Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
The Sunday 26th August 2007 thread
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 2, 2011 17:37

OK, so who was there ? And what did you think (if anything) about the possibility that what you were witnessing might not be repeated EVER again ? Gulp ! Or did the thought not even enter your mind ?

I was, and it was only actually when those family members came on at the end that my thoughts suddenly turned to that very possibility. My overall sentiment, if indeed it turns out to be so, would not be one of sadness particularly, merely one of giving thanks for the music they have bestowed upon us, the great run they gave us in the way of live performances, and above all else - immense satisfaction from having been at the O2 Arena on that particular day in late August 2007.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Re: The Sunday 26th August 2007 thread
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 2, 2011 17:58

Well, I wasn't there, but when I heard of the family members joining onstage I also thought that could be it.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: April 2, 2011 18:15

I was there, of course.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 2, 2011 18:18

I was there. A lot of Mixed Emotions that evening. Especially with all that family on stage. After the show ended, walking outside, it surely hit my mind that this actually could have been The Last Time.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: April 2, 2011 18:47

I was there!
Very emotional day when I'm thinking about it today!
Remember all the whoo - whooos at the exit towards to the tube station!
I hope that this night is not going to be The Last Time !
But sadly is quite possible...
I need another tour!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-02 18:48 by dimrstone.

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: April 2, 2011 18:50

I was there and had come from USA. Saw them first at Slane in Ireland then on to London. Of the three shows at O2, I picked that one specifically because it was the tours last show. I've actually thought any of the tours since Voodoo Lounge could be there last.

I made sure I took a couple of pictures of the conclusion where they all take a bow.

I honestly felt not so much that they'd retire, but was afraid with all the time they take off between tours, that something medical could prevent any further tours. I'm certainly glad that's not the case.

I admit I didn't associate the family members at the end with last tour, I was thinking more in line with last show of THAT tour, being back in London and so on.

Sad in some ways if it's over, but hardly any performers in history (especially a rock band) gives their fans that kind of run. God bless em all.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: April 2, 2011 18:59

I was there. Bill Wyman walked very close to my seat. I did wonder if he had come to witness the end. All the family members on stage seemed very poignant.

In all honesty they can't be better than they were that night. They should leave it there.

Posted by: jimpietryga1 ()
Date: April 2, 2011 19:00

I had to be at the last show....for now......

Posted by: jimpietryga1 ()
Date: April 2, 2011 19:03

and the final bow....for now...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 2, 2011 19:05

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 2, 2011 19:05

I was there - yes I had in mind that it could be the last ever Rolling Stones concert when entering the concert, and even more so when leaving.... oh maybe you mean the last show for the Rolling Stones? - Yes for them as well

Posted by: phd ()
Date: April 2, 2011 19:12

I was there with my family. For the last time, it seems. But who knows. If Keith wishes it and spend not his time writing books.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 2, 2011 19:48

Family members being onstage at the last show of a tour isnt new. Cologne '99 being an example. So I didnt think much of it at the time and still dont. The main difference - and the most significant factor in showing the band's age - being that this time it was their grandchildren as well. Plus, as Woody24 says, they were in London, so more of their family would have been around. They always are when they play there.

To be honest, when I saw Bill Wyman in the Rattlesnake Inn before the show, I thought it was more significant as he'd publicly said he'd be agreeable to guesting with the Stones at a special event like a final show. However, as he didnt play, it wasn't an issue.

I dont believe that the Stones went on stage that night thinking that this would be their final performance, although obviously it'll always be the case that they realise that it COULD be. As said above, I think that something 'medically' related happening in the lengthy downtime between tours is more likely to be the main factor in them ending things. I've always believed that when the Stones DO perform their final show, it's something we'll only be aware of retrospectively.

That said, when they left the stage that night, whilst I did expect to see them tour again, I didnt think that four years later we'd still be wondering when the next Stones tour would be. Leaving it that long at their age is probably the worst career move they've ever made if they're serious about touring again - unless there have been other factors beyond their control in that time which have necessitated such a lengthy break.

Date: April 2, 2011 19:49

Baxter Thwaites
I was there. Bill Wyman walked very close to my seat. I did wonder if he had come to witness the end. All the family members on stage seemed very poignant.

In all honesty they can't be better than they were that night. They should leave it there.

