Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
What Would You Change If You Were Managing The Rolling Stones?
Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: September 23, 2010 01:53

Purely hypothetical of course, but seriously, what would you change (if anything) if suddenly you were named manager of the Rolling Stones and were given full authority (the final word) on all decisions regarding the future direction of the band?

Re: What Would You Change If You Were Managing The Rolling Stones?
Posted by: NickB ()
Date: September 23, 2010 02:07

Clubs, small clubs that hold max 2000 people.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: September 23, 2010 02:16

My percentage of the take!

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: September 23, 2010 02:19

A decent f**kin album of blues, country etc rather than Grandpa pretending to be a teenager a la Bigger Bang.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: September 23, 2010 02:23

my sex life?

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 23, 2010 02:37

My entrance fee.

then I'd give some "Hausverbot" to some notorious whiners and see if they can get get the pot stirring - listen to what it is - envite them back in - and let 'em stirr it again. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 23, 2010 02:46

1. Lower ticket prices (for whatever shows/tours that are left)

2. Open the vaults. Either special edition release a year through the main label or else setup a collectors record label, releasing outtakes and live material a few times a year. Both audio and DVD.

3. Re-release the Stones complete catalog, all getting the deluxe treatment ala the recent Exile (except for any new/old songs fusions). Re-establish (or build from scratch) SOME kind of respect and integrity for the catalog.

4. An end-all/be-all documentary with all living members ala The Beatles Anthology. Get 'em now before they keel over: in one room, in pairs, alone, any combination--whatever. Talk about every damn nook and cranny of their career. I want "According To The Rolling Stones" but on FILM--and then some.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 23, 2010 03:16

Some serious points there, Justin.

...and real good ones aswell thumbs up

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: September 23, 2010 03:18

You cannot change a thing. Jagger calls all the shots.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 23, 2010 05:17

Jagger should listen to Justin! I was going to say what Justin said but I don't have to he said it all!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 23, 2010 05:46

i would alter their retirement age retroactively 7 years and open the vaults and tell mick he doesn't get to be involved no mo'....

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 23, 2010 06:55

Justin

2. Open the vaults. Either special edition release a year through the main label or else setup a collectors record label, releasing outtakes and live material a few times a year. Both audio and DVD.

3. Re-release the Stones complete catalog, all getting the deluxe treatment ala the recent Exile (except for any new/old songs fusions). Re-establish (or build from scratch) SOME kind of respect and integrity for the catalog.

4. An end-all/be-all documentary with all living members ala The Beatles Anthology. Get 'em now before they keel over: in one room, in pairs, alone, any combination--whatever. Talk about every damn nook and cranny of their career. I want "According To The Rolling Stones" but on FILM--and then some.

On your fourth point, YES! But Mr. Jagger does not appear to want an Anthology-style film about the Stones. Scorcese would have been the guy to do it (his Dylan bio is fantastic) but instead we were treated to a film of a modern-day show. Not bad, but a waste of a great opportunity.

Of course, your point 3 and 4 are right on the money as well. Again, judging from Jagger's attitude in the Exile DVD, he considers any kind of dwelling on the past "bloody boring" and probably would not have the attention span to work on it or work with someone on it.

Date: September 23, 2010 06:58

Justin

On your fourth point, YES! But Mr. Jagger does not appear to want an Anthology-style film about the Stones. Scorcese would have been the guy to do it (his Dylan bio is fantastic) but instead we were treated to a film of a modern-day show. Not bad, but a waste of a great opportunity.

Of course, your point 3 and 4 are right on the money as well. Again, judging from Jagger's attitude in the Exile DVD, he considers any kind of dwelling on the past "bloody boring" and probably would not have the attention span to work on it or work with someone on it.So we are left with the situation of the Stones being the only act of their level of importance without a comprehensive career retrospective on film or on record. An embarrassingly unacceptable situation.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-23 06:58 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: September 23, 2010 08:14

All of the above, plus a few more...

For the last remaining years, I would do as much as possible to include Bill and Mick Taylor, both for concert appearances and in the studio.

I would try to see to it that the Stones behaved with some self-restraint regarding the public; ie, no sniping about each other in the press and no disgraceful antics like getting arrested for beating up girlfriends.

I would make the website MUCH more interactive and fan-friendly. I would start to treat the fans like the huge asset they are instead of just suckers to be squeezed for money.

I would stop the release of sub-par material like much of ABB and insist that they work on it til they came up with something decent.

I would not allow self-indulgent behaviour eg being drunk or stoned onstage.

Mistress Bliss knows how to crack the whip!

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: September 23, 2010 08:56

I would change nothing.."You don't change a winning Team"

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 23, 2010 09:13

colonial

I prefer the saying, "Let's leave it better than we found it"

Right on Justin!

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: September 23, 2010 11:36

NickB
A decent f**kin album of blues, country etc rather than Grandpa pretending to be a teenager a la Bigger Bang.

shallwe make jobsharing? we share the same vision!>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 23, 2010 19:13

It'd be nice to dream right?

