Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
I Am So Proud Of My Rolling Stones!
Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: September 19, 2011 05:11

Just sittin here on a Sunday evening watching my 'Shine A Light' DVD. What an incredible performance and sure glad they didn't put a bunch of homely hardcores (like myself) down front! The Stones and Hot Chicks, doesn't get any better than that!

Re: I Am So Proud Of My Rolling Stones!
Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: September 19, 2011 05:23

I found this show to be quite terrible, even by that tour standards.

Date: September 19, 2011 05:25

stones78
I found this show to be quite terrible, even by that tour standards.

I saw it on IMAX and took a bunch of non Stones fans with me that are now fans!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 19, 2011 06:43

1) The Rolling Stones aren't yours to be proud of.

2) It gets a whole lot better than Shine a Light, starting with Ladies and Gentlemen.

I saw SaL on an IMAX screen with some non-fan friends who said afterwards that I'm a better guitarist than Keef. Not a chance that that's true, but my hero's skills have diminished rather badly.

I bought the DVD of Shine a Light when it first came out, but couldn't make it all the way through it for a couple years. The performances are indeed cringe-worthy and make me hope they stick to archival releases (without any overdubs).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-19 07:02 by ab.

Date: September 19, 2011 07:06

Yeah, Shine a Light wasn't that good at all

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: September 19, 2011 10:30

I love Shine A Light. And as for the models? Well, frankly I'd rather look at some fit young women than a bunch of grizzly old guys who think they should have been there for all their loyalty to the Stones!!

Those babes rocked. In fact if this Children of The Beatles/Stones thing ever gets going I hope they flood the audience with models.

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: September 19, 2011 13:26

Watched the film again last week for the first time since it's initial release and it's a flop. From start to finish a complete mistake. Keith is an embarassment throughout. All that mugging for the camera and dodgy noodling on the guitar. Mick just seems on autopilot and I'm pretty sure he can be seen reading the lyrics from a monitor on several tracks. As for the audience they don't really seem that into it. The girls, I assume were brought in to demonstrate that the Stones main audience are people in the late teens or early twenties but if you watch closely its obvious they're not fans. They don't know the music and aren't overly impressed with the band at all.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 19, 2011 13:45

Keith's arthritis has diminished his technical skills a bit, but his experience compensates for it. The arrangements are getting better. It was always about FEEL anyway.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 19, 2011 15:26

sorry,did not like it at all.
jagger way over the top, and the band, like the Vegas act they are nowadays.
No, did not give me satisfaction.
i have high hopes for the Some girls show-movie anyhow !!
bye
jeroen

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: September 19, 2011 16:32

Sal was a very good concert and the movie is very nice, too. In my opinion is just we donĀ“t suck lemon and enjoy the music.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: September 19, 2011 16:44

Champagne was good, the rest was crap.

Date: September 19, 2011 17:07

Vocalion

If you think all Sal crap, sorry. But I am not sure you are a Stones fan.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 19, 2011 17:14

lot to like, but I didn't like all the contrived 'opening song' sequene..

Love the additional tracks, esp. 'Undercover'

the banter with Buddy is cool, so is the Bill and Hilary Clinton scene..

at this point, how can the Stones best present themselves?

the theatre concerts are the best, to me...small and elegant and with good sound/lighting,

no gimmicks

Date: September 19, 2011 17:15

Vocalion

I liked As Tears Go By, Imagination, Shattered, All Down The Line (why is this version crap?) and You Got The Silver, too.

Surely not the best show(s) from The Stones, but it had its moments.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: September 19, 2011 19:02

When Mick stars talking about Champagne & Reefer and how it was done by Muddy, etc. it makes me cringe, those girls in the front rows probably have no idea who's Muddy Waters, who's Buddy Guy, etc.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: September 19, 2011 19:29

Nothing can match on Ladies & Gentleman!!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 19, 2011 19:33

DandelionPowderman
Vocalion

I liked As Tears Go By, Imagination, Shattered, All Down The Line (why is this version crap?) and You Got The Silver, too.

Surely not the best show(s) from The Stones, but it had its moments.

I like to add She Was Hot...

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: September 19, 2011 19:40

I love SAL. i wish they would have worked more on some of the outtakes and added some more depth and new arrangements. I still lived it!

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: phd ()
Date: September 19, 2011 20:12

Scorsese filmed The Stones at their best in a small theater. This movie contains, to me, a lot of memorable and funny pieces of Stones history. JJF, She was Hot, You Got The Silver and BS are tops. A great moment. Thank you Martin for all you did to popularize The Stones.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 19, 2011 20:14

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-19 22:58 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 19, 2011 20:25

phd
Scorsese filmed The Stones at their best in a small theater. This movie contains, to me, a lot of memorable and funny pieces of Stones history. JJF, She was Hot, You Got The Silver and BS are tops. A great moment. Thank you Martin for all you did to popularize The Stones.

