Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: What Would You Change If You Were Managing The Rolling Stones?
Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: September 24, 2010 04:32

Bliss
All of the above, plus a few more...

For the last remaining years, I would do as much as possible to include Bill and Mick Taylor, both for concert appearances and in the studio.

I would try to see to it that the Stones behaved with some self-restraint regarding the public; ie, no sniping about each other in the press and no disgraceful antics like getting arrested for beating up girlfriends.

I would make the website MUCH more interactive and fan-friendly. I would start to treat the fans like the huge asset they are instead of just suckers to be squeezed for money.

I would stop the release of sub-par material like much of ABB and insist that they work on it til they came up with something decent.

I would not allow self-indulgent behaviour eg being drunk or stoned onstage.

Mistress Bliss knows how to crack the whip!

Bliss,

Absolutely! Great post! Seems like most of us are pretty much in agreement so far.

Date: September 24, 2010 04:35

Koen
Make them a member on iorr and have them answer all the questions about recording, equipment, previous and upcoming tours, etc.

Koen,

Damned good idea. Wouldn't hurt them a bit. Would be a good PR move on their part to connect with their fans.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: September 24, 2010 07:19

I would get Keith and Charlie to plan the next tour - with the instructions " no vegas style tour, do what the two of you want, no stadiums"

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: September 24, 2010 07:53

I would tell them not to play "Miss You'. "HTW", "IORR", "TD",Satisfaction", on the next tour. Fresh water needed in a somewhat stale pond. The next recording would have a different producer with some kick ass Mick Taylor riffs on it.If no MT, turn Ronnie up in the mix and let him rip. Any song resembling "Infamy" or Streets of Love" are out. Jagger/Richard harmonies make a comeback and no one else in supporting vocals. Pure Stones. That is it. Keep it like the old days and let it rock.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 24, 2010 11:11

Justin
1. Lower ticket prices (for whatever shows/tours that are left)

2. Open the vaults. Either special edition release a year through the main label or else setup a collectors record label, releasing outtakes and live material a few times a year. Both audio and DVD.

3. Re-release the Stones complete catalog, all getting the deluxe treatment ala the recent Exile (except for any new/old songs fusions). Re-establish (or build from scratch) SOME kind of respect and integrity for the catalog.

4. An end-all/be-all documentary with all living members ala The Beatles Anthology. Get 'em now before they keel over: in one room, in pairs, alone, any combination--whatever. Talk about every damn nook and cranny of their career. I want "According To The Rolling Stones" but on FILM--and then some.

All excellent ideas Justin and clearly what the fans would like to see, given the responses here. Unfortunately "Grandpa" and his friends have yet to come to terms with the fact that they are not 18 anymore and their acceptance of your points 2-4 would mean them acknowledging that they are old codgers!

Date: September 24, 2010 19:53

Midnight Toker
I would tell them not to play "Miss You'. "HTW", "IORR", "TD",Satisfaction", on the next tour. Fresh water needed in a somewhat stale pond. The next recording would have a different producer with some kick ass Mick Taylor riffs on it.If no MT, turn Ronnie up in the mix and let him rip. Any song resembling "Infamy" or Streets of Love" are out. Jagger/Richard harmonies make a comeback and no one else in supporting vocals. Pure Stones. That is it. Keep it like the old days and let it rock.

Agree with everything you have said here except I wish Ronnie was out of the mix completely. He has been an absolute embarrassment for the band over the last year or so. Would love to see MT back in the mix, stranger things have happened.

Date: September 24, 2010 20:06

klrkcr
I would get Keith and Charlie to plan the next tour - with the instructions " no vegas style tour, do what the two of you want, no stadiums"

I agree, time for someone other than Mick to take the lead. The act has grown stale and needs a makeover.

Date: September 24, 2010 20:31

Thanks for all the great ideas. Seems most of us that responded are pretty much in agreement, however, I have to admit that I am a little surprised by the overall lack of interest in this topic. Based on the numbers it very well could be that the majority of Stones fans are satisfied with the status quo of mega tours, and repetitive stadium shows saturated with the same old warhorses tour, after tour, after tour, after tour, after tour, after tour..................................

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 26, 2010 12:20

Do you mean the "majority of Stones fans are satisfied with the status quo of mega tours, and repetitive stadium shows saturated with the same old warhorses tour, after tour, after tour, after tour, after tour, after tour.................................." here at iorr.org or in general?

