Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Fitz and The Tantrums
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 13, 2011 05:00

I had the pleasure of catching this band live at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in SF a couple of weeks ago. I was familiar with their song "Money Grabber" and heard that they were playing at the festival so I thought I'd check them out. They won me over before the first song was finished. They saved their hit song for the end, no encore. There were even two covers, the Black Keys Steady as She Goes and the Eurythmics Sweet Dreams which was surprisingly good. I ended up getting their album Pickin' up the pieces. Its tremendous. Their sound is old school Motown but at the same time contemporary. On some tracks like the title track, Mr. President and Money Grabber, the drum sound is exactly like that on a Motown Record. My favorite is the ballad Winds of Change. Interestingly there are no guitars in F&T, just vocals, keyboards, bass, drums, sax, tambourine and sometimes a flute. The lead singer was quoted as saying He was sick of hearing the guitar. Despite that, I think this is a band a lot of people on this board would appreciate because of their motown and soul roots. They're a gas live and their album is great, no filler. any other fans out there?

Re: OT: Fitz and The Tantrums
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 13, 2011 05:38

I saw them open for the Specials last year at Club Nokia in Los Angeles.
Several catchy and quirky tunes...interesting retro vibe going on with them.
The lead singer's onstage persona was that of a spastic - similar to David Byrne from Talking Heads.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-13 05:40 by Hairball.

Re: OT: Fitz and The Tantrums
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 13, 2011 07:09

Hairball
The lead singer's onstage persona was that of a spastic - similar to David Byrne from Talking Heads.

I can see that. His voice sometimes reminds me of Daryl Hall.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2456
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home