The Stones at their best??????????
hahahahahahahahahahaha
where have you been?
bye jeroen

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 19, 2011 20:44

stones78
When Mick stars talking about Champagne & Reefer and how it was done by Muddy, etc. it makes me cringe, those girls in the front rows probably have no idea who's Muddy Waters, who's Buddy Guy, etc.

By the look of them, I'm pretty unconvinced they even knew who Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood and Charlie Watts were. Most of them seemed to be more preoccupied with farting about with their cellphones!

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 19, 2011 21:22

carlostones10
Vocalion

Then just what is a Stones fan carlostone10? Because you are a blind Stones fan, if blind can be applied to hearing then you're blind at what is in SAL. But if you like it, well then, you like it. Most of us know they are nothing like they used to be - even recently in their history - but it's a real far stretch to say that SAL is the Stones at their best. They played some great songs but they didn't play them great - by any stretch of any imagination.

Although Faraway Eyes is hilarious with Keith being a total idiot and screwing up the words and goofing off to whoever. Can he not read the teleprompter?

Date: September 19, 2011 22:27

DragonSky
carlostones10
Vocalion

Then just what is a Stones fan carlostone10? Because you are a blind Stones fan, if blind can be applied to hearing then you're blind at what is in SAL. But if you like it, well then, you like it. Most of us know they are nothing like they used to be - even recently in their history - but it's a real far stretch to say that SAL is the Stones at their best. They played some great songs but they didn't play them great - by any stretch of any imagination.

Although Faraway Eyes is hilarious with Keith being a total idiot and screwing up the words and goofing off to whoever. Can he not read the teleprompter?

Dear friend, I am not blind. But if I was blind, no problem. because I just need listen the music.
But what I can say is I am a happy person. I enjoy the music and I not transfrer my personal frustrations and my personal problems for the music. Sorry, but a lot of people suck a lot of lemon all days. And I just enjoy the muscic.
Good luck for you and more sugar in your life.

Date: September 19, 2011 22:43

thewatchman
Just sittin here on a Sunday evening watching my 'Shine A Light' DVD. What an incredible performance and sure glad they didn't put a bunch of homely hardcores (like myself) down front! The Stones and Hot Chicks, doesn't get any better than that!

thewatchman,

I am sure you had a great time. Congratulation. I will do the same very soon. I will drink a good beer and enjoy the most fabulous music in the world: The Rolling Stones.

Have an amazing week.

Regards from Brazil.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 19, 2011 22:54

thewatchman
Just sittin here on a Sunday evening watching my 'Shine A Light' DVD.

Sounds good. Just enjoying the little joys in life.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: September 20, 2011 04:24

ab
1) The Rolling Stones aren't yours to be proud of.

2) It gets a whole lot better than Shine a Light, starting with Ladies and Gentlemen.

I saw SaL on an IMAX screen with some non-fan friends who said afterwards that I'm a better guitarist than Keef. Not a chance that that's true, but my hero's skills have diminished rather badly.

I bought the DVD of Shine a Light when it first came out, but couldn't make it all the way through it for a couple years. The performances are indeed cringe-worthy and make me hope they stick to archival releases (without any overdubs).

I view the Rolling Stones as a gift to the world. Since I have accepted that gift there is a sense of ownership if that makes any sense to you? Can you honestly say (as a fan) you have never referred to them as MY Rolling Stones?

I love just about all my Stones concert DVD's pretty much equally with the one exception being LSTNT which I think is absolutely awful. Maybe if I was a musician I would view them differently, I don't know. Most concert goers are not musicians and therefore tend to be a lot less critical of individual performances. To me I judge the overall performance and sound. I listen to all my DVD's with a set of Bose headphones and to me they all sound fantastic with the one exception I mentioned. How did you think they sounded at Rio and Austin on the Biggest Bang DVD? Austin was just nine/ten days before the Beacon performances.

Date: September 20, 2011 04:30

Send It To me
Keith's arthritis has diminished his technical skills a bit, but his experience compensates for it. The arrangements are getting better. It was always about FEEL anyway.

For me it has always been about the overall performance and sound. I honestly wouldn't know good playing from bad playing unless it was glaringly obvious. Obviously, whatever Keith is (or isn't) doing isn't messing up the overall performance enough to keep the average concert goer away. I am sure glad I am not a musician and can still enjoy them.

Date: September 20, 2011 04:32

21stcenturystones
Yeah, Shine a Light wasn't that good at all

Just curious, did you like LSTNT better?

Date: September 20, 2011 04:34

Baxter Thwaites
I love Shine A Light. And as for the models? Well, frankly I'd rather look at some fit young women than a bunch of grizzly old guys who think they should have been there for all their loyalty to the Stones!!

Those babes rocked. In fact if this Children of The Beatles/Stones thing ever gets going I hope they flood the audience with models.

thumbs up

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1593
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home