Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is his the worst Mick performance?
Posted by: Des ()
Date: October 7, 2010 04:36

I keep telling folks you have to see Mick work to appreciate his tallent. We know he has two basic faces, Mick in interview and stage Mick.

So what the heck happened here?

I recently suffered through a Roberta Flack show while she read (not sang) the lyrics. There is a point I want my money back and Roberta was one of them and I would have had to think obout this sad performance. I just think he needs a few more tips from Jimmy Fallon on how to be Mick, you know, more pointing and hand claps (lol).

Hope you suffered watching this as I did!

Re: Is his the worst Mick performance?
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 7, 2010 04:58

I think that Mick knew from the beginning of the song that walking through that mad crowd was going to be difficult. He was probably nervous and anxious.Those japonese dudes went @#$%& crazy on him!
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: October 7, 2010 05:03

What the heck? I was really worried for Mick when he started to make his way through the audience! Who thought that would be a good idea?!?!? The video started out horribly, but Mick turned it on a bit in the last minute or so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-07 05:03 by spsimmons.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: October 7, 2010 05:51

I think whoever had the idea to walk through the crowd must've been the clothing designer as well!
Lawdy Mama the 80s were a horrendous time.
T@3

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 7, 2010 05:57

Thanks for this. I have never seen or even read about this. For a few seconds it looks like Altamont. I have never seen Mick thrown like that. He really seemed shook that he had made a potentially dangerous blunder. He just gives up right from the start. Gratefully Lisa, Jimmy, and Joe kept it going otherwise things might have turned out very differently.

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: October 7, 2010 05:58

Maybe monitor problems, too. Very different from his excellent running through the crowd during "Let Me Go" in 1981.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 7, 2010 08:14

>> Maybe monitor problems, too <<

yeah it looks like it
competely idiotic idea (but then: doing that number at all in a Mick Solo Scenario was a completely idiotic idea)
and he did it anyway. the Mick's a brave man

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 7, 2010 09:27

He must have been seriously nervous about this. The singing was quite terrible.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: October 7, 2010 09:50

TeaAtThree
I think whoever had the idea to walk through the crowd must've been the clothing designer as well!
Lawdy Mama the 80s were a horrendous time.
T@3

haha....smileys with beer

Posted by: jjsteve ()
Date: October 7, 2010 10:28

FORGET THE SINGING, WHY CAN'T THEY PLAY IT TODAY LIKE THIS AT LEAST - AT LEAST HERE, WE CAN HEAR RHE GUITARS, GOOD GUITAR SOLO, AND IT'S GOT A DECENT BEAT AND RHYTHM TO IT...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 7, 2010 11:10

Acc. to Mathijs premium grade blow is the culprit for this moment of loneliness Mick encountered...

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: October 7, 2010 11:13

jjsteve
FORGET THE SINGING, WHY CAN'T THEY PLAY IT TODAY LIKE THIS AT LEAST - AT LEAST HERE, WE CAN HEAR RHE GUITARS, GOOD GUITAR SOLO, AND IT'S GOT A DECENT BEAT AND RHYTHM TO IT...
it`s a total shit for me , i`m sorry ,so called "rock" but in fact - kitsch

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 7, 2010 11:29

benon again
jjsteve
it`s a total shit for me , i`m sorry ,so called "rock" but in fact - kitsch

Agree with benon,terrible "version"...sound, everything.
Even some weak ones by the Stones don´t come close to this,thankfully.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 7, 2010 12:40

dcba
Acc. to Mathijs premium grade blow is the culprit for this moment of loneliness Mick encountered...

Haha, I was just about to write that again! But indeed, look at Mick chewing, it looks like that line of coke hit him real hard.

And to add -what an awful band...that drummer should be forbidden to ever sit on a drumstool again!

Mathijs

Date: October 7, 2010 12:44

jjsteve
FORGET THE SINGING, WHY CAN'T THEY PLAY IT TODAY LIKE THIS AT LEAST - AT LEAST HERE, WE CAN HEAR RHE GUITARS, GOOD GUITAR SOLO, AND IT'S GOT A DECENT BEAT AND RHYTHM TO IT...[/quot
Actually Keith is right when he sez Mick disassociated while solo; the band has got it all wrong.. The sound of that kick drum...terrible. Charlie is in pain. And as guitar solo - I'll take Keith's fragmented runs, and Ronnie's occasional wail over that solo anytime.
80's were unkind in retrospect. Satriani with make-up. Although I have revised my opinion of him; seems like a very good guy - just not a Stone.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 7, 2010 12:49

I can't remember on which DVD I saw it before-probably on "Jagger & the Brother of Sodom 88 ' that I downloaded on the Hot Stuff section.
The footage is almost surrealistic .I can't believe that Jagger didn't see this coming....