As few have already mentioned, these rather "unorthodox" ideas would never see the light of day as long as Mick is around. I've always felt that Mick's unwillingness to celebrate the band's history always hurt the band---probably in very a small way but nevertheless puts them in a position where it seems that the past never happened.

Posted by: R ()
Date: September 23, 2010 20:40

stonescrow
Purely hypothetical of course, but seriously, what would you change (if anything) if suddenly you were named manager of the Rolling Stones and were given full authority (the final word) on all decisions regarding the future direction of the band?

1) Send Mick and Keith out to write eight good songs.

2) Produce DEMO of eight good songs plus four choice covers (including a Chuck Berry and a classic blues or two).

3) Bring full band to REHEARSAL studio to learn the twelve songs - then LEARN them.

4) Record FULL BAND versions of the twelve good songs (no passionless ProTools cut and paste).

5) Release album of above.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 23, 2010 20:46

Make them a member on iorr and have them answer all the questions about recording, equipment, previous and upcoming tours, etc.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 23, 2010 20:46

StonesTod
i would alter their retirement age retroactively 7 years and open the vaults and tell mick he doesn't get to be involved no mo'....
i like what you said about mick

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: September 23, 2010 20:51

Well, all of the above...and I'd tell them to get rid of all the backing musicians, except maybe Bobby Keys and bring Bill, Mick T. & Ian McLagan back...Then apart from a complete Anthologhy-style documentary on their career like it was said here, I'd love to see one of those "Classic Albums" specials about one album where everybody talk about the songs, kinda like the ones about Disraeli Gears or Electric Ladyland (Stones In Exile for me failed to do that in a proper way).

Date: September 23, 2010 21:35

colonial

Colonial,

Hey mate, you know I love the Stones as much as anyone, however, no matter how great anyone may have been, or may still be, there is always room to grow and improve, I happen to believe that the Stones still have a lot of great music left inside of them that has yet to come out. It may take someone close to them that has the guts to get in their faces and challenge them to go to the well one more time?

Date: September 23, 2010 23:01

stonescrow

#1. Call for a meeting. Bring in Donald Trump to tell Ronnie, "You're Fired"!

#2. Hire Mick Taylor and appoint Mick Jagger to be his personal trainer to whip him into shape.

#3. Hire Bill Wyman and lease Air Force One (and crew) from President Obama so Bill will overcome fear of flying.

#4. Inform band there will be no more stadium or arena shows that feature the warhorses, (only clubs and theaters).

#5. Inform band that all members will be present (in studio) for the recording of a new (folksy blues) album consisting of all new material. Twelve songs max.

#6. Inform the band they will be self promoting and booking all future tours and appearances. Pass the collection plate amongst them if necessary.

#7. No more mega tours, just mini tours consisting of roughly 30 shows spread out over three months with nine months off to rest and record new material before next mini tour begins. In other words, one three month mini tour per year.

#8. At least three shows will be recorded from each mini tour and released to DVD at the conclusion of the tour. One show will be broadcast live in theaters world wide per mini tour.

#9. The vault doors will swing wide open with at least two releases per year.

#10. A new documentary.

Date: September 24, 2010 04:08

NickB
Clubs, small clubs that hold max 2000 people.

Sam Cutler agrees with us, that the Stones are at their best in a club or theater setting.

Date: September 24, 2010 04:14

NickB

Absolutely! No need for Mick to keep up the aerobic show any longer. He did it up through ABB and that was good enough. The whole act has become stale, time to switch things up a bit. And no more albums geared to teenagers!

Date: September 24, 2010 04:16

stonescrow
NickB

Absolutely! No need for Mick to keep up the aerobic show any longer. He did it up through ABB and that was good enough. The whole act has become stale, time to switch things up a bit. And no more albums geared to teenagers!

If they are geared to teenagers, it's not working, as teenagers have avoided these albums suppsoedly geared to them in droves. This is all the more reason why they should just make the music they like, and not care who buys it, because the teenagers who want Lady Gaga are not going to buy it anyway. They're stupid, but not that stupid.

Date: September 24, 2010 04:24

Justin

Justin,

I have a five part (five disc) documentary on the Stones called The Rolling Stones: Just for the Record. Each disc is devoted to one decade starting with the sixties right through the Licks tour in the mid 2000's. It was not authorized by the Rolling Stones but is actually quite good and I would think a must for any hardcore Stones fan. I picked it up at Borders several years ago and have watched it numerous times.

Date: September 24, 2010 04:26

71Tele
stonescrow
NickB

If they are geared to teenagers, it's not working, as teenagers have avoided these albums suppsoedly geared to them in droves. This is all the more reason why they should just make the music they like, and not care who buys it, because the teenagers who want Lady Gaga are not going to buy it anyway. They're stupid, but not that stupid.

Exactly!

Date: September 24, 2010 04:27

R
stonescrow

1) Send Mick and Keith out to write eight good songs.

2) Produce DEMO of eight good songs plus four choice covers (including a Chuck Berry and a classic blues or two).

3) Bring full band to REHEARSAL studio to learn the twelve songs - then LEARN them.

4) Record FULL BAND versions of the twelve good songs (no passionless ProTools cut and paste).

5) Release album of above.

Excellent ideas.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1499
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home