Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Pink Floyd Week On Jimmy Fallon Starts 9/26
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 24, 2011 16:37

Re: OT: Pink Floyd Week On Jimmy Fallon Starts 9/26
Date: September 24, 2011 16:37

PINK FLOYD WILL BE IN THE FLESH, ON TV NEXT WEEK

9/23/2011

Next week's launch of the Why Pink Floyd? catalog reissue campaign will be celebrated on NBC's "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon" with a full week of performances -- including appearances by Pink Floyd co-founders Roger Waters and Nick Mason. Mason will be one of Fallon's guest on Monday, September 26, while Waters will join Foo Fighters on Tuesday, September 27 to perform "In the Flesh" from "The Wall." Waters will also chat with Fallon during the program. Other performances slated for the week include: the Shins playing "Breathe" from "The Dark Side of the Moon" on Monday; MGMT doing "Lucifer Sam" from "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" on Wednesday, September 28; country singer Dierks Bentley delivering "Wish You Were Here" on Thursday, September 29; and Pearl Jam covering "Mother" from "The Wall" on Friday, September 30. The first albums in the campaign -- remastered editions of Pink Floyd's 14 studio albums individually and in a box set, and special editions of "Dark Side..." -- come out on Tuesday, with a new best-of and special "Wish You Were Here" packages coming November 7 and "The Wall" out February 27. Another feature of the celebration; the inflatable pig from the cover of 1977's "Animals" album will once again float over England's Battersea Power Station on Monday, although it will be a new creation and not the exact same bovine used for the cover.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: September 24, 2011 17:02

Thanks for posting. I have not heard of this. Looking forward to it! Guess Gilmour is too busy to be bothered.

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: September 24, 2011 20:15

Wonder if Floyd will reform ever?

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 24, 2011 20:17

Nice. So it's for the entire reissue campaign. Is Fallon the go to guy now to promote reissues?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 25, 2011 00:13

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 25, 2011 00:16

OMG I just figured all this out., all the deluxe reissues ., now pink floyd .its another ENGLISH INVASION before the baby boomers fade away. OMG.

Date: September 25, 2011 00:21

Naturalust
OMG I just figured all this out., all the deluxe reissues ., now pink floyd .its another ENGLISH INVASION before the baby boomers fade away. OMG.

Actually, as the Floyd themselves have said, it's one last chance to do this while physical CDs are still being bought and sold.

A pair of interviews have been published today with Nick Mason, talking about the massive Pink Floyd reissue programme (http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest...ities-and.html) that was announced this week.The first of these, with Reuters news agency (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7494B220110512), was conducted at the Hollywood EMI office, with Nick saying that There is a slight sense that we are coming to the end of the period where people will buy the physical record with all the packaging and the information and so on. I think it's really important to try and have a last go at that, because if we do end up just downloading everything from now on it would be a shame if there wasn't on record all that good artwork and the things that went with it . Elsewhere in the interview, which you can read here (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7494B220110512), Nick talks of his pleasure that the Stephane Grappelli guest appearance was found and will be on the Wish You Were Here package. Mason also said he planned to attend the London stop of Waters The Wall world tour on Thursday.The other interview appears in Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ssues-20110511), where Nick reveals that the earliest material proved the biggest draw for him, particular tracks that emerged from the very back of the cupboard . When the subject turns to Roger Waters, he said: I hate to say this, because Roger is insufferable already, but his writing is extraordinary. The lyrics to Dark Side were written by a 20-something-year-old guy, but they're relevant to a 50- or 60-year-old guy. 'Time' or any of those songs have lasted extremely well. And the music has an abstraction to it that allows people to put their own visions on it. The songs leave a lot of scope for people to use their imaginations, paint their own pictures and make it a soundtrack to their thoughts and their lives. And you're most susceptible to that when you're a teenager . The full interview is online here (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ssues-20110511).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-25 00:40 by tatters.

Date: September 25, 2011 01:29

tatters
because if we do end up just downloading everything from now on it would be a shame if there wasn't on record all that good artwork and the things that went with it .

Bingo. Some smart young lad or lady out there will have to just make sure all that good artwork and everything is somehow included with the downloads. Sent UPS with a nice note and a backstage pass or two. Think Willy Wonka. I think Itunes rather sucks because they haven't been putting near enough information out with the product. They say they will catch up but I've been waiting years for those results.

