Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Copyright Infringement - partly Stones related - french
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: August 18, 2011 18:50

You don't even need to mismash that with the translator

Hyper links suffice to get it

[www.gqmagazine.fr]

Re: Copyright Infringement - partly Stones related - french
Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: August 18, 2011 18:52

What's wrong with Rod in that one? He's WASTED!

Date: August 18, 2011 18:52

I guess I've never realised just how much Mick ripped Rod off with Miss You. That's amazing. He totally lifted that tune!

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: August 18, 2011 18:59

DragonSky
I guess I've never realised just how much Mick ripped Rod off with Miss You. That's amazing. He totally lifted that tune!

Most of the music for this song was written by drummer Carmine Appice, who had recently joined Stewart's band. Appice told us: "We were in the studio and 'Miss You' by The Rolling Stones was a big hit. Rod was always a guy that used to listen to what was going on around him. He was always looking at the charts and listening. He was a big fan of The Rolling Stones, so when they came out with Miss You, Disco was really big at the time, so he wanted to do some kind of Disco-y song, something like 'Miss You,' nothing like Gloria Gaynor. With the band, he would always tell us, 'I want a song like this' or 'I want a song like that,' so I went home and I came up with a bunch or chords and a melody. I presented it to him via a friend of mine, Duane Hitchings, who is a songwriter who had a little studio. We went in his studio with his drum machines and his keyboards, and he made my chords sound better. We gave Rod a demo of the verses and the bridge, and Rod came up with the chorus. We played it with the band many, many ways before we got the correct arrangement with Tom Dowd. Unfortunately, they put so much stuff on it that it dwarfed the sound of the band. It made the band sound smaller because it had strings and 2 or 3 keyboard players, congas, and drums. When we were doing it, we thought it was going to be more like The Rolling Stones with just the band playing it. It came out and went to #1 everywhere."

Date: August 18, 2011 19:11

Wasn't that live version in that copyright infringement thing from 1975?

Date: August 18, 2011 19:12

Oh, I was looking at it backwards.

OK so Rod ripped off Mick!? Either way, they are very similar, with the breakdowns and the bass runs...

Posted by: bbkink ()
Date: August 18, 2011 19:17

Um,check out the string arrangement on this Bobby Womack number!

BOBBY WOMACK-(IF YOU WANT MY LOVE)PUT SOMETHING DOWN ON IT

[savoirfaire-hoorayforhollywood.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-18 19:19 by bbkink.

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: August 19, 2011 04:11

Has anyone heard of Jorge Ben's "Taj Mahal" yet? That's another song that Rod Stewart (and Carmine Appice) ripped off for "D'Ya Think I'm Sexy?" Mr. Ben actually sued Stewart and Appice, with the terms of the settlement being Stewart and Appice giving proceeds from "Sexy" to UNICEF.

On a spin, the artist named Taj Mahal (real name: Henry St. Clair) actually recorded a song called "Jorge Ben," employing the same melody, in which the title is the only lyric you ever hear.

I wonder if the Stones' "Miss You" was also inspired by the Jorge Ben tune?

~Ben

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-19 04:20 by BrianJones1969.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1623
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home