Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Before They Make Me Run – Portraits of Keith Richards ’63 to ‘71 at the San Francisco Art Exchange
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 1, 2010 15:05

[www.cisionwire.com]

Press release
San Francisco Art Exchange
29 Sep, 2010 23:04 CET

“Before They Make Me Run – Portraits of Keith Richards ’63 to ‘71”

Opening at the San Francisco Art Exchange October 23

Keith Richards photography exhibition, opening October 23rd; just three days before his much-anticipated autobiography is released. Some of the world’s greatest rock photographers’ work is coming together to form an intimate look at the various stages of Keith’s life in “Before They Make me Run – Portraits of Keith Richards ‘63 to ‘71.”

As one of the world’s most beloved musicians, Keith is celebrated as much for his lifestyle as his musical genius. See how each photographer captured a different side of Keith in “Before They Make me Run.”

Curated by Raj Prem and produced in association with SFAE, the exhibition includes images from iconic sessions such as Phillip Townsend’s first ever photographs of the Stones in Chelsea in the early ‘60s, Gered Mankowitz’s moody black and white portraits, Michael Cooper’s exotic images from Morocco and Joshua Tree, Michael Joseph’s “Beggars Banquet” photos, official Stones photographer Ethan Russell’s poetic images of the group’s 1969 and 1972 US tours, and Dominique Tarle’s photos taken during the recording of “Exile on Main St.” in the South of France. Additional photographers included are Peter Webb and David Montgomery with their memorable “Sticky Fingers” images, well known producer Eddie Kramer's intimate recording studio shots with Keith, and Jerrold Schatzberg’s shots of Keith dressed in drag.

“Before They Make me Run” opens October 23 with a reception at the San Francisco Art Exchange from 7:00 – 10:00pm, 458 Geary street (between Mason and Taylor). E-mail info@sfae.com or call (800) 344-9633 to R.S.V.P. The show will be viewable online, and in the gallery for a few weeks following the opening.

San Francisco Art Exchange has been the world’s leading dealer of popular icon art and photography since 1983. It is the home of pin-up artist Alberto Vargas’ collection of drawings and paintings. SFAE has developed relationships with legendary artists, photographers and celebrities around the world and has represented the art of Ronnie Wood, Rolling Stones guitarist since 1987. In addition to imagery of and by well-known personalities, SFAE has also enjoyed long relationships with famed album cover artists Storm Thorgerson (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin), Roger Dean (Yes, Asia), and Stanley Mouse (Grateful Dead). All images can be viewed in the gallery located in Union Square at 458 Geary Street between Mason and Taylor, and online at www.sfae.com. Gallery Hours: Mon-Wed 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., Thu-Sat 10:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m., Sun 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. ###

Press inquiries contact Nikki Sulon, nsulon@sfae.com

Re: Before They Make Me Run – Portraits of Keith Richards ’63 to ‘71 at the San Francisco Art Exchange
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 2, 2010 17:46

bump ~ that is gonna be one fine-lookin exhibition :E

Re: Before They Make Me Run – Portraits of Keith Richards ’63 to ‘71 at the San Francisco Art Exchange
Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 2, 2010 20:11

'63 to '71... tasteful choice. All the latter-day fans and celebrity-page readers will be wondering where are his headbands and skull rings!

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 2, 2010 20:26

Too far for me , if only I could go
Btw Green Lady , do you plan to go there ???
It will be great if someone post some snapshots...

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-03 04:11 by Honestman.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 3, 2010 01:49

Too much of a stretch for the budget, I'm afraid. Anyone else going?

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: October 3, 2010 02:18

some pics would be nice...

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 3, 2010 07:22

Green Lady
Too much of a stretch for the budget, I'm afraid. Anyone else going?

I'm going. I heard about this Keith show at SFAE's Hendrix opening last weekend - it is going to be spectacular. I'll take as many shots as possible. At the Hendrix show photographs were flying off the walls as people bought them--I'm sure this will attract even more collectors/buyers.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 4, 2010 17:34

Damn,why do they always schedule these things when I'll be out of town. Oh well I will go see the exhibition when I get back.

NEXT SATURDAY: Oct 23rd - Portraits of Keith Richards ’63 to ‘71 at the San Francisco Art Exchange
Date: October 17, 2010 04:44

Next Saturday!

Anyone going to the opening of the Keith photography exhibition at San Francisco Art Exchange?

details

Many photos we all know well ---as well as some others that I at least am not familiar with.

very tempted to buy this one

have had my eye on this for 2 years, and will someday buy it (not next week)

When is this from?

always enjoyed this Sphinx shot

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-17 05:12 by swiss.

