Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
O/T Fender Telecaster Deluxe
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 16, 2011 21:28

I've finallt decided to sell my old trusty Tele, having 5 guitars and a banjo is not popular with the bread knife, sohe's gotta go. Just wondered if any of you had any ideas how much I could expect to get for it? It's a 1972 model natural wood, some varnish off the fret board and a dead pick up (although I was told this wouldn't be much of a job to put right) It's got the two humbuckers with the fender inscription on each.

Re: O/T Fender Telecaster Deluxe
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 16, 2011 21:35

if you Google that guitar, they sell new for $600-750. So I don't think you'll get more than $350-400 for it. How old is it?

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: August 16, 2011 21:45

Sorry you have to see it, unless of course you don't want it. You might try the the The Fender Forum The guys over there might be able to help out.

Posted by: OlRiddim ()
Date: August 16, 2011 21:57

From the voice of experience: don't sell it.

Skip meals; sell blood; do whatever you gotta do - just don't sell it. Nobody's going to pay what that guitar might be worth to you someday.

21 years later and I still regret saying goodbye to the Tele Deluxe that I figured at the time "I'll just never play again."

But ... you weren't looking for advice from the broken-hearted, were you?

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 16, 2011 22:09

1972 model?

Didn't Fender start produce the deluxes later?? The Customs first year was 1972.

Is it an original? ie from the '70's??

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 16, 2011 22:13

MadMax
1972 model?

Didn't Fender start produce the deluxes later?? The Customs first year was 1972.

Is it an original? ie from the '70's??

Both models where presented at the NAMM guitar fair in '72, but didn't actually get into production until late '72, with the first guitars reaching the shops in early '73. Neck dates of December '72 exist, but are very, very rare.

Mathijs

Date: August 16, 2011 22:14

Thanks. I'm not happy at having to sell it, but I rarely play electric guitar these days, my days of being in bands are over. I play my three acoustics as the house is too small for electric, so it seems a waste having it laid under the bed for years. We've been together since 1980 so it will hurt.

I was told when I bought it that it was a 72 model and I think I once checked this and it was correct.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-16 22:15 by crumbling_mice.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 16, 2011 22:25

sell a car, sell a house, sell a stock, breakup with a girlfriend, divorce a wife, lose a friend, stop going to a favorite bar/restaurant ...BUT NEVER SELL YOUR GUITAR....NEVER SELL YOUR GUITAR.

If you can find 5 people here who say different, and tell you how happy they are about selling a guitar then I may be wrong, but I have NEVER heard one single story where someone was happy about selling a guitar. Keep it under the bed.

Someone will pay you 20 cents on the dollar, you dont need the money... the money will slip through your hands... but your guitar will alwasys be there for you.

NO ONE IS EVER HAPPY AFTER SELLING A GUITAR... NO ONE.

People are happy to get rid of junker cars and bad girlfriends... but no one is happy to sell a guitar... cuz once she is gone... you will be sad.

FORGETABOUTIT... LEAVE HER UNDER THE BED... think about it.... for the next 5 years.

DONT SELL YOUR GUITAR.

I am not sure, did I make my point clear?
DO NOT SELL YOUR GUITAR.

PS
Note to self- Max, be sure to come back and read this next
time you need money and are considering selling one of your guitars.
DONT DO IT.

Date: August 16, 2011 22:32

Max'sKansasCity
sell a car, sell a house, sell a stock, breakup with a girlfriend, divorce a wife, lose a friend, stop going to a favorite bar/restaurant ...BUT NEVER SELL YOUR GUITAR....NEVER SELL YOUR GUITAR.

If you can find 5 people here who say different, and tell you how happy they are about selling a guitar then I may be wrong, but I have NEVER heard one single story where someone was happy about selling a guitar. Keep it under the bed.

Someone will pay you 20 cents on the dollar, you dont need the money... the money will slip through your hands... but your guitar will alwasys be there for you.

People are happy to get rid of junker cars and bad girlfriends... but no one is happy to sell a guitar... cuz once she is gone... you will be sad.

FORGETABOUTIT... LEAVE HER UNDER THE BED... think about it.... for the next 5 years.

DONT SELL YOUR GUITAR.

DO NOT SELL YOUR GUITAR.

PS
DONT DO IT.

Max...I agree mate, you are cracking me up - but I get the message!

Date: August 16, 2011 22:34

crumbling_mice
Max'sKansasCity

DONT SELL YOUR GUITAR.

DO NOT SELL YOUR GUITAR.

PS
DONT DO IT.

Max...I agree mate, you are cracking me up - but I get the message!

GOOD smiling smiley... cuz I am talking to both of us... you and me smiling smiley

Hard times make me cast my eyes upon my babies... but I turn away.

i will die with them...then someone else can handle it....
but selling them ..... sigh...... that is one regret I do not want.

Date: August 16, 2011 22:39

.....I'd still like to know how much the old bugger is worth! confused smiley

Date: August 16, 2011 22:50

Take her into a pawn shop. They will give you the worst bid around, but at least you will know tha tthe value can only go up from there.

If she is not worth $25,000 or more ... keep her forever... give her to your kids... or give it to someone who will love her... but you dont need 600 bucks...

If she is worth $5000 today... she will be worth $10,000 in 5 years and $25,000 in 2040... sell her then... but dont sell her today.

Date: August 16, 2011 22:53

smileys with beer

Date: August 16, 2011 22:54

....AND... Dont do ANY work on her... leave the dead pickup alone. The collectors are are nutty about that type of stuff. And dont let any wackos start twisting( "adjusting" ) the truss nut and dont let em start pulling off the neck... or anything.... leave her be.