<<< In all honesty they can't be better than they were that night. They should leave it there >>>

That's the key question, will they ?

Date: April 2, 2011 19:49

jimpietryga1
I had to be at the last show....for now......

Truly super photo, thanks for posting

Posted by: phd ()
Date: April 2, 2011 20:22

Gazza
...I dont believe that the Stones went on stage that night thinking that this would be their final performance, although obviously it'll always be the case that they realise that it COULD be....
That said, when they left the stage that night, whilst I did expect to see them tour again, I didnt think that four years later we'd still be wondering when the next Stones tour would be....
Fair view. That's why I do come on that outstanding website from time to time. My deep impression was that Mick really under control that night and enjoyed to be there, while Keith was a "little" out of side.

Posted by: arizojp ()
Date: April 2, 2011 20:27

I was there too.
And when Mick disappeared from the stage, I really felt deeply inside me that it was the last bow, the last show.
The end of the road.
4 years after, my feelings are the same.
And this image is printed in my memory :

© X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-03 12:01 by arizojp.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 2, 2011 20:32

Baxter Thwaites

They were far better on the first two nights. The third show, whilst very good in it's own right, was phoned in by comparison and to me felt a bit anti-climactic. They'd had their end of tour party the night before for some reason - maybe thats why it had a 'lets get it over and done with' feel.

First two nights were absolutely wonderful and saw them play with an intensity that was lacking for much of that tour. I think most people seem to have preferred the second night, but I personally thought the first one had the edge on it.

I take your point though. They ended on a high. I dont have a lot of confidence on them being able to attain that level again, after such a lengthy break.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-02 20:33 by Gazza.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 2, 2011 20:33

I was there, but didn't think it would be their final show.

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: April 2, 2011 20:55

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 2, 2011 20:59

I was at all 3 and I agree the first 2 shows were great and the final night a little forced. I've got a feeling that's it. No new album no new tour though we will still get new "product" from time to time. Sticky Fingers deluxe coming soon anyone ...?

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 2, 2011 21:23

I was there. Together with my old mate Salar.
Those were the days.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 2, 2011 21:34

A memorable evening. It was hard not to wonder if this was the last. As much as I'd love another tour, deep down I'm pessimistic - more so as time passes.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: April 2, 2011 21:47

I was there... made a Boston weekend out of it. I'm hoping that I'll do it again.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: April 3, 2011 00:15

Hmmm,

Well as some have said, the first two nights were definitely better. The third night was still great but I guess that as it was the last show of the tour, deep down I had very high hopes which, combined with a monster hangover (birthday party the night before, silly boy) made for a bit of an anti-climax.

Still, it was a very good show, and great to have seen the last night of the tour. Hate the pun but certainly mixed emotions. The 'aftershow party' at the savoy after the 2nd show was fantastic, apart from being on my 30th birthday, it was just a great post-show get together, meeting so many stones fans from all over the world. However, after the last show, there was a lot of hanging around which resulted in nothing.

Whatever happens, it was a privilege to be at all three and to think, looking back, that I may have been at the last ever run of stones gigs. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong...

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 3, 2011 00:15

Had my best ever seat - we're not counting Shepherd's Bush or Brixton here as they were standing - for a Stones show in the middle of row 8. And better still I got my camera in and took about 100 shots.

Hope this won't be the last shot I ever get of them.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: April 3, 2011 00:31

Fantastic photo Silver Dagger!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: April 3, 2011 00:43

Moot point

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: April 3, 2011 01:02

I was there.
After returning home from the 1st show,I thought I'd never see them again. I made a last minute decision to go to this one. Train and Hotel booked ,I decided I'd get whatever ticket I could when I got there.

Nothing doing near the Dome ,but was put in contact with a german guy who was selling his partner's ticket A block row 10 ! I don't know if he's a poster here,but I'll always be grateful !

As stated elsewhere it was not the best of the 3 shows and Keith seemed "unsteady" to me, but I wouldn't have missed it. She was Hot was a surprise.

If they tour again - fine if Keith is better than that night, if not I don't think it wise to carry on...............They owe us nothing.

I have a video clip of Satisfaction I took that night. I'll try to upload it later

scuk

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: April 3, 2011 01:07

a few more

sc uk

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1474
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home