Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: The Who
Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: September 30, 2010 23:10

I hope it's OK to post this but I can't think of a better place to get answers. I like the Who but only have compilations. I was reading the live album thread and Live at Leeds got a lot of mentions.

1.When people talk about the greatness of LAL do they mean the original version or the one with bonus tracks?
2. What other CD should I get?
3. I have two Who books but neither is a proper biography and I can't see any in the shops. Is there a good one?

Thanks

Re: OT: The Who
Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: September 30, 2010 23:16

The Mez was going to do an OT Who post tonight actually. What a coincidence! Live at Leeds is tremedous either way. Just great stuff! I'm a fringe Who fan with all the classics. My question actually is on their latter day stuff, like: Face Dances, It's Hard & Endless Wire. Are any of these any good? I remember some of the MTV clips of the singles like: You Better You Bet,& Eminence Front, Trick Day but not familiar with anything more from these. Any advice for The MEZ?? Oh another question which album is that Sister Disco from? thanks MEZ

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: September 30, 2010 23:22

I have had both Live at Leeds original then remaster w/ bonus. (I have all the remasters & a lot of boot's and solo) Both are great!! I prefer the remaster cause it extends the time of the disc with a lot of great material!

What other Cd? - That's tough because it's a personal choice, but I would have to say you can't really go wrong w/ Who's Next! 4 stars! classic!

Books.......I say all, just cause I LOVE the Who!

Check out this link! you'll find bout everything here...

[www.longliverock.org]

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-30 23:25 by Marhsall.

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: September 30, 2010 23:26

their best song to my mind : "Doctor Jimmy" on Quadrophenia

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 30, 2010 23:27

The Mez
The Mez was going to do an OT Who post tonight actually. What a coincidence! Live at Leeds is tremedous either way. Just great stuff! I'm a fringe Who fan with all the classics. My question actually is on their latter day stuff, like: Face Dances, It's Hard & Endless Wire. Are any of these any good? I remember some of the MTV clips of the singles like: You Better You Bet,& Eminence Front, Trick Day but not familiar with anything more from these. Any advice for The MEZ?? Oh another question which album is that Sister Disco from? thanks MEZ

Sister Disco is on the Who Are You album. But track down Pete's demo of it; it's brilliant. I have always liked the songs on Faces Dances, but hated the production. Bill Sczymek (sp?) was a terrible choice. Don't Let Go The Coat is one of Pete's most sublime songs. I liked the Kenny Jones period. Live, they were fantastic, the best concert I ever saw. I wouldn't bother with It's HArd. Again, track down Pete's demo of Athena (called Theresa) on Scoop 3. It's brilliant.
As for books, Dave Marsh's Before I Get Old is good, but apparently Daltrey isn't fond of it. The better book is Richard Barns' Maximum R&B. Great photos in that book, too, but it stops at about 1983, I think.

Date: September 30, 2010 23:30

Mez- The Last 2 albums don't get the appreciation they really deserve.

Are they close to Who's Next , Quad or Who By Numbers..no!

But at that time they were a diff. band w/ out Moon.

I personally like them for John Entwistle's songwriting on these 2 and the very unique arrangements Pete came up w/. Not to mention great lyrics as always,.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: September 30, 2010 23:33

the banjo groove on squeeze box so perfect. majestic amazing production on this seemingly comparatively lightweigt pleasure. listen closely to instru break. glorious and rrrocckkkinn

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: September 30, 2010 23:36

Always worth seeing live - despite Daltrey or Townshend, and even Zak Starkey you more feel seeing a concert instead of a show (the emotion I sometimes have when seeing the Stones.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: September 30, 2010 23:37

I like their live Join together from 1989 but only the greatest hits CD2

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: September 30, 2010 23:39

Shezeboss
their best song to my mind : "Doctor Jimmy" on Quadrophenia

cute lyrics

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: September 30, 2010 23:47

2 great albums of theirs that I think are overlooked by many are their 2nd and 3rd albums...A Quick One and The Who Sell Out. Although Who's Next is my #1 favorite, I really love both of those albums.

With the exception of Face Dances and Odds & Sods, I think everything that they recorded with Moon is a 'must have' (although there is some good stuff on Face Dances and Odds & Sods too).

Date: October 1, 2010 00:07

Nice call Keefan!