I think getting rid of Chuck would be the best step - that would be a key component to removing part of the whole Vegas trip.

Get rid of Bernard and Lisa and Blondie. They don't really add anything - it's BORING.

I've always liked the horns but perhaps they need to be tightened up.

Bring back Ian McLagan.

And Ronnie - he needs to keep his eyes open and look at his guitar when he plays. And he also needs to be turned up in the mix to help hide Keith's...playing.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 26, 2010 12:23

YEP!!! that's what Pony Gal always says......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 26, 2010 12:40

Just cut their salary till they release a decent album.
And open the faults

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: September 26, 2010 13:18

And Ronnie - he needs to keep his eyes open and look at his guitar when he plays. And he also needs to be turned up in the mix to help hide Keith's...playing.

Ouch, it hurts

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: September 26, 2010 14:24

Anyone brave enough to even suggest to The Rolling Stones that they could make a few changes.Well ya' can be sure of one thing Mick..Keith..Charlie and Ronnie will all be the judge of that..and even then Mick will make the final decision..
Half the time these managers are only "Yes men" anyway..

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 26, 2010 15:18

I do take on board that this is a Utopian wish list rather than serious managerial suggestions (I hope so!) but having read it I am more convinced than ever that the Stones management is safer in Mick's hands than any fan. I mean really. Reduce ticket prices and perform in small club venues. No need to actually make a profit or even cover your over heads then? Open the vaults now rather than release the final old stuff when sales will be highest (pretty obviously on final retirement or death of one of the three survivors)? Thanks God, Sir Mick actually went to business school.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: September 26, 2010 19:04

I'd just encourage them to be more active making albums. The more they worked together the better the results would be. Time is not on their side....

Date: September 26, 2010 19:33

skipstone
Do you mean the "majority of Stones fans are satisfied with the status quo of mega tours, and repetitive stadium shows saturated with the same old warhorses tour, after tour, after tour, after tour, after tour, after tour.................................." here at iorr.org or in general?

I think getting rid of Chuck would be the best step - that would be a key component to removing part of the whole Vegas trip.

Get rid of Bernard and Lisa and Blondie. They don't really add anything - it's BORING.

Bring back Ian McLagan.

Unfortunately probably both, although I was referring specifically to the list based on the percentage of responses received (in favor of some form of change) compared to membership in totality. I guess I was expecting a lot more responses in favor of change.

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: September 26, 2010 20:06

Get another lead singer

...and fire Chuck L.

Date: September 26, 2010 20:08

colonial
Anyone brave enough to even suggest to The Rolling Stones that they could make a few changes.Well ya' can be sure of one thing Mick..Keith..Charlie and Ronnie will all be the judge of that..and even then Mick will make the final decision..
Half the time these managers are only "Yes men" anyway..

And now that you have identified the problem?

Colonial,

Hey mate, not to say that Mick Jagger hasn't made his share of good decisions, that in itself is a massive understatement, however, he is human and doesn't always get it right. Sometimes you can just be to close to something to see it for what it really is. Can you honestly say that (especially after ABcool smiley that they couldn't benefit from having a "Jimmy Miller" in their camp these days? I like Don Was a person but it is doubtful he has it in him to really get in their faces and challenge them to dig down deep and produce the kind of music they are truly capable of producing.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 26, 2010 20:28

stonescrow
Thanks for all the great ideas. Seems most of us that responded are pretty much in agreement, however, I have to admit that I am a little surprised by the overall lack of interest in this topic. Based on the numbers it very well could be that the majority of Stones fans are satisfied with the status quo of mega tours, and repetitive stadium shows saturated with the same old warhorses tour, after tour, after tour, after tour, after tour, after tour..................................

Nope. Its more a case of a sense of 'disenchantment fatigue' and a sense of hopelessness as to getting anything changed.

This is certainly not a dig at you, but this forum and every other one has been replete for years with comments and threads by fans on how they'd like to see things changed for the better.

Date: September 26, 2010 20:32

Lady Jayne
I do take on board that this is a Utopian wish list rather than serious managerial suggestions (I hope so!) but having read it I am more convinced than ever that the Stones management is safer in Mick's hands than any fan. I mean really. Reduce ticket prices and perform in small club venues. No need to actually make a profit or even cover your over heads then? Open the vaults now rather than release the final old stuff when sales will be highest (pretty obviously on final retirement or death of one of the three survivors)? Thanks God, Sir Mick actually went to business school.