Pink Floyd is more harmed because of all the themed based track a follows track b and such. Artists lose lotsa sleep over those silly little choices but they are hugely meaningful and take a bit of time to sort out. Single track downloaders are certainly not taking the time. OH well, bend like a reed. But I see some better servicing record companies out there in the near future. please. peace.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 25, 2011 01:41

When I saw the very full box set offering, I was half expecting there to be one version where they just went ahead and properly synced up the Wizard of Oz, I have never seen it, or done it, but I have heard that DSOTM plays perfectly along with the movie, if one starts it at the correct moment... maybe it does (maybe it doesnt)...

anyway.... I really like this picture.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-25 01:47 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: September 25, 2011 07:14

I pre-ordered Darkside the Immersion edition today. I look forward to hearing it!

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 25, 2011 19:24

EMI.

That says a lot. EMI is really giving Floyd fans something to get into. EMI has done a fantastic job with Pink Floyd. Giving the fans an option of getting the albums or more than the albums.

Why did the Stones leave EMI again? UMG has done next to nothing. Of course, it's probably more so the Sto - er, Mick Jagger than any record label. Why Mick wants to ignore the Stones legacy makes zero sense.

Date: September 25, 2011 19:50

Nick Mason was at the Grammy Museum Thursday night. Another very enjoyable evening there. He made the statement that they never really saved anything and much has been lost. During the Q&A portion of the evening I brought up that he had recently received a extensive bootleg collection from a fans widow, as mentioned in an interview in Record Collector, and had he had a chance to look thru it and using the fans to find some of this 'lost material'. He said that he had just started looking thru it before he left England but as they have no formal fan club he doesn't think it would be possible. After the program he signed autographs and I asked him if the band would be open to receiving material from fans for consideration on future releases. He said he would welcome any 'lost' material from fans. So, I guess if any fans have anything, you could forward copies to Pink Floyd's London offices and it would be greatly appreciated.

Scotty

MaxsKC -"I was half expecting there to be one version where they just went ahead and properly synced up the Wizard of Oz."
This was brought up during the interview and Nick basicly said people have too much time on their hands. LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-25 20:41 by micknkeef@cox.net.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 25, 2011 21:36

Naturalust
Peace.

Date: September 25, 2011 21:47

[email protected]
MaxsKC -"I was half expecting there to be one version where they just went ahead and properly synced up the Wizard of Oz."
This was brought up during the interview and Nick basicly said people have too much time on their hands. LOL

That is interesting... that is what they have always said (I dont think) they have ever flat out denied it. As I said above, I never have seen it or done it, but there are some websites devoted to it... here is one I found quickly.. [www.ingsoc.com] if it is all really in sync(I dfont know) there is too much in common for it to be a coincidence... anyway, I just threw it out there, an old myth.

I always wondered how the heck anyone would accidently "stumble" upon this pairing...

Date: September 25, 2011 23:34

Max'sKansasCity
I always wondered how the heck anyone would accidently "stumble" upon this pairing...

Too much time on their hands of course. peace.

Date: September 25, 2011 23:38

Naturalust
Max'sKansasCity

naw... what are the odds of someone multitasking to the point of watching WOO and listening to DSOTM... I am betting this is a true story, leaked by the band to keep the album perpetually on the top selling albums list.... and they leaked it in 1995 just in time, before it might have come off.... damn it, I must remeber to stay off conspircay web sites winking smiley

Date: September 25, 2011 23:45

[email protected]
Nick basicly said people have too much time on their hands. LOL

None more so than Nick.

Date: September 26, 2011 00:00

Max'sKansasCity
Naturalust
Max'sKansasCity

naw... what are the odds of someone multitasking to the point of watching WOO and listening to DSOTM... I am betting this is a true story, leaked by the band to keep the album perpetually on the top selling albums list.... and they leaked it in 1995 just in time, before it might have come off.... damn it, I must remeber to stay off conspircay web sites winking smiley

That's a long shot MKC. That record was in perpetual play for so long because it is so @#$%& great. It probably played through and sync'ed up with alot more cool events and films just because 25 million people were playing it 100+ times each. It is an easy record to listen to, repeatedly. Besides the tripping crowd is always looking for hidden meaning and this was the soundtrack to their search throughout the whole of the 70's. peace.