There are lot of websites about fenders and the anal things collectors look for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-16 22:55 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 16, 2011 23:01

Max speaks the truth. The absolute truth.

And I hear you about life taking an acoustic turn (and even then, at the root of so many great rock tunes lies an acoustic guitar, as we all know), but it's still not a good reason to say goodbye to your Tele.

If nothing else, you may know the joy of placing it in the hands of someone you care about and opening up a whole new world for them.

Hoodoo, voodoo, magic, gris gris - I don't care what you call it. It's in that guitar and few of us are capable of handling it properly all the time. We think we know when we're done with it, but we really aren't.

Hang on to it for a bit ... you'll see.

Date: August 16, 2011 23:07

...... Hoodoo, voodoo, magic, gris gris -

yeah man grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-16 23:10 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 16, 2011 23:16

Well, you have persuaded me between the two of you, and made me laugh. I don't need the money you are right, I was just thinking it was wasted in it's box. Maybe I should link it up with the Jam Man that I got two christmases ago and have still not opened!

Date: August 16, 2011 23:19

Put 'er there, Max - we saved a soul.

And cheers to you, CM. Hard to know where that ol' girl might lead you - but you're not the one in charge.

Play on, man.

Date: August 16, 2011 23:29

OlRiddim
Put 'er there, Max - we saved a soul.

And cheers to you, CM. Hard to know where that ol' girl might lead you - but you're not the one in charge.

Play on, man.

CHEERS OlRiddim ! ! ! smileys with beer

Date: August 16, 2011 23:33

crumbling_mice
Well, you have persuaded me between the two of you, and made me laugh. I don't need the money you are right, I was just thinking it was wasted in it's box. Maybe I should link it up with the Jam Man that I got two christmases ago and have still not opened!

YEAAAAAHHHH!!!!

ps
Just making sure... "under your bed"... thats not a water bed, is it?
cuz as a rule of thumb... dont keep guns or guitars under water beds smiling smiley

pps
You will happier in the future knowing you kept her, at least you wont be sad,
and as OlRiddim said .... "We are not in charge"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-16 23:38 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 16, 2011 23:37

lmfao - deffo the gris gris, or the voodoo. She stays under the bed...not a water bed!

Date: August 16, 2011 23:39

Our work here is done... CHEEERS smileys with beer

Date: August 16, 2011 23:48

NEXT!

We're here to help.

Date: August 16, 2011 23:55

I am truly SAVED! Praise the lawd!

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 16, 2011 23:56

I had a Tele Custom, vintage 72....bought it for about 600 in 88. Mine eventually got stolen (don't ever loan out vintage, valuable instruments to musician friends...ever!) but i've since wanted to find another one and I haven't seen anything under $1000 - if its all original. I wish I could find one under 600.
If its original, you should be able to get a pretty penny. Or you could sell it to me. under 600.....lol.
I would hold onto it and do some research, because those guitars had a limited run, and are more rare than a standard Tele.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-16 23:57 by stupidguy2.

Date: August 17, 2011 00:04

Cheers stupid (that sounds so offensive!) but those guys really did make me think twice. It's a brilliant guitar and whilst isn't the classic tele sound it roars when cranked up through a valve set up. If I ever re-consider, I'll come to you first no worries.

Date: August 17, 2011 04:31

crumbling_mice
Cheers stupid (that sounds so offensive!) but those guys really did make me think twice. It's a brilliant guitar and whilst isn't the classic tele sound it roars when cranked up through a valve set up. If I ever re-consider, I'll come to you first no worries.

Cheers...
I was a kid, didn't have alot of money and saved up for mine. I knew I wanted a tele, but they music store I went to only had the Tele Custom available and affordable, so it was kind of an accident.
I recognized the weird-shaped pick-guard and thought it was ugly, then I found out it was the same model Keith used: the black one on the 81 tour.
If I were you, I'd hold onto your deluxe. Standard teles are common place, but that baby is special. Has more of trebly (twangy) sound, more punky and less warm than a standard, but unique. Looks cool too.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-17 04:35 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 17, 2011 05:23

crumbling_mice
I've finallt decided to sell my old trusty Tele, having 5 guitars and a banjo is not popular with the bread knife, sohe's gotta go. Just wondered if any of you had any ideas how much I could expect to get for it? It's a 1972 model natural wood, some varnish off the fret board and a dead pick up (although I was told this wouldn't be much of a job to put right) It's got the two humbuckers with the fender inscription on each.

If it really is a '72 Deluxe, I'll buy it for $400 right now.

Date: August 17, 2011 05:58

Have you guys seen the reproductions? Their uncanny, with the marks and everything. But they're made in Mexico. Look cool, but not the real thing....

Date: August 17, 2011 11:20

It's definatly a 72 model. I had a similar experience to you stupid, I was a teenager and was saving up for an old standard Tele but at the time there were few around and way too much for me. The guy in the shop said his freind was selling a deluxe and it was worth me having a look. When I saw it I was amazed, it was in perfect condition, amazing natural wood and I loved the humbuckers with the old fender engraved on them. Plugged it in and wow, it had a hell of a kick and with the right settings I could make it sound like a Gibson or a telecaster. For years I played in bands with it and it always sounded much better than the guys with the Ibanez, Yamaha and all those other japanese models and even gave a few fenders and gibson's a run for their money. The neck is essentially the same as a strat so it's so easy to play. In fact since I thought about selling it and had my mind changed by max and riddum, I'm gonna trade my old marshall valvestate in for a small combo which I can play in the house - annoy the hell out of my old lady!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2778
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home