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: October 7, 2010 12:54

Maybe he wanted it; a good mobbing is good for the ego and image early on. Playing Japan to rave response is almost a Spinal Tap move.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 7, 2010 13:32

I agree, the vocal performance is horrible but the "talk it through" is intentional. I also believe the idea to walk through the audience was based on the idea to create some drama to fit to the nature of the song... but seemmingly it left out from the hand and the "give me some shelter" had more accuracy than thy pre-thought.

But I need to say as the years go by, more and more I seem to like Jagger's solo 1988 tour. I see a lot of potentiality there. As far as I am concerned he should have develop his act from then on - continue the Stones story by his own and not lasvegalize the actual Stones, that is, take the concept he was creating in his solo tour to apply to his 'real' band. But the dude chickened, and took the safe route. I think the results have had been musically more rewarding in a long run. He would have needed to work harder and like the clip shows, even in his worst moments, there is horrible amount of charisma involved. The Stones scheme offers Mick way too safe context (that I think is one reason for Mick losing his muse). With other people - that he could have changed from time to time even radically (as solo artits do, a'la McCartney) - he would have had much more room to do things differently from time to time. Instead he forced Keith, Ronnie, Bill and Charlie to follow the Vegas concept that took all the excitement of legendary Rolling Stones sound out. And those guys are not any kind of pro Vegas-style musicians who could do much variance in a given framework. No wonder Bill left.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-07 13:33 by Doxa.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 7, 2010 14:03

SwayStones
I can't remember on which DVD I saw it before-probably on "Jagger & the Brother of Sodom 88 ' that I downloaded on the Hot Stuff section.

It is taken from this DVD:

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: October 7, 2010 14:18

I've read about it, but never have seen. Waw! How one may sing after such a fear? This is the interview with film director Michael Lindsay-Hogg, who shoot literally by himself namely this stuff

"Mick came up with the idea returning to the stage from the mixing booth, which stands in the centre of the auditirium.His security team were immediately worried, but Mick wasn't becouse he thoght the Japanese were too orderly for there to be a problem.However, he took two bodyguards with him...
He got to the booth relatively unnoticed in the dark and then started to sing into his microphone as he walked towards the stage, some 200 feet away while audince parted, in theory,to let him through.
Well,it has to have been the shock, the fact that they'd never had a star literally in their midst before, becouse suddenly they completely lost all their inbred control and mobbed him in a very alarming way. I was shooting the video from the stage, and it wasn't artificial, He was in real trouble, we in the crew all knew it and could do nothing about it. The situation was desperate, and thyough the camera I could see stark fear in Mick's eyes..... Callaghan(bodyguard) finally got Mick to the stage. He was white-faced and in a sweat. When Japanese released the video they had edited out the mob scene becouse they didn't think it politic to show Japanese kids breaking ranks. But for Mick and for me, it's a hairy moment we will never forget"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-07 14:29 by proudmary.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: October 7, 2010 14:19

Terrible vocal performance. Can't hear what's wrong with the band though. Yes they chose a slightly different approach than the Stones. But it has a nice groove. Remember when this was recorded. Jagger was trying to mix a stones classic with a contemporary sound/feel. To a certain extent, I think he (the band) suceeded.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: October 7, 2010 14:39

Jim Callahan had his work cut out for him that night, didn't he?
Fun for me to see ol' JC in action muscling his way through the crowd, thanks for posting.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 7, 2010 14:53

The whole tour was pure shit and a sellout.

But I like this scene of him getting through the masses.
Did he always do that in ´88?

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 7, 2010 15:13

In fact Mick doesn't seem to be much shocked or shaken after he got out of the crowd. But he must have been.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 7, 2010 15:14

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 7, 2010 16:47

Based on listening to this again it's not a monitor issue for Mick - his voice was shot. When he got on stage where he could hear himself he was still doing that grunt speak.

He should stop chewing gum when he does gigs.

Date: October 7, 2010 17:00

Happy24
SwayStones

It is taken from this DVD:

[www.iorr.org]

No ,I don't think so .I have this DVD as well and Gimme Shelter is from Melbourne,not Tokyo winking smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-07 17:01 by SwayStones.

Date: October 7, 2010 17:01

Happy24
In fact Mick doesn't seem to be much shocked or shaken after he got out of the crowd. But he must have been.

I agree .

Date: October 7, 2010 17:02

skipstone

He should stop chewing gum when he does gigs.

He often used to chewing gum on stage some years ago ,didn' he ?

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 7, 2010 17:58

an amazing clip... I agree with those who think mick's listlessness is from being wary, then shaken up by the almost out-of-control crowd. Visions of Altamont, indeed... He starts to get his sea legs back near the end of the number, but looks dazed as he mounts the stage. Wonder if he was thinking of his mistaken judgment of the Japanese crowd, or of his ill-advised grandiosity in making such an entrance... in way it's a nice thought, though, to give the crowd something exciting. But it almost speaks to an insecurity about the musical value of the show.

if it weren't mick, I would say the bodyguards must have earned big bonuses that evening!

and the band's professionalism is impressive, as their leader nearly goes under. On with the show!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1851
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home