional or something...but it's also helps illustrate the point that the thread-starter makes here....

Another way to consider it is when the band takes their final bow after a show Darryl is not in there. A bass player is major part of a band not a side man.

Date: December 2, 2011 15:36

The Sicilian
StonesTod

Another way to consider it is when the band takes their final bow after a show Darryl is not in there. A bass player is major part of a band not a side man.

yeah, but that's not a reflection of his playing, per se. darryl was never mentioned or considered by the stones as anything but a hired hand, as opposed to an actual band member. only band members get that final bow thing...

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: December 2, 2011 15:44

Wyman was great with the Stones and still is by himself. He chose to quit and they had to fill his shoes to continue as a band. DJ was chosen and even though he's not as distinctive in his playing as Wyman, he still gets the job done. If he hadn't he too would have been replaced, so I guess the stones camp are satisfied with him.

Is Wyman a "better" overall bassplayer than DJ? Probably not.
Is Wymans playing more unique and adding another dimension to Stones songs? Hell, yes!
That to is very noticable on the recorded songs that Wyman didn't play on in recording sessions. Live, those songs reaches a higher level with Wyman on bass.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 2, 2011 15:52

StonesTod
The Sicilian
StonesTod

yeah, but that's not a reflection of his playing, per se. darryl was never mentioned or considered by the stones as anything but a hired hand, as opposed to an actual band member. only band members get that final bow thing...

That might be their argument, but he does play on practically every song, both concert and recordings. Its a tough sell convincing people that he is not a band member. I'm not defending him, just his status. For the record.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 2, 2011 15:54

I didn't think it was necessary to comment on Darryls playing to pay hommage to Bill!
Why can't we just be positive about one player without dismissing another?

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 2, 2011 15:57

yeah thats true because the stones have done nothing since he left the band right?

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 2, 2011 16:04

I to love Bill and wished he never left..But it sure isn't Jones's fault that Bill left..

None of us would have liked anyone who replaced Bill...

Bill, Jagger, Charlie, Keith, Mick T. and Ronnie are irreplaceable...Sadly Brian died and had to be replaced.....
(If he lived many of us would not have liked his replacement.)

DJ did as good as anyone under the circumstances!!

BILL PLEASE COME HOME!!

Date: December 2, 2011 16:05

The Sicilian
StonesTod
The Sicilian
StonesTod

That might be their argument, but he does play on practically every song, both concert and recordings. Its a tough sell convincing people that he is not a band member. I'm not defending him, just his status. For the record.

so does chuck and he's not a stone nor a final bower, either...

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 2, 2011 16:51

Thommie
Bill hasn't got the respect he deserves. Hope he gets it now.

Neither has Darryl...

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: December 2, 2011 17:12

Darryl is a damn good bassplayer and likely much better than Bill is, but Bill was recognized as a full member and therefor had the rightfull freedom to play the way he saw fit, which he did brilliantly. Darryll however as a sideman is ordered to keep a low profile, if Darryll would have been granted the same right pf freedom Bill used to have he would play the stars from heaven and put his mark on every song. So every comparison is due to the different rules attached to both bassplayers in the Stones a futile, unjust and silly exercise.

Date: December 2, 2011 17:17

thabo
Darryl is a damn good bassplayer and likely much better than Bill is, but Bill was recognized as a full member and therefor had the rightfull freedom to play the way he saw fit, which he did brilliantly. Darryll however as a sideman is ordered to keep a low profile, if Darryll would have been granted the same right pf freedom Bill used to have he would play the stars from heaven and put his mark on every song. So every comparison is due to the different rules attached to both bassplayers in the Stones a futile, unjust and silly exercise.

a brilliant and worthy theory...and one that i soundly and thoroughly reject.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: December 2, 2011 17:29

The decision to put Wyman so high up in the mix on 'Brussels' was brilliant, IMO. Same goes for Some Girls TX - I guess I had forgotten just how great and integral to their sound he was. That said, I still don't regard him as THE key member. That's like saying any one member of the Beatles was what made the group (now as for CCR, for example, that idea does indeed apply).

