Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: I believe we all agree that...
Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: September 29, 2010 01:01

ManuelStones
… whenever we hear one of their song on the radio, tv, film, bar, etc. we get pumped.
… Gimme Shelter will always give us chills.
… Exile is the greatest double lp ever.
… Hot Rocks is the greatest Greatest Hits Compilation ever.
… they are indeed a way of life.
… after 50 years, it is a miracle they are still alive, healthy and together.
… they belong to the Good side.
… even though “sex, drugs and R&R” was their motto, they are all about passion, discipline and hard work.
… it is also a miracle that there’s still a possibility a reunion with Taylor and Wyman.
… time proved Ronnie was the best selection after Taylor's departure.
… Mick is the best front man ever.
… Keith was/is/will forever be the prototype of Rock star.
… Charlie is the most intriguing Rock personality ever.
… Ronnie & Keith is the best 1-2 guitars ever.
… the Glimmer Twins are the best writing partnership ever.
… during their gigs, we have experienced (entertainment speaking) the best hours of our lives.
… we all feel proud of being their fans.
… their vocation is bigger than their egos.
… they are just the Greatest Band Ever!!!

Agree?

YES YES YES YES YES YES YESthumbs up

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 29, 2010 01:21

T&A
ChrisM
T&A
i never understood the whole "greatest," "best ever," blah blah blah stuff. it's all individual preference - there are NO BESTS or GREATESTS, only favorites. it ain't a contest.
I have often put forward this belief here but still threads with the titles "best this' and 'best that' persist when the what is really meant is favorite or in ones opinion. "Best" and "greatest" are subjective terms and unless one provides the criteria for determining why something is the best or greatest the question then becomes one of opinion based on personal preference only. So, do I agree with what ManuelStones wrote? Only in part, based on my own opinion of course...

right. i sometimes think it's one of those "insecurity" issues that causes people to proclaim things to be the greatest - somehow folks get their identities wrapped up in being fans of "the best" of this or that. i'm a big stones fan, of course, but they might be the worst band of all time for all i care. what the hell diff does it make?

The whole "best" and "greatest" business and above all the "top five such-and-such precisely rated with marks out of 10" leaves me absolutely cold. I love most of the Stones' catalogue, but life's too short to worry about deciding whether I like Jigsaw Puzzle 0.27% more than I like Stray Cat Blues...

Greatest Band Ever? I'm pretty sure that not everyone around here even agrees that the Rolling Stones are a band!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 29, 2010 01:25

It's Only Rock 'n Roll, but I like what ManuelStones said

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: September 29, 2010 02:54

Green Lady

Greatest Band Ever? I'm pretty sure that not everyone around here even agrees that the Rolling Stones are a band!

if they are not a band, then what are they?

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Date: September 29, 2010 03:01

marchbaby
Green Lady

According to some people, they are a bunch of musicians who once used to be a band but aren't any more - I should say at once that I don't personally believe this, but that's what I meant by my post.

Date: September 29, 2010 03:03

Green Lady
marchbaby
Green Lady

According to some people, they are a bunch of musicians who once used to be a band but aren't any more - I should say at once that I don't personally believe this, but that's what I meant by my post.

to me they are still a band, they never publicly said they were disbanding or anything like that.

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 29, 2010 03:16

… whenever we hear one of their song on the radio, tv, film, bar, etc. we get pumped.

I don't unless it's something a bit obscure, like She's So Cold. That's about it.

… Gimme Shelter will always give us chills.

True dat.

… Exile is the greatest double lp ever.

That will always be open for debate. Therefor, no, it's not. It is, however, a great album.

… Hot Rocks is the greatest Greatest Hits Compilation ever.

It IS pretty damn good. But the Stones, from what I understand, had nothing to with it. I'm more akin to Sucking In The Seventies, Time Waits For No One and Rewind actually.

… they are indeed a way of life.

Only for those that don't have a life.

… after 50 years, it is a miracle they are still alive, healthy and together.

Well, if you want to get technical, they haven't actually worked for 50 years together...

… they belong to the Good side.

If Keith Richards isn't the Darth Vader of rock...

… even though “sex, drugs and R&R” was their motto, they are all about passion, discipline and hard work.

Passion? That left lonnnnnnnggggg agoooooo. It's ONLY about the money and the ego now.

… it is also a miracle that there’s still a possibility a reunion with Taylor and Wyman.

And that is also one gigantic Diet Coke fantasy.

… time proved Ronnie was the best selection after Taylor's departure.