Date: October 17, 2010 09:21

>> When is this from? <<

1967 - Gered Mankowitz's last sessions with the band before the long hiatus
(the shot with Ratbag is by Bent Rej and the other two are Dominique Tarle of course)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-17 09:23 by with sssoul.

Date: October 17, 2010 12:45

with sssoul
>> When is this from? <<

1967 - Gered Mankowitz's last sessions with the band before the long hiatus
(the shot with Ratbag is by Bent Rej and the other two are Dominique Tarle of course)

Thanks, with sssoul. I did know the photographers, and I should have credited them. You're always so good about remembering.

Curious that the Mankewitz photo is titled "Nodding," and the description says: "Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards, the double-helix of rock 'n' roll excess, "nods" off in a stylish blue shirt & Hussar jacket while at the new Olympic Studios in Barnes. The Stones were among the first clients, recording six consecutive LPs there between 1966 and 1972." since obviously Keith wouldn't have been nodding off in 1967.

Date: October 17, 2010 13:16

>> obviously Keith wouldn't have been nodding off <<

... well, kneejerk assumptions that if Keith has his eyes closed there must be substances involved are silly, of course -
but in fact a body can nod off for all kinds of reasons, including several that were well within Keith's 1967 repertoire :E

i've always loved that shot and to me it looks like he's simply closed his eyes ... he's like a rainbow

Portraits of Keith Richards in San Francisco
Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 17, 2010 22:11

Before They Make Me Run
Portraits of Keith Richards
1963-1971
12 famous photographers work on display
Opening reception San Francisco Art Exchange, San Francisco, USA
Saturday Oct 23, 2010 7pm-10pm

[www.sfae.com]

Lots of great works indeed. Wish I could be there!

Bjornulf

Date: October 18, 2010 01:52

with sssoul
i've always loved that shot and to me it looks like he's simply closed his eyes ... he's like a rainbow

aaaaaw! smiling smiley can't wait to see it live

with sssoul
>> obviously Keith wouldn't have been nodding off <<

... well, kneejerk assumptions that if Keith has his eyes closed there must be substances involved are silly, of course -
but in fact a body can nod off for all kinds of reasons, including several that were well within Keith's 1967 repertoire :E

ha ha hear what you're saying tho "nodding" usually refers to heroin specifically. Esp in a context like "Keith Richards, the double-helix of rock 'n' roll excess, nods off"

Hope some other iorrers will be there - the openings I've been to have been pretty packed, which is fun, tho I kinda hope they limit the number of people who can RSVP and be admitted

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 18, 2010 02:26

Wish I could make the opener. But I'll definitely go check it out when I get back.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: October 18, 2010 06:14

I'll check it out myself. There's a great ramen-ya just a few yards down towards Union Square. Mmmmm....

Date: October 18, 2010 09:10

I was seriously planning on going to the opening. But the forecast is for rain on Saturday and I don't care to drive around there in rainy weather.
eye rolling smiley It doesn't appear as though any of the photogs will be in attendance..?
I will *hopefully* check out the show later in November.

Date: October 18, 2010 09:37

>> "nodding" usually refers to heroin specifically <<

... well, if you say that's the case in your dialect, i believe you
in the variety of English i grew up with nodding out sounds drug-induced (not necessarily smack),
while nodding off could be for any number of reasons

Date: October 18, 2010 09:40

Wanton Witch of the Côte
I was seriously planning on going to the opening. But the forecast is for rain on Saturday and I don't care to drive around there in rainy weather.
eye rolling smiley It doesn't appear as though any of the photogs will be in attendance..?
I will *hopefully* check out the show later in November.

WWotC - hope it doesn'train so you make it down. I believe the same guy who curated this show at SFAE is also curating and opening similar shows in London and maybe NY the same night so I know he will not be in SF - haven't heard any of the photographers would be there.

Well, Chris M, glad you'll make it -- if you'd like to grab noodles at Union Sq ahead of time let me know. Otherwise I'll be meeting up w/friends at the show and if you see someone who you think looks like she might be named "swiss" say hello smiling smiley

Date: October 24, 2010 06:34

Heading out to the Keith show - friends say it is sparsely attended due to baseball game, but photos are awesome. If anyone else from here is at SFAE and sees this look for me I'm 5'4" blonde moppy hair.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1570
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home