I'd love it if they played with him just one more time just to hear that magic he would weave with Charlie.

Posted by: kittypoo ()
Date: December 2, 2011 17:39

I remember when I was 12 or so ( I'm 50 ) looking at pictures of the Stones and always wondering who the guy with the guitar almost held straight up was . And he would just stand there . Of course many years later I'm just blown away by all that is Bill Wyman . The Texas Some Girls show just blew me away . Bill is grrrrrrreaatttt!!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 2, 2011 19:24

All these compliments, and analyzing of Bill's sound, are a relatively new phenomena. He was basically overlooked by almost everybody. It would drive me crazy reading reviews of new Stones albums in the 70s and there would barely be a mention of Bill, and absolutely no analysis of what he was doing. You would get the Wyman/Watts rhythm section compliment, and maybe some comment on Charlie, but nothing on Bill.

Bill was so easy to overlook with pretty boys Brian, Mick and Keith up front. (Even with Keith's jug ears). They didn't let him sing after the unfortunate 'Time Is On My Side' backup vocal on Ed Sullivan. After he left stage right and setup for business a step behind Keith on far stage left, he blended into the background. I have friends from other countries who don't know the Stones that well. I played them the Hampton DVD and asked them to tell me where that great sound that tied everything together came from. "That guy?" was their reaction to seeing the little guy with the Buster Keaton demeanor laying all that funk down on Miss You.

Real Stones fans have known for years that Bill was (almost) always on the important Stones recording. And even if he wasn't (JJF, Tumbling Dice), it was played in a Wyman style. The most overlooked part of Satisfaction is Bill's strident counter melody. And time has revealed his subtlety on placing one perfect note on ballads like No Expectations, or Slipping Away. It used to drive me crazy when a single like She's So Cold would be all over the radio and no one would comment on that loopy, humorous bass.

Within the band I don't think they ever got over the 'Ernie' that showed up with Tony Chapman who only got to stick around because of his spare amp and extra fags. I don't think they understood that the Rolling Stones were bigger than Mick, Keith & Brian. It's like trying to explain how the hell you end up with Lennon & McCartney hooking up in the same small city, not even mentioning little Georgie Harrison. Fate, if you believe such things, seems to have also brought the members of the Stones together. Only Mick & Keith knew each other beforehand. Brian thought it was his band too, but he was wrong. Whatever forces brought together these particular people, they were perfect for the group.

Bill was first and foremost a musician. He took piano lessons as a child and was always involved in music. His sensitive, instinctual feel cannot be replicated. It took his parting, and the subsequent degradation of the studio sound of the Stones, to make a lot of people figure out what was missing. I agree that by the '89-'90 stage shows he wasn't as forceful. I attribute that somewhat to the vastness of the stage. I want to see Atlantic City '89 and judge a smaller venue. But he's all over the Steel Wheels record. He's jazzy on Terrifying, choke throat on Mixed Emotions, and melodic on Blinded By Love.

Face it, Bill is as important as any of them to the foundation sound of the Rolling Stones. And now he gets to bask in the limelight a bit as the compliments come pouring in. It's about f&*#ing time.

Date: December 2, 2011 19:47

24FPS
Face it, Bill is as important as any of them to the foundation sound of the Rolling Stones. And now he gets to bask in the limelight a bit as the compliments come pouring in. It's about f&*#ing time.

i think the compliments have always been there from the serious stones fans...as you alluded to earlier in your post...and i still think that's where it begins and ends...so really nothing has changed.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 2, 2011 19:59

StonesTod
24FPS

i think the compliments have always been there from the serious stones fans...as you alluded to earlier in your post...and i still think that's where it begins and ends...so really nothing has changed.

But there is one particular Rolling Stones fan who has just very recently recognized Wyman's significance to the sound of the Rolling Stones. His name is Keith Richards. I hope he would have done already when 'writing' LIFE... But better later than never... let the justice happen...thumbs up

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-02 20:00 by Doxa.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1485
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home