Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Brian Wilson, Bridgewater Hall, Manchester, Tuesday 14th September 2011
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: September 14, 2011 16:32

Hello,

If there was a better live band playing *anywhere* on planet earth last night, then I want to hear them! The Big Man and band are back on top form- it's that simple.

First 45 minutes is Brian's take on Gershwin followed by 90 minutes of so-called 'greatest hits' i.e. just the pick of an extraordinary catalogue of songs. Plus he was sounding great and even smiling occasionally.
Put bluntly, I sang my nuts off last night: it doesn't get any better, hah-hah!

What about this for a setlist?

1.Rhapsody In Blue
2.The Like in I Love You
3.Summertime
4.I Loves You, Porgy
5.I Got Plenty o' Nuttin'
6.It Ain't Necessarily So
7.'S Wonderful Play
8.They Can't Take That Away From Me
9.Love Is Here to Stay
10.I've Got a Crush on You
11.I Got Rhythm
12.Someone to Watch Over Me
13.Nothing But Love
14.Rhapsody in Blue (reprise)
15.California Girls
16.Dance, Dance, Dance
17.Catch a Wave
18.Surfer Girl
19."Mary Had A Little Lamb"
20.In My Room Play Video
21.Don't Worry Baby
22.Do You Wanna Dance?
23.Do It Again
24.Darlin'
25.All Summer Long
26.Breakaway
27.I Get Around
28.Your Imagination
29.Sail On, Sailor
30.Pet Sounds
31.Sloop John B
32.Wouldn't It Be Nice
33.God Only Knows
34.Heroes and Villains
35.Good Vibrations Play Video
Encore:
36.Johnny B. Goode
37.Help Me, Rhonda
38.Barbara Ann
39.Surfin' USA
40.Fun, Fun, Fun
Encore:
41.Love and Mercy

The last time I posted about BW here seems about 20-odd years ago: actually it was after the last time that I saw Brian & The Wondermints at Kenwood House in June 2008.

It wasn't how I wanted to leave it after seeing around 20 shows previously- these guys had given me some of the best concerts that I've ever seen by anyone, at anytime. The Kenwood show was a let-down in terms of the sound out front (I was fromt row which may not have helped) plus I really missed seeing and hearing the Tasty Brothers (drummer Jimmy Hines and bassist Bob Lizik) too.

Well, last night there was no Taylor Mills either but I've got to say that the boys really raised the roof off the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester last night, regardless. It was also so marvellous to see the Big Man giving a little smile now-and-then too...I can only hope that he is aware of just how much joy that his band and his music give to people. So, thanks Brian.

The only thing now is do I leave that as my last BW show beacause it was a stormer and it blew away the slightly disappointing memory of Kenwood out of sight, or do I wedge on down to the RFH this weekend: so, so tempted, hah-hah!

Cheers,

Simon.

Re: O/T Brian Wilson, Bridgewater Hall, Manchester, Tuesday 14th September 2011
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 14, 2011 16:36

Wow!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1430
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home