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: September 26, 2011 20:05

[news.sky.com]

Pink Floyd Porker Takes To The Skies Again
2:43pm UK, Monday September 26, 2011

Pink Floyd are recreating their iconic Animals album sleeve by floating a flying pig over Battersea Power Station - more than 35 years after the stunt was first performed.

The inflatable pig first flew above the London landmark in 1976 for the band's Animals LP.

The event marks the release of remastered copies of the band's albums along with previously unreleased material.

Unfortunately, the pig used in the original shoot has been declared unfit to fly.

Instead, a brand new, high frequency, welded PVC pig has been made for the occasion.

The original cover shoot took place over three days but on the second day the helium-filled pig broke free and drifted over to a field in Kent.

The new shoot will be staged on a different side of the decommissioned power station to the cover due to partial demolition and temporary buildings in the area.

The 30ft-long porker, which was tethered to the ground, was filled with 12 canisters of gas.

As well as the reissues, the band's 14 studio albums will be available digitally and in a box set from today.

There will also be lavish new versions of Dark Side Of The Moon coming out in November.

The label EMI stated in May that the massive reissue campaign, dubbed "Why Pink Floyd...?," aims to broaden the famed British band's legacy.

Pink Floyd has sold more than 200 million albums worldwide.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-26 20:12 by Massimo68.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: September 26, 2011 20:12

F*cking Foo Fighters - whatever happened to that 2-year sabbatical they promised to go on? Ubiquitous @#$%&.

Date: September 26, 2011 20:19

Claire_M
F*cking Foo Fighters - whatever happened to that 2-year sabbatical they promised to go on? Ubiquitous @#$%&.

lmfao! peace.

Date: September 26, 2011 21:59

Claire_M
Same could be said for you.

Date: September 26, 2011 22:01

Massimo68

I have always had a soft spot in my hardened heart for that pig...

The Pink Floyd Animals concert was one the best ever, top 20.... before we headed to the show..... while I was waiting for everyone to get ready, at someone elses house.... and they were all taking showers, doing their hair, etc etc... I actually sat down with "Animals" and listened to the entire album, start to finish, as I read all the words... and I "got it"...

...then we went to the concert, and from the wicked "end to end surround sound system" (my first) (where they "flew" a jet (sound) directly above/across the arena before the show even started) ... to them playing the whole album..... and seeing all the inflatables... esp the song "Dogs" where they guy's life flys over the stage in infaltable and eventually is dragged down by the stone, as he is deflated... to the BIG PIG flying across the arena, red eyes blinking... it was awesome.... of course, my sweet sweet girlfriend at the time probably helps the memory...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-26 23:15 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: September 26, 2011 23:13

I was on my way to work this morning........and there it was!

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: September 27, 2011 01:17

sweetcharmedlife
Claire_M
Same could be said for you.

To quote Alec Baldwin, go fudge yourself! You post more often than I do.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 27, 2011 04:35

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 27, 2011 05:32

Johnny Rotten was "discovered" when a friend of Malcom McLaren stopped him when he saw Rotten walking down the street wearing an "I HATE PINK FLOYD" T-shirt. I couldn't agree more.

Date: September 27, 2011 07:20

Animals is a great really under apperciated album. Don't have that one in the collection. Gonna have to pick that one up.

Date: September 27, 2011 07:59

sweetcharmedlife
Animals is a great really under apperciated album. Don't have that one in the collection. Gonna have to pick that one up.
thumbs up

Hmmmmmm.... it really is a good album... I have not listend to it in a long time, and your post had me going looking for "whats up"....
Animals only has 5 songs on it,
Side one 1. "Pigs on the Wing 1" 2. "Dogs"
Side two 1. "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" 2. "Sheep" 3. "Pigs on the Wing 2"

The Animals tour was really called In the flesh, and (as I recalled) they played the whole Animals album.... and (Id forgotten) then they played Wish you were here... then a couple of other songs... of course I am using memory aids (web pages) typing that... I really dont like using wiki as a referance but sometimes it is as good as any, just dont bet more than $1.00 on any of the words being facts without having another (4) sourse(s).

Fun wiki Animals pages
Animals the album - [en.wikipedia.org])
that link does not want to work perfect, but it almost take you there. just click again on the page
In the Flesh tour - [en.wikipedia.org]

and here is an interesting page, ones mans "take" on the Animals album-
[www.ingsoc.com]

and what the heck, lets toss in another couple of songs

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-27 08:14 by Max'sKansasCity.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1877
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home