Well that's convenient innit?

… Mick is the best front man ever.

I think music history will say that but I'm sure others will not. But I do agree.

… Keith was/is/will forever be the prototype of Rock star.

Actually, I don't think so. I think for a while he was actually above being that while truly being below it. But I get your drift.

… Charlie is the most intriguing Rock personality ever.

Agree.

… Ronnie & Keith is the best 1-2 guitars ever.

They have been. They haven't been. Ever? No. Maybe in another 100 years people will say that.

… the Glimmer Twins are the best writing partnership ever.

Seeing that they are thieves - maybe. But Lennon/McCartney will always get the nod.

… during their gigs, we have experienced (entertainment speaking) the best hours of our lives.

Are you smoking something? Snorting something? Injecting something? Drinking something?

… we all feel proud of being their fans.

I don't brag about the money I've spent buying their records and singles and videos and the various bootlegs. After a while it can look very silly and immature. It's just a band for shit's sake.

… their vocation is bigger than their egos.

WRONG.

… they are just the Greatest Band Ever!!!

Have they ever won a title that says so? There are no trophies in music. They probably have been the GBE on a night or two in various years but seeing that they released such trudge as Their Satanic Majesties Request and Dirty Work along with quite a few songs - no way dude. Even Keith will disagree with that one.

Agree?

You do have enthusiasm. That's good.

Date: September 29, 2010 03:22

marchbaby
Green Lady
marchbaby
Green Lady

to me they are still a band, they never publicly said they were disbanding or anything like that.

Of course they haven't said they are disbanding, and when they are working together they are still a band, and a great one. But it can be argued that sooner or later musicians who don't spend enough time together making music will no longer be a functioning band, whatever their official public status may be. I don't think that time has come yet - it may never come - but if you read many threads on this board you'll find quite a few posts arguing that the Stones have been a band in name only since [ insert year or album of your choice here ].

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 29, 2010 03:25

Green Lady
I love most of the Stones' catalogue, but life's too short to worry about deciding whether I like Jigsaw Puzzle 0.27% more than I like Stray Cat Blues...

Well what a load that is off my mind. I thought I was the only one! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I like Jigsaw Puzzle .99% more than all of Some Girls, Emotional Rescue, Dirty Work and quite a few songs from each album afterwords. Of course, that's not even actually 1 percent but it's close.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: September 29, 2010 03:28

bernardanderson
beelyboy, turn off your computer. posting and rambling while drunk is annoying for us to read.
i have a new phone and im learning. ur annoying pedantic and irrelevant when ur at ur best w top gear so...be happy bernie . pop a button or two off ur leotards champ.

beelyboy...Think About it

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: September 29, 2010 03:34

<<i never understood the whole "greatest," "best ever," blah blah blah stuff.>>

Me neither. And I'll add all of these 'vs'-type of arguments, comparisons etc
I find it deeply trivial to discuss music - or any other art-form for that matter - in this fashion

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 29, 2010 03:37

BustedTrousers,
Your'e so persnickity.
I got the chills reading that list.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 29, 2010 03:51

Green Lady
marchbaby
Green Lady
marchbaby
Green Lady

Of course they haven't said they are disbanding, and when they are working together they are still a band, and a great one. But it can be argued that sooner or later musicians who don't spend enough time together making music will no longer be a functioning band, whatever their official public status may be. I don't think that time has come yet - it may never come - but if you read many threads on this board you'll find quite a few posts arguing that the Stones have been a band in name only since [ 1983 ].

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: September 29, 2010 05:44

Beelyboy
bernardanderson
beelyboy, turn off your computer. posting and rambling while drunk is annoying for us to read.
i have a new phone and im learning. ur annoying pedantic and irrelevant when ur at ur best w top gear so...be happy bernie . pop a button or two off ur leotards champ.
come back when you've downloaded an i-phone app that provides you with intelligible and clever retorts.

Date: September 29, 2010 07:37

duke richardson
bernardanderson
beelyboy, turn off your computer. posting and rambling while drunk is annoying for us to read.[/quot
some of the Stones' songs have got the silliest lyrics.