Always LOVED A Quick One - Album & Song - Sell Out is an amazing piece of work!

But would also like to mention their first album as the prototype for punk. It is pretty raw & nasty.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: October 1, 2010 00:20

I love their first album too Marshall. It's got more of an R & B flavor to it.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 1, 2010 00:33

Who ?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 1, 2010 00:37

Braincapers
1.When people talk about the greatness of LAL do they mean the original version or the one with bonus tracks?
Thanks

Both. It was considered to be a classic long before the CD with bonus tracks came along.

Date: October 1, 2010 00:47

[www.youtube.com]

Live At Leeds You Tube Vids.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 1, 2010 00:57

LAL original is how the band intended the album to be but the extended is superb

I love My Generation album (Delux is superb), also Who's Next (extended) is a must. Quadrophenia is great as is Tommy. Even Endless Wire is superb for half a band!

Books? Dear Boy - Keith Moon

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 1, 2010 00:59

"I like their live Join together from 1989"

Really???

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: October 1, 2010 01:39

The first (single disc) remaster with bonus tracks of LAL is best. The deluxe version came out a few years later, they added Tommy but mucked up the sound.

Who's Next, Tommy, Sell Out and Quad are all incredible. WBN and MG and WAY all good. Odds and Sods is pretty fun outtakes and b-sides.

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: October 1, 2010 03:36

Definetly get Face Dances, fantastic album. Did You Steal My Money, How Can You Do It Alone, and Another Tricky Day are some of their most underrated songs.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: October 1, 2010 04:14

Agree with OneHit Face Dances is a really strong album, great songs. It's closer to a Townshend solo album in feel, but I would say it's the Who Album I play more than any other these days.
T@3

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: October 1, 2010 04:53

Thanks all! MEZ

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: October 1, 2010 05:47

No good record since 1975

Date: October 1, 2010 06:17

Entwistle is in my opinion THE greatest bass player for any rock band there has ever been!

Also would have to mention his first two solo albums, and his great lyric writing!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 1, 2010 06:53

trainarollin
No good record since 1975

I'd go even further back. Quadrophenia was the last album of theirs that was solid all the way through.

Through 1971, they were the best live band around bar none. But they've been hit and miss live since then: playing along with too many backing tapes doing Quadrophenia live in '73-74; excellent in '75-76, but terrible on the Kilburn DVD from '77. Revived with Kenney Jones in '79, but limp by the time they quit in '82. The big band shows of '89 and '96-97 weren't really the Who. But they've generally been pretty solid with the smaller band since 1999 (with and without Entwistle bassasaurus rex).

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 1, 2010 07:08

The Who are essential...
Great stuff. I agree about the Maximum R and B book, very good. Also the DVD of the same name is outstanding.
The Kids Are Alright is simply amazing...both the CD and the new extended DVD. Fun stuff for sure.

The deluxe Who's Next is a winner, with a live disc. As is the double Live at Leeds disc. Yes the sound of the Tommy stuff is a bit less that the other disc, but still worth it.

Another fantastic release is The Who at the Isle of White. DVD and CD. Great and powerful versions of Young Man Blues, Water, I Don't Even Know Myself, and Tommy....
Endless Wire is a great! Some fantastic lyrics and great power chords with Daltry still able to howel.
Who Are You is another great one! HEll they are all mostly great! Who By Numbers is a very personal statement and a different Who album with some great mellow songs on it.
Quadrophenia is my fav, and to me a grand opus of playing and writing. The Ox shines on it playing bass, singing, and playing the horns. I am waiting with baited breath for the delux version to finally come out.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: October 1, 2010 12:08

so Live at Leed is going to be released in 40th anniversary ed.
[www.amazon.de]

6 Disks!!!!

Date: October 1, 2010 12:29

bluesinc. thanks for the heads up! That is wonderful news:

[store.universal-music.co.uk]

check out that link with pics too.

Date: October 1, 2010 14:01

bluesinc.
so Live at Leed is going to be released in 40th anniversary ed.
[www.amazon.de]

6 Disks!!!!

i thought it was 4 discs. the 2 LAL and then the hull show which is 2 discs

Date: October 1, 2010 14:22

Yes it is four CDs, one vinyl, and one vinyl single, so that is their count of six...

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1997
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home