Personally, ticket prices have never been an issue for me, although they undoubtedly are to many. The stadium shows I can accept, however, it is time to dump the warhorses, and bring some brand new material to the stage, although I suppose they (the warhorses and stadium shows) go hand in hand. I understand your point about opening up the vaults, however, putting everything you have said here together you ultimately end up supporting the argument that so many on this list continue to make, and that is, that they, (the Stones) are "all about the money". Personally, I don't begrudge them their earnings, however, as a fan I want to see them stop repeating themselves tour after tour and really get down to making the kind of music they are capable of making.

Date: September 26, 2010 20:41

Gazza
stonescrow

Nope. Its more a case of a sense of 'disenchantment fatigue' and a sense of hopelessness as to getting anything changed.

This is certainly not a dig at you, but this forum and every other one has been replete for years with comments and threads by fans on how they'd like
to see things changed for the better.

Gazza,

No offense taken. You are probably right, we are just pissing into the wind with these guys when it comes to expecting anything to change, and yes I am growing weary.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 26, 2010 22:56

Lady Jayne
I do take on board that this is a Utopian wish list rather than serious managerial suggestions (I hope so!) but having read it I am more convinced than ever that the Stones management is safer in Mick's hands than any fan. I mean really. Reduce ticket prices and perform in small club venues. No need to actually make a profit or even cover your over heads then?

Do you think Bob Dylan - to give an example - runs his tours at a loss, despite charging about £50 a ticket, playing in arenas/theatres and not having corporate sponsorship?

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: September 27, 2010 00:29

What???? Going back to little clubs, returning to the root band (getting rid of the back-up musicians) playing more Chuck Berry covers and opening the vaults????? That's NOT change, that's old sock! One thing a band should NEVER EVER DO is to listen to their greatest enemy (yes, their so called fans). If they've listened to their fans in 64 they would've stayed a r&b coverband and would have long since dissappeared into the bluesclub scene, playing as a hobby, remembered only by the bluesfanatics, and we would never had heard Paint it Black etc. Rolling Stones stay away from fanboards, Get some one who has NO history (which includes the so called fans) with you involved, who will "keep on walking and don't look back".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-27 00:31 by behroez.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: September 27, 2010 10:40

stonescrow
yes brother but u have to judge a fan site w perspective no.? a wig or girlfriend thread here will get 20 times the response of an interesting historical thread usually. also this thresd called for some original thought, and fans o the modern institutional stones offerings r often purposely conditioned to not really be critical just to marvel at the rush of it all. beatles lost epstein and the breakup die was cast inexorably. the stones were sowing the seeds of internal schism within 3 to 5 years after oldham got the boot. mick essentially managing the band has had mixed results but imo as assuredly ultimately artistically disasterous as the bitterness between john and paul. the psychology o hierarchy struggle enters and core unity is history. the essence sufdont

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 27, 2010 11:40

stonescrow
as a fan I want to see them stop repeating themselves tour after tour and really get down to making the kind of music they are capable of making.

Absolutely agree with you.

Posted by: R ()
Date: September 27, 2010 16:23

Gazza
Lady Jayne
I do take on board that this is a Utopian wish list rather than serious managerial suggestions (I hope so!) but having read it I am more convinced than ever that the Stones management is safer in Mick's hands than any fan. I mean really. Reduce ticket prices and perform in small club venues. No need to actually make a profit or even cover your over heads then?

Do you think Bob Dylan - to give an example - runs his tours at a loss, despite charging about £50 a ticket, playing in arenas/theatres and not having corporate sponsorship?

Of course he makes money. Do YOU suppose the Stones are prepared to tour endlessly, w/ a five man crew, by bus, playing 3,000 seaters night after night for time immemorial?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 27, 2010 16:26

...a duet with Lady Gaga

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 27, 2010 17:51

skipstone

Bring back Ian McLagan.

this is a epiphany.bless you for speaking the truth !

Date: September 27, 2010 20:32

KeefintheNight82
I'd just encourage them to be more active making albums. The more they worked together the better the results would be. Time is not on their side....

Absolutely agree with everything you have said here. And yes the clock is ticking and if they wait around to much longer it may just strike midnight!

Date: September 27, 2010 20:40

Father Ted
stonescrow
as a fan I want to see them stop repeating themselves tour after tour and really get down to making the kind of music they are capable of making.

Absolutely agree with you.

Now, if we can just get the Stones to listen. Actually, I have this strange feeling that at least someone from their camp is listening in. We can only hope.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1419
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home