"I hope you find it funny
that I ain't got no money" for example...
wow a twin act bozo and slowzo. scrape u offa my shoes . thats clear enuff methnks. jvst i believe me neither of u are interesting enuf for me to trak and slam. my my the kind of joy boys who love getting dttmbsses kikked. kinky boygppgpgpg. puke bitbhardsm and his sm lover boy burndy tel ur mama Tgganks.asseredumb. hey thanjs i droqing bi.ur fascination is flauering.>grinning smiley<

beelyboy...Think About it

Date: September 29, 2010 07:50

Puke and burnie wat a pair. ah love is strange. but im glad ur here for perspective and a teaching moment. girls do not do meth when pregnant . burnie and puke deserved to be normal. they had every right to not be the kind of boys who would grow up to be impotent predatory fatherless twinks but hey shit happens. and i do mean shit.

Date: September 29, 2010 08:00

Puke and burnie wat a pair. ah love is strange. but im glad ur here for perspective and a teaching moment. girls do not do meth when pregnant . burnie and puke deserved to be normal. they had every right to not be the kind of boys who would grow up to be impotent predatory fatherless twinks but hey shit happens. and i do mean shit. i guess the fact that u brutal idiots were made to look exactly like the dupes u are wen slamming me on 71tele big disproved lying banned thread has nothi g to do with ur continuing to follow me around with ugly hater bullshit. u r exposed as he is. so go high school. great. like there arent enuf @#$%& in the world already. guess u shudda kept ur mouyhs shut and not exposed urself as dweebs. wow must hurt! good.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 29, 2010 10:00

Quite a lot of agreements going on here... I need to consult my lawyer first...

- Doxa

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 29, 2010 10:37

Yesssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 29, 2010 15:06

T&A
ChrisM
T&A

right. i sometimes think it's one of those "insecurity" issues that causes people to proclaim things to be the greatest - somehow folks get their identities wrapped up in being fans of "the best" of this or that. i'm a big stones fan, of course, but they might be the worst band of all time for all i care. what the hell diff does it make?

They're the best band in the world...and the worst band in the world.

That, for me, has always been half the charm ;^)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-29 18:46 by Spud.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: September 29, 2010 15:23

nicely put

shake hands

Posted by: likarollinstone ()
Date: September 29, 2010 16:41

Amen.

We need to canonize this. to avoid any herecies. smiling smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 29, 2010 21:27

IMO Brian Jones is the most intriguing Stone. Everytime you think you've got him pegged as some miscreant who spilled his talent seed on the ground, some one else comes forward (anita) and describes him as an intellectual. "A bunch of lovely guys". He was here and gone so fast that it's taken years to put together the pieces of his short existence. This is the man who introduced Keith Richards to Robert Johnson. So much of the group's dark aura comes from Brian, so much of their sartorial flair. He may have had deep psychological issues, but, like Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd, he may be long gone, but his spirit inhabits everything the band does. Except those cheesy Chuck Berryish throw away number or two they throw on every album now.

Date: September 29, 2010 21:59

gosh i love brian too ... and yes like u seem to ... i still feel his spirit inhabiting the stones ... but to slam the berry stuff and similar 12 bar rockers dosent make sense to me as brians exuberant rhythm guitar work on these and similar numbers is for me a hugely foundational ... and happily continuing ... element that makes the stones so ferocious and driving.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 1, 2010 11:56

I agree about 25% of the statements, but think it's a nice manifesto and list anyway. Gimme Shelter literally gives me goosbumps. I don't think they're disciplined or hardworking - Mick and maybe Charlie (I would say Charlie is professional, not sure about hardworking). Keith doesn't appear to be either, particularly, tho he used to be both. I think there's people who appreciate something about the Stones' ethos and other people who don't care at all...but not a way of life, for me at least. I love Exile. It stands on its own but I too don't care about comparing albums or bands in that way.

stupidguy2
BustedTrousers,
Your'e so persnickity.
I got the chills reading that list.

Interesting...you mean scary-feelings chills, or chills of admiration for his perceived persnicketty-ness? I thought it was detailed but not persnicketty. I have extra sensitive persnicketty-dar and I didn't pick anything up winking smiley

Ah and then this...

Beelyboy
kinky boygppgpgpg. puke bitbhardsm and his sm lover boy burndy tel ur mama Tgganks.asseredumb. hey thanjs i droqing bi.ur fascination is flauering.>grinning smiley<

Possibly my favorite post of 2010.

Segments might make it onto a tshirt, maybe...

i droqing bi.ur fascination is flauering.>grinning smiley<

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-01 12:05 by swiss.

Date: October 1, 2010 12:18

whoo hoo u brokerd ze code. very flatiurrngg. mee buyyfirRST TEE ANDD DAM THEcost matey1! grinning smiley i gudd w nu fone noww 4sho butt dey may bee know gooinng bok. wurd!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1088
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home