Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith on HMS Victory
Posted by: tonym ()
Date: July 29, 2011 15:32

A friend who's a journalist sent me this press release - great story about Keith!

News Release

HMS Victory Rocks!

Keith Richards is more used to being snapped on the stage of international arenas and stadiums, but he kindly took time out to pose for a photo on the gangway of HMS Victory as he visited Portsmouth Historic Dockyard with his family yesterday (27th July).

A founding member of The Rolling Stones, Keith Richards, named as the “10th great guitarist of all time” (Rolling Stone Magazine, 2003) said that he had a brilliant time visiting Nelson’s flagship and had been keen to go onboard having remembered seeing it on a school trip.

Spokeswoman for Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, Melissa Gerbaldi said “there was a real buzz on the site once we knew that he was paying us a visit. It’s not every day you have the chance to meet a rock legend and he was very charming and down to earth with a real interest in all the attractions we have within the Historic Dockyard.”

Keith briefly chatted to Melissa about how he grew up reading C. S. Forester's novels about Horatio Hornblower and then later Patrick O’Brian’s novels on which ‘Master and Commander’ was based. He was also proud of having starred in two of the ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ films as Captain Jack Sparrow’s father (Captain Teague). Johnny Depp is also reported to have based many of his character’s mannerisms on Keith Richards.

He was thoroughly impressed by the sheer magnificence of the ship as he approached the arena and the intricacies of the rigging, having read about the restoration work currently taking place on the top masts.

Following a private tour of the ship, Keith posed for photos with guests at a function in the National Museum of the Royal Navy opposite, as well as sign autographs for delighted staff.

This isn’t the first time that a rock star has been keen to visit the site, last year Aerosmith’s guitarist Joe Perry also visited and posted a blog saying ‘Visited Admiral Nelson’s ship yesterday, it was a dream come true.’ He also posted a photo of himself standing proudly in front the ship.

Re: Keith on HMS Victory
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 29, 2011 15:33

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 29, 2011 17:14

tonym
A friend who's a journalist sent me this press release - great story about Keith!

News Release

HMS Victory Rocks!
He also posted a photo of himself standing proudly in front the ship.

Thanks man,
imuho it is better to 2X post for something like this (a thread actually dealing with Stones news) than missing it altogether... and I would rather see 2 posts on this topic, than a lot of the other silly topics some keep starting.....

Thanks for the heads up smiling smiley

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: July 29, 2011 17:42

Not too far from where he lives in Connecticut.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 29, 2011 18:17

DragonSky
Not too far from where he lives in Connecticut.

It's only a stonethrow away from West Wittering, Chichester,UK.
...where he still has a home.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: July 29, 2011 19:52

Oops. I was thinking of the one in New Hampshire